Official 2013 NBA Draft Thread

What would you guys do with Biyombo if you got Noel? They'd need a power forward that can stretch the floor.

The Bobcats need help everywhere. With the possible exception of small forward (where last year's No. 2 pick Michael Kidd-Gilchrist is holding down the fort), Charlotte doesn't really have an A-list player on its roster. The Bobcats already have a young, athletic project in Bismack Biyombo, but every scout feels that Noel has much more potential than Biyombo and most GMs feel Noel has the most upside of any player in the draft. Noel's ACL injury is an obvious red flag, but even that could turn into a blessing. If the Bobcats have to sit Noel for much of the season, they'll likely finish with the best chance of winning the lottery in 2014. With Andrew Wiggins and a stellar high school class of 2014 coming up, it might be worth the wait.

That's a long wait for Charlotte fans.

Could Noel and Biyombo play or start together? Block party. Nothing easy in the paint.

Kemba MKG Biyombo Noel would be ill defensively but they need a guy who can get 20 on the wing or they score 75 points a game.

Henderson ain't that guy.

Last edited:
Draft bpa this yr. We have a ton of cap. Sign some small nice pieces. Potentially 3 lotto picks next year and maybe wiggins, spend that cap money then and now we're talking

Last edited:
what do you guys think of Pierre Jackson? i feel like after a lot of team passing up on I.T. and watching him eventually do well in the L will help a lot in Jackson's stock. I also think he's going test very well in the combine, has nate-like athleticism imo.
Would love for my team (Wizards) to pick him up in the second round.. he'd be good in a backup PG role, even as a rookie

Last edited:
what do you guys think of Pierre Jackson? i feel like after a lot of team passing up on I.T. and watching him eventually do well in the L will help a lot in Jackson's stock. I also think he's going test very well in the combine, has nate-like athleticism imo.
Would love for my team (Wizards) to pick him up in the second round.. he'd be good in a backup PG role, even as a rookie
Him and Wall on the same team...that speed and athleticism in the backcourt :x :pimp:

I swear to god if we take Withey when Lorenzo Brown or Dieng is still on the boards I'm going to break something :smh:

Why would you want Lo Brown? 
laugh.gif
 Kentavious Caldwell-Pope or Archie would probably be better fits. 

Noel ain't helping the Bobcats.

They desperately need a star and there isn't one in this draft.

Why would you want Lo Brown? 
laugh.gif

Kentavious Caldwell-Pope or Archie would probably be better fits. 

I haven't seen Caldwell-Pope and I don't anticipate Archie still being available at 19.

I'd love to get Dieng but Lo has good size for the PG position, he would be a decent back up for Pooh.

Chad Ford:
2013 NBA Mock Draft 1.0

The Final Four is over and the Louisville Cardinals are the national champions. With their victory, the college basketball season has come to an end. Likewise, the scouting of competitive games also has ended, and thus we're ready to reveal our first full mock draft of 2013.

All year we have kept tabs on the draft stock of players using our Big Board and the Top 100 list. Both tools are a reflection of the consensus of NBA scouts and GMs about a player's relative value in the draft.

A mock draft is a different animal altogether. In a mock draft we don't tell you where a player should go, but rather, what each team in the draft would likely do with its pick. At this point very little is set in stone, as we are still in the NBA regular season. Expect this mock draft to fluctuate greatly over the course of the next two months.

Draft order will change, as will the stock of a number of players thanks to draft camps in Portsmouth, Va., and Chicago in the coming month. We still won't know which underclassmen officially declare for the draft until the April 28 deadline. We won't even be sure of the non-lottery draft order until the regular season ends. Nor will we know the results of the lottery draft order until the NBA draft lottery on May 21. Thus, the mock draft order begins with the lottery teams owning the greatest possibility of winning the No. 1 pick (by percentage), then followed by the remaining teams in reverse order of current standings.

If you want to check out what your team would do with the No. 1 pick, check out our Lottery Mock Draft Machine that features more than 2,000 scenarios.

Here's my initial stab at a full first-round mock draft for 2013 (assuming every eligible prospect who has yet to state his intentions on the draft declares), after accounting for team needs.

