Official 2013 Boxing Thread: Year is over, please lock.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Disappointed by Broner's performance, this was his time to dominate and boost his popularity. He's a very accurate power puncher which I like but his defense is still skeptical at times. Also he was inconsistent in his pacing, he would land great right hands but not follow up with combos and body work. If Paulie had any power in his hands some of this shots would have hurt him. I'd like to see Broner v Either of the Argentinians or Garcia, I need to see him tested by a fighter with enough power to put him down.

out of those 3, i can only see maidana losing..

matthyse and garcia both have power and a great chin..so does maidana, but hes just a level below the other 2.

Maybe part of the reason for tonight's performance is that Paulie M isn't as shot as most people think?
He has amazing boxing skills and great hand speed.   He is under rated because he has no power which makes his fights boring  most of the time. Casual fans want to see a knock out.    

I honestly think Paulie would give all of the top guys at 140 lbs hell not named Matthysse.  I'd like to see him vs Garcia.  I think it would be a great fight.  I think Garcia would win though.   It would be very close.   

Last edited:
Maybe part of the reason for tonight's performance is that Paulie M isn't as shot as most people think?

He has amazing boxing skills and great hand speed.   He is under rated because he has no power which makes his fights boring  most of the time. Casual fans want to see a knock out.    

I honestly think Paulie would give all of the top guys at 140 lbs hell not named Matthysse.  I'd like to see him vs Garcia.  I think it would be a great fight.  I think Garcia would win though.   It would be very close.   

True. I don't think his pride would allow him to be used as a stepping stone for Al Haymon ever again though.

Great fight

I wish they didn't make it seem like it was all over Sally from nightmare before Xmas

But it was entertaining to the very end

I love Broner saying let the fans pick his next match that was gangsta

Great fight

I wish they didn't make it seem like it was all over Sally from nightmare before Xmas

But it was entertaining to the very end

I love Broner saying let the fans pick his next match that was gangsta

Saying it is one thing, doing it is another. Besides, if golden boy does a poll online they can easily fix the result to be Shane Mosley or someone easy :lol:

Well, I obviously know nothing about boxing because I thought Broner would win easily, but Paulie is taking some rounds.  If Broner doesn't get more aggressive in these last two rounds, it may be a toss-up...

He has notoriously light hands. Has the ability to give people fits with his jab and quick hands though. Great chin too. Wouldn't call him a tomato can at all. Just not cream of the crop. You don't have to knock people out to be considered an above average boxer.

He channeled Joe Calzaghe in this fight. Reminded me of Calzaghe-Hopkins.

Always been a big fan of Paulie, win or lose he always speaks the truth.  He did everything correct except he was lacking power, as always.  Personally I felt like Cano gave him a tougher challenge than Broner did and Paulie still walked away with the W.  Like he said, Broner was busy 30 seconds of the round but when he was, he landed crisp accurate shots.  Paulie stayed busy throughout the fight though, I didn't think he could all 12 rounds.  There were many times where Paulie was sending 5-6 shots and leaving himself wide open for a counter right hand from Broner upstairs.  Anyone that believes Broner is "leaving his next fight up to the fans" must be on some good medicine.  No way on earth will they let the fans throw Broner in there with Matthysse, Rios, Alvarado, etc. If Garcia prices himself out of Matthysse, I say let Broner and Garcia stand in the pocket all night and let them beat each other up. 

Banks-Mitchell 2 was boring to say the least.  Banks just seemed to mail it in after the 3rd-4th round.  I feel bad for Mitchell, he acted like he just defeated Tyson after the bell rang when clearly it was Banks that just simply didn't do enough to win rounds.  Mitchell takes a good shot to the chin and it's a wrap though.  Banks should have kept the pressure on, Mitchell's lack of amateur background really shows when he gets in trouble.

I can see it now:
Decide Broners next opponent. Vote from one of these three carefully selected fighters*

*card subject to change.

Paulie showed heart and deserved better 117-111.Unless broner works on footwork and defense he will not beat top guys at 147.

Its crazy everybody can agree with Paulie about politics playing a part in the Broner fight

But somehow when it comes to bball and Lebron

politics all of a sudden doesn't exist

LMAO can someone say hypocrite

Before you respond or gif me to death find a better argument besides "its 2 different sports crap"

Its crazy everybody can agree with Paulie about politics playing a part in the Broner fight

Before you respond or gif me to death find a better argument besides "its 2 different sports crap"
politics definitely exist in basketball, u remember the western conference finals a while back? Politics is way more pronounced in boxing and it's easier to fix because 1: only two ppl are in the ring and 2: judges can score whatever they want

And coach can sit his star players out whenever he wants indy Hibbert George spurs Parker Duncan

Really all it takes is 1 player in a close game to pass the ball to the other team or take bad shots Ginobli

So I don't really know what you're saying or maybe we agree with each other either way

Politics is Lebrons greatness especially if you think that's why Paulie got his eye swole up

I just watch sports because I enjoy then, expecting a fair outcome is impossible nowadays, especially in boxing lol

But it is different. It's a problem in both sports, but far worse in boxing imo and here is why.
In basketball, politics can influence how the game is called giving an unfair advantage (I won't argue with you there). If you somehow overcome that and score more points than your opponent you win the game. If you win 4 games in a playoffs series you advance to the next round. Period.
In boxing you can have the deck stacked against you (fighting in the opponents home town, fighting in a huge ring because your opponent has a longer reach, catch weights, fighter is managed by Al Haymon, fighter already announced his next fight against a superstar). Somehow you defy all odds and win 7 or 8 out of 12 rounds. You still lose because the judges decided the winner before the opening bell.

And that's why we are in love with the knockout. It's not that I'm a brute and I don't appreciate the sweet science. It's just that I hate leaving up to the judges.

It is way more prominent in boxing. Boxing is some loosley regulated sport being controlled by two big promoters. Every fight is hand picked there is no real mandatory fights. Those ABC belts organizations can say you have to fight this person next, but the promoter can and has said well we will fight this person and still pay your sanctioning fees. All those ratings are fixed anyways belts are irrelevant, completely meaningless aside from the Ring belt. It would translate in basketball to Miami Heat playing all the below 500 teams for half the season then plays a semi good team with all the officials working the game... timekeepers, shot clock operatior, refs being paid by the Miami Heat. Then they would slowly pick "good" teams to build their record.

AB did do enough to get the win, he had the more accurate clean punches but wasnt impressed with his performance. Pauli exposed broner, you can tell he was getting frustrated at paulis movement at times. AB is overrated, throw him in there with keith thurman.

"Jesus this is what Broner was bragging about tonight lol"

yikes
sick.gif
mean.gif

Haha, Adrien is an butthole. Typical Negro. Nonetheless he's the future of boxing. "Brush my hair, pops." - Adrien Broner

:lol: :nthat:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom