Official 2012 San Francisco 49ers Offseason Thread

Originally Posted by What up

Alex Smith played 28:18 of the 28:18 the 49ers had the ball in the NFC Championship Game.

Alex Smith was on the field for 100% of the first downs we got the entire game.

Alex Smith accounted for 100% of the passes to WR's in that game.

So yeah, it was Alex holding the team back ..
Like I said. Alex was the reason whe even got to the NFCCG by outplaying Brees in the 4tth. Alex also threw two beautiful passes for TD's in the NFCCG. Alex consistently hit VD all game and did so all year, on short AND long passes. What sets VD apart from the other receivers? He can actually create space. 

Originally Posted by What up

Alex Smith played 28:18 of the 28:18 the 49ers had the ball in the NFC Championship Game.

Alex Smith was on the field for 100% of the first downs we got the entire game.

Alex Smith accounted for 100% of the passes to WR's in that game.

So yeah, it was Alex holding the team back ..
Like I said. Alex was the reason whe even got to the NFCCG by outplaying Brees in the 4tth. Alex also threw two beautiful passes for TD's in the NFCCG. Alex consistently hit VD all game and did so all year, on short AND long passes. What sets VD apart from the other receivers? He can actually create space. 

I miss Jeff Garcia...............as much flack as he got the last year in a Niner Jersey, dude was a huge surprise after Steve Young`s career was ended.

I miss Jeff Garcia...............as much flack as he got the last year in a Niner Jersey, dude was a huge surprise after Steve Young`s career was ended.

Steve Bono........Elvis Grbac.........Jim Druckenmiller (should have been what Rothlesburger is right now)........Ty Detmer........Steve Stenstrom.......Giovanny Carmazzi.........Tim Rattay............Shaun Hill........Ken Dorsey (Anyone else remember that experiment?).........Cody Pickett......Trend Dilfer.....Chris Weinke.....J.T. O`Sullivan........Troy Smith.........SMH.

I remember all these dudes.............**%# im old.........smh

Steve Bono........Elvis Grbac.........Jim Druckenmiller (should have been what Rothlesburger is right now)........Ty Detmer........Steve Stenstrom.......Giovanny Carmazzi.........Tim Rattay............Shaun Hill........Ken Dorsey (Anyone else remember that experiment?).........Cody Pickett......Trend Dilfer.....Chris Weinke.....J.T. O`Sullivan........Troy Smith.........SMH.

I remember all these dudes.............**%# im old.........smh

Originally Posted by NikeTalker23

Originally Posted by dland24

Out of the 64 games the last four years, Alex started only started 36 and that includes this last year. So yeah, it was Alex holding the team back 
eyes.gif
But I'm sure you'll avoid responding after a logical rebuttal is presented just like you did in the Moss thread.

Have a good day sir.

So you want me to say that Alex is better than JT O'Sullivan, Shaun Hill and Troy Smith?  Fine.  Alex Smith is better than those guys.  Just because he is better than those guys doesnt mean that we arent being held back by the quarterback position.

Don't try to change what you said. You didn't say we were being held back by the QB position, you specifically said Alex.  

Im not changing what I said.  I specifically said Alex.  In those years that you told me to look up, our team AND our quarterback werent good.  Now our team is great, and our quarterback is average at best.  So we are being held back.

And I still firmly believe, as bad as our team was in 2009 and 2010, if we had a good QB, we would have been a playoff team.

Out of the 64 games the last four years, Alex started only started 36 and that includes this last year. So yeah, it was Alex holding the team back 
eyes.gif
But I'm sure you'll avoid responding after a logical rebuttal is presented just like you did in the Moss thread.

Have a good day sir.

So you want me to say that Alex is better than JT O'Sullivan, Shaun Hill and Troy Smith?  Fine.  Alex Smith is better than those guys.  Just because he is better than those guys doesnt mean that we arent being held back by the quarterback position.

Don't try to change what you said. You didn't say we were being held back by the QB position, you specifically said Alex.  

Im not changing what I said.  I specifically said Alex.  In those years that you told me to look up, our team AND our quarterback werent good.  Now our team is great, and our quarterback is average at best.  So we are being held back.

And I still firmly believe, as bad as our team was in 2009 and 2010, if we had a good QB, we would have been a playoff team.

We fielded, im going to say 90% of the same team in 2011 than we did in 2010. Yet we were a SB caliber team in 2011. Hmm, I wonder what changed that made us that much better. Surely our new QB made us into a contender since our last one was holding us back..Oh wait, same QB. Surely it was our whole new defensive roster that made us contenders..Oh wait, damn near same roster. So what changed? Hmm..Oh yes! Coaching! We finally got a good coach..

Get your head out your $%#..

We fielded, im going to say 90% of the same team in 2011 than we did in 2010. Yet we were a SB caliber team in 2011. Hmm, I wonder what changed that made us that much better. Surely our new QB made us into a contender since our last one was holding us back..Oh wait, same QB. Surely it was our whole new defensive roster that made us contenders..Oh wait, damn near same roster. So what changed? Hmm..Oh yes! Coaching! We finally got a good coach..

