Official 2017 NBA Offseason Thread: Media Days begin

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh my bad :lol:   I thought you were comparing the 3 players

Yeah you're right then, Melo's always had strong branding/endorsement.  Not to mention George's Gatorade commercial calls attention to the fact that he's 0-15 in game winning/tying shot situations.

Yeah yeah yeah, we are talking endorsement potential right now. So of us think market is a little overblown and some thing it's a huge factor.

I hate Melo. Him and boogie are my two most disliked players. Hurts me to watch them play.

Didn't Harden's beard post PG was making 7.5? Melo is at 8 & CP at 8.5? If he gets a similar bump they did when moving to LA he’s at double digits and above them. So what are you talking about forreal?

What? I got confused with the first part

What? I got confused with the first part

Paul George is making 7.5 million in endorsements now.

Melo is making 8 mil.

CP is making 8.5 mil.

How is he not on their level?

And why do you believe he won't see a bump in moving to a bigger market if you already acknowledged he's a better player than Melo?

Last edited:
Ok. I think I know what you were saying. Again, my whole point that pg at this point of his career vs those two was nowhere near their level. So to assume it will double doesn't apply to PG because, well, Pg isn't as marketable as those guys in their 6 the year (assuming pg is in his 6th year). All I'm saying is PG isn't a star like those guys were at this point in their careers, so you won't see that type of jump.

Those things level the playing field to a certain extent, but the potentialities to one's brand I think are still greater in LA or NY or some place rather than Indiana. Even if those potentialities have shrunk a bit due to social media, nat'l tv, there's still an advantage there, even if it's a slight one.

To me, being a star in Indiana is not the same as being a star in LA. Chris Paul from a success standpoint didn't achieve much more in LA than he did in NO but his brand definitely grew.

It's hard to quantify because not everyone reaches their marketing and earning potential, but if all things were being equal, the ceiling for earning and brand potential is higher in NYC or LA than Indiana.

Chris Paul is a great example. I think an even better one would be Carmelo in Denver vs Melo in NYC. He had far more success court wise in Denver, but he's without a doubt a bigger

Yup.

Hell look at Nick Young. Nobdy knew who he was with the Wizards, he goes to LA and built some alter ego. :lol:

Last edited:
^PG also plays in Indiana.  No question that's hurt his earning potential.

He also hasn't protected his brand very well though.  He was on his way to golden boy status when the stripper stuff came out.  

Last edited:
Ok. I think I know what you were saying. Again, my whole point that pg at this point of his career vs those two was nowhere near their level. So to assume it will double doesn't apply to PG because, well, Pg isn't as marketable as those guys in their 6 the year (assuming pg is in his 6th year). All I'm saying is PG isn't a star like those guys were at this point in their careers, so you won't see that type of jump.

But he's making more now off court than they were at those points in their respective careers. And i already posted the accolades which were similar as well. They all are/were stars. Why would he not get a bump?

Last edited:
But he's making more now off court than they were at those points in their respective careers. And i already posted the accolades which were similar as well. They all are/were stars. Why would he not get a bump?

you really going to compare what those guys made 5 years ago? 5 years ago is like 20 years ago when it comes to endorsement potential. Completely different game.

The people in his sneaker thread will have you believe he's a superstar and household name but they don't even know what those terms mean.

^PG also plays in Indiana.  No question that's hurt his earning potential.

He also hasn't protected his brand very well though.  He was on his way to golden boy status when the stripper stuff came out.  

i just don't see PG like some do i guess. He's just a good player to me, not a franchise player. If he's your best player, you aint doing ****. But as your 2nd guy, maybe 3rd, pretty solid.

I think both would, but Luc is a bit more versatile of a defender and a better shooter.

I feel like his price is going to be a bit too high for GSW, but he'd be perfect. Can make open 3's, great cutter, exceptional defender.

I don't know about Luc being a more versatile defender than James Johnson.

Johnson guards 2-5 and he physical. He'd be perfect to make Bron work in the finals. Don't think Luc would bother Bron all that much.

The people in his sneaker thread will have you believe he's a superstar and household name but they don't even know what those terms mean.

that word gets thrown around so loosely man. There's literally 5 superstars, and everyone else is far from that.

But he nice tho. so he a star.

you really going to compare what those guys made 5 years ago? 5 years ago is like 20 years ago when it comes to endorsement potential. Completely different game.

I feel like you're being intentionally obtuse to the discussion so I'll just drop it. Particularly since you just keep saying he's not a star like they were with no explanation.

i didn't watch much of James Johnson at all this year and had to look up his numbers. Wow. Picked a good time to ball.

All this time, i thought JJ was JJ Redick.

I think both would, but Luc is a bit more versatile of a defender and a better shooter.

I feel like his price is going to be a bit too high for GSW, but he'd be perfect. Can make open 3's, great cutter, exceptional defender.

I don't know about Luc being a more versatile defender than James Johnson.

Johnson guards 2-5 and he physical. He'd be perfect to make Bron work in the finals. Don't think Luc would bother Bron all that much.

And neck tat can play both sides of the PNR. Lebron could and would rest on luc

i just don't see PG like some do i guess. He's just a good player to me, not a franchise player. If he's your best player, you aint doing ****. But as your 2nd guy, maybe 3rd, pretty solid.

But you see Chris Paul and Melo as number 1 guys. Yet Paul George has been to more conference finals than both combined. Interesting.

I feel like you're being intentionally obtuse to the discussion so I'll just drop it. Particularly since you just keep saying he's not a star like they were with no explanation.

Yes, lets drop it. You're infatuated with him because he's giving your squad some love, so its not debatable. And yes, he;s not a star. You really think he is? Serious question. There are 15+ stars in the league? Whats the criteria? All star games, dropping 23 and 7 in his best year? Whats a star to you?

To me, these are the stars: LBJ, Durant, Steph, Harden, Russ, Kawhi,

then there;s the next level, and then the 3rd level, where PG13 is.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom