Official 2012 San Francisco 49ers Offseason Thread

Originally Posted by acidicality

If Harbaugh didn't want him, then I can live with that. The best thing about him as coach is that I have full faith he will find us a competent QB.
pimp.gif
this.

as much as a majority of us here (except andrew) wanted to give nate a shot, im confident harbaugh actually knows what hes doing.

Talkative tight end Vernon Davis loves the idea of adding quarterback Donovan McNabb to the 49ers’ roster.

That’s what Davis told Terrell Owens during a chat on “The T. Ocho Show,

Talkative tight end Vernon Davis loves the idea of adding quarterback Donovan McNabb to the 49ers’ roster.

That’s what Davis told Terrell Owens during a chat on “The T. Ocho Show,

I'd have no problem signing McNabb for a couple years and drafting a QB in the later rounds. There's really no QB I see worth taking at the 7 spot, I rather use it on a CB or another defensive player. If Locker falls to the 2nd round, would you guys be open to give him a spot?

I'd have no problem signing McNabb for a couple years and drafting a QB in the later rounds. There's really no QB I see worth taking at the 7 spot, I rather use it on a CB or another defensive player. If Locker falls to the 2nd round, would you guys be open to give him a spot?

I'm also down to trade for Kolb or Orton, but that all depends on how many picks we got to give up.

I'm also down to trade for Kolb or Orton, but that all depends on how many picks we got to give up.

^
p sure PHI is asking for 2 first rounders for kolb, and Elway recently just took a dump on Tebow

*edit
looks like elway is doing damage control, saying he believes in Tebow

^
p sure PHI is asking for 2 first rounders for kolb, and Elway recently just took a dump on Tebow

*edit
looks like elway is doing damage control, saying he believes in Tebow

Originally Posted by offbad

^
p sure PHI is asking for 2 first rounders for kolb

Yeah that's what I heard also. That's too much imo. I'd look elsewhere if they stick by that. 

^

Yeah that's what I heard also. That's too much imo. I'd look elsewhere if they stick by that. 

Originally Posted by bbllplaya23

^

they might not have the leverage to stick by their demands though
Kevin Kolb wants out of Philadelphia if the Eagles bring back Michael Vick as their starter, sources tell beat writer Jeff McLane.

Originally Posted by bbllplaya23

^

they might not have the leverage to stick by their demands though
Kevin Kolb wants out of Philadelphia if the Eagles bring back Michael Vick as their starter, sources tell beat writer Jeff McLane.

im from the DMV and tired with Stuff about McNabb, i personally dont think mcNabb would be a good choice, i would prefer Kolb. especially because he is younger.
but its watever

im from the DMV and tired with Stuff about McNabb, i personally dont think mcNabb would be a good choice, i would prefer Kolb. especially because he is younger.
but its watever

• Prev
  • Previous Article

[h2]Columnists[/h2]

[h1]Alex Smith may be best option at QB for 49ers[/h1]

Comments (0) Share Print

By: Andrew630
Columnist

While it wouldn’t be a popular choice, new Niners coach Jim Harbaugh should give Alex Smith, pictured, a long look at QB.

Jim Harbaugh is a quarterback coach who seemingly doesn’t have a quarterback now that he’s come to the 49ers. He might want to talk to Alex Smith and get him to stay.

I know, I know, many 49ers fans would be outraged by that. One of my readers said the 49ers should cut all three of their quarterbacks — Alex Smith, Troy Smith and David Carr — and get a quarterback in the draft.

Easier said than done. This is not a great year for quarterbacks in the draft. There are no sure things like Sam Bradford, Matt Ryan — or Andrew Luck.

The trend in college toward quarterbacks who both run and pass has created a problem for pro teams, who want their quarterback to be a great passer who runs only to escape a blitz.

The latest example of what college quarterbacks have become is Cam Newton, the Heisman Trophy winning quarterback from Auburn. Newton is huge and multitalented, a good runner and passer. In other words, JaMarcus Russell or Tim Tebow.

Newton won’t wash out like Russell because he has an excellent work ethic. He’s more like Tebow, but the belief in the pros is that Tebow will make it because of his athletic ability and drive — but not as a quarterback.

Even if there were a can’t-miss quarterback in the draft, the 49ers wouldn’t have a shot at him because they’re drafting seventh.

They might have a shot at Jake Locker, the Washington quarterback who decided to stay in college for his senior year — and whose draft stock plummeted because he did not have an outstanding year.

