OFFICIAL 2019 COLLEGE FOOTBALL OFFSEASON THREAD

A&M opens +27... Good lord. :lol:

Jimbo about to have the offense running slowier than molasses to keep the Bama offense off the field. Every play will probably have less than 3 seconds left on the play clock lol.

They should be, their game against Clemson was one of the more impressive performances of the season.

They might end up getting washed next week, but that will say more about Bama then it will about them IMO. Bama just might be that good this season.

So rewarding teams for a loss? Not saying they didn’t look good but I don’t see how losing close to Clemson and beating two trash teams would warrant being ranked

I mean app state looked good against penn state in week one as well

Last edited:
So rewarding teams for a loss? Not saying they didn’t look good but I don’t see how losing close to Clemson and beating two trash teams would warrant being ranked

I guess it would depend how good you think clemson is and how good you expect TAMU to be. We all know they don’t vote based on just what they see on the field but there’s also a lot of confirmation bias.

Rewarding a team for a good performance, and yes in some cases a quality L > a trash win.

PSU isn't nearly as talented as Clemson, but I wouldn't have a problem with ranking App St either. 26th in S&P+ right now, and that's a program that has given hell to P5's under Satterfield (UNC should hire this dude ASAP).

Who else are you gonna put in there though? The drop off in points from 21 to 22 is pretty huge...I guess there are about 4 or 5 teams you could slide in to the 22-25 spots, but that seems like something extremely silly to be so concerned about after week 3.

If we're not good enough to be in the top 25, at the end of the season a big win over a 6-6 TAMU team isn't going to do anything to help Alabama get into the playoffs just because we were ranked 22 when they kicked our ***.

Message board banter but first I’ve heard on Bosa. Hope he’s back soon, dude was having a killer season and will be a top 5 pick for sure

“Don't have a ton of details other than it sounds like ESPN's report of a 'lower abdomen strain' is accurate. It appears to be an injury that impacts where the abdomen and groin tissue connect (or something like that. I'm no doctor so just relaying).

I am becoming more of the belief he won't be back for a few weeks at minimum. IF it's something that could linger, they could elect to shut it down for the year. That said, I believe that's only a last resort (but on the table nonetheless)

Would seem very possible Ohio State will have to move forward without Bosa for at least the first portion of the Big Ten slate.”

Last edited:
they should be WAYYYYYY better than what they have shown. Its silly. Always felt UCLA was a diamond in the rough. And yet, with USC's struggles, they haven't even sniffed at capitalizing on USC's struggles. Its bizarre, to me
Don’t think UCLA cares about football as much as they should if they wanna be national contenders ...they are a legacy basketball school

IMG_6524.JPG

An Athlon sports CFB writer posted what could be a suicide note and vid on twitter. People are scrambling trying to locate him.

On a less depressing side note, a lot of really interesting behind the scenes stuff about USC and the power struggle between the Board of Trustees/admins/and athletics department coming out on the boards.

The gist from the reliable posters/editors is there’s a civil war among the powerful alums between those who see the Athletics dept as a toy and a way to entertain their country club friends and have no interest in fully funding and supporting the football program and those who want to put more money into it. Besides just the Petersen debacle they’re saying even with Clay the admins refuse to let him hire and fire as he wishes and won’t agree to pay or interview staff he wants. Also some stuff about the Kiffin airport firing and timing of it being related to him rocking the boat and throwing blame back at the admin for lack of support.

In re Clay: consensus seems to be that he has a year to fix things or he’s out, but some are saying he won’t even be allowed to mass fire his staff and Department assistants so he’s pretty much a lame duck who has to make it work with what he has. In other words he can’t hire experienced assistants he has to just learn how to coach.

Don’t think UCLA cares about football as much as they should if they wanna be national contenders ...they are a legacy basketball school
i don't know about that anymore. With what football programs make these days, they obviously do care. I'd like to see a comparison of what the hoops program brings in vs football

In re Clay: consensus seems to be that he has a year to fix things or he’s out, but some are saying he won’t even be allowed to mass fire his staff and Department assistants so he’s pretty much a lame duck who has to make it work with what he has. In other words he can’t hire experienced assistants he has to just learn how to coach.
man, i always imagined the opposite with whats said here. I always imagined higher ups forcing him to make some changes and Helton saying, because his "family" values, he wouldn't fire anyone and place the blame on that coach,

i don't know about that anymore. With what football programs make these days, they obviously do care. I'd like to see a comparison of what the hoops program brings in vs football

“Casey Wasserman had to stage a coup de grace at UCLA and take things out of the university's hands. Wasserman concluded UCLA was either too incompetent, too lazy or purposely marginalizing the football program when it came to hiring coaches. He went over the Dan Guerro's head and closed the deal with Chip Kelly. Maybe that ends in disaster, maybe it works out for UCLA. If it doesn't work out, I assure you the bureaucratic detractors at UCLA will use it as ammunition to draw even more university resources away from the football program. At USC it was the administration that claimed Pete Carroll had too much power, which is why the program got into trouble. Thus, they vowed never to hire a coach who commands such authority. I'd like to tell you there are factions within the university at war over that type of thinking. I'd like to, but I think the administrators at USC are making good money and would rather keep things status quo.”

man, i always imagined the opposite with whats said here. I always imagined higher ups forcing him to make some changes and Helton saying, because his "family" values, he wouldn't fire anyone and place the blame on that coach,

I think the only coaches that may be the case with are Callaway and Tee (Callaway is basically his uncle and Tee’s his guy) but Clay tried to hire Klemm and the DB coach who ended up at Oregon in the offseason and the admins blocked both moves. Also won’t let him hire a football nutritionist or let the team fly out for road games (Texas) on Thursday instead of Friday. There’s a lot of little frugal things that add up.

Still that’s no excuse for practicing soft or passing the ball 48 times on the road with a freshman QB.

“Casey Wasserman had to stage a coup de grace at UCLA and take things out of the university's hands. Wasserman concluded UCLA was either too incompetent, too lazy or purposely marginalizing the football program when it came to hiring coaches. He went over the Dan Guerro's head and closed the deal with Chip Kelly. Maybe that ends in disaster, maybe it works out for UCLA. If it doesn't work out, I assure you the bureaucratic detractors at UCLA will use it as ammunition to draw even more university resources away from the football program. At USC it was the administration that claimed Pete Carroll had too much power, which is why the program got into trouble. Thus, they vowed never to hire a coach who commands such authority. I'd like to tell you there are factions within the university at war over that type of thinking. I'd like to, but I think the administrators at USC are making good money and would rather keep things status quo.”
Yea this sounds about right, but they were willing to deal with the whole Ball family situation for basketball :lol: ...like I was telling casper90403 casper90403 some schools don’t wanna take it to the level you need to become a national champ type school....n UCLA doesn’t even have to cuz they got “blue blood” status in basketball which gives them all the notoriety and attention anyway...just being in a power 5 conference assures them a nice bag just by doing the basics

In LA it’s USC=Football and UCLA=Basketball

I don’t think his Oregon tenure was a fluke by any means but he rose to the top when the PAC was really down and had an offense like we’d never seen. Now the pac is stronger, we know the offense, and frankly it’s his first year so I doubt he has the players (yet) for what he wants to run

Back
Top Bottom