Official 2012 US Open Thread ( Vol. Kimmy's Last Run)

That was so lame... clearly Nico wasn't going for his head.  

Anyway... Ana's aiming to make the quarters this year... 1 more win will do.

2012+US+Open+Day+6+mLqqO81N5WGx.jpg

2012+US+Open+Day+6+MAq04Idh4q-x.jpg

Last edited:
Agreed, SP. Berdych was making mountains out of molehills. Never liked his playing style or personality anyway. Let's go, Nico!

Ana is probably my favorite women's player along with Sabine.

Fognini's girlfriend is a smoke. I got into the wrong profession, clearly.

SP: Please tell me you can come through with HD pics. Can't even pronounce or spell her name. Some type of European.

Last edited:
Feel like I'm talking to myself, especially during the last tennis major of the season, but Fog earned my respect with his gritty play today. Never conceded defeat to Andy with solid defense on a surface that's not his best. Great hustle and court coverage throughout for the Italian. Hoping he can make noise at the 2013 French.

Robson's confidence has been soaring since playing mixed doubles with Murray in the Olympics. Hope she can rally against Stosur.

Last edited:
Solid effort by Stosur played really well. Sharapova was saved by that rain delay against Petrova.

Solid effort by Stosur played really well. Sharapova was saved by that rain delay against Petrova.
Only up from here for Robson. She played well in this year's U.S. Open. Growing confidence thanks for teaming with Murray. She'll get better with experience. Would expect to see Laura figure as an outside contender in next season's major tournaments.

Laura has the potential to be really good. I don't know how far she'll go because I've seen what I call the lighting in a bottle effect on the women's side so many times. Players that get hot for a couple of tournaments only to flame out in a few months.

Feel like I'm talking to myself, especially during the last tennis major of the season, but Fog earned my respect with his gritty play today. Never conceded defeat to Andy with solid defense on a surface that's not his best. Great hustle and court coverage throughout for the Italian. Hoping he can make noise at the 2013 French.

Robson's confidence has been soaring since playing mixed doubles with Murray in the Olympics. Hope she can rally against Stosur.
Yeah, the US Open is the hardest for me to watch cuz of the time-difference.  We have a 12-hr difference so the night sessions (7AM-12PM for me) is the toughest for me to watch.  Day-sessions are reasonable cuz it just means I'll stay up a bit later at night.  

As for Laura, I missed the match, but how did she play?

EDIT ~ Also... official.
[h4]Rafa Nadal would not be at the Semifinals of the Davis Cup and will stop for the next 2 months[/h4]
“I have to recover and I’ll be back once the pain is gone”

Manacor, Spain, September 3rd, 2012.- Spanish tennis star Rafael Nadal will not play in the next 2 months and will stop to rest and recover his knee. Among other 

things he won´t be able to be at the disposal of the Spanish Davis Cup captain for the semifinals tie against the USA.

Rafa has partial tear of the patella tendon at the distal pole of the patella plus an inflammation of the Hoffa’s fat pad of his left knee.

Since the diagnosis of that tear, Rafa has been receiving medical treatment consisting on specific medication, physical therapy and a progressive program of 

rehabilitation and muscular potentiation.

For Rafa Nadal “I have missed the Olympics and the US Open in the last few weeks, tow of the most important tournaments of the year and that I really wanted to 

play. I really want to be back competing and enjoying the tennis tour, but I have many years in front of me and my knee needs some rest. I will be back when I 

have no pain and able to compete with guarantee.

I feel better after the meeting with my doctors and happy knowing that the evolution of the past weeks has been positive and surgery has been avoided. I will 

continue to work with the plan my doctors have established to be able to compete as soon as possible in the right conditions.

I would also like to thanks all for the support I ma receiving these days.”

Doctor Angel Ruiz-Cotorro will hold a Press Conference at the Real Club de Tennis de Barcelona on Tuesday September 4th explaining all details.

*** Rafa Nadal won’t be doing press interviews in the next days.

Last edited:
I understand what you guys mean. My job has kept me too busy to post on NT often.

SP: Really liked what I saw from Laura in this tournament. She played fairly well, Stosur was just better and more experienced. You'd have to think Robson would face and endure some nerves on such a grand stage. Two wins at the U.S. Open is a good building block for next year's season of major tournaments.

Funny we mentioned the 2012 Australian Open moment between Nico and Berdych. Nico just one-upped Berdych. Ball landed in the front row caught by a fan after a dead point and Nico asked for it back. I suppose out of point flow, momentum, or superstition. Crowd booed immensely. Almagro seems hampered by injury, heard tight quad possibly. Besides that, this is far from his best showing today. Limited movement and a seemingly lack in desire to finish the last major tournament of the season.

I didn't watch that match...

Ana. 
pimp.gif

Quarterfinal to play... Serena. 
indifferent.gif

Meanwhile, Mardy Fish has withdrawn due to health reasons (prob his heart).  Fed walkovers to the quarters. 
alien.gif

Fed in four over Berdych. I see Murray, Cilic, Tipsarevic, Ferrer (in five), Del Po, and Nole advancing to the quarterfinals on the men's side.

Vika over Stosur, Bartoli over Masha (three), Serena over Ana (unfortunately, unlucky draw), and Errani over Radwanska in three sets (assuming she beats Vinci).

LOL, Vinci just took the 1st 6-1.

Bartoli over Masha???? Nooooo... I can't stand Bartoli. 
mean.gif

Didn't get to finish the Sara Errani match but saw that she won. I forgot how loud she is :wow:. I like her but she needs to tone it down a bit.

SP: That's why I prefaced my prediction with caution. Had Errani over Kerber and Radwanska anyway.

What do you have against Marion? Must be the weight issues. She worked Kvitova after the disastrous first set. Bagel in the third set. :x

Gunna can have Ana, I'll console Masha when she gets upset in three sets. She has to get tired of dating a scrub former NBA player some time.

Can't wait for the Roddick v Del Potro match. 2 fan favorites....I like DELPO's game ALOT but this time I think AROD will crank up the serves and squeak another one out...

Should be a great match. Thinking Del Po in four.

Raonic is partly to blame for allowing the Murray break. Andy up 5-4 in the first set, serving for the set. Overly aggressive on the second serve, double-faulted twice.

Milos' downfall is that he hasn't challenged one game on Andy's serve. Too comfortable, in the zone.

Last edited:
Short rain delay in Flushing Meadows.

Vika was literally steamrolling Stosur in the opening four games. :wow: Sam didn't hold once.

Finally Stosur gets more aggressive with the serve to hold the fifth game. 4-1 Vika, on a mission.

^
Wish I could watch that match, I'm a fan of both. Sam better put up a better fight.

^
Wish I could watch that match, I'm a fan of both. Sam better put up a better fight.
At work? Know the feeling. Will do my best to keep you updated on major events during the match. Rare day off for me and it rains sporadically in NJ/NY.

Sam dropped first set 6-1 but showed resistance and tested Vika's serve in the sixth game of the first set. Vika is in the zone, playing as well as we've seen from Serena.

Early break for Stosur in Set 2, first game. Sam up 1-0, 40-40 (deuce) to hold her serve in Game 2.

Back
Top Bottom