OFFICIAL 2018 COLLEGE FOOTBALL OFFSEASON THREAD

Who is going to win the Big Ten this season?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
gKqNY.gif

Honestly, I think it will be decent for a quarter or so. Then Bama's gonna Bama. There's going to be a time when this changes, but a former Saban assistant has yet to beat him. Can't be throwing 7 times in a game and think you're gonna get away with it against the Tide. What KS has done at UGA in such a short time is nothing short of impressive For all we know, UGA could be the SECs version of Michigan w/ Harbaugh. JH got off to a hot start and many were expecting a natty shortly thereafter, yet a few season later, he's yet to get over the hump. Only time will tell though.

Pretty sure UGA will have a different game plan for Bama than Florida more balanced ...If you can’t stop the run the hell would I throw it ? So the 7 Times was warranted.

JH don’t have the recruits Kirby got and Michigan sure as hell ain’t Georgia period in terms of talent hence why JH was setting up them ******** satellite camps in Atlanta.

It should be easier, but no one can predict the future, which is why I said time will tell. They still have to get past Alabama, who doesn't look like they're slowing down anytime soon. Things happen. FSU has won 2 games. Whether you like them or not, if someone said they'd be 2-5 this time last year, everyone would laugh at them. We've seen programs get off to a fast start with a new coach only to see a great season once and the next thing you know, they're fired for not meeting expectations. Do I think it will happen to, Kirby? No, but again, s**t happens. Mark Richt was 8-4 his first season (Kirby 8-5), then 13-1 in his second season, which by all accounts looks like Kirby is tracking for, especially since most don't expect them to beat Alabama. I'm sure similar the optimism was felt around Athens in '02. 15 years later, nothing further than SEC Championship Game/NY Days Bowl appearances, but no NC. If UF gets the right coach in Hogtown, the tables can quickly turn in the favor of the Gators. And UGA could have a Mark Richt replay, especially if Nick Saban is around for a while.

Mark richt didn’t succeed because the AD were cheap pricks..dude couldn’t even hire the type of staff Kirby got period. Kirby wasn’t coming to Georgia period if they didn’t buss open the bag and let him get what he needed. You think Alabama is just saban and X and Os ? Hell sabans assistants have assistants.

One of the main reasons why richt had the talent and the talent underperformed every time in big games. Richt was going to keep getting 10 wins an underachieving as long as the AD were being cheap *** holes

Mark richt didn’t succeed because the AD were cheap pricks..dude couldn’t even hire the type of staff Kirby got period. Kirby wasn’t coming to Georgia period if they didn’t buss open the bag and let him get what he needed. You think Alabama is just saban and X and Os ? Hell sabans assistants have assistants.

One of the main reasons why richt had the talent and the talent underperformed every time in big games. Richt was going to keep getting 10 wins an underachieving as long as the AD were being cheap *** holes

Agreed 100% ask Mark Helfrich what happens when you hire a worthless defensive coordinator

I gather that so far, most have been alluding to the actual game play. I can understand that. What I don't is the constant badgering of head coaches and the incessant talk about high school recruits, which is why I brought it up. Still haven't heard a legitimate reason why it's better than the NFL though...All subjective, really.

Quality of play is still hands down the NFL despite its quality going down. If you tell me that's not true then I need an argument because I watch just as much CFB and the rules, lack of quality officiating on top of mediocre play is no different than arguments against the NFL, though the quality of play in the NFL is obviously far superior.

I really don't start caring about crooting until January at the earliest but the HC thing is because CFB is a coaches game because of the high turnover rosters see every season. The narratives are built primarily around the coaches, unlike the NFL which builds it around QB's primarily.

I was always a spotty poster in that thread, though. Half of the time dudes are trolling or pushing the same narratives in there. Bengals aside, I've lost interest in the league over the last few years. How many teams are a must watch when they're on at this point? Being in a college town for the last 3 years probably contributed to me losing some interest too, but there's so much mediocrity and lack of innovation offensively across the board. Most of the games are not that entertaining.

The NFL thread is basically TAN with some football talk, it's trash.

I don't think the discussions we have in here are all that different than what you see on most CFB related boards, and I'd like to think we have them with more nuance since most of us loathe large parts of our own fan bases :lol:

It doesn't come up a lot but we definitely do some more actual X&O talk in this thread too.

Recruiting is the lifeblood of a program and in this day and age it is a year round deal. So not surprised that it comes up often.