1. Charlotte Bobcats - Nerlens Noel

Analysis: The Bobcats need help everywhere. With the possible exception of small forward (where last year's No. 2 pick Michael Kidd-Gilchrist is holding down the fort), Charlotte doesn't really have an A-list player on its roster. The Bobcats already have a young, athletic project in Bismack Biyombo, but every scout feels that Noel has much more potential than Biyombo and most GMs feel Noel has the most upside of any player in the draft. Noel's ACL injury is an obvious red flag, but even that could turn into a blessing. If the Bobcats have to sit Noel for much of the season, they'll likely finish with the best chance of winning the lottery in 2014. With Andrew Wiggins and a stellar high school class of 2014 coming up, it might be worth the wait.

2. Orlando Magic - Marcus Smart

Analysis: The Orlando Magic have promising young players at the 3, 4 and 5. While they could certainly upgrade there (and might if Noel is available), I expect them to take a backcourt player at No. 2. Jameer Nelson is 31 and starting to slow down. Adding a dominant player like Smart would upgrade the position immensely. While Smart has his weaknesses (his jump shot is shaky and he needs to tighten up his handle), he's strong, has a great motor and toughness, is a beast defensively and brings the leadership a young rudderless team like the Magic desperately needs.

3. Phoenix Suns - Ben McLemore

Analysis: The Phoenix Suns shot 32 percent on 3-pointers this season and desperately need to improve. Their starting 2-guards, Shannon Brown and Wesley Johnson, both struggled from 3. Adding McLemore makes a lot of sense. He's one of the two or three best pure shooters in the draft and has great length and athleticism at his position. He can be a bit of a wallflower, but when he gets going he's as good as anyone in the draft.

4. Cleveland Cavaliers - Otto Porter

Analysis: The Cavaliers have dynamic scorers in both backcourt positions in Kyrie Irving and Dion Waiters. Their frontcourt is also virtually set with Tristan Thompson,Anderson Varejao and Tyler Zeller. Their biggest hole is at the 3, and Porter looks like the perfect complementary piece. He's a jack-of-all-trades, doesn't need the ball in his hands to be effective and is a team player. I can't think of a better fit for Porter or the Cavs.

5. Detroit Pistons - Victor Oladipo

Analysis: The Pistons' biggest need is at small forward. Since shipping Tayshaun Prince off to Memphis, they haven't really had anyone fill his spot. However, I think Oladipo is a better fit for Detroit. Rodney Stuckey has worn out his welcome in Detroit and Oladipo is the type of player that thrived with the Pistons when President of Basketball Operations Joe Dumars was still suiting up. Olapido is an elite defender, an explosive athlete and a rapidly improving offensive player. They could settle on a player like Shabazz Muhammad here, but I think Oladipo is the best player on the board for them.

6. New Orleans Hornets - Trey Burke

Analysis: The Hornets have interesting young players at every position right now. Their biggest need is probably at small forward, though Al-Farouq Aminu has started to show some promise this year. Clearly the Hornets have a very solid point guard inGreivis Vasquez. However, Burke gives them a completely different look and would be a nice complement to Vasquez at the point. He might be a bit undersized, but his toughness, all-around game, mistake-free basketball and winning attitude should be a great fit in New Orleans.

7. Sacramento Kings - Shabazz Muhammad

Analysis: The Kings' biggest hole is at small forward, where they continue to feel the sting from the disastrous John Salmons trade from a couple years ago. Salmons is a shell of himself and the Kings are desperately in need of an upgrade. While Muhammad has been a slight disappointment as a freshman, he's tough, knows how to score and brings a strong motor to the table. I'm not sure if there will be enough shots for Muhammad with DeMarcus Cousins, Tyreke Evans, Isaiah Thomas and Marcus Thornton, but I assume the Kings, under new management whether in Sacramento or Seattle, will start to clean house.

8. Oklahoma City Thunder (via Toronto Raptors) - Alex Len

Analysis: The Thunder get this pick from the Raptors (which the Rockets received as part of the Kyle Lowry trade only to move it on to OKC as part of the James Hardendeal) as long as the Raptors aren't picking in the top three. Oklahoma City needs to find a long-term replacement for Harden at the 2 and a long-term backup for Kendrick Perkins at the 5. Len seems like great value here. He's one of the two or three biggest players in the draft, has a decent offensive game and can rebound and block shots. It really feels like he's scratching the surface. The Thunder can afford to bring him along slowly and hope he develops.

9. Washington Wizards - Anthony Bennett

Analysis: The Wizards would have to be thrilled if they can land Bennett this late in the draft. Some teams will look at him as high as No. 2. Not only is Bennett the best player left on the board, but he also fits a need for Washington at the 4. Emeka Okaforhas been solid there, but he's not the long-term answer. And at this point it doesn't look as though young players like Jan Vesely or Kevin Seraphin are, either. Bennett's NBA body combined with his ability to score anywhere on the floor should give the Wizards another big boost next season.

10. Minnesota Timberwolves - Gary Harris

Analysis: I think it's pretty likely that Harris decides to stay in college another year and undergo shoulder surgery. However, if he does end up declaring, he's a very good fit for a Timberwolves team that still is searching for a long-term solution at shooting guard. The team is shooting just 30 percent from beyond the arc this season and getting a player like Harris who can really knock down shots is a priority.

11. Philadelphia 76ers - Cody Zeller

Analysis: At the start of the season there was talk of Zeller being the No. 1 pick. However, he didn't improve as much as scouts expected him to this season and his stock has slid a bit. He'd be a nice fit in Philly, however. With the exception of Spencer Hawes, the Sixers just don't have a lot of size. While I don't think Zeller is worthy of a top-five pick anymore, he's a good value here.

12. Portland Trailblazers - Mitch McGary

Analysis: McGary mania is in full swing after a terrific run in the NCAA tourney, but NBA scouts still are getting their arms around his draft stock. They've really only been scouting this Mitch McGary for about eight games. However, on the surface, it appears that McGary has a lot of promise. He's got an incredible motor, is a good athlete, has great hands, rebounds, blocks shots and has shown a midrange game. It's possible he's a one-hit wonder, but I think more and more teams believe he's the same kid who ranked as one of the top five players in the country after his junior year of high school. He could be a great replacement for J.J. Hickson should he bolt in free agency this summer.

13. Dallas Mavericks - Michael Carter-Williams

Analysis: The Mavs have been riding Darren Collison all season at the point and there's a chance they re-sign him as a restricted free agent this summer. Whether they do or don't, Carter-Williams seems like a safe play. When he's good, he looks like a top-five pick. When he's off, he doesn't look like a first-rounder. He's a good passer with great size for his position and a very smooth athlete. He lacks a jump shot and needs to get stronger, but there's so much potential there, the Mavs could swing for the fences with him at No. 13.

14. Phoenix Suns (via Los Angeles Lakers) - Mason Plumlee

Analysis: The Suns will get this pick via the Lakers as part of the Steve Nash trade if L.A. ends up in the lottery. If the Suns go with a shooter with their first pick, don't be surprised if they try to add some size with their second one. Plumlee's combination of athleticism and size might make the most sense since, while he isn't exactly tough, he's tougher than most of the finesse young bigs on the roster.

15. Milwaukee Bucks - Glenn Robinson III

Analysis: The Bucks don't have a lot going for them right now at the small forward position -- especially since sending Tobias Harris out of town in the J.J. Redick deal. Robinson would give them yet another long, athletic forward who can fly up and down the floor. The difference with Robinson? He can shoot, and let's face it, there's some karma at play here, too. The Bucks drafted Robinson III's father with the No. 1 pick in 1994. Keep it in the family.

16. Boston Celtics - Kelly Olynyk

Analysis: The Celtics definitely need size, and Olynyk is the sort of stretch big man that the team has liked in the past. His low-post game is still so-so, but he's a very difficult matchup on the high post. His ability to put the ball on the floor and get to the basket is special for a player his size. He could be a nice complement, in the long run, with Jared Sullinger.

17. Utah Jazz - C.J. McCollum

Analysis: The Jazz have been in the market for a point guard for a while and had their sights set on both Jimmer Fredette and Damian Lillard in the past two drafts only to lose them both. I'm not sure if McCollum is a true point guard, but I'm also not sure the Jazz need one as both Gordon Hayward and Alec Burks can handle the ball. What they really want is another shooter, and McCollum shot 51 percent from 3-point range before going down with a season-ending foot injury. He's one of the most dynamic scorers in the draft and some scouts believe he could be this year's Lillard.

18. Atlanta Hawks - Dario Saric

Analysis: There are mixed messages on whether Saric will enter the 2013 NBA draft. If he declares and slides this far, he probably won't stay in the draft. But if the Hawks can get their hands on him, they are getting a player with an off-the-charts basketball IQ who can play a lot of point forward in the pros. He has struggled a bit this season, but most international scouts in the know think the talent makes him worthy of a lottery pick. He's a great get here.

