Official 2017 NBA Offseason Thread: Media Days begin

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just noticed Rockets traded Lou too. Trade ain't as good as I thought it was. Stephen A is saying Houston might get Melo if the Knicks buy him out. If the Rockets start next season with the roster they have I don't know if they're much better than last year.

He's paying 13.3% state taxes in California versus 0 in Texas.

Couple that with New Orleans being a tourist city opposed to a corporate hub and he can probably bring home more money in Houston than LA. See Dwight

Which speaks to the overall point that being in LA is irrelevant financially.

You will lead Sportscenter more but as far as actually money. Nah

The hell are you talking about man?

The taxes a NBA player pays in California negates any increased endorsement opportunities vs playing in a smaller market.

Chris Paul is proof of that.

I wouldn't say all of that. There's a reason he forced his way to Houston instead of outright signing here.

The taxes a NBA player pays in California negates any increased endorsement opportunities vs playing in a smaller market.

Chris Paul is proof of that.

So you're saying Chris Paul made more in New Orleans than he did LA? Cause nobody said anything about Houston.

This topic was players ie Paul George "shining" brighter in LA or NEW York. Your proof of this was posting the endorsements of Chris Paul and Carmelo Anthony.

Once you take into account taxes playing in LA does not mean you are guaranteed to make more money.

Once you take into account local and state taxes Carmelo may have actually lost money going to the Knicks vs staying in Denver.

Last edited:
Based on WHAT?! What had they accomplished at that point of their careers that put them on another level than PG is now?

You're advocating PG moving to LA for more exposure but can't figure out the difference between a superstar and a star? Lol ok

You're advocating PG moving to LA for more exposure but can't figure out the difference between a superstar and a star? Lol ok

I made the distinction already. Melo has never been a superstar. And at similar junctures in their careers they were more than comparable.

This topic was players ie Paul George "shining" brighter in LA or NEW York. Your proof of this was posting the endorsements of Chris Paul and Carmelo Anthony.

Once you take into account taxes playing in LA does not mean you are guaranteed to make more money.

Once you take into account local and state taxes Carmelo may have actually lost money going to the Knicks vs staying in Denver.

This would make sense if CP and Melo both came as free agents, but they forced trades to retain their money. I'm almost 100% sure you're wrong.

Last edited:
I made the distinction already. Melo has never been a superstar.

This is simply not true. Being a SUPERSTAR is far more about your popularity than your numbers. Whether or not you like him, Melo was absolutely a superstar. The entire reason he's seen as a loser is because he's constantly compared to LeBron.

This is simply not true. Being a SUPERSTAR is far more about your popularity than your numbers. Whether or not you like him, Melo was absolutely a superstar. The entire reason he's seen as a loser is because he's constantly compared to LeBron.

Nah superstar is absolutely more about on court performance and being a #1 option and franchise piece. Melo is none of that sorry.

Melo is the 3rd biggest superstar from his draft class (arguably the best class ever) behind LeBron and Wade. To say he never became a superstar is absurd. He became a superstar when he made the WCF with Denver.

Last edited:
Melo is the 3rd biggest superstar from his draft class (arguably the best class ever) behind LeBron and Wade. To say he never became a superstar is absurd. He became a superstar when he made the WCF with Denver.

Start all over

Nah superstar is absolutely more about on court performance and being a #1 option and franchise piece. Melo is none of that sorry.

LMAO you can't be serious. You really saying that Melo was never a #1 option nor a franchise piece?

I made the distinction already. Melo has never been a superstar.

This would make sense if CP and Melo both came as free agents, but they forced trades to retain their money. I'm almost 100% sure you're wrong.

Man what?

Carmelo was getting the same contract in Denver or New York.

He made an extra 2 million in endorsements going to New York than he was getting in Denver based on what you typed.

Depending on where Melo lives the tax increase from leaving Denver and playing in New York can easily be more than 2 Ms

Last edited:
No. It is not. DeMarcus is not a superstar. In order to be a SUPERSTAR you have to be extremely popular. Melo is the third of what is maybe the best draft class ever. Has been linked to LeBron before either could vote. He's the focal point of like every team trying to take the throne from GSW or Cleveland. You make no sense. And since you want to talk about on court performance, PG has a grand total of 0 seasons better than what Melo AVERAGES for his career. Stop it

Yea MVP MVP is straight up spewing nonsense again. I'm not really a Melo fan, but to think he's not or wasnt a superstar at one point is absurd.

Being a superstar is much more than what you do on the court.

Last edited:
Man what?

Carmelo was getting the same contract in Denver or New York.

He made an extra 2 million in endorsements going to New York than he was getting in Denver based on what you typed.

Depending on where Melo lives the tax increase from lea

That's not true. He got that 5th year guarantee from New York which is why he opted to get traded there instead of waiting for free agency.

And I don't know if you do math but for example using your 13% in Chris Paul's case. 13% of 6 million is still 5.2 million a year which is greater than the 4 he was making in New Orleans annually.

So Denver wouldn't have given Melo that deal if he stayed?

Bottomline my entire point in all of this is off the court endorsements aren't guaranteed to increase enough playing in LA or New York to offset the increased tax rates living there

So bringing that up as to why a player would want to play there over a smaller market is stupid.

There is a reason why Miami and Houston always get meetings and have actually got free agents to sign there even when directly competing with LA or NY teams.

Last edited:
I would not understand a move to the Heat for Hayward at all if he's thinking basketball-wise. They'd pretty much be what the Raptors have been to the East over the last few years at best. They'd probably make it to the second round of the playoffs a couple years in a row and that's it. No offense to them, id like the guys on the team, but I'm just being logical here.

Yea MVP MVP is straight up spewing nonsense again. I'm not really a Melo fan, but to think he's not or wasnt a superstar at one point is absurd.

Being a superstar is much more than what you do on the court.

Pains me to even say he was a star, but he was, even if I didn't agree with it. My hatred for him clouded my opinion but deep down, I knew he was.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom