Official 2017 NBA Offseason Thread: Media Days begin

Status
Not open for further replies.
 Frank Ntilikina got an early indoctrination to life as a Knick when Phil Jackson was fired days after the drafted the rookie. "First of all I just want to thank him for drafting me," Ntilikina said. "I really enjoyed the conversations we had together. Now my goal is to be focused on what I can control. Right now I'm just focused on being ready for my rookie season."

When Amare turned into a Knick and was damn near idolized for a season, he didnt earn THAT much more through endorsements. Instead he found out he was Jewish and bought an Israeli team, which I think he plays for now :lol:

Now, i think PG could get way more endorsements if the Lakers were to win a ring with him and say Lebron. But thats a big if. Perhaps he knows something we don't.

I think the argument is that if you're a STAR, it really doesnt matter where you play, you'll get your money worth through endorsements. Case in point with Westbrook and other stars in small market teams.

Last edited:
I think the argument is that if you're a STAR, it really doesnt matter where you play, you'll get your money worth through endorsements. Case in point with Westbrook and other stars in small market teams.

That should be the case...but it's not

Cp3, great example...always a huge talent, wasnt doing state fan commercials in new Orleans

Last edited:
The new NBA where players in their prime who aren't ring chasing dont care about winning :rolleyes Maybe just maybe some of these guys want to win on their own terms and beat, not join, who they consider the best. Unfortunately this is the 'if you can't beat em join em generation' so true competitiveness gets lost in translation.

Last edited:

Who has disagreed with this?

Just on the Nike front:

But helping bolster Nike’s basketball footwear sales alone isn’t why George is important to the brand. The Indiana forward is one of the league’s best players.

He’s a four-time NBA All-Star and currently outperforming his career averages in points, assists and rebounds per game. Through 63 games, George averaged 22.3 points, 3.3 assists and 6.4 points per game.

But what industry experts believe could hold his star power back is playing in Indiana.

Prior to the 2017 NBA All-Star Game, George’s name was mentioned in several trade rumors that would have landed him on a team in a major market, such as the Boston Celtics or Los Angeles Lakers. (George and the Pacers face the Celtics in Boston tonight at 7:30 p.m. EST.)

Powell, an admitted Celtics fan, said Nike could benefit from George’s signature shoe sales if he played in a bigger market.

And Amin agrees.

“If he ends up in a big market [the PG1] could be very meaningful,” he said. “[Carmelo Anthony] never translated to selling a lot of shoes but he does enough [as a New York Knick] for Jordan Brand.”

That's not when going into the entertainment opportunities, investments in what is becoming Silicon Valley south. It's one thing to have endorsements, yes you can get those anywhere if it's a star. You're earning potential can always be more. Just look at what Kobe is doing post career in the film and investment realm. You have resources at your fingertips to elevate yourself and brand to stuff here or in NYC that just aren't available anywhere else.

Last edited:

EXACTLY.

My point is, PG isn't a star, unless we are going to loosely toss that word around

Jon Krawczynski: KAT to JB: “I was bringing wolves to playoffs with or w/o you. I’m so happy to have someone to share the burden.” – via Twitter APkrawczynski

:smokin

OK, and how is simply living and playing in LA going to earn him more?

I don't think it's a secret that being a star in L.A. or NYC has an effect on your earning potential vs. Small markets.

OK, and how is simply living and playing in LA going to earn him more?

Sure. There's still intrinsic value from being a superstar in LA or NY vs Indiana. I don't even see how it's a debate tbh.

There is a debate. What the rest of us are saying is that with the advent of national TV and social media, this whole notion of having to end up in a big market is completely overblown.

Last edited:
All he gotta do is win. Then when it's time to reup with his current sponsors he'll get the bag.

Look no further than Curry

DDbd3ppVwAEbO4d.jpg:small

There is a debate. What the rest of us are saying is that with the advent of national TV and social media, this whole notion of having to end up in a big market is completely overblown.

Being a winning star in L.A. and nyc isn't the same as winning and being a star in Indiana or Charlotte

Being a winning star in L.A. and nyc isn't the same as winning and being a star in Indiana or Charlotte

Nah not really. If you have a personality + bring a winning star you're good anywhere. More benefits come with being a star in a LA/NY but that's it

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom