Official 2012 US Open Thread ( Vol. Kimmy's Last Run)

Laura takes the 1st set TB from Kimmy! 
eek.gif

Not hard to retire when nobody gives a damn about you anymore, must suck to retire and in a year nobody will remember you even played

^^^ Having seen Brooklyn Decker, I think Roddick's got some decent reasons to spend more time at home.

Meh, Not surprised of Andy's retirement, He wasn't able to compete with the big names (or the top 3).

It was just time...

Somewhere KLJ is crying in his sleep
laugh.gif

But seriously dude is one of my tennis idols. Andy Roddick's serve > Your favorite tennis player's favorite swing

I'll miss Andy. IMO too many tennis fans have unfairly bashed this guy for years. People questioned his heart and said his heart pumped Kool Aid when in reality dude maximized the talent he had. Andy had one weapon and he rode that weapon to numerous titles, millions of dollars, a gorgeous wife and a US Open title. He improved his fitness, changed coaches, changed his technique to get more pace on his groundies but ultimately, none of that mattered when you're in an era with two of the GOATs and a guy on the verge of being one of the GOATs. People need to realize that Andy's game was average to below average for this era outside of his serve and he truly tried everything in his power to improve. I'd even argue, which I have on this site, that had he been playing in the Sampras/Agassi era he would have more GS titles to his name. The depth in men's tennis is unreal nowadays.

If he was always being ousted from Touneys by those top 3 guys I would agree but far too often he lost to less talented guys

That 2009 Wimbledon was one of the greatest matches i've ever seen. Really wished Andy could've pulled that one off. In fact, those Wimbledon finals from 07-09 was crazy. I remember Andy said "I threw the kitchen sink (@ Federer), but he threw the kitchen". For shame he couldn't edge out one more GS....

Yea as much as I've hated on him, it kinda sucks to see him go. Here's hoping he has one last hurrah in him in Queens. I may need to buy tickets now to catch him live one more time. Blake looking good :pimp:

Gunna, what lesser players was he losing to? Andy's serve is top five material but every other aspect of his game was average for atp standards. Once you get Andy in a rally he was usually toast. His forehand wasn't flat enough, his movement was decent not great, his backhand was decent. Andy rode his serve as far as it would take him which is incredible. The fact that he was able to be a top ten player with his limited game speaks volumes about his heart and determination. Andy is like the Elena Dementieva of men's tennis only in reverse. Her game ground game was the equivalent to his serve, she never won a major but he did.

I've said this before... but I've always felt that Andy underperformed too much.  With a serve as huge as his and an above-average forehand (I hated his backhand), I felt he should have won a few more slams.  Sure, he's "unlucky" to be playing with this generation, but I'm sure he can look at a few of his huge-matches and pick key moments where he should have done better.  Like his huge Wimbledon final vs Fed.  I remember where he was on set-point in the 2nd set tiebreak.  It was just had to put-away the volley as Fed was completely out of position.  All he had to do was put the ball in to win the 2nd set... and to get a 2-sets-to-love lead.  He missed the volley and Fed ended up winning the next 5 points and the set.  Key moments... key points, which could have made all the difference.  

Anyway, still a tremendous career.  A bit unfair to him, i guess, in some ways by the media, having had to follow Sampras, Agassi, Chang, Courier, etc.  There's a certain amount of pressure there.

^^^ Having seen Brooklyn Decker, I think Roddick's got some decent reasons to spend more time at home.
She could join him on the road for some tournaments so he could still enjoy her great chest.

If Roddick was born just a few years earlier he'd probably have 1 or 2 more Slams. I don't even know what his ranking is this year. Isn't he like the 30 seed for the Open?

I like Robbo, but wanted Li to win. 
tired.gif

I hope she can continue her form against Sam.  AND if she does win... who's next in the QF?  Vika. 
indifferent.gif

Was pulling for Nishikori against Cilic.

Blake's run ended.

Roddick got a lucky draw in his last run, not having to go through Monaco.

Hoping Almagro "upsets" Berdych. Not a fan. They had a heated match last year over a specific point.

Not to look ahead on the women's side, but Ana with a potential match-up against Serena next round.

Would like to see Kerber/Errani.

Back
Top Bottom