OFFICIAL 2017 COLLEGE FOOTBALL OFFSEASON THREAD - Spring Game schedule on first page

Who is going to win the Pac 12 this season?

• USC

Votes: 13 38.2%
  • Stanford

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Washington

Votes: 9 26.5%
  • Oregon

Votes: 4 11.8%
  • UCLA

Votes: 2 5.9%
  • Wazzu

• Utah

Votes: 1 2.9%
  • Colorado

• Oregon St

• Cal

• Arizona St

• Arizona

Votes: 1 2.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Herman is very much so not a lock to LSU right now. People assume he is, and LSU will definitely try hard, but as of right now everything is pointing to him either staying in Houston this year or looking at 1-2 other possible openings.

But yes apparently SC boosters are jumping up and down for Miles. Eww.

the more i think about it, the more it makes sense to get Miles, unfortunately. Its the spot we are in. No coach thats employed will take the job. So we have to wait until early Dec.

Huge risk. Wait and prey someone like Herman or Dantonio will come? And be left with Wittingham if they both say no? Or even Fisher?

Or hire Les right now where he can assemble a great staff and start recruiting.

If you had to choose, who you picking between Les and Wittingham?

Unless the team gets blown out several times this year they're not firing Helton before December.

If he goes 7-5 (8-4 lol) is competitive in the losses and doesn't lose the team the game with bad decisions like punting from the 37, there's a high probability he saves his job. 6-6 and he's gone.

Whittingham is a great coach. With the recruits he gets he may even be a better coach than we realize. His teams are super disciplined and he schemes well.

That said I don't want him at SC.

Last edited:
Unless the team gets blown out several times this year they're not firing Helton before December.

If he goes 7-5 (8-4 lol) is competitive in the losses and doesn't lose the team the game with bad decisions like punting from the 37, there's a high probability he saves his job. 6-6 and he's gone.

Whittingham is a great coach. With the recruits he gets he may even be a better coach than we realize. His teams are super disciplined and he schemes well.

Who do you want? Last year you didn't want Herman. What's a realistic hire for y'all?

has Cam always been his Les Miles OC? I swear there was someone before Cam but can't think of the name

Nope... First time for Cam working under Miles... Both Michigan coaches with Bo and thats the tie... Cam was in the NFL for a decade before joining Les at LSU

Nope... First time for Cam working under Miles... Both Michigan coaches with Bo and thats the tie... Cam was in the NFL for a decade before joining Les at LSU

who was the previous OC before Cam? The name alludes me and its bugging me.

ok, that wasnt the name i was thinking of :rofl:

it had more of a ring to it. I must be thinking of something else.

ok, that wasnt the name i was thinking of :rofl:

it had more of a ring to it. I must be thinking of something else.

Haha yeah the offensive coordinators at LSU haven't been the big name types you would think except for Jimbo back in the day its more so the defensive coordinators like Chavis, Pelini and Muschamp

I would be very happy if we hired Les Miles idk why he gets so much hate

he's always been known for making some bad coaching decisions. He's also had alot of luck on his side, making questionable calls that turned out to be the call to win games. He does have 40+ players in the NFL right now......

I'm starting to lean towards Miles now. Tell me Herman and Kelly are not available, I'm all in for Miles. We're a mess. Not alot of coaches out there who want to fix this mess.

I'm very confident Herman is the next LSU coach, which means Aranda stays since they have a connection back in their Cal Lutheran days. Aranda would have been an excellent piece that would come with Miles.

Cant imagine being able to talk Coach O into coming as well. WOuld be scary to see Les, Tee, and Coach O recruiting, along with Dameuyn Craig.

And I'm not waiting to fire Helton in December. I'm doing it NOW. What else more do you need to see? We make the move now to keep whatever recruits we have in the fold and build on that, which they will easily do if they went with this scenario. Helton is not the guy. WHy let him win 5 in a row and save his job? He stinks. I've seen enough. This job is too big for him.