I dont see the point you are making.  First of all, our defense was completely revamped.  If you dont think adding a Probowl CB, a very good safety, an ALL PRO linebacker and one of the best rookie pass rushers in NFL history to our already good defense was important, I dont know what to tell you.

And of course coaching made a hell of a difference.  We finally had a respectable system in place.  We finally had a coach that could maximize players potential by hiding their weaknesses.....which is where Alex Smith comes into play.  If you think he was some completely different QB than he was in the past, you are sorely mistaken.  Yes, he limited his turnovers....which was amazing.  But like you alluded to....that was coaching, not some incredible improvement by Alex. 

If we hope to go as far or further next season than we did last, we need more production out of our QB.  I dont see how you, or anyone who knows anything about football could disagree.

I dont see the point you are making.  First of all, our defense was completely revamped.  If you dont think adding a Probowl CB, a very good safety, an ALL PRO linebacker and one of the best rookie pass rushers in NFL history to our already good defense was important, I dont know what to tell you.

And of course coaching made a hell of a difference.  We finally had a respectable system in place.  We finally had a coach that could maximize players potential by hiding their weaknesses.....which is where Alex Smith comes into play.  If you think he was some completely different QB than he was in the past, you are sorely mistaken.  Yes, he limited his turnovers....which was amazing.  But like you alluded to....that was coaching, not some incredible improvement by Alex. 

If we hope to go as far or further next season than we did last, we need more production out of our QB.  I dont see how you, or anyone who knows anything about football could disagree.

No matter what happens I will never be able to feel comfortable with the 49ers fate being in Alex Smith's hands...

just sayin

No matter what happens I will never be able to feel comfortable with the 49ers fate being in Alex Smith's hands...

just sayin

I can't recall a play where Alex completed a pass to a secondary receiver that wasn't one of the RBs, and I don't know if anybody here would be able to recall one either. That's the main reason I don't trust him.

Also, yes NT23, VD had 2 TDs in the NFCCG. But for the game he had 3 catches. Now, this is where Alex comes into play and why I don't trust him. VD could've had 4 catches and 3 TDs but on that 3rd and 5 in the red zone where Alex threw the 3 yarder to Crabs (an inaccurate one at that) VD was all by himself in the back of the endzone. Had Alex been looking up to keep the play alive rather than keeping himself alive he very well may have seen him for the go ahead TD.

I can't recall a play where Alex completed a pass to a secondary receiver that wasn't one of the RBs, and I don't know if anybody here would be able to recall one either. That's the main reason I don't trust him.

Also, yes NT23, VD had 2 TDs in the NFCCG. But for the game he had 3 catches. Now, this is where Alex comes into play and why I don't trust him. VD could've had 4 catches and 3 TDs but on that 3rd and 5 in the red zone where Alex threw the 3 yarder to Crabs (an inaccurate one at that) VD was all by himself in the back of the endzone. Had Alex been looking up to keep the play alive rather than keeping himself alive he very well may have seen him for the go ahead TD.

I think I have a clean slate with Alex smith after last season.. He showed the ability to play efficient and win games. I dont expect big plays from him, but the coaching staff has come up with a formula that works for him. I think after one year, Jim can implement more plays for alex and his strengths. I think he'll have another good season.

Id still rather have Manning tho

I think I have a clean slate with Alex smith after last season.. He showed the ability to play efficient and win games. I dont expect big plays from him, but the coaching staff has come up with a formula that works for him. I think after one year, Jim can implement more plays for alex and his strengths. I think he'll have another good season.

Id still rather have Manning tho

Originally Posted by Lightweight Champion

Thank you.

Yes, Alex was incredibly efficient in 2011.  But with that efficiency, came a huge lack of production.  Alex leaves more plays on the field than any quarterback I can remember watching.  The NFCCG was just great example of this.  The play you just mentioned cost us a touchdown.  Kyle Williams being overthrown by more than 5 yards cost us a touchdown.  Alex not identifying a wide open Delanie Walker on the first play of the second half (IIRC) cost us a touchdown.  So right off the top of my head, thats three plays in the NFCCG that having a better quarterback would have resulted in a touchdown. 

It takes more than just not turning the ball over to be considered a good quarterback in this league.  Its reading the field....its identifying blitzes and coverage presnap....its throwing WRs open....its making throws into tight windows on a regular basis....and its going through progressions and hitting non primary targets.  These are things that Alex Smith is very, very poor at doing. 

I was all for Alex coming back after the season ended....but thats before Peyton Manning was available.  We need to at least kick the tires on him.  And if we dont get him, fine.  At least we tried.  If we end up with Alex as our QB next season, we need to see a substantial improvement.  We arent going to be able to get by with his efficient, lack of production type play against a first place schedule.

Back
Top Bottom