Official 2017 NBA Offseason Thread: Media Days begin

Status
Not open for further replies.
but he blew the hell up in Denver. He was a household name in Denver. Perfect storm.

Its not about being a household name to fans like us who follow the NBA. My Mom knew who Melo was and she doesn't even watch the NBA.

That's not the point man. He's a BIGGER star in New York. Chris Paul was a star in New Orleans. He was a BIGGER star in LA.

What objective proof do you have of this?

i guess they arent that serious about creating a dynasty

iggy would be hard to replace the guy was key in both finals victories

Perhaps, but the off the court money in LA > *

is it though? i think thats 20 years ago. If you are good, you are going to make money off the court regardless. Whats he going to get in LA that he can;t elsewhere? Endorsements will be there if you're a star.

Yep. It's 2017, you can get what you want in every state other than Montana, Mississippi and other ****** places like that. This ain't 2000 or '95

where's the collector to make sense of all this and distract us with posts about john wall's gravity??
Studying so he can file his appeal.
So......lemme get this straight........he caught a case? And intends to defend himself?

Bruh.....yall better talk some sense in to your boy if this is the case.

We will never see him again.

Yall get the man....please....save him from destruction.

There is a debate. What the rest of us are saying is that with the advent of national TV and social media, this whole notion of having to end up in a big market is completely overblown.
Being a winning star in L.A. and nyc isn't the same as winning and being a star in Indiana or Charlotte
OK, good talk bud.

All I'm seeing are blanket statements with no concrete examples.
People keep saying "winning in NY" will make players a bigger star than winning elsewhere.  There is zero proof of this.  The last time there was a superstar winning in New York, the world and culture around superstars and endorsements was so different, that you cannot definitively say that in todays day it makes a difference.  Cant compare how superstars were treated in the 90s to how they are now.

What objective proof do you have of this?

Chris Paul was making 4 mil a year in endorsements his last year in New Orleans. He was at 8.5 last year with the Clippers.

Melo was at 5-6 million his last year in Denver. He has been at 8 in New York.

I can see Thabo, Justin Holiday, PJ Tucker fitting in well with GSW. Pat Mccaw should improve. Iggy is very important to what makes GSW a force.

Joe Ingles a reasonable replacement? I think iggy will resign though.

Damn, @The Collector really booked!

Sorry guys but the real Collector is locked up. He's handed the reigns over to me to update his status. He says all 31 teams except Washington is cotton candy soft. Especially the Cowboys, Giants and Eagles. HTTR

Also wanted to get a message to some DC guy about a bet. Said bet will be paid upon his release and return proper. Hopefully sooner then later.

[emoji]129300[/emoji][emoji]128563[/emoji]

Damn Bogdan signed with the Kings for 3 years 36 mill. Glad Dario said his "word meant more than paper" and came over after two years and took the rookie scale paycut :lol:

How much of this is attributable to the social media climate change since these two have moved?

Social media changed in 1 year? Melo was at 5-6 pre Knicks, his 1st year with New York he goes up to 8.

Same with Chris Paul the year prior to going to LA he was at 4. 2012 he went to 6. And has continued to build his brand since. There wasn't that much social media revolution in a year to account for that.

Last edited:
DDbd3ppVwAEbO4d.jpg:small

dass rodman

People keep saying "winning in NY" will make players a bigger star than winning elsewhere.  There is zero proof of this.  The last time there was a superstar winning in New York, the world and culture around superstars and endorsements was so different, that you cannot definitively say that in todays day it makes a difference.  Cant compare how superstars were treated in the 90s to how they are now.

Again, Chris Paul is the biggest example right now of it. He was great in New Orleans and great in L.A.

He wasn't doing state farm commercials in New Orleans, if DJ was playing in Portland, do you think he would be in those commercials?

Social media is the grand equalizer right? But everyone isn't on social media.

There are certain stars that transcend...lbj, curry, Durant, Westbrook etc. Maybe it doesn't apply to them much.

Let's assume the lbj to L.A. rumors are true. Why on earth would he want to come to L.A.? He's in a better basketball situation than both L.A.teams right now. He's the top off court earner in the NBA and has been for a long time. So, what's his motivation? Playing with the homies? You can go anywhere to play with the homies right?

If L.A. Isn't what it is along with nyc, why don't they call up mj, tell him to start clearing cap space, and all the homies can just go play in Charlotte. Right?

Last edited:
How much of this is attributable to the social media climate change since these two have moved?

Social media changed in 1 year? Melo was at 5-6 pre Knicks, his 1st year with New York he goes up to 8.

Same with Chris Paul the year prior to going to LA he was at 4. 2012 he went to 6. And has continued to build his brand since. There wasn't that much social media revolution in a year to account for that.

Social media isn't the same as it was in 2010 and 2011 when they made those career moves.

That's what I'm saying.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom