OFFICIAL 2018 COLLEGE FOOTBALL OFFSEASON THREAD

Who is going to win the Big Ten this season?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
It’s okay, your coach is about to ditch yo *** for Florida. Back to the basement for Oregon. 70’s esque

UGA didn't have an indoor practice facility (a real one at least) until this year. Kirby got them to commit to more **** than Richt did, prob b/c Kirby told them if they didn't promise things he wasn't coming

Lane, asking for a friend. My buddy wants to make an exit in the in middle of the night to get hired by a new team, what should he do?

Rest of the PAC better hope Willie leaves, because they won't be able to compete with these southern kids him and Mario Cristobal are recruiting

UGA didn't have an indoor practice facility (a real one at least) until this year. Kirby got them to commit to more **** than Richt did, prob b/c Kirby told them if they didn't promise things he wasn't coming

Understandable, but again, UGA was still putting some money into their program based off those list. The whole football arms race and indoor practice facility is more of the last 5-8 years or so it seems. UF just got theirs in '15 I think, FSU '13, etc. I believe Kirby had certain stipulations (like hiring/firing and something regarding adding years to the contract if AU was put on probation or something) to take the Auburn job the year Gus was hired. From what I recall, Auburn scoffed at what KS wanted and they went with Malzhan (y'all UGA/Alabama fans would would be a lot more than me, since I'm going off memory).

On a different note:

Sign the petition to have Ron Zook to be hired as UF's HC again :D

And UF is a better job. That said, if Willie won a NC at Oregon ... he'd probably be a God.

Last edited:
giphy.gif

fahqu001 fahqu001 just posted the exact reason TAMU fans want Sumlin gone. We've given that guy top 3-5 resources to capitalize on the Manziel era and he's squandered it away. He had every chance to bury Texas on the recruiting landscape a few years ago, but decided to focus his extra time going out to the west coast for extra long shot recruits as a vacation (did it again during the bye week this year instead of focusing on in-state talent and preparing for Miss State). We gave him brand new facilities and basically unlimited money to spend on assistants and he's been too proud to build a scouting staff like Bama has. With top 3-5 resources like that, he can't even give the school top 25 teams.

Even though we know we'll probably rarely compete for a title, we can get a very similar result on the field for half the investment. Just takes hitting on a guy like Campbell or Frost at half the money for it to work.

Our Board needs to not get raked over the coals on a contract like Sumlin's again, but a lot of those guys are already gone.

fahqu001 fahqu001 just posted the exact reason TAMU fans want Sumlin gone. We've given that guy top 3-5 resources to capitalize on the Manziel era and he's squandered it away. He had every chance to bury Texas on the recruiting landscape a few years ago, but decided to focus his extra time going out to the west coast for extra long shot recruits as a vacation (did it again during the bye week this year instead of focusing on in-state talent and preparing for Miss State). We gave him brand new facilities and basically unlimited money to spend on assistants and he's been too proud to build a scouting staff like Bama has. With top 3-5 resources like that, he can't even give the school top 25 teams.

Even though we know we'll probably rarely compete for a title, we can get a very similar result on the field for half the investment. Just takes hitting on a guy like Campbell or Frost at half the money for it to work.

Our Board needs to not get raked over the coals on a contract like Sumlin's again, but a lot of those guys are already gone.

Yeah, I know what it's like in Texas and their expectations. Lived in Houston for 9 years and consider it home now and plan on moving back after I leave San Diego. Anyway, to your point, TAMU has dumped serious money into their program and UT was looking like a dumpster fire for years despite being considered probably the most powerful CFB program in the nation in terms of worth/value. At the end of the day, just looking at the small sample while Richt was there, it seemed on par with a lot of the powerhouses. Plus, they had consistent Top 10 classes throughout his tenure.

