OFFICIAL 2019 COLLEGE FOOTBALL OFFSEASON THREAD

You asked who has the resources. Those programs have the resources. You know what they don’t have, Nick Saban. Those also rams ain’t running to damn near volunteer for Harbaugh or Helton or Brian Kelly, they’re all there to get put under the wing and LEARN.
Right...it's not even necessarily a "resources" thing. If your team has the resources to hire a legit head coach, they have the resources to hire a super legit support staff. Guys aren't running to Alabama because they're gonna make huge bank to watch film and "be an extra coach on the field during closed practices." They're running to coach at Alabama because they know Saban is gonna teach them a lot and polish up their resume so they can either jump to a better spot or get back on their feet somewhere else with a future career path.

Kiffin was set to be an analyst at Bama before Nussmeier left for Michigan right before Kiffin got there...then Kiffin got the OC position and got another shot at a HC position. Sarkisian was an analyst at Bama before getting promoted to OC then leaving for the NFL. Mike Locksley took an analyst position for a couple years and is now the OC with a chance to ride Tua to another chance as an HC at a smaller program again. Especially on the offensive side of the ball, Saban has essentially turned that into a free ride to another chance at a huge opportunity that guys cannot turn down, even if it means making $40k for a year or two as they wait out their turn.

Texas tried it out, but hired a bunch of duds then Herman tried to subliminally throw the whole idea under the bus once he couldn't keep and/or attract talented coaches when he got to Austin.

****, even A&M on a smaller scale has gotten significantly better at this solely by hiring Fisher. Sumlin had a free budget to hire whoever he wanted as an analyst but couldn't attract talent and had too big of an ego to bring in guys with better ideas than he had. A&M now has a rather large support staff under Fisher with lots of talented guys who may eventually ride these positions into position coach opportunities then on up to coordinator positions and eventually HC opportunities.

You're telling me if Chip Kelly came back to college and was a HUGE hit again he wouldn't have very, very talented coaches lining up on his doorstep willing to make $40k-$50k/year underneath him while they learned how to scout teams and coach an offense at that level (Chip's previous level, anyways) with an eye on future chances to make a jump at a much higher paying job?

Sure, it gives an extremely huge opportunity for exploitation on the coaching level, but almost every team can easily take advantage of it they have a decent coach who isn't scared of being challenged by young, bright minds who aren't afraid to battle the status quo and bring new ideas to the table.

That’s a lot of writing tmay. Not sure if I want to wander down that long text road :lol:
tl;dr: Hire a good head coach, and you too can have a great analyst program that doesn't require a massive investment. Ex: Todd Helton isn't going to attract analyst talent, open practice or not.

Free team dinner got cut off about 2 hours into a top notch steakhouse. I was still planning on having like another bottle of free wine per person.

Even West Virginia has a team of like at least 5 analysts. WEST VIRGINIA. Don't tell me this stuff is only for rich programs.

Last edited:
tmay407 tmay407 But you're just talking about the 3 HCs in Saban's reputation repair boot camp. Bama has upwards of 30 staffers. That's a resources thing. We can agree to disagree.

It’s a little bit of both I think. A ton of schools can afford to underpay a bunch of analysts but not every school is willing to support the program enough for them to even hire an analyst. I think USC has 2 or 3 that I know of for sure.

Now SC’s program has always been frugal but they caught lightning in a bottle with Pete Carroll and his success afforded him more control and power and forced everyone to circle the wagons around him and start spending more to keep the train going.

Tl;dr mansplain:
It’s a revenue, resources, AND credibility thing. Saban has the revenue but it’s his credibility that he will certainly put the money to good use that convinces the school to allocate the resources he needs to him.

It’s a revenue, resources, AND credibility thing. Saban has the revenue but it’s his credibility that he will certainly put the money to good use that convinces the school to allocate the resources he needs to him.
I can agree with that outside of revenue :lol:.

Why are we concerned with or arguing about the impact of analysts when the fact of the matter is they win and beat the brakes off everybody because they just flat out have better players than everyone else does? :lol:

Does it help to watch some retread head coach watching film and offering opinions rather than a GA? Sure. But that's not why they're better than everyone else.

“Little Giant(s)”

Disregard the expired play clock lol. Can’t believe that play is 8 years old and Brian Kelly has been at ND that long either.

I was at this game. Well, The first quarter of it. Was so drunk off E&J that I got lost going to bathroom. Ended up puking in some random section of the stadium and being carried out. Spent the night in the drunk tank, and heard the final call on the radio :lol:. Was so hype and still so drunk, that I didn't even care that I was locked up. Sophomore year times :pimp:

when the fact of the matter is they win and beat the brakes off everybody because they just flat out have better players than everyone else does?
I mean, that's obvious. :lol: No one was arguing anything different.

Why are we concerned with or arguing about the impact of analysts when the fact of the matter is they win and beat the brakes off everybody because they just flat out have better players than everyone else does? :lol:

Does it help to watch some retread head coach watching film and offering opinions rather than a GA? Sure. But that's not why they're better than everyone else.
But it actually is apart of why they are better than everyone

Colin Cowherd just said that USC is targeting urban for next year ( :lol:). Joel Klatt says that he's heard Lynn Swann (read: SC boosters) want to swing for McVay and Kyle Shannahan ( :lol:).

1. In his defense, Cowherd was right when he said USC was going to go after Sark after Petersen fell through.
2. and sure, he was convinced we were going to hire Jon Harbaugh last year, and now it's come out that the reason he thought that is because Haden had told boosters he was in talks to hire him before pulling the ultimate okey doke :lol:
3. But USC is possibly the strictest big program in the country on Title IX and dom v. issues, and with the med school and staff sexual assault cases, zero chance that SC would hire him.
4. With the school's football funding issues and the roadblocks every coach since Robinson has run into, why the hell would Urban even want to come here?
5. Colin needs to stop hot taking.

Colin Cowherd just said that USC is targeting urban for next year ( :lol:). Joel Klatt says that he's heard Lynn Swann (read: SC boosters) want to swing for McVay and Kyle Shannahan ( :lol:).

1. In his defense, Cowherd was right when he said USC was going to go after Sark after Petersen fell through.
2. and sure, he was convinced we were going to hire Jon Harbaugh last year, and now it's come out that the reason he thought that is because Haden had told boosters he was in talks to hire him before pulling the ultimate okey doke :lol:
3. But USC is possibly the strictest big program in the country on Title IX and dom v. issues, and with the med school and staff sexual assault cases, zero chance that SC would hire him.
4. With the school's football funding issues and the roadblocks every coach since Robinson has run into, why the hell would Urban even want to come here?
5. Colin needs to stop hot taking.
McVay as in Sean McVay??

cage.gif

Reactions: HIM
Was Klatt on Cowherd's show by chance? If so, they were smoking reefer in the commercial break prior to Klatt coming on.,

He was. I didn't catch the segment but saw it being discussed on Twitter and SC boards.
man, i need to see that interview. WOuld be fun for laughs.

Urban is so much more possible (even though its not) than McVay ever sniffs the USC campus as a head coach. Even if they threw $10M at him.

Would rather have Clay Helton than lose McVay to USC. F that.

Notice I didn't even address the McVay or Shannahan nonsense. No NFL coach with a stable job is jumping to college let alone the pros. It'd have to be an NFL coach with something to prove that can't get a HC position immediately and wants to live in LA.

And nah F the rams. Give us McVay.

But it actually is apart of why they are better than everyone

They were better than everyone before they starting becoming a half-way house for broken coaches. They're better than everyone because they had the #1 recruiting class for 8 years in a row.

Back
Top Bottom