Official 2016 Boxing Thread: 11/5/2016 - Vargas/Pacquiao Top Rank PPV.

IMO people want to see good fights. If they know you're nice, I don't think people care if you're undefeated or not.

You fight, you're going to get hit. You fight enough, more often than not, you're going to lose at least one or 2.

All of this!

Records be damned!
If you nice with your hands and you mix it up and give the people a good show, they will watch regardless of record.

So its looking like its gonna be GGG vs. Dominic Wade smh... I know they're having trouble finding an opponent, but there has to be someone better out there

I think Tureano Johnson was close to done until he got hurt. I am not saying that's a much better choice. :lol:

:wow: :lol:

I had almost no intention on watching this fight before but I'm not gonna lie, Pascal talkin all this **** kinda got me interested. Unfortunately I don't see this going much differently from the first one but hopefully he can represent himself well.

And for the record I don't think Pascal is wrong with what he's saying. After I saw Kovalev photoshop a monkey's head on Adonis Stevenson I knew what time it was with that dude. Respect Kovalev's skill in the ring but he's a clown otherwise.

eek.gif
laugh.gif

I had almost no intention on watching this fight before but I'm not gonna lie, Pascal talkin all this **** kinda got me interested. Unfortunately I don't see this going much differently from the first one but hopefully he can represent himself well.

And for the record I don't think Pascal is wrong with what he's saying. After I saw Kovalev photoshop a monkey's head on Adonis Stevenson I knew what time it was with that dude. Respect Kovalev's skill in the ring but he's a clown otherwise.
He's not.

Technically I guess you could give Kovalev some benefit of doubt on the Adonis thing because that was in response to Adonis calling him an ape and wasn't unprompted, but he has said some other ****** up ****. 

Kovalev called Grover Young a "thoroughbred N", after Young faked an injury in their fight and got it scored a TD, and he said some other **** in this Russian interview 

http://allboxing.ru/archives/2013-08-31_[hour]_[min].html-10

Boxing Leaks ‏@BoxingLeaks  1h1 hour ago
People at Roc Nation seem pretty convinced that Ward will fight Barrera on March 26 (HBO).  What are you hearing, @steveucnlive ?

Steve Kim ‏@steveucnlive  1h1 hour ago
@BoxingLeaks I believe it will get done. IMO, they are too far into the process to go with anyone else
 Clay Stevenson ‏@GLITTERROAD  1h1 hour ago
@BoxingLeaks I heard that Stevenson-kovalev is dead. What happen

@GLITTERROAD As reported in boxing media is as I understand it.

HG ‏@KD4PRESIDENT  1h1 hour ago
@BoxingLeaks @GLITTERROAD Does HBO not want to do another co-show with SHO?

@KD4PRESIDENT @GLITTERROAD No interest.
 linusesq ‏@linusesq  1h1 hour ago
@steveucnlive @BoxingLeaks what has our favorite Swiss banker/snake been up to lately?

@linusesq @steveucnlive Flirting with working for Mayweather.  Rumours he'll take front-stage role with PBC are not true, as far as I know.

Steve Kim ‏@steveucnlive  1h1 hour ago
@BoxingLeaks @linusesq with the current litigation,  the heat is on and I dont think he wants any part of it

He's not.

Technically I guess you could give Kovalev some benefit of doubt on the Adonis thing because that was in response to Adonis calling him an ape and wasn't unprompted, but he has said some other ****** up ****. 

Kovalev called Grover Young a "thoroughbred N", after Young faked an injury in their fight and got it scored a TD, and he said some other **** in this Russian interview 

http://allboxing.ru/archives/2013-08-31_[hour]_[min].html-10

Damn, never even saw all that, not surprising though. Well yeah like I said he's nice with the hands but outside the ring, **** em. I'll laugh the day he gets his **** rocked. Pascal probably ain't the guy to do it though.

Kovalev being racist doesn't surprise me given he was born and raised in Russia to a poor family. I've met a lot of Russians and a good number didn't like blacks and in most cases hadn't met any until leaving Russia.

Most of the prior Soviet Union is similar. I can't imagine the racism Ismail Sillakh must have dealt with growing up in the Ukraine.

Cotto has 5 losses. Had 4 before Canelo. Not a bum.

Leo Santa Cruz, undefeated Mexican (one draw). Nowhere near the level Canelo is.

If you're going to say it's because of this or that, well the point still stands. It's not about the "0". If there's a story there, people will watch.

Dudes headlined a PPV that did #s. Kovalev, Ward, GGG, not so much.

The Pacquiao we knew was never undefeated.

B Hop had plenty L's. People tuned in either way (unless they just didn't like his style).

Gabe Rosado got 9 losses and they were actually talking about him fighting Canelo next
laugh.gif

I think those antiquated perceptions of boxers are starting to pass.

IMO people want to see good fights. If they know you're nice, I don't think people care if you're undefeated or not.

You fight, you're going to get hit. You fight enough, more often than not, you're going to lose at least one or 2.
Cotto is not a bum because of this generation of boxer - but he is not elite or great by any means. He has lost to all the top fighters .....

The Pac we knew had losses before he went on a streak - however, many top fighters to include Mayweather believed he was using PED's. But since he went on a streak and was KOing everyone, he became like the HOPE to bring down Mayweather ... 

Not many people are watching Hopkins anymore ... The majority if not all of his looses came when he was a senior citizen .... The last fights that I saw from him, he was not exiting and def not the Hopkins I knew ... However, the younger dudes which speaks of this generation, can't take him down.

Gabe Rosado is a good journey man - he will stand and trade and take a beating for everyones enjoyment ..... case in point the GGG fight ... People like to see that vices a good technical fight (people moving n countering-boring right?) Plus they are good for the sport .. They are true test for young up and coming stars.

I don't believe the old school train of though is going anywhere - its just the fact that MMA has made it cool to have looses and be great and the dying sport of boxing.

You can be nice and be undefeated - however in my eyes you aren't great if you have multiple L's in you resume and from people that aren't elite ...

Is cool to have an L and be Holyfield Forman Chavez Sugar Etc .... Those fighters were elite .. they fought the best and either the best beat them or they stuck around for way to long to just not be able to perform.

Other L's that don't matter - someone like Oliver McCall getting Lucky or Hasim Rahman on Lennox ... Getting DQ because you punched down opponent (Jones) - etc

Which brings me to Jones - he has mad looses but he was great - not he needs to just stop ... It is tarnishing his career.

If they are fighting each other Porter, Thurman, Garcia, GGG, Canelo, etc then that L might not mean much - but if they are taking L's before going to those megafights .. then - IMHO you are not elite ....

Last edited:
OK. So you moved the goalpost.

Cool :lol:

I'm sure there are people that would tell you Garcia is not "elite". Even though he's "undefeated".

Again if you're saying there are extenuating circumstances as to why fighters are still successful even though they are or aren't undefeated, the point stands that the "0" doesn't seem to mean as much as you think.

Cotto and Canelo both had "L"s going into a "megafight". No one cared.

Last edited:
Garcia is most definitely not elite, he has no desire to fight elite competition when he can fight the Salka's of boxing. Just ask his dad.

OK. So you moved the goalpost.

Cool
laugh.gif

I'm sure there are people that would tell you Garcia is not "elite". Even though he's "undefeated".

Again if you're saying there are extenuating circumstances as to why fighters are still successful even though they are or aren't undefeated, the point stands that the "0" doesn't seem to mean as much as you think.

Cotto and Canelo both had "L"s going into a "megafight". No one cared.
I can see your point ...

I didn't move it at all - my initial comment was in regards to Danny's father. There are many that still believe a "0" on the L column is important.

Cotto and Canelo was a megafight because 1. Mexican/Puertorican still support their fighters. 2. What else can we see that is supported? 

Which brings me to my previous comment about PBC, it is great they are airing this fight on a free broadcast network. We need to inspire the public and youth .. We have to make household names out of some of this kids ....

GGG, Thurman, Porter, Garcia, etc aren't big ticket guys because no one knows them....

Cotto is known because of the Puertorican viewers and the fight and compliments from Floyd - Canelo because of the Mexican fans ..  

It is simple ....

Jean Pascal is going to destroy Sergey Kovalev. Sergey is going to get KOed in the 3rd round.

Pascal is too good, too fast, good power, good defense. One of the best p4p today IMO.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom