Official 2012 San Francisco 49ers Offseason Thread

Originally Posted by Lightweight Champion

Also, yes NT23, VD had 2 TDs in the NFCCG. But for the game he had 3 catches. Now, this is where Alex comes into play and why I don't trust him. VD could've had 4 catches and 3 TDs but on that 3rd and 5 in the red zone where Alex threw the 3 yarder to Crabs (an inaccurate one at that) VD was all by himself in the back of the endzone. Had Alex been looking up to keep the play alive rather than keeping himself alive he very well may have seen him for the go ahead TD.
Thank you.

Yes, Alex was incredibly efficient in 2011.  But with that efficiency, came a huge lack of production.  Alex leaves more plays on the field than any quarterback I can remember watching.  The NFCCG was just great example of this.  The play you just mentioned cost us a touchdown.  Kyle Williams being overthrown by more than 5 yards cost us a touchdown.  Alex not identifying a wide open Delanie Walker on the first play of the second half (IIRC) cost us a touchdown.  So right off the top of my head, thats three plays in the NFCCG that having a better quarterback would have resulted in a touchdown. 

It takes more than just not turning the ball over to be considered a good quarterback in this league.  Its reading the field....its identifying blitzes and coverage presnap....its throwing WRs open....its making throws into tight windows on a regular basis....and its going through progressions and hitting non primary targets.  These are things that Alex Smith is very, very poor at doing. 

I was all for Alex coming back after the season ended....but thats before Peyton Manning was available.  We need to at least kick the tires on him.  And if we dont get him, fine.  At least we tried.  If we end up with Alex as our QB next season, we need to see a substantial improvement.  We arent going to be able to get by with his efficient, lack of production type play against a first place schedule.

So it looks like Meacham is off the board now. So all this "all we need are WRs" talk that NT23 and other Alex apologists keep bringing up will be a recurring theme in 2012 as well (unless Randy miraculously becomes that top flight receiver again).

How are we supposed to upgrade our WRs if we arent even setting up meetings/workouts with any of these guys?

So it looks like Meacham is off the board now. So all this "all we need are WRs" talk that NT23 and other Alex apologists keep bringing up will be a recurring theme in 2012 as well (unless Randy miraculously becomes that top flight receiver again).

How are we supposed to upgrade our WRs if we arent even setting up meetings/workouts with any of these guys?

Now our team is great, and our quarterback is average at best.  So we are being held back.

And I still firmly believe, as bad as our team was in 2009 and 2010, if we had a good QB, we would have been a playoff team.

I agree.  Not saying our current defense is as good as the defense that I'm about to compare them to, but I do believe we are on track to become great................but had the Baltimore Ravens as an organization gotten a solid QB during the prime of Ray Lewis and Ed Reed being together I believe they could have gotten at least 1 Super Bowl together as a unit.  Like I've been saying, we OWE it to our defense, more specifically to the prime and soon to be greatness of Patrick Willis to get a solid QB that can score points for us and not have to settle for field goals.

Alex leaves more plays on the field than any quarterback I can remember watching

100% Truth.  I want everyone to think about this for a second, this year we had David Akers actually break a Jerry Rice record.  That means a field goal kicker broke a long-standing record by a receiver.  Which then means that our offense left points on the field because they didn't score a touchdown, which means Alex Smith didn't do his job properly and score a touchdown for the offense and the team.

Now our team is great, and our quarterback is average at best.  So we are being held back.

And I still firmly believe, as bad as our team was in 2009 and 2010, if we had a good QB, we would have been a playoff team.

I agree.  Not saying our current defense is as good as the defense that I'm about to compare them to, but I do believe we are on track to become great................but had the Baltimore Ravens as an organization gotten a solid QB during the prime of Ray Lewis and Ed Reed being together I believe they could have gotten at least 1 Super Bowl together as a unit.  Like I've been saying, we OWE it to our defense, more specifically to the prime and soon to be greatness of Patrick Willis to get a solid QB that can score points for us and not have to settle for field goals.

Alex leaves more plays on the field than any quarterback I can remember watching

100% Truth.  I want everyone to think about this for a second, this year we had David Akers actually break a Jerry Rice record.  That means a field goal kicker broke a long-standing record by a receiver.  Which then means that our offense left points on the field because they didn't score a touchdown, which means Alex Smith didn't do his job properly and score a touchdown for the offense and the team.

Leonard Davis is meeting with the 9ers

9ers called up Laurent Robinson

Ted Ginn Jr visiting the Lions

Adam Snyder visiting the Cards

I wouldnt mind Laurent Robinson, a core of Crab/Moss/Robinson?

9ers also talking to Mario Manningham

Leonard Davis is meeting with the 9ers

9ers called up Laurent Robinson

Ted Ginn Jr visiting the Lions

Adam Snyder visiting the Cards

I wouldnt mind Laurent Robinson, a core of Crab/Moss/Robinson?

9ers also talking to Mario Manningham

Originally Posted by dland24

Moss, Chillens, Lloyd, Robinson, Manningham?

Bottom line is our WR group is below avg and our QB is avg.  Its well known the niners WR group cant separate and Alex "thinks" too much and plays it conservative.  Blaming it majority/all on one or the other is ridiculous.

Originally Posted by dland24

Moss, Chillens, Lloyd, Robinson, Manningham?

Bottom line is our WR group is below avg and our QB is avg.  Its well known the niners WR group cant separate and Alex "thinks" too much and plays it conservative.  Blaming it majority/all on one or the other is ridiculous.

Thanks for the updates. Was behind on who we were contacting or bringing in. It remains to be seen as to who of that group we would sign though. I dont see us bringing in Manningham or Robinson because they will likely demand more than we would be willing to pay them.....and I dont see Lloyd wanting to come back. He left on relatively bad terms, IIRC. I think he is using us to bring up his asking price. And I dont want Chaz. He is trash that cant stay healthy. No thanks.

Gotta pray that Moss finds his old ways, because I really dont see us bringing in anyone else significant....unless of course we hand Kaep the keys to the offense and use the money saved to bring in a WR.

Thanks for the updates. Was behind on who we were contacting or bringing in. It remains to be seen as to who of that group we would sign though. I dont see us bringing in Manningham or Robinson because they will likely demand more than we would be willing to pay them.....and I dont see Lloyd wanting to come back. He left on relatively bad terms, IIRC. I think he is using us to bring up his asking price. And I dont want Chaz. He is trash that cant stay healthy. No thanks.

Gotta pray that Moss finds his old ways, because I really dont see us bringing in anyone else significant....unless of course we hand Kaep the keys to the offense and use the money saved to bring in a WR.

Kind of sad we let go of Costanzo. Oh well.

Looks like another year of below average WRs
30t6p3b.gif

Originally Posted by Deuce King

All of these!
Ted Ginn talking to the Lions? Please. Let's keep him. He's valuable, I mean look what happened when he didn't play. 
frown.gif

Originally Posted by Deuce King

All of these!
Ted Ginn talking to the Lions? Please. Let's keep him. He's valuable, I mean look what happened when he didn't play. 
frown.gif

^ I agree. I wish they would resign Ginn but I'm sure the Lions would probably pay double for him. 49ers aren't going to overvalue any of their players outside of their core playmakers. Ginn was pretty valuable for them last year though. It really showed in the NFC championship game.

^ I agree. I wish they would resign Ginn but I'm sure the Lions would probably pay double for him. 49ers aren't going to overvalue any of their players outside of their core playmakers. Ginn was pretty valuable for them last year though. It really showed in the NFC championship game.

Back
Top Bottom