OFFICIAL 2019 COLLEGE FOOTBALL OFFSEASON THREAD

“Drew Mehringer, Sam Ehlinger and Kevin Washington are due to arrive in Los Angeles around 11 a.m. CT while Tom Herman is scheduled to arrive around 5 p.m. CT, according to sources. All four are expected to meet with Bru McCoy and his family later today, sources told Horns247.”

They sent Sam!! Mans is missing workouts for this! What’s the NCAA rule on paying for active players to go on recruiting trips? :nerd: :lol: :lol:
i think Sam was already in town

According to an unverified Reddit user from Texas with only 2 upvotes, USC is sending Bru's girlfriend to the meeting as well:

(That's supposedly really his girlfriend, so this is mostly just an excuse to post that)

Interesting.. her sister actually plays softball for Texas.
She's the catcher that hit the pitcher this past weekend.

i think Sam was already in town

Nah he was back in UT. He did the Steve Clarkson camp last weekend but was back in Texas for team workouts yesterday. Bru was the only scholarship player absent.

Sam's parents "are paying for him" to fly back and stay in LA on short notice a day later. Allegedly they're wealthy so I guess they could "make a donation to the university" in that way.

This Bru McCoy saga is wild. Reminds of me of when Brett Favre kept flip flopping betwee retiring and playing. McCoy better be worth it, if teams go through all this back and forth and McCoy is a bust, it'll be hilarous

guys with this much drama rarely work out
This Bru McCoy saga is wild. Reminds of me of when Brett Favre kept flip flopping betwee retiring and playing. McCoy better be worth it, if teams go through all this back and forth and McCoy is a bust, it'll be hilarous

I actually think this is an interesting offseason dead period convo to have:

Bru’s the first player to ever transfer from one school to another and back to the original school before ever playing a down in college, so there isn’t really a comparison, but has there ever been a player with transfer drama that went on to star at a school? A player who’d transferred twice? Alvin Kamara comes to mind but he only transferred once. There’s tons of other players but I can’t think of any with two transfers.

Bru is unique in that his transfers aren’t driven by playing time or football reasons - by all accounts he was #3 or 4 on UT’s depth chart after spring and USC only has 7 other scholarship receivers and runs an air raid.

I actually think this is an interesting offseason dead period convo to have:

Bru’s the first player to ever transfer from one school to another and back to the original school before ever playing a down in college, so there isn’t really a comparison, but has there ever been a player with transfer drama that went on to star at a school? A player who’d transferred twice? Alvin Kamara comes to mind but he only transferred once. There’s tons of other players but I can’t think of any with two transfers.

Bru is unique in that his transfers aren’t driven by playing time or football reasons - by all accounts he was #3 or 4 on UT’s depth chart after spring and USC only has 7 other scholarship receivers and runs an air raid.

If you include guys who transferred from the original school, to junior college and then to their final school I can name quite a few who have been successful (Cam Newton, Lagarrett Blount, etc.)

If you're isolating it to power 5 school to power 5 school transfers, then I can't name a single one. Like you mentioned it, most of these guys who have a drama filled transfers and multiple transfers rarely pan out.

Troy Aikman? :lol: Jarvis Jones? But both those guys only x’fered once

There are guys who go from P5 to P5 and are fine but I guess the question is what is transfer drama? Like I guess what Tate and Ricky Town did? Blake Barnett too? Gunner Kiel? But those last two started at their schools.

After thinking about it, I’m starting to think that the transfers that bust tend to be QBs because their reasons for transferring are almost always depth
Chart or legal issue related, compared to other positions where multiple guys can play.

According to Greg Biggins, Sam Ehlinger told him that Bru had already won the Lil Jordan Humphrey starring receiver spot/role which is why he UT coaches are freaking out and trying so hard to keep him.

He’s giving up a starting spot to transfer back.

According to Greg Biggins, Sam Ehlinger told him that Bru had already won the Lil Jordan Humphrey starring receiver spot/role which is why he UT coaches are freaking out and trying so hard to keep him.

Was he going to get his waiver?

did GB tweet this?

did GB tweet this?

Said it on his podcast. I guess I should clarify idk if that’s fact or his read of it but he said it immediately after saying he was talking to sam Ehlinger at the QB retreat and “Sam said he was killing it,” then “Bru was already filling the starting Lil Jordan Humphrey role in spring.”

Ehlinger liked that tweet

Was he going to get his waiver?

It’s unclear. They think so though. They intentionally waited til Tate and Justin had filed theirs to see what the NCAA would do and we’re happy because they felt hey had weaker cases and the ncaa had set precedent. Worth noting they hired an attorney two weeks before Bru actually transferred out of USC to see how they could flip Kliff’s hiring and firing into a transfer waiver.

Chip Brown was saying an unnamed source (who again sounds like Biggins who’s a family friend of theirs) told him that Bru went to Texas partly because of DeGabriel Floyd and the WR coach Drew Mehringer. The source was like “now DeGabriel is out for all of 2019 with spinal stenosis and he can’t tell if Herman likes Mehringer and thinks he’s about to fire him.”

Is Mehringer a bad WR coach? Lol at the idea of a kid bouncing BEFORE a program can do the position coach bait and switch with him.

Nobody knows... Rumors were swirling that Texas hadn't even filed/pushed the paperwork.

Texas hasn’t filed it yet. They gave him the docs a few weeks ago to sign and he refused. That’s when he hit up his boys at USC.

Mehringer is Herman's guy.

He's been with Herman at OSU, Houston and now Texas. Herman's hired him everywhere he's been.

Texas' receivers were about the best thing going for them last year with Humphrey and Collin Johnson, and Mehringer seems like his name comes up CONSTANTLY in recruiting. So I don't know. Seems weird there'd be a disconnect there, unless Mehringer wants another shot at an OC job somewhere and Herman won't give up play calling.

Said it on his podcast. I guess I should clarify idk if that’s fact or his read of it but he said it immediately after saying he was talking to sam Ehlinger at the QB retreat and “Sam said he was killing it,” then “Bru was already filling the starting Lil Jordan Humphrey role in spring.”

Ehlinger liked that tweet

Does Biggins have his own podcast or is this the one he does with Keith Miller (Transparent Truth)?

Back
Top Bottom