Official 2013 NBA Offseason Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Spo is a very good coach.

He always had those pre-Big 3 Heat teams playing hard, when it was just DWade and nobody else.

I know people want to discredit him because he has LeBron and coaching a team with LeBron, Wade and Bosh as the centerpieces is supposed to be "easy", but it has been anything but that.

This Big 3 Heat team has had an insane amount of pressure coming off The Decision and that coronation press conference. Their first season together was a roller coaster and people were calling for Spo's head on a nightly basis, but he was able to withstand that and get them to the Finals. If it weren't for LeBron going ghost in 2011 Finals, the Heat could very well be the 3x defending champs right now. Spo followed that Finals run in 2011 with 2 more, this time winning two championships.

I know LeBron gets the bulk of the praise for Heat's last two title runs, and deservedly so to an extent, but Spo should get some as well. He isn't an "along for the ride" coach. He's been instrumental in the Heat's success in the Big 3.

Very well said, Toine.

There were times during the Finals this year when he outcoached Pop.

I am very curious to see an AT list of coaches who he thinks are better than Spo.

Spo got busy on the X and O's side with the whole small ball approach... He's only going to get better with all the experience he's gaining + plus the respect he will have around the league for coaching Bron...

Spo out-maneuvered Pop when he inserted Miller into the starting lineup, which then forced Pop to go away from Splitter (who was having a bad series to begin with). This pretty led to the 2013 Spurs reverting back to the 2012 Spurs, a sub-top 10 defense team.

@DarnellMayberry Thunder point guard Russell Westbrook underwent successful arthroscopic surgery today to alleviate swelling in his right knee.
Out six to eight weeks? :nerd:

Edit:

Looks like it'll be a four to six week recovery.

That's not a great sign.

And I just thought about the Thunder. No Russ and that team might get off to a really slow start, right? Or am I forgetting some additions?

Nah i would keep G. Monroe.

Maybe ship Josh Smith for a three who can shoot? Josh Smith + Stuckey for Gallo + Andre miller?

I don't think they signed Josh Smith just to trade him :lol:

Greg Monroe is unlikely to get an extension, so he's more than likely on the way out.

edit:

The OKC collapase is about to start :smh:

OKC only paid the surgeon 80% of what he was suppose to get. I didn't realize it was 4-6 from when the season starts. Hopefully, Brooks is smart enough to give these minutes to Jackson and Lamb, but he's probably going to just increase Fisher's minutes.

Last edited:
That's not a great sign.

And I just thought about the Thunder. No Russ and that team might get off to a really slow start, right? Or am I forgetting some additions?
I thought Jackson did an ok job taking over. I think they will be between 10-15 games above .500 when russ comes back. 

That's not a great sign.

mean.gif

Hate injuries man
tired.gif

Hopefully he recovers quick and comes back stronger

I feel bad for Ryan Anderson.

With watery eyes and long pauses to compose himself, Pelicans forward Ryan Anderson didn't even try to mask how rough the past month-and-a-half has been for him since his girlfriend, reality television actress Gia Allemand, committed suicide.

''Every day is a challenge,'' he said Monday, on the eve of the first practice of training camp. ''It helps to be here. My family's with me. To be here with my teammates really helps a lot, but it's a roller coaster.''

...''Something like that just doesn't happen for no reason and I know that for 100 percent,'' Ryan said, his voice cracking as a tear dripped off his left cheek. ''I know that there's a huge plan here. ... I know that a lot of people are going to be helped through this.''

''This is a topic that is not talked about enough and it is a huge problem,'' Anderson continued. ''Let's be honest here. We live in a society now where you've got to live up to something, you've got to be a certain person and you're not (always) going to be accepted. Every single person has something special about them. That's what I want to be my goal here.''

One of his teammates and friends, forward Jason Smith, stood behind Anderson, placing a hand on his shoulder in an effort to help him maintain his composure and get the words out.

Although Anderson was not yet ready to go into detail, he said he will help the Allemand family launch a foundation, named for his late girlfriend, which will help "everybody know that they're not alone."

:frown:

I'm expecting him to struggle this season, but I hope he's able to maintain similar product from last season.

Knew this was coming for Ry. Basketball will not be the first thing on his mind.

Did someone say Mike Brown has been Bron's best HC, and not Spo.

Yeah, I feel bad for Ryan Anderson too. I hope he's able to deal with it. It's not easy at all. 

Tough times for Anderson.

I understand and expect him to have a tough time for a while. I hope it doesn't affect his career though.

Spo runs great offense. Has a defensive system that is dependent on personnel, but they have it and it works.

He struggled his first year and change with the Big 3 to figure it all out offensively but he's been great. No ego, doesn't panic, makes it about the players and plays to their strength's.

He's one of the best young coaches in sports. You can't get away with poor coaching in the NBA anymore - not competing at the highest level anyway.

Last edited:
OKC only paid the surgeon 80% of what he was suppose to get.

:smh:

Is that related in any way to this?

Thunder general manager Sam Presti said in a release that the swelling in Westbrook's knee was caused by a loose stitch from the previous surgery and that Westbrook's meniscus has healed properly.

^ That's from the ESPN report.

Last edited:
At first, it felt Bron, Flash, and Bosh were winning in spite of Spo. He's earned his stripes. Now Miami is winning partially because of Spo's strategies and in-game adjustments.

Just moved to Arizona....

At last the Phoenix Suns are so awful that tickets will be easy and inexpensive this Season. Reminds me of past years of being a Bullets/Wizards fan.

Definitely will be checking out the Wiz when they come through and the kid Kendall Marshall from my local town in Virginia. Us older kids used to play with him when he was in 5th grade. His dad would hound his *** and get on him like Jake in He Got Game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom