Official 2017-2018 Knicks season thread

You get drafted based on potential. Look at last years draft, one of the most loaded drafts in recent memory. Everyone in the top 14 were freshman except for Mitchell and Kennard. If you’re a 4 year college player chances are you’re a late first rounder/second rounder.
This kinda solidifies my feelings on college basketball. It's a damn shame they won't let kids go straight pro or pay the athletes who stay since it's absolutely against your best interest to be interested in an education if you're a ball player. It's a mockery and a sham :lol:

Seeing Knick players and the head coach at a ECF (something they’ll never reach) and in Boston (a pile of **** worthless city) pisses me the **** off

This kinda solidifies my feelings on college basketball. It's a damn shame they won't let kids go straight pro or pay the athletes who stay since it's absolutely against your best interest to be interested in an education if you're a ball player. It's a mockery and a sham :lol:
1000% agree with all of this. Whole system is ****ed up. ****s over the kids by forcing them to play in school for a year for no compensation and hurts the college bball product as a whole with the best players/teams changing every year (except for Jay Wright because he's the best coach in the biz), instead of watching real programs build like we used to see even 15 years ago when everyone who played college bball wanted to be there since the best of the best entered out of HS. The Big East in the early/mid 2000s was the absolute ****.

At the same time, I must admit, it has made the NBA draft 100x better. That's the one thing the one and done era has positively effected. Because now the best of the best don't get drafted with little available scouting resources and underdeveloped games. They play in the NCAA for a season and there is a lot more information for teams to go off of in terms of scouting and they are much better prepared for the League coming in. The bust rate at the top of the draft is significantly lower than it used to be.

I think the current age restrictions can still work but the NCAA needs to compensate players by at least allowing them to make money on their likeness. Or, preferably, the G-League becomes the NBA equivalent of MLB's farm system and the best of the best get drafted by NBA teams, get paid, play under NBA coaches who prepare/develop them for the NBA game without making them attend bull **** classes (some kind of education on finances would be helpful though); and still enter the big League with the same level of preparedness we see rookies with a year or 2 of college basketball experience having today.

One way or another the current format is broken *** bull**** but letting HS kids go straight to the League isn't the right answer either. Honestly, not only does it hurt the teams in the draft picking immature players with less scouting to go off of, but it hurts the kids because too many of them make the leap before they are ready because of financial incentives and end up much worse off long-term than they would have been being a one-and-done.

But yeah, it also kind of pushes upper classmen to the side. Rarely will you see a junior/senior getting drafted in the lottery unless they make a special kind of leap like Mikal or it's just a weak *** draft like 2 years ago when Kris Dunn, Buddy Hield, Taurean Prince, and Denzel Valentine were all lottery picks. That hasn't been the case the last 2 years. Which is why Grayson missed his window to be a lottery pick. In addition to being younger, it was also a weak *** draft class.

I think the current age restrictions can still work but the NCAA needs to compensate players by at least allowing them to make money on their likeness. Or, preferably, the G-League becomes the NBA equivalent of MLB's farm system and the best of the best get drafted by NBA teams, get paid, play under NBA coaches who prepare/develop them for the NBA game without making them attend bull **** classes (some kind of education on finances would be helpful though); and still enter the big League with the same level of preparedness we see rookies with a year or 2 of college basketball experience having today.

This. I think it would be beneficial to both the G-League and the players to be given the option to either go to college or spend two years in the GL. I think the point of "forcing" players to go to school is the hope that they learn responsibility. I don't find it wise to give a naive and impressionable teenager millions of dollars. The GL should also provide classes on finance, economics, and even business courses. This will hopefully prevent kids from blowing their money and they'll learn how to make more intelligent investments. I like two years, because its like going to community/junior college, and then going out into the work force. If kids decide to go to college, then there needs to be some kind of compensation. Hell, even $50k a year is good enough.

NBA would rather the NCAA be the farm system when they should invest in their own product. They don't want to because it will cost money and G League won't have the fan base to run at a profit. Baseballs figured it out, i dont think I've ever purchased at ticket to any minor league game I've gone to, basketball can as well.
I def don't agree with staying in college longer being worse for the league. The best team in basketball right now had its core made from 3 and 4 year players.

NBA would rather the NCAA be the farm system when they should invest in their own product. They don't want to because it will cost money and G League won't have the fan base to run at a profit. Baseballs figured it out, i dont think I've ever purchased at ticket to any minor league game I've gone to, basketball can as well.
I def don't agree with staying in college longer being worse for the league. The best team in basketball right now had its core made from 3 and 4 year players.
You might be right about that, but if the NBA can figure out a way to build a farm system that's profitable (even if it's just marginally) I hope we can say bye bye to the NCAA forever.

Seeing Knick players and the head coach at a ECF (something they’ll never reach) and in Boston (a pile of **** worthless city) pisses me the **** off
We've been seeing ex-Knicks contending forever, man... I mean J.R./Shump/Mozgov won a chip the next year :lol:... David Lee... Ariza... gawd...

Melo.... just kidding.

Yeah I definitely think the NBA doesnt wants to **** up the NCAA's billion dollar industry by stealing away the best pro prospects and having them play in the G-League. That would make the G-League the real farm system of the NBA so college ball would be filled mostly with very low level pro prospects, which would take away the incentive of some people - who really just watch NCAA basketball to see future NBA stars - from following the NCAA. Even though it would clearly be a better system for the players, I think the NBA's relationship with the NCAA kind of gets in the way of that, for now at least.

Even though I think college football/basketball players deserve set salaries because they are the ones bringing in the most money and they are also the only athletes basically being forced to be their by draft restrictions, it could definitely get tricky to manage based on how much money each school has and also the issues it could bring up with athletes of less popular sports or female athletes who then think they should receive compensation as well.

But even if the NCAA doesn't approve set salaries for players, they need to at the very least allow them to start making money off their likeness. That **** is ridiculous and it doesn't even cost the NCAA money, it just lets the players go out on their own. This also fairly separates the athletes who should be getting paid getting the money they deserve and athletes who don't necessarily deserve compensation and are more typical "student-athletes" from not getting paid.

Just basic rules of capitalism. If Deandre Ayton is a star at Arizona and fans want to buy his jersey and pay him for autographs and/or appearances, then he is making money he deserves to get. If a walk on at Arizona doesn't have that same kind of notoriety, then he isn't making that kind of money which is fine. Same goes for athletes of other sports and they can't complain about the unfairness of it because there isn't a set salary they are making. They are just afforded to make money off their own popularity.

D5141B84-6F18-4B79-8AF9-8C38D4F29D5D.jpeg

Yeah I definitely think the NBA doesnt wants to **** up the NCAA's billion dollar industry by stealing away the best pro prospects and having them play in the G-League. That would make the G-League the real farm system of the NBA so college ball would be filled mostly with very low level pro prospects, which would take away the incentive of some people - who really just watch NCAA basketball to see future NBA stars - from following the NCAA. Even though it would clearly be a better system for the players, I think the NBA's relationship with the NCAA kind of gets in the way of that, for now at least.

Even though I think college football/basketball players deserve set salaries because they are the ones bringing in the most money and they are also the only athletes basically being forced to be their by draft restrictions, it could definitely get tricky to manage based on how much money each school has and also the issues it could bring up with athletes of less popular sports or female athletes who then think they should receive compensation as well.

But even if the NCAA doesn't approve set salaries for players, they need to at the very least allow them to start making money off their likeness. That **** is ridiculous and it doesn't even cost the NCAA money, it just lets the players go out on their own. This also fairly separates the athletes who should be getting paid getting the money they deserve and athletes who don't necessarily deserve compensation and are more typical "student-athletes" from not getting paid.

Just basic rules of capitalism. If Deandre Ayton is a star at Arizona and fans want to buy his jersey and pay him for autographs and/or appearances, then he is making money he deserves to get. If a walk on at Arizona doesn't have that same kind of notoriety, then he isn't making that kind of money which is fine. Same goes for athletes of other sports and they can't complain about the unfairness of it because there isn't a set salary they are making. They are just afforded to make money off their own popularity.
I personally don't want to see players paid by universities because I think it's disgusting the amount of money that these supposed educational institutions, that are public, are spending on sports already. The top paid public employee in 39 states is a goddamn coach. That disgusts me more than anything. The NCAA needs to be de-professionalized (re: destroyed) from the top down.

But yes, these players should obviously be able to make money off their likenesses like any other student can make money off a job. And if colleges aren't going to spend money on sports and can cap coach salaries at like, 100k, then we will see a true minor league grow up where the guys like a Simmons or a Rose or anyone who is just looking to play ball can go.

We've been seeing ex-Knicks contending forever, man... I mean J.R./Shump/Mozgov won a chip the next year :lol:... David Lee... Ariza... gawd...

Melo.... just kidding.

I’m talking about current players in the crowd, not the exes that go on to bigger and better things

Back
Top Bottom