It is worse on other boards. Much worse. They have specific threads and forums dedicated to recruiting and even specific recruits.

Sucks that youtube took down some of the 1hr condensed game accounts

651akathepaul 651akathepaul do you guys have a good QB on the roster behind Browning? I’m trying to figure out if Washington will be better or worse when he’s gone. (I’m asduming worse since CCP will be without Sark’s recruits in two seasons and then the real rating of his tenure there will begin.)

Same deal going on at USC right now... hell since Kiffin.

651akathepaul 651akathepaul do you guys have a good QB on the roster behind Browning? I’m trying to figure out if Washington will be better or worse when he’s gone. (I’m asduming worse since CCP will be without Sark’s recruits in two seasons and then the real rating of his tenure there will begin.)

CP's 2010 Boise team was good enough to win a NC. Star ratings or not the dude can evaluate, which is all that matters. They'll be fine.

CP's 2010 Boise team was good enough to win a NC. Star ratings or not the dude can evaluate, which is all that matters. They'll be fine.

(I’m assuming you mean the 2009-2010 team) Yes, I agree, but they also played a trash schedule that year keeping them from getting beat up the way they have over the course of a Pac season. They played 2 maybe 3 good teams all year. I’m curious if he can navigate a schedule where you have to play an SC, Stan, Utah, UCLA, Wazzu etc every year.

I don’t think Petersen is a bad recruiter. I’m just curious if his level of recruiting is good enough to maintain in the Pac. So far it seems like he’s done a lot with Sarkisian’s kids.

(I’m assuming you mean the 2009-2010 team) Yes, I agree, but they also played a trash schedule that year keeping them from getting beat up the way they have over the course of a Pac season. They played 2 maybe 3 good teams all year. I’m curious if he can navigate a schedule where you have to play an SC, Stan, Utah, UCLA, Wazzu etc every year.

I don’t think Petersen is a bad recruiter. I’m just curious if his level of recruiting is good enough to maintain in the Pac. So far it seems like he’s done a lot with Sarkisian’s kids.

I don't see why he couldn't, he's averaged a top 30 class since 2015.

There was a legitimate argument those years whether those teams had the depth to survive the grind of a BCS schedule but he's not recruiting at Boise levels for UW for that even to be a concern.

No, 2010. 2009 had a better record but 2010 was the better team. Auburn was basically just Cam, Dyer, and Nick Fairley that year. Boise definitley could have beaten them or Oregon.

That Boise team had more future NFL draft picks than both AU and Oregon IIRC.

I gather that so far, most have been alluding to the actual game play. I can understand that. What I don't is the constant badgering of head coaches and the incessant talk about high school recruits, which is why I brought it up. Still haven't heard a legitimate reason why it's better than the NFL though...All subjective, really.

Quality of play is still hands down the NFL despite its quality going down. If you tell me that's not true then I need an argument because I watch just as much CFB and the rules, lack of quality officiating on top of mediocre play is no different than arguments against the NFL, though the quality of play in the NFL is obviously far superior.

Why wouldn't the quality of play in the NFL be superior? You're comparing pros to amateurs, I'd hope it's superior lol

As for the discussions, what else are people supposed to discuss between games? Recruiting and coaching are two huge aspects of college football

I don't see why he couldn't, he's averaged a top 30 class since 2015.

There was a legitimate argument those years whether those teams had the depth to survive the grind of a BCS schedule but he's not recruiting at Boise levels for UW for that even to be a concern.

No, 2010. 2009 had a better record but 2010 was the better team. Auburn was basically just Cam, Dyer, and Nick Fairley that year. Boise definitley could have beaten them or Oregon.

That Boise team had more future NFL draft picks than both AU and Oregon IIRC.

But if I remember right, that Boise team lost to a Nevada team that had no one but Kaepernick (I might be off on the year.) Why wouldn’t Cam do the same?

Nobody on the roster right now unless there's a surprise. Maybe with the incoming class, but I don't follow recruiting much so I'm not sure how great the class would be.

So, basically, they're still looking.

But if I remember right, that Boise team lost to a Nevada team that had no one but Kaepernick (I might be off on the year.) Why wouldn’t Cam do the same?

That Nevada team was 13-1 and top 40 in S&P+. I still think AU would have ultimately won that year with a playoff format, but Boise was a NC caliber team and certainly could have won it had they been given the chance. Boise finished as the #1 team in S&P+ that season.

Back
Top Bottom