Locker is an outstanding athlete with great speed and a strong arm, but he doesn’t seem to have the instincts a top quarterback needs. He’d be a project, not a first-year starter.

Only rarely can a team work a trade for a good quarterback, or sign one as a free agent. The Kansas City Chiefs were able to pick up Matt Cassel, and Cassel was good enough to win the AFC West for the Chiefs.

Not good enough, though, to get them past the Baltimore Ravens in their first playoff game.

The Raiders traded for Jason Campbell in the offseason, and he became a legitimate starter for them in their 8-8 season.

But I wouldn’t say that either Campbell or Cassel is better than Alex Smith.

Smith’s 2010 season was in a way a microcosm of his 49ers career. When he was given good pass protection and supported by a strong defensive effort, he had some great games.

When his pass protection collapsed and the defense did, too, he had poor to mediocre games. Overall, he was in the middle of the pack statistically in the league.

This was under a coach who didn’t understand quarterbacks and jerked him around, putting the one-hit wonder, Troy Smith, back as a starter against the Rams in St. Louis.

Alex might think he has to move on because of the hostility of the 49ers fan base and the local media. But he might also think it would be nice to play for the first time under a pro coach who understands quarterbacks.

Stranger things have happened.

michaelno.gif

• Prev
  • Previous Article

[h2]Columnists[/h2]

Comments (0) Share Print

Columnist

While it wouldn’t be a popular choice, new Niners coach Jim Harbaugh should give Alex Smith, pictured, a long look at QB.

Jim Harbaugh is a quarterback coach who seemingly doesn’t have a quarterback now that he’s come to the 49ers. He might want to talk to Alex Smith and get him to stay.

I know, I know, many 49ers fans would be outraged by that. One of my readers said the 49ers should cut all three of their quarterbacks — Alex Smith, Troy Smith and David Carr — and get a quarterback in the draft.

Easier said than done. This is not a great year for quarterbacks in the draft. There are no sure things like Sam Bradford, Matt Ryan — or Andrew Luck.

The trend in college toward quarterbacks who both run and pass has created a problem for pro teams, who want their quarterback to be a great passer who runs only to escape a blitz.

The latest example of what college quarterbacks have become is Cam Newton, the Heisman Trophy winning quarterback from Auburn. Newton is huge and multitalented, a good runner and passer. In other words, JaMarcus Russell or Tim Tebow.

Newton won’t wash out like Russell because he has an excellent work ethic. He’s more like Tebow, but the belief in the pros is that Tebow will make it because of his athletic ability and drive — but not as a quarterback.

Even if there were a can’t-miss quarterback in the draft, the 49ers wouldn’t have a shot at him because they’re drafting seventh.

They might have a shot at Jake Locker, the Washington quarterback who decided to stay in college for his senior year — and whose draft stock plummeted because he did not have an outstanding year.

Locker is an outstanding athlete with great speed and a strong arm, but he doesn’t seem to have the instincts a top quarterback needs. He’d be a project, not a first-year starter.

Only rarely can a team work a trade for a good quarterback, or sign one as a free agent. The Kansas City Chiefs were able to pick up Matt Cassel, and Cassel was good enough to win the AFC West for the Chiefs.

Not good enough, though, to get them past the Baltimore Ravens in their first playoff game.

The Raiders traded for Jason Campbell in the offseason, and he became a legitimate starter for them in their 8-8 season.

Smith’s 2010 season was in a way a microcosm of his 49ers career. When he was given good pass protection and supported by a strong defensive effort, he had some great games.

When his pass protection collapsed and the defense did, too, he had poor to mediocre games. Overall, he was in the middle of the pack statistically in the league.

This was under a coach who didn’t understand quarterbacks and jerked him around, putting the one-hit wonder, Troy Smith, back as a starter against the Rams in St. Louis.

Alex might think he has to move on because of the hostility of the 49ers fan base and the local media. But he might also think it would be nice to play for the first time under a pro coach who understands quarterbacks.

michaelno.gif

• Prev
  • Previous Article

[h2]Columnists[/h2]

Comments (0) Share Print

Columnist

michaelno.gif

what the hell?

• Prev
  • Previous Article

[h2]Columnists[/h2]

Comments (0) Share Print

Columnist

michaelno.gif

what the hell?

Did the author of that article really just say that Alex Smith is better than Matt Cassel?
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

Did the author of that article really just say that Alex Smith is better than Matt Cassel?
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

Back
Top Bottom