Of course there's almost always more that what the numbers show, but IMO, as much as I like Mark Richt, and as am happy as I am for him at Miami, he underachieved at UGA in spite of the few near misses. (like the year he pushed Alabama deep into the 4th quarter of the SEC CG. Or the year they were left out of the BCS NCG in favor of LSU. '07ish?, can't remember). Maybe Kirby Smart wins a NC. Or, maybe he's just another HC that started off hot and never won the big one. Again, only time will tell. The reality is there are only 4 HCs in CFB with a NC to their name. Saban, Meyer, Fisher, and Dabo (hopefully I'm not missing anyone?). The rest have retired or been axed. Add to the fact that you're having to go through Alabama every year, well ... good luck. Add a home run hire at UF. Well, now it's really hard. Regardless, what KS has put together, and as quickly as he's done it, has been nothing short of amazing. Plus, they're crushing it on the recruiting trail. Things are certainly on the up and up in Athens and they do look pretty damn good this season. At the end of the day, dumping infinite amounts of money into your program certainly helps, but it won't necessarily bring you a championship. Only 1 can win it all each season ...

Week 1 of the College Football Rankings

1. UGA :smokin:smokin:smokin
2. Bama
3. Notre Dame
4. Clemson

It’s not trash tho...the ranking is based on resume ..who had Alabama beat ? No one they have beat is in the top 10 period. Georgia beat ND on the road ...ND only loss was Georgia, since then they’ve been rolling and now ranked at 4 so yeah..it don’t take a genius to see why the ranking is what it is
The disrespect in these post.

Georgia has been having an easy path to the SEC Championship over the past years avoiding LSU and Bama. Florida and Auburn was the bulldogs only real threat going into the season.

Alabama is in a different league in their spending and "cheap" is relative. The SEC outspends most, if not all conferences (hell half of the list below is SEC. About a 3rd of their conference is in the top 10 for assistants pay and half of the top 10 facilities are SEC) . If it was strictly money, no other team outside of Alabama would win anything. UGA had no issues dropping $1.3M on Jeremy Pruitt in '14. Mind you, the list below is from '15, Richt's last year, but solely based off that list of highest paid assistants, UGA was spending plenty. But as i stated, I think Kirby will do really well and he's tracking, but just because you come flying out of the gate doesn't guarantee anything. All that said, of course money matters, as do recruits, but it's not like Richt was eating the Top Ramen of resources. You could find something to support the contrary, especially since I only did a quick 2 minute Google search, but they seem to to have been doing fine dumping money into the facilities and the coaching staff.

2015 highest paid assitant coaching staffs: https://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/sec-football/six-sec-staffs-among-10-highest-paid-nation/

1. LSU, $5,471,236
  2. Auburn, $5,341,900
  3. Alabama, $5,227,090
  4. Georgia, $4,807,200
  5. Texas A&M, $4,419,360
  6. Clemson, $4,329,606
  7. Florida State, $4,284,800
  8. Michigan, $4,248,667
  9. Ohio State, $4,021,950
  10. South Carolina, $3,995,600
2015 Top 25 facilities: https://247sports.com/Gallery/Photo...e-football-2015-42015109/GallerySlides/217303

1. Oregon
2. TAMU
3. Alabama
4. Tennessee
5. ND
6. tOSU
7. LSU
8. USC
9. UGA
10. Oklahoma

Bro UGA didn’t even have an indoor practice facility...richt had to fight just to get Pruitt that pay ...Pruitt got here and saw UGA wasn’t going to put **** into what they needed ...that was well known. UGA didn’t even have a legit strength & conditioning program. So yeah they were def being cheap.

The disrespect in these post.

Georgia has been having an easy path to the SEC Championship over the past years avoiding LSU and Bama. Florida and Auburn was the bulldogs only real threat going into the season.

LSU is ******* trash been trash ...last time they played uga they lost. There is no one in the ******* West aside from Alabama NO ONE cut it out.

LSU is ****ing trash been trash ...last time they played uga they lost. There is no one in the ****ing West aside from Alabama NO ONE cut it out.
UGA was 8-5 last season in that weak East.

Fall back y'all don't even have a seat at the table yet.

That season you're talking about in 2013:
LSU 10-3
UGA another 8-5
:stoneface:

Back
Top Bottom