OFFICIAL 2019 COLLEGE FOOTBALL OFFSEASON THREAD

I also think DGW (or super long shot Justin Flowe) silent committed this week.

Also @N41D For whatever it's worth Lindberg kept his visit to SC secret from other schools. They're saying no one knew he was visiting til just before, compared to Bijan and the others who coordinated their visits with UT trips. 247 guys are saying its weird because he was more public about his other trips.
i think it was DGW. To be honest, we don't want him man. Super overrated. This dude ran a 4.95 at one of these camps.

Too many mediocre kids are committing to us right now.

How many does Clay have to win to keep his job? S&P+ has you guys going 7-5.

8?

His job isn’t tied directly to his record. He probably won’t survive a 2-4 start though.

That said, I genuinely think we’re better than all these analysts think we are. Bill Connelly admitted he needed to completely adjust his PAC 12 prediction. We’re not going to go 6-6/7-5.

866ECCDB-683A-489D-B3BB-C0502B7456E8.jpeg
182FE41D-1C5E-4583-8DAE-880FF6724E6B.jpeg

His job isn’t tied directly to his record. He probably won’t survive a 2-4 start though.

That said, I genuinely think we’re better than all these analysts think we are. Bill Connelly admitted he needed to completely adjust his PAC 12 prediction. We’re not going to go 6-6/7-5.

Quoted for later
@MVP

Bold prediction: USC will have a top-20 scoring offense in 2019
ByRYAN ABRAHAM

There is no shortage of hot takes and bold predictions on the internet and social media, so when 247Sports asked us to make one when it comes to USC football we wanted to make sure to come up with something interesting, realistic and also bold at the same time.

Looking back at several of the anomalies from last season, one that stood out was USC's scoring offense. Despite having four and five-star talent all over the offensive roster the Trojans were only able to put up 26.1 points per game, good for 90th in the country and tied with an Oregon State squad that went 2-10 (plus the Beavers scored one more touchdown than the Trojans).

No. 90 out of 129 FBS programs with one of the most talented offensive rosters in the country. Wow.

So here is our bold prediction: The USC Trojans will jump from No. 90 in the country in scoring offense all the way up into the top-20.

How can head coach Clay Helton accomplish that? Let's take a look at the factors.

First if you look at the roster, the majority of the key pieces are returning. Sure the Trojans lose 60% of the starters on the offensive line and this year's crew won't be as deep or talented, but we feel with a better scheme and better coaching the line should be taking a step forward despite the losses. Add in a more experienced JT Daniels pulling the trigger with one of the most talented wide receivers corps in the country, a deep group of running backs and a couple of tight ends who can cause match-up problems and there is no question the Trojans have the horses to hang with just about anyone.

On the scheme side USC is leaving behind the 'gumbo' offense in favor of something that resembles an Air Raid attack orchestrated by Graham Harrell. From what we saw in the spring the offense ran much more efficiently and it was much easier for all of the players to pick up and understand. The transition from a too many cooks in the kitchen, hero-ball type of offense to one that will move the chains and keep pressure on the defense should work wonders for the Trojans this year.

Outside of the obvious upgrade of Harrell as the offensive coordinator Helton also made a few adjustments that should pay dividends and help the offense score more points. The removal of Neil Callaway as offensive line coach, moving Tim Drevno over from running backs to OL and bringing in Mike Jinks to coach running backs was a significant upgrade for two key assistant coaching positions. Drevno isn't out of place any longer and Jinks comes in with Air Raid and head coaching experience to help with the running backs.

Keary Colbert moving over from tight ends to wide receivers also removes another coach who was seemingly out of place coaching an unfamiliar position. Tee Martin always did a great job with the receivers so Colbert has some big shoes to fill, but at least he is now in a spot that he knows extremely well.

Looking at all of the upgrades and improvements along the offense, scoring an extra 10 points per game in 2019 seems very realistic (and it could easily be even higher than that).
But for the sake of argument let's just say that USC goes from 26.1 points per game to 36.1 points per game this season. Of course the 2019 scoring offense rankings will be different, but if you check the chart for last year scoring 36.1 points per game would have been good for No. 19 in the country, just ahead of Texas A&M's 36.0 points per game.

Going from a bottom-third offense to top-20 would be significant, but the pieces are in place for the Trojans to accomplish that. How many more wins would that translate to? That is obviously difficult to say. But what we are saying is expect a lot more points (and more excitement) to come out of this USC offense in 2019.

Bill has his own P12 power rankings which are informed by the numbers, but the numbers are the numbers.

Army could replace them, but that's going to create some problems with the AAC title race and that game being on the week after the Championship games. They might have to move it to week 0 or the Sunday night before Labor day to keep the prime time spot.

I agree. Ricks ain’t coming. His talent belongs in the SEC. he knows it.

They need to win about 10 games to get Flowe. Or 9 but look very good in the losses.

And I thought we would make it to the entire offseason without anybody getting in (serious) trouble. Apparently this is related to a domestic violence issue from over a year ago

Georgia let him play the whole 2018 season AFTER he beat up his GF...?

Georgia let him play the whole 2018 season AFTER he beat up his GF...?

From what I've heard, the assault occured over a year ago and she went to the hospital, got stitches, etc and her story was that it was some type of at home accident. It was one of those back and forth things where they were hitting each other and obviously Holloman is alot stronger than her. She didn't go to the police and accuse Holloman until about 2 weeks ago.

Rumor is that she went to the cops now because JJ moved on and is dating another girl. Regardless, he admitted to it and he deserves to be punished.

With Texas and TCU at home I'm hoping we can sneak into the 2 spot. Aside from Oklahoma, I think Baylor is our toughest road game with WV, KSU, & TT all having new coaches. Definitely not chalking any of them as wins.

UT might "fall off" record wise, but I think they are more or less going to be the same team as last year. All the hype is because people only remember the OU and UGA W's, and don't remember the UMD, Tulsa, KSU, Baylor, and KU games.

I could see them being top 15ish good if Ehlinger takes the next step, but idk if I see that happening. I kind of in the middle opinion wise on him, he's better than the "throwing FB" label, but I don't know if I ever see him becoming the next Tebow.

Is Baldwin going to get his waiver at TCU?

Back
Top Bottom