OFFICIAL 2018 COLLEGE FOOTBALL OFFSEASON THREAD

Who is going to win the Big Ten this season?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
t4UH-q3z

Sucks dude came back just to end up being banged up all year. Was looking forward to watching him play this season.

Nobody on the roster right now unless there's a surprise. Maybe with the incoming class, but I don't follow recruiting much so I'm not sure how great the class would be.

So, basically, they're still looking.

Both kids coming in next year have a better arm than Browning thats for sure

The real area of concern is DT rather than QB imo

As a UGA fan, the one dude I'm scared that Florida might get is Willie Taggart. Florida's issues under McElwain have been about recruiting. He just hasn't been able to get the top talent from the state to go to UF and that bore out this past weekend in Jacksonville, Georgia just had better players. Miami and FSU have been kicking UF's butt under McElwain, he doesn't have tied to to the state of Florida and doesn't know how to recruit the South Florida region. Taggart is a good Xs and Os guy and a MONSTER recruiter. He currently has a top 5 recruiting class at Oregon, something they rarely did even during Chip Kelly's heyday. Look at how many Florida guys he has at Oregon! You put a good coach with Florida (specifically South Florida) ties in place and I see UF being back to prominence soon. That being said I hope they go after Dan Mullen or something. :lol::lol::lol:

All this Jon Gruden is Tennessee talk is hilarious to me. He could have had any pro or college coaching vacancy over the last decade: Michigan, Florida, USC, numerous NFL teams and you're telling me that he turns down dozens of better opportunities to go to Tennessee? I've been telling people for years that Tennessee is the Nebraska of the SEC. They haven't been relevant in a decade and haven't won the SEC in 20 years but still think they deserve to win National Titles. They're that school that's gonna fire every coach who doesn't win 10 games because still think these are the Phil Fulmer years. Peyton Manning and Jamal Lewis aren't walking through that door!

As a UGA fan, the one dude I'm scared that Florida might get is Willie Taggart. Florida's issues under McElwain have been about recruiting. He just hasn't been able to get the top talent from the state to go to UF and that bore out this past weekend in Jacksonville, Georgia just had better players. Miami and FSU have been kicking UF's butt under McElwain, he doesn't have tied to to the state of Florida and doesn't know how to recruit the South Florida region. Taggart is a good Xs and Os guy and a MONSTER recruiter. He currently has a top 5 recruiting class at Oregon, something they rarely did even during Chip Kelly's heyday. Look at how many Florida guys he has at Oregon! You put a good coach with Florida (specifically South Florida) ties in place and I see UF being back to prominence soon. That being said I hope they go after Dan Mullen or something. :lol::lol::lol:

Taggart would be unbelievable at Florida. If i'm the florida administration he's my #1 candidate by a landslide

Some actual football talk for @651akathepaul

Taken from another forum: How do teams do after playing USC?:

How have teams done before and after they've played USC this year?
Western Michigan (5-3) - L 28-14 to Michigan State
Stanford (6-2) - L 20-17 to SDSU - Had a bye before USC.
Texas(4-4) - W 17-7 over Iowa State (Good W now, but they had a bye after playing USC) - Played SJSU before USC and W.
Cal (4-5) - L 45-24 to Oregon - Played Ole Miss before USC and W
Wazzu (7-2) - W 33-10 at Oregon - Played Nevada before USC and W
Oregon State(1-7) - L 36-33 vs CU - Played UW before USC and L
Utah (4-4) - L 30-10 vs ASU - Played Stanford before USC and L
ND (7-1) - W 35-14 vs NS State - Bye before USC
ASU (4-4) - vs CU - Played Utah before USC and W

Quick Notes:
- Only ND, Wazzu and Texas pulled off W's after playing us. We beat none of those teams in regulation.
- Only Cal and Oregon St. have losing records. Take away the USC game and only the Beavers are below .500
- Taking away the USC game the teams are a combined 40-23, so a not too shabby 63% winning percentage.
- Notre Dame and Stanford both had byes before the game.
- Utah, Cal, Oregon State, Wazzu, and Texas all had home games before playing USC.
- Arizona and UCLA both play at home before traveling to the Coli to take on 'SC.
- ASU and Colorado are the only teams that travel before playing USC. Our game is at CU. ASU was at home as well.

Body blow/beat up theory? Adrenaline dump/letdown after playing their big game of the year?

Taggart would be unbelievable at Florida. If i'm the florida administration he's my #1 candidate by a landslide

If you're Willie... is UF a better gig than UO?

I think in a vacuum it's a better job, but I'm talking about for a young black coach with no "real" championship history to earn him rope at a historically impatient program. It would definitely be an easier gig if not for ... Bama.

By the way, everything I've been reading and hearing is that it's Scott Frost first and foremost, not Willie. As in, more people at UF want Frost. I haven't seen anything indicating how Frost feels about UF.

Last edited:
If you're Willie... is UF a better gig than UO?

I think in a vacuum it's a better job, but I'm talking about for a young black coach with no "real" championship history to earn him rope at a historically impatient program.

It would definitely be an easier gig if not for ... Bama.

Depends. He's from Florida and apparently his parents are still in South Florida. He'd have all the resources he needs to win big quickly (facilities, money, recruiting base he's familiar with).

Florida has shown their stands though. 3 out of the last 4 Florida coaches have been fired (Zook, Muschamp and McElwain). You can't just win at Florida you have to win and play a certain style of football, even winning your division isn't enough for them. There were always rumblings that McElwain didn't "fit in" at Florida. He wasn't good at schmoozing with boosters, talking at Alumni luncheons, etc. (all the things outside of football that the HC at a top program has to do) and he didn't have ties to the region. At some schools all you need to do is win a certain number of games and people will love you. UF isn't one of those places; you have to be able to "play the game" as they say. It all depends on his personality.

Depends. He's from Florida and apparently his parents are still in South Florida. He'd have all the resources he needs to win big quickly (facilities, money, recruiting base he's familiar with).

Florida has shown their stands though. 3 out of the last 4 Florida coaches have been fired (Zook, Muschamp and McElwain). You can't just win at Florida you have to win and play a certain style of football, even winning your division isn't enough for them. There were always rumblings that McElwain didn't "fit in" at Florida. He wasn't good at schmoozing with boosters, talking at Alumni luncheons, etc. (all the things outside of football that the HC at a top program has to do) and he didn't have ties to the region. At some schools all you need to do is win a certain number of games and people will love you. UF isn't one of those places; you have to be able to "play the game" as they say. It all depends on his personality.

Mac never really won. He was the product of a weak division and UF got washed almost every time they played someone with a pulse. It's not surprising either that he was having his worst year there the year most of Muschamp's recruits on D were finally gone.

Not that it really matters, but I'm just trying to understand their logic. Auburn comes in at #14 and Iowa State at #15. Both teams are 6-2. Auburn's best win is over #16 Miss St while Iowa State's best wins are #5 Oklahoma and #8 TCU. The only line of reasoning I can come up with that Auburn is ranked ahead of us is because their losses are better than ours :lol:

Alabama would beat Georgia tomorrow if they played and everybody knows that this ranking is trash

It’s not trash tho...the ranking is based on resume ..who had Alabama beat ? No one they have beat is in the top 10 period. Georgia beat ND on the road ...ND only loss was Georgia, since then they’ve been rolling and now ranked at 4 so yeah..it don’t take a genius to see why the ranking is what it is

The committee makes up **** as they go but the rankings are based on “four best” and not the four best resumes.

Mark richt didn’t succeed because the AD were cheap pricks..dude couldn’t even hire the type of staff Kirby got period. Kirby wasn’t coming to Georgia period if they didn’t buss open the bag and let him get what he needed. You think Alabama is just saban and X and Os ? Hell sabans assistants have assistants.

One of the main reasons why richt had the talent and the talent underperformed every time in big games. Richt was going to keep getting 10 wins an underachieving as long as the AD were being cheap *** holes

Alabama is in a different league in their spending and "cheap" is relative. The SEC outspends most, if not all conferences (hell half of the list below is SEC. About a 3rd of their conference is in the top 10 for assistants pay and half of the top 10 facilities are SEC) . If it was strictly money, no other team outside of Alabama would win anything. UGA had no issues dropping $1.3M on Jeremy Pruitt in '14. Mind you, the list below is from '15, Richt's last year, but solely based off that list of highest paid assistants, UGA was spending plenty. But as i stated, I think Kirby will do really well and he's tracking, but just because you come flying out of the gate doesn't guarantee anything. All that said, of course money matters, as do recruits, but it's not like Richt was eating the Top Ramen of resources. You could find something to support the contrary, especially since I only did a quick 2 minute Google search, but they seem to to have been doing fine dumping money into the facilities and the coaching staff.

2015 highest paid assitant coaching staffs: https://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/sec-football/six-sec-staffs-among-10-highest-paid-nation/

1. LSU, $5,471,236
  2. Auburn, $5,341,900
  3. Alabama, $5,227,090
  4. Georgia, $4,807,200
  5. Texas A&M, $4,419,360
  6. Clemson, $4,329,606
  7. Florida State, $4,284,800
  8. Michigan, $4,248,667
  9. Ohio State, $4,021,950
  10. South Carolina, $3,995,600
2015 Top 25 facilities: https://247sports.com/Gallery/Photo...e-football-2015-42015109/GallerySlides/217303

1. Oregon
2. TAMU
3. Alabama
4. Tennessee
5. ND
6. tOSU
7. LSU
8. USC
9. UGA
10. Oklahoma

Last edited:
Back