Officially talked myself into Miles........

he's always been known for making some bad coaching decisions. He's also had alot of luck on his side, making questionable calls that turned out to be the call to win games. He does have 40+ players in the NFL right now......

I'm starting to lean towards Miles now. Tell me Herman and Kelly are not available, I'm all in for Miles. We're a mess. Not alot of coaches out there who want to fix this mess.

I'm very confident Herman is the next LSU coach, which means Aranda stays since they have a connection back in their Cal Lutheran days. Aranda would have been an excellent piece that would come with Miles.

Cant imagine being able to talk Coach O into coming as well. WOuld be scary to see Les, Tee, and Coach O recruiting, along with Dameuyn Craig.

And I'm not waiting to fire Helton in December. I'm doing it NOW. What else more do you need to see? We make the move now to keep whatever recruits we have in the fold and build on that, which they will easily do if they went with this scenario. Helton is not the guy. WHy let him win 5 in a row and save his job? He stinks. I've seen enough. This job is too big for him.

Officially talked myself into Miles........

Didn't even need anyone to talk me into it Miles can coach his *** off despite some of his mental mistakes :lol:

His record speaks for itself he's still a terrific coach and he is def better than what we have had at USC as of late. Give me Miles any day of the week over Sark, Helton, Kiffin etc.

Give me Miles any day of the week over Sark, Helton, Kiffin etc.

very true.

I thought the coach hire after Sark was really important for the program. Felt like the program would either rise back up, and fall down and go back to being a 9 win program. The day Helton was hired, I knew this program would regret it.

But Miles could make up for it. We really are in no position to say we deserve better, to be honest.

This guy would eat the recruits up over here. I coached Odell. I see you in him. Has a NC ring. I actually prefer him over Chip Kelly now. Chip won't have that Nike swag backing him like he did at Oregon. Chip needs to go back to Oregon.

Who do you want? Last year you didn't want Herman. What's a realistic hire for y'all?
Huh? Last year I was the one SC fan (maybe Casper and Jus too) who vocally 100% wanted Herman. Only person I wanted if we couldn't get him was John Harbaugh. Then after some depression and warnings from Meth, I talked myself into believing Helton wouldn't be a disaster...

Honestly, I'd be over the moon with Herman, Stoops, or any of the completely unrealistic possibilities like Patterson, Dantonio, or Chip Kelly.

I don't know how I'd feel about a hire like PJ Fleck or Matt Rhule - probably wouldn't like it. Rhule wouldn't be out of the question either considering Swann's Pennsylvania ties.

Last edited:

LSU is pursuing Mark Dantonio, right now, not Tom Herman, per reports.

http://www.freep.com/story/sports/c...an-state-football-mark-dantonio-lsu/91114018/
Any other links?  The only reports I could find are only speculating on the possibility.  As hilarious as it would be to see him leave for LSU, he's not leaving at this age, and his ego wouldn't allow him to go through with it anyways. 

Also FWIW he declined to follow Saban to LSU in 99. 
But yes apparently SC boosters are jumping up and down for Miles. Eww.
laugh.gif

Gus Bradley, I'm calling it now.  They are going to keep hiring guys off that Carrol tree until one of them pans out.  The Swann hire showed nothing has changed there. 
The Les you would be getting is not the mid 2000's-early 2010's Les Miles. 

Give me Miles any day of the week over Sark, Helton, Kiffin etc.
very true.

I thought the coach hire after Sark was really important for the program. Felt like the program would either rise back up, and fall down and go back to being a 9 win program. The day Helton was hired, I knew this program would regret it.

But Miles could make up for it. We really are in no position to say we deserve better, to be honest.

This guy would eat the recruits up over here. I coached Odell. I see you in him. Has a NC ring. I actually prefer him over Chip Kelly now. Chip won't have that Nike swag backing him like he did at Oregon. Chip needs to go back to Oregon.
My problem with Miles, and probably why old timey SC fans LOVE the idea of him, is he's still stuck in that 2 yards and a cloud of dust, control the ball, win 13-7 mind set.

His defenses are always tops in the country, sure, but they don't face Wazzu, Oregon, Arizona, ASU, Colorado, and Notre Dame every year. Lately his teams seem to struggle whenever he needs to put up more than 3 TDs to win a game.

Seriously, you can go look it up. His team offense averaged 3.5 Tds in 2013, 3 TDs a game in 2014, 4 TDs in 2015.

There's a strong "washed up" feel to his coaching. Sure they've gone 8-5, 10-3, 9-4, etc. But is that what we want? Why'd we fire Kiffin then?

Last edited:
I thought you were big on Herman not having the experience? Could be completely misremembering this, but it was one of you guys.

I thought you were big on Herman not having the experience? Could be completely misremembering this, but it was one of you guys.

No, you were correct. Nako wanted Helton over Herman because he was less risky, which is why he and i butted heads alot. I didnt understand that. Herman was calling plays for years while Helton called plays for one year. Herman's experience told me he was less risky than Helton. OSU's offense looked terrible the very first year Herman wasnt there. Dude is legit.

I kept a manifest, Nako, so if i have to pull it up, I will (i didnt really keep a manifest but used it for those who know about the guy who kept a manifest for all of those who hated on Lebron on the cavs). Admit it. You were meh about the hire at first but thought you could trust the program and felt it was the right thing to do, to give Helton a chance before complaining about it. Thats why you and i didnt get along. I HATED the hire the minute it was announced.

100% you thought Helton was safer choice than Herman.

My problem with Miles, and probably why old timey SC fans LOVE the idea of him, is he's still stuck in that 2 yards and a cloud of dust, control the ball, win 13-7 mind set.

His defenses are always tops in the country, sure, but they don't face Wazzu, Oregon, Arizona, ASU, Colorado, and Notre Dame every year. Lately his teams seem to struggle whenever he needs to put up more than 3 TDs to win a game.

Seriously, you can go look it up. His team offense averaged 3.5 Tds in 2013, 3 TDs a game in 2014, 4 TDs in 2015.

There's a strong "washed up" feel to his coaching. Sure they've gone 8-5, 10-3, 9-4, etc. But is that what we want? Why'd we fire Kiffin then?

i'm assuming he wouldnt be bringing Cam back, or at least i'm hoping.

But yes, this is a major concern. He's proven the inability to produce QB's at LSU and relied on overall talent to make up for that. He could do that in the SEC. Overwhelm everyone with NFL talent except at the QB position.

But honestly, take away Herman, who else do you like?

I love the fact that Miles is jobless right now and readily available. And with how we weak we might think of him, he's vault right up to the top, next to Shaw, in the Pac-12.

Will USC hire Miles? I thought the coach had to be associated with USC in some way? Or are they finally over that seeing as how it's done nothing but backfire

I sure hope they have moved on with insisting on hiring someone who's part of the Trojan family. Havent they learned.

Which might be why i'm begging for Miles before we do something stupid and hire Jeff Fisher once the rams off him.

Chuck Carlton ‏@ChuckCarltonDMN  18m18 minutes ago
LSU head coach odds (via @BovadaLV): Tom Herman 5/4, Jimbo Fisher 3/1, Larry Fedora 4/1. Also: Gary Patterson 15/1, Art Briles 28/1
Chuck Carlton ‏@ChuckCarltonDMN  2h2 hours ago
Can confirm report, via sources, by @SIPeteThamel that Oklahoma, Boren now negative on Big 12 expansion, a potential game - changer.
They gone 
laugh.gif
.  The Big XII is a joke. 

Herman's a Tiger. Its a wrap.

(Could be reverse psychology I'm doing hoping the Trojans can land him - but seriously, he's going to be the LSU coach. He damn for sure won't be the Cougars coach)

Back
Top Bottom