19. Chicago Bulls - Kentavious Caldwell-Pope

Analysis: Every year the Bulls are in the hunt for a shooter at the 2-guard position and every year they come up just a bit short. Landing Caldwell-Pope could be their lucky day, as he has both the size and shooting ability to be a serious threat in the NBA. He has played on such a poor team the past two years that his stock has fallen a bit, but if he's surrounded by other players who can score the ball (and he would be in Chicago), he could suddenly be the steal of the draft.

20. Atlanta Hawks (via Houston Rockets) - Jamaal Franklin

Analysis: Franklin's game defies a position. He's a super-athletic wing who rebounds, plays above the rim and can do just about everything (but shoot) on the floor. The Hawks could really use a player like Franklin as a jack-of-all-trades coming off the bench.

21. Utah Jazz (via Golden State Warriors) - Jeff Withey

Analysis: If the Jazz go small with their first pick, don't be surprised to see them go big with their second one. Al Jefferson will most likely leave over the summer andDerrick Favors would probably take over as the starting 5, but he'll need help. Withey isn't special on the offensive end, but he's a dominant shot-blocker who stays out of foul trouble. The Jazz will be able to find 15 minutes a night for him.

22. Brooklyn Nets - Gorgui Dieng

Analysis: The Nets could really use some backup help at the 5, and they need someone who can step in and play right now. Dieng drops a few spots on our board because of his age, but he should be a terrific fit as a backup to Brook Lopez in Brooklyn. The team could really use his shot-blocking abilities.

23. Indiana Pacers - Rudy Gobert

Analysis: The Pacers have plenty of young players and no real pressing needs right now. If there was a long-term replacement for David West here, they'd obviously take him. But without one, look for them to swing for the fences and take a player with huge upside in Gobert. He has a 7-foot-9 wingspan and is a good athlete. He's not ready for the NBA, but the Pacers will have the luxury of developing him over in France for the next couple of years.

24. New York Knicks - Isaiah Austin

Analysis: Austin was hailed as a potential top-10 pick coming into the college season. However, he struggled a bit on both ends of the ball and scouts became wary. He needs a lot of work on both his body and his jump shot, but on long-term upside, he might be worth a shot here.

25. Los Angeles Clippers - Allen Crabbe

Analysis: The Clippers could always use more shooting, and when Crabbe gets hot, he's very difficult to contain. He can be a bit lackadaisical on the defensive end, but at this point in the draft, he's a very good value.

26. Minnesota Timberwolves (via Memphis Grizzlies) - Steven Adams

Analysis: Adams probably should've spent another year in school at Pittsburgh and played himself into the lottery. He's got that sort of talent. But he's so raw offensively, anyone that drafts him is going to have to be patient. On the defensive end, however? He can play right now.

27. Denver Nuggets - James Michael-McAdoo

Analysis: McAdoo was considered a potential top-five pick at the beginning of the season. But his lack of polish offensively and high turnover rate scared off scouts. There's no question he's an NBA athlete and has the body, but he's still a pretty big work in progress. The Nuggets could really use a little more help in the frontcourt and he could be a nice long-term investment.

28. Oklahoma City Thunder - Glen Rice Jr.

Analysis: At the moment, Rice is dominating the D-League for the Rio Grande Vipers. He was dismissed from Georgia Tech last year, so he still has draft eligibility. Since being named a starter he has been averaging 17.6 PPG, shooting 42 percent from 3-point range and averaging eight rebounds and 2.6 assists per game. He looks like the sort of player the Thunder would steal late in the first round.

29. San Antonio Spurs - Kyle Anderson

Analysis: Anderson might be the most eccentric player in the draft. Nicknamed "SloMo," he's a big point power forward who can handle the ball, make terrific passes and rebound. He could end up filling the same niche that Boris Diaw (his best comp) did.

30. Cleveland Cavaliers - P.J. Hairston

Analysis: The Cavaliers might have their backcourt of the future set, but they can always use depth. Hairston is big enough to play the 2 and the 3, and he can be a terrific shooter. He's also tough and aggressive and understands a role coming off the bench. The Cavs are big believers in the numbers, and all of Hairston's advanced statistic profiles come out high, so you could see him sneak into the first round.

Last edited:
If KCP had been on a team with a sniff of other D1 talent, he very well could have found himself in the back end of the lottery. He had an awesome year and just about all the tools you want in a SG.

I was wondering what the hell Glen Rice Jr was doing in the D-League. Knew damn well he hadn't graduated

If KCP had been on a team with a sniff of other D1 talent, he very well could have found himself in the back end of the lottery. He had an awesome year and just about all the tools you want in a SG.
I would rather have KCP than Shabazz

Back
Top Bottom