Official 2013 NFL Washington Diplomats SEASON Thread - Last Game 12/29 @ 1:00 PM vs. Giants

Nice article DoubleJ's.  I wish your owner had the same fervor in trying to please his fans and product as he does when going after his "enemies" and opponents. 

Since the Saints and the players won their case against Goodell I'm guessing the Skins smell blood in the water and want to go after the NFL while the getting is good.    
Skins got a case here....

As an OWNER, I have no issue with how Dan Snyder has been doing things for the past couple of years. He's stayed in the background.
I agree that the Skins have a case here and given what I have read and what has been presented thus far I actually side with the Skins on this one.

As far as the owner goes, yeah he's stayed in the background in regards to football transactions on the field.  However, there's certainly alot more he could be doing from my perspective to help please the fans, stadium upgrades, bring back the shuttle service, and things of that nature.  That is what I meant by fervor for the fans.

"TKextremeskins: Hall not coming back. Skins looking to go younger & cheaper"
--http://twitter.com/TKextremeskins/status/311097208118341632

Rumor has it that Carriker/Moss are gonna be cut

In addition to D.Hall, they'd be saving over 16 mil in salary.

Last edited:
See ya D.Hall, not really gonna miss him. Thanks though for that scoop and score against the Cowboys in the 2010 opener, that was dope.

Hall wasn't the greatest but I think the rest of our secondary/terrible safety play made him look even worse to the untrained eye. Towards the latter part of last season he was a big reason why our defense improved.

I try not to think it's because I'm biased, but I still can't fathom how they let them get away with hitting us with that cap penalty. Would have been unfair enough if they gave us fair warning; but to do it the night before free agency? When you already have your plan of attack and should have franchised/tendered guys? To me that REEKS of something shady. It would be like telling a team 30 minutes before the draft they're actually picking 15th instead of 1st; I'm sure it was a mad scramble.

Aside from that, several other teams used the same strategy of renegotiating contracts to take bigger hits during that year; and only the Skins and Boys (two teams in Mara's division) get punished? It wasn't like we used the uncapped year to go out and sign a bunch of guys to F up the competitive balance; we just renegotiated two guys who were already on our roster. If the whole goal of it was to make sure teams didn't go over the cap, or get extra cap space, why weren't the Bucs punished for going WELL below the salary cap floor during the uncapped year and opening up a boatload of cap space? Doesn't that mess up the competitive balance by them pretty much tanking, and opening up a ton of space for the next season to sign FA's?

Last edited:
Hall wasn't the greatest but I think the rest of our secondary/terrible safety play made him look even worse to the untrained eye. Towards the latter part of last season he was a big reason why our defense improved.

I try not to think it's because I'm biased, but I still can't fathom how they let them get away with hitting us with that cap penalty. Would have been unfair enough if they gave us fair warning; but to do it the night before free agency? When you already have your plan of attack and should have franchised/tendered guys? To me that REEKS of something shady. It would be like telling a team 30 minutes before the draft they're actually picking 15th instead of 1st; I'm sure it was a mad scramble.

Aside from that, several other teams used the same strategy of renegotiating contracts to take bigger hits during that year; and only the Skins and Boys (two teams in Mara's division) get punished? It wasn't like we used the uncapped year to go out and sign a bunch of guys to F up the competitive balance; we just renegotiated two guys who were already on our roster. If the whole goal of it was to make sure teams didn't go over the cap, or get extra cap space, why weren't the Bucs punished for going WELL below the salary cap floor during the uncapped year and opening up a boatload of cap space? Doesn't that mess up the competitive balance by them pretty much tanking, and opening up a ton of space for the next season to sign FA's?

I'm kinda ambivalent towards D.Hall. I think we can definitely upgrade, but he was actually pretty good last year. Sports Bog had a good piece on him here:

The Good/Bad of Deangelo Hall

As far as the cap penalties, I'm with you. The whole thing makes NO sense. Obvious collusion and the Skins/Cowboys did nothing wrong, yet they're the ones being punished. No matter....joint is gonna be a wrap next year when the ******** can actually spend money via FA. We'll be a ridiculously dangerous team going forward.

Apparently Hall was willing to restructure his deal due to the cap hit, but the Skins still decided to cut him anyway.  I guess his services to the Skins were no longer needed.  To me, he wasn't even that bad this year, he was decent for the most part. 

Apparently Hall was willing to restructure his deal due to the cap hit, but the Skins still decided to cut him anyway.  I guess his services to the Skins were no longer needed.  To me, he wasn't even that bad this year, he was decent for the most part. 

He was really good this year. It's just the money he made and his short temper that drew the ire of many. I mean, the skins saved 8 mil against the cap for making the move. To me, it was a no-brainer. I think they can find an adequate replacement at a fraction of the cost.

He was really good this year. It's just the money he made and his short temper that drew the ire of many. I mean, the skins saved 8 mil against the cap for making the move. To me, it was a no-brainer. I think they can find an adequate replacement at a fraction of the cost.
No doubt, the Skins save money in cap space, but if Hall was willing to restructure his contract maybe something could have been worked out.  Maybe it was his on the field short temper that eventually got his pushed out of the door, and that's on Hall. 

What's the status on London Fletcher, are the plans to have him starting this year??

No doubt, the Skins save money in cap space, but if Hall was willing to restructure his contract maybe something could have been worked out.  Maybe it was his on the field short temper that eventually got his pushed out of the door, and that's on Hall. 

What's the status on London Fletcher, are the plans to have him starting this year??

Good question about LF...he had surgery last week (on his ankle, I think)....there are rumors that he's going to retire. I'd have to think that he's going to be back, but this will be his last year with the team.

Hopefully D. Hall goes to a team that plays the Cowboys so he and Dez can finish their slap boxing matches.

NFL is ruthless with their cuts and releases. No loyalty in this league....that's for sure.

Good question about LF...he had surgery last week (on his ankle, I think)....there are rumors that he's going to retire. I'd have to think that he's going to be back, but this will be his last year with the team.
Thanks for the info on LF, heard he was having surgery but didn't know the reasoning.  This is most definitely his last year though, hope he has a good year.  Also, according to something I read in the Express today, it alluded to the Skins as of now not going forward with a case against the NFL for the cap penalty.  That could change of course, but I remember the article you posted a few days ago talking about the Skins trying to get an appeal.  The cap penalty is 2 years, so after this year there should be no consequences against the Skins.  Since the Saints players won their case, I think the Skins should move forward and try to win since Gooddell appears to be on the ropes and not in good standing in that regard.

Just giving you some inside skinny as I've texted a few players..

Skins were going to do what was needed to keep Moss.  Moss is one of RGIIIs fav guys on and off the field.  They were going to keep Robert Happy doing whatever it took.

Zo will be sending where he is going later today so we can retweet it.

Kedrick Gholston (no not on peoples radar but my boy) isnt settled on a contract as of yet... but the upside was he's not expensive.

We will all be in the upcoming Pro's vs Joes in Ashburn against the Skins in June.. Doing the Big Train Charity Softball Game in April...

and right now from texting with Mike Jones... the Skins are in such a bad position it's going to be difficult to talk undrafted free agents into coming to their camp.

They got 800K of money from the league back last night.

Thanks for the info on LF, heard he was having surgery but didn't know the reasoning.  This is most definitely his last year though, hope he has a good year.  Also, according to something I read in the Express today, it alluded to the Skins as of now not going forward with a case against the NFL for the cap penalty.  That could change of course, but I remember the article you posted a few days ago talking about the Skins trying to get an appeal.  The cap penalty is 2 years, so after this year there should be no consequences against the Skins.  Since the Saints players won their case, I think the Skins should move forward and try to win since Gooddell appears to be on the ropes and not in good standing in that regard.

Yea...after this year, there is no penalty.

As much as Dan Snyder cares about $ and screwing people over, I just don't think we've heard the end of of this whole cap fiasco. Something will happen...I'm pretty sure of it. Whether they get some money back or not, who knows....but I just can't shake the thought of the Skins lying down on this one here.

**** John Mara and the Giants, I know he orchestrated this whole thing to screw over the Skins and the Cowboys. We literally can't do anything in free agency now cause of him.

Just giving you some inside skinny as I've texted a few players..

Skins were going to do what was needed to keep Moss.  Moss is one of RGIIIs fav guys on and off the field.  They were going to keep Robert Happy doing whatever it took.

Zo will be sending where he is going later today so we can retweet it.

Kedrick Gholston (no not on peoples radar but my boy) isnt settled on a contract as of yet... but the upside was he's not expensive.

We will all be in the upcoming Pro's vs Joes in Ashburn against the Skins in June.. Doing the Big Train Charity Softball Game in April...

and right now from texting with Mike Jones... the Skins are in such a bad position it's going to be difficult to talk undrafted free agents into coming to their camp.

They got 800K of money from the league back last night.

Good stuff man i like Kendrick Gholston as a player hope we hold onto him.

Agree with you guys about D. Hall. It had to be the temper that got him cut. If he was willing to restructure and we still cut him there really isn't any other excuse. He is a solid corner. We really need DB help now though.

If we get Orakpo back full health that will help and having Fred Davis back on Offense will be nice too. But we really need some DBs

Depending on the schedule, we might have to temper expectations for this year. Cap penalties are killing this team as far as what they can do during free agency. Skins may take a step back and go 9-7 or 8-8. Next year....it's ON.

:smh: @ Mara

He's a piece of trash.

Depends on what they do in the secondary IMO. If he came cheap enough I wouldn't mind signing Antoine Winfield as a stopgap til next year while drafting a CB and/or signing one next FA cycle. If we can get somebody like him to take D-Lo's place and get either Tenard or Merriweather healthy we might not be TOO bad. They said Minnifield was showing out in camp last year before the injury; it would be really awesome if he was actually able to contribute this year given our limited cap.

I'm hoping we pickup Ace Sanders as a replacement for Banks and possible replacement for Tana in the slot. It would be great if we could even hit on one draft pick at a position of need the way we did last year with Griffin and Morris (a lot to ask obviously). Gimme a CB/S in the 2nd and Sanders in the 3rd/4th and I'm good.

Depends on what they do in the secondary IMO. If he came cheap enough I wouldn't mind signing Antoine Winfield as a stopgap til next year while drafting a CB and/or signing one next FA cycle. If we can get somebody like him to take D-Lo's place and get either Tenard or Merriweather healthy we might not be TOO bad. They said Minnifield was showing out in camp last year before the injury; it would be really awesome if he was actually able to contribute this year given our limited cap.

I'm hoping we pickup Ace Sanders as a replacement for Banks and possible replacement for Tana in the slot. It would be great if we could even hit on one draft pick at a position of need the way we did last year with Griffin and Morris (a lot to ask obviously). Gimme a CB/S in the 2nd and Sanders in the 3rd/4th and I'm good.

Winfield is really good at covering slot WRs. He'd be a great stopgap.

Mike Shanahan HAS to hit a home run in the draft. It's imperative that we get a starter out of our selections for the secondary. Whether that's another CB or Safety, we need an upgrade in the worst way.

I'd love to have Shamarko Thomas out of Syracuse in our secondary.

View Post
Rich Campbell ‏@Rich_Campbell
There's an echo among agents today, regardless of their player's position: ******** have no money...******** have to figure out a plan...

:smh:

Last edited:
The draft is gonna be HUGE for us this year, which sucks cause honestly no one knows how these players will pan out. We'll just have to wait and see I guess :\

Just found this, thought it was dope.

Just update.>... Zo texted me about 20 minutes ago and said he was headed to the Cards..  I cant hate... He's gotta get that last payday

Kedrick signed yesterday and is getting 3 years around 5 million... Those two dudes are best friends and own a Pilates Studio together.... 

DC is sad to see Zo go cuz while he's a solid player.. he's even a better dude.

Back
Top Bottom