Official 2013 Boxing Thread: Year is over, please lock.

Status
Not open for further replies.
If Floyd didnt do his outside the ring antics, he wouldn't be where he is right now as a star and cash cow.

I dont know.

People will pay to see Greatness.

and from the early stages of his career, he has always had that heir of greatness.

Right, but PPV king? I think not. Bernard Hopkins is great, so is Andre Ward and Rigondeaux. But those guys dont do blockbuster numbers.

we're in a different era, but I would say Floyd could match/outduel Sweet Pea in Marketing even without his charisma.

Sweet Pea was a Headline guy for a long time due to solely skill.

LMAO yes I Love Boxing too. but I watched him get dropped then run from Cordoba for 7 straight rounds. and Im not talking about pot shotting and standing in the pocket vs Nonito (which was a thing of beauty) If it wasnt for the Arum/Texas Judge who managed to score that fight 117 to 109 for rigo, he would have lost that fight.

he has several other snoozefests too in his catalogue vs Non descript opponents.

You want the link to the Cordoba fight?
Bro I've seen all of his fight and I still disagree. Again that's your opinion. I'm speaking for me you're speaking for you right? He beat Cordoba but it was a challenging fight for him. He's only had 12 pro fights fam cut the man some slack. He's had several snoozefests LOL? Name them? Cordoba and Marroquin? He's basically killed everyone else he has faced.

Oh and Floyd would not be a huge draw if he just boxed and shut his mouth. He's a draw because he talks trash so people want to see him lose.

Last edited:
we're in a different era, but I would say Floyd could match/outduel Sweet Pea in Marketing even without his charisma.

Sweet Pea was a Headline guy for a long time due to solely skill.

I really wasn't around to witness him during his time. From I hear/ read he's most well known for winning an Olympic gold medal and being perhaps the first to beat Julio Cesar Chavez, which was ruled a controversial draw.

I really wasn't around to witness him during his time. From I hear/ read he's most well known for winning an Olympic gold medal and being perhaps the first to beat Julio Cesar Chavez, which was ruled a controversial draw.
Sweet Pea was a beast man. His offense wasn't all that but the man could make you miss like no other. When you get a chance, check out some footage of the man standing flat footed dodging punches. His reflexes are unreal. He beat Chavez and got rewarded a draw for it LOL.

I've seen his fights. I just was too young to see how much hype was surrounding him at the time. Hes more exciting to watch than Mayweather Jr IMO.

Sweet Pea had the Olympic Hype going for him too.

so many guys. Think it was breland, Meldrick, Evander, Pernell and Tyrell Briggs. and I believe all were signed to Lou Duva.

Last edited:
gonna search for that Sweet Pea vs Chavez now. Hopefully its in youtube.
From highlights, it seemed that Sweet Pea had better head movement than Floyd, but Floyd has better hands.

I know he was quite a name. Just not sure if Floyd would be on his level without his gimmicks. There were more elements to Sweet Pea than just his skills.

Sweet Pea my all time fav :smokin

More fun to watch than Floyd IMO. The way he would just stand in front of you, duckin and dodgin, he made defense cool. But Floyd is better overall fighter. Pernell had more power but Floyd with his counterpunching and is better at utilizing his offense.

Floyd vs Pernell in their primes would be eye candy.

Last edited:
What was Floyds most all around, great fight he's ever had?

There's something to like in all his fights. But these are a few I liked
Judah and Mosley- got rocked early but somehow recomposed himself
Hatton- when he knocked Hatton down and had him land on the turnbuckle :x
Gatti- that accuracy :x

The Gatti fight was just pure domination.:x Did Gatti even land a punch?
Loved the Cotto fight too. Was good to see him go through some adversity and actually get into a brawl.
The Hatton fight, i think it was round 8 or 9, (2 rounds before the KO) when he just threw a bunch of combos on Hatton's head, then the next round, he put on that jabbing clinic.
those would be my favorite floyd fights

gonna search for that Sweet Pea vs Chavez now. Hopefully its in youtube.
From highlights, it seemed that Sweet Pea had better head movement than Floyd, but Floyd has better hands.
Sweet Pea has the best reflexes I've ever seen. Floyd is still the better fighter of the two though. Pernell had great defense and average offense. Floyd has both great defense and offense. I'd pick Floyd to win if I had to choose between the two.
What was Floyds most all around, great fight he's ever had?
Diego Corrales was his greatest fight IMO.  Beat Chico like a drum.

The Gatti fight was just pure domination.:x Did Gatti even land a punch?
Loved the Cotto fight too. Was good to see him go through some adversity and actually get into a brawl.
The Hatton fight, i think it was round 8 or 9, (2 rounds before the KO) when he just threw a bunch of combos on Hatton's head, then the next round, he put on that jabbing clinic.
those would be my favorite floyd fights

Yooooooooooo My exact memories. think Round 8, he started with left hook with like 20 seconds left in round... and kept peppering Hatton. He almost aint make it then next round, all jabs.. i was like wtf, but then he started going downstairs with the jab... and it was Over.

then he starts bankhead bouncing with his hands down and backpedaling inviting Hatton in... BAM CHECK HOOK PIVOT Meet turnbuckle LMAO

I think Diego, Shane and JMM are His masterpieces

Somebody tried to go at former champ Rocky Lockridge. Take a guess who won...
laugh.gif

iqJWLYqDtPdEK.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom