Official 2016 Boxing Thread: 11/5/2016 - Vargas/Pacquiao Top Rank PPV.

Canelo is facing his own Floyd vs Pac scenario

He can either step up and fight the biggest risk out there, unlike Floyd....

Or he can talk and bs his way out of it like Floyd hopping ggg wears down gets KOd down the line like pac

Or he could hide behind his promoter like Pac did and wax poetically about 40,000 person stadiums, fear of needles or cuts from the third Marquez fight that have yet to heal.

Here we go 
laugh.gif

Maybe I'm not giving him enough of a chance, but I hope for Pascal's sake that Kovalev gets him out of there early.  Sergey might really try to hurt this dude after all the **** Pascal has said 

But Floyd is his own boss.
He openly low balled pac hoping he would turn his attention elsewhere for a more lucrative fight

Blaming arum is comedic

We're talking about ggg and Canelo, but the similarities are uncanny :lol: :lol:

Only people still on that are the official TMT members in here caping for their bro

Actually what we were talking about was the importance of an undefeated record.

Which isn't even an issue for Canelo. Who already lost. Which was my point.

You took it somewhere else.

And that last line took things to a whole new level of "comedic" :lol:

Both sides have their story. Truth is probably in the middle. That ******** is dead though. Let's leave it that way.

Last edited:
WBC president orders Danny Garcia to defend title against Amir Khan by June

By Wil Esco

@wil_esco on Jan 26, 2016, 9:45a 56
Kevork Djansezian/Getty Images

Mauricio Sulaiman says Danny Garcia must face his mandatory challenger Amir Khan next.
Tweet Share
Pin

Danny Garcia is the newly-minted WBC welterweight champion of the world, but he won't be allowed to rest on his laurels by the sanctioning body. WBC president Mauricio Sulaiman has ordered Danny Garcia to face Amir Khan by June, which means no voluntary defense for Garcia. For those of you who asked me when the WBC has ever not allowed a new champion to make a voluntary defense right off the bat -- well, here's an instance.

After the Garcia-Guerrero fight, neither Danny nor father/trainer Angel Garcia appeared to be particularly keen on facing Khan for a second time -- with Angel suggesting that Khan should take some interim fights and Danny saying that he doesn't have to fight anybody. But the WBC has another take on that:

"[Garcia-Guerrero] was a tremendous fight for the WBC Championship. Now we have a champion and it's going to be a great year go come. Amir Khan is the mandatory contender, he is next for Danny Garcia and they must fight by June," said Sulaiman.

Khan has gone on record saying that he wants to face Danny Garcia as soon as possible, emphatically telling TMZ that he believes if he can put a good beating on Danny that he'll still have a chance to, somehow, capture his white whale in Floyd Mayweather.

In another interview, Khan provided some clarification on his verbal jousting with Floyd that occurred during the Garcia-Guerrero fight. Khan says it was actually Mayweather who prompted their exchange. He says Floyd wasn't impressed with Garcia and turned back to poke fun at Khan for losing to him. All in all, this seems like an accurate depiction of what took place given that Mayweather was recorded on camera dismissing Garcia as "easy work" to Khan's face.

In any event, it looks like Khan will get his welterweight title shot within the next few months, and that the only way he won't be fighting Danny Garcia in a rematch is if he either gives up his mandatory position or if Garcia vacates the title he just won. Neither of those things seem likely, so Garcia-Khan II it is.

And that last line took things to a whole new level of "comedic" :lol:

Both sides have their story. Truth is probably in the middle. That ******** is dead though. Let's leave it that way.

It's the same 3-4 people all the time in here, still harping on that BS, every chance they get :smh:

Looks like the Garcia's won't be able to avoid Khan, but who know's wth boxing nowadays, there's always a way or a reason for fighters to duck, sidestep, or avoid fights.

Still it makes sense that Garcia vs Khan 2 happens. It should've really happened for the vacated belt, but WBC skipped over the #1 ranked and went with Ghost (ranked#6)

He just needs to fight Brook already.

This has to happen somewhere down the line. Too much bad blood between these two.

Last edited:
I think Danny dont want any art of Khan in a rematch. As Khan is a new man under Virgil , even though he has a glass jaw I think he has the goods to get the victory.

Of all the welterweights who have fought to this point I honestly have no problem putting Brook at the top of the divsion right now.

Speaking of Kell Brook, whatever happened with his showdown with Diego Chaves? I remember he suffered that rib injury but did they ever reschedule?

I need to see the return of Diego's manager :nerd: :nthat:

Khan hasn't looked good either tho, pillow fisted Algieri put a hurting on him and landed some monster shots. I think Khan will outbox him but eventually he'll get caught again

EDIT: ^^^ Dude beat me to it :lol:

No doubt Amir is the kind of fighter that would give Danny fits.

Same was the case in the first fight though.

Khan needs to protect that chin. Algeri landed his shots. Luckily, he's not a big puncher. Sharper boxer though.

I don't even think that's why they don't want that fight. I don't really care for it myself.

I'd rather see Garcia vs. Thurman/Porter winner and Khan vs. Brook. I just find both of those fights more interesting.

Curious to see how it plays out.

Last edited:
My fault, I was more so referring to Canelo's current situation with GGG.

He can either fight ggg now, or keep low balling ggg and bringing business and bs politics etc to avoid/postpone the fight.

Canelo can fight other cats and still make ready good money. And in the process, let a 33 or 34 YO ggg keep aging and hope he's ripe for the picking a couple year plus down the line ... Kinda like ....

Nah that was different lol

So its looking like its gonna be GGG vs. Dominic Wade smh... I know they're having trouble finding an opponent, but there has to be someone better out there

My fault, I was more so referring to Canelo's current situation with GGG.

He can either fight ggg now, or keep low balling ggg and bringing business and bs politics etc to avoid/postpone the fight.

Canelo can fight other cats and still make ready good money. And in the process, let a 33 or 34 YO ggg keep aging and hope he's ripe for the picking a couple year plus down the line ... Kinda like ....

Nah that was different lol

Floyd didn't age?

:lol:

You gotta let that go.

Garcia/Guererro replay on FS1 right now actually. At least East Coast.

Last edited:
If Garcia fights like he did these past couple of fights I'm taking Khan.

I'm the opposite, I still think Garcia beats him. Khan hasn't shown me anything to think that he will put a hurting on Danny

Garcia hasn't shown me anything lately.

If Khan can keep the pressure on him like Guerrero did in the first half, Peterson in the second half, or like Herrera did the whole fight he has a chance.

But we all know Khan can get caught at any moment which keeps Garcia's chances of winning pretty high.

Now y'all got me ready to see a rematch after I bashed it a few weeks ago :smh: :lol:

One of the interesting aspects of a possible GGG-Wade fight is the fact that Wade’s adviser is Al Haymon. Anyone who follows boxing should already know that Haymon, the Premier Boxing Champions creator, and HBO had a serious fracture in their relationship a couple of years ago. Because of that, Haymon’s fighters are banned from the network, a decision made by former HBO Sports President Ken Hershman.

Hershman’s contract expired on Dec. 31 and he is no longer at the network, having been replaced by his former second-in-command Peter Nelson, who now runs HBO Sports under the executive vice president title.

Now whether this is a special situation because Wade is the mandatory challenger for Golovkin, who is under contract to HBO, or whether Nelson will seek to start fresh with Haymon remains to be seen, but all indications are that HBO would allow Wade to fight Golovkin on the network should Loeffler and Brown make a deal.

One would have to assume that Loeffler would not have begun discussions with Brown for the fight without HBO having already approved Wade as an opponent.

HBO did not want to get into it other than to say “we support GGG.” Loeffler said he is working on Golovkin’s next fight but declined to discuss the potential opponent.

And that last line took things to a whole new level of "comedic"
laugh.gif

I disagree with you ....

Undefeted records do matter a lot in Boxing. (1) loss - you might get away, but once you start having 3-4 - you are a bum. This is not MMA, when you can get submitted .. This is a skilled sport ... punching, counter and defense ..... 

True Canelo has one loss in his record, but he is also Mexican and there are not many out there at the moment, so yes, he will get the backing. However, as soon as that dude looses again, if it's not a instant rematch - I can tell you those numbers are most likely going to drop //

MMA is much more unpredictable though, which is why losses tend to count for less in that arena. There's so many different ways to lose on top of just the straightforward way of being outboxed, sobecause of that styles make matchups, probably even moreso than boxing. The different strengths and weaknesses between fighters in MMA can vary way more.

In boxing it's just the hands, so when a dude has lost three and four times he's not necessarily a bum, but the blueprint is definitely out there on how to take advantage of him. And there's less adjustments you can make in boxing vs. mma, so when the blueprint is out there alot of boxers have a tougher time winning fights against high level dudes. Brandon Rios or Ruslan Provodnikov probably aren't gonna figure out how to deal with a technical fighter with good movement anytime soon. They are who they are.

But even saying that, there's alot of dudes with success in boxing after taking losses. How you lost and who you lost to makes a big difference.

Cotto has 5 losses. Had 4 before Canelo. Not a bum.

Leo Santa Cruz, undefeated Mexican (one draw). Nowhere near the level Canelo is.

If you're going to say it's because of this or that, well the point still stands. It's not about the "0". If there's a story there, people will watch.

Dudes headlined a PPV that did #s. Kovalev, Ward, GGG, not so much.

The Pacquiao we knew was never undefeated.

B Hop had plenty L's. People tuned in either way (unless they just didn't like his style).

Gabe Rosado got 9 losses and they were actually talking about him fighting Canelo next :lol:

I think those antiquated perceptions of boxers are starting to pass.

IMO people want to see good fights. If they know you're nice, I don't think people care if you're undefeated or not.

You fight, you're going to get hit. You fight enough, more often than not, you're going to lose at least one or 2.

Back
Top Bottom