OFFICIAL 2019 COLLEGE FOOTBALL OFFSEASON THREAD

The description
sabu.png

Famed waiver attorney for college athletes Tom Mars hired by NCAA to work in enforcement
Mars came to prominence by filing lawsuits against the NCAA on behalf of coaches and players
You know what they say: If you keep beating 'em, join 'em. Attorney Tom Mars is joining the NCAA's Complex Case Unit, according to CBS Sports' Dennis Dodd. Yahoo Sports first reported Mars' move.

Mars is a name that has become familiar to people who follow college sports closely. He first appeared on the scene in 2017 when he sued Ole Miss on behalf of former coach Houston Nutt, alleging a breach of contract. It was that lawsuit that unearthed actions by Hugh Freeze, who was Ole Miss' coach at the time and led to his resignation. Since then, Mars had become an advocate for players hoping to transfer.

According to Dodd, Mars will not be as an investigator, per se. Sources with knowledge of the situation tell CBS Sports that Mars will be an "independent external advocate" for the Complex Case Unit.

An independent enforcement advocate is the lead lawyer assigned to oversee a case and decide whether further investigation is needed. That advocate will present the Complex Case Unit's findings to the NCAA's Independent Resolution Panel.

Simple, right? For those who haven't kept track, complex cases have become a lot more complex. Cases will start with independent investigators. The independent enforcement advocate will decide if the case moves on. The panel (retired judges, third party members from the outside) will decide the cases.

Following Freeze's resignation from Ole Miss, Mars helped seven Ole Miss players receive transfer waivers. One of those players was current Michigan quarterback Shea Patterson. Mars also helped Justin Fields gain immediate eligibility after the Georgia QB decided to transfer to Ohio State.

Not every transfer case Mars appealed was a success, including the recent case of Luke Ford, an Illinois native who transferred back to Illinois from Georgia to be closer to his ailing grandfather. The NCAA ruled that Ford wasn't eligible for a waiver since his grandfather didn't live within 100 miles of the school. Mars took up an appeal on Ford's behalf, but it was denied by the NCAA in June.

Mars said recently that he would no longer be handling transfer waiver cases.

The Complex Case Unit was the recommendation of the Commission on College Basketball last year that was led by former Secretary of State Condoleeza Rice. The committee will begin operations next month, and it will be a group of external investigators as well as NCAA enforcement staff. The group's purpose will be to handle the more extensive and more complicated investigations of possible NCAA violations.

It will likely be a smooth transfer process for Mars.

“I told him, if you come to Oklahoma State, I’ll coach you like I do everybody else… If you’re the best player, you’ll play. If not, you won’t play — even though I’m sleeping with your mom.”

Clemson DB Kyler McMichael to Transfer to UNC

After spending mere hours in the transfer portal, Kyler McMichael has committed to transferring to North Carolina.

McMichael, a 6-foot, 200-pound cornerback, made the announcement on Saturday afternoon. He spent the past season at Clemson, which won the National Championship. He signed with the Tigers as part of the 2018 class and enrolled in the spring '18 semester.

247 guys making A&M fans feel really good about Donell Harris :lol:

Getting their hopes up hardcore. :lol: :smh:

Is this just regular off season, coach speak (similar to Oklahoma and not naming Kyler Murray the starter until fall camp) or is there actually a story here?

247 guys making A&M fans feel really good about Donell Harris :lol:

Getting their hopes up hardcore. :lol: :smh:
That kid is going to the highest bidder and it sounds like Bama, UGA, and Clemson all turned him down. It's Auburn or A&M it looks like.

FSU’s boosters aren’t upping the bread for that kind of kid right now, maybe later on in the class or the next year.

They were flowing last summer though

I got $18 in my wallet to donate to the fund.

We need an edge rusher in the worst way, don't care what he costs.

He's probably a few years away from playing and it sounds like his dad is flagrantly seeking the bag :lol:. Teams seem to be much higher on him as a 2021 kid than as a 2020 kid.

It'll be interesting to see where he falls when 247 releases the updated 2020 rankings tomorrow. Not many kids out there like Amobi Okoye who could thrive while being a full year younger than their peers.

He's not a full year younger though. He's reclassifying because this is his right class and he wouldn't be able to play football in the state of Florida for the full season.

He's not a full year younger though. He's reclassifying because this is his right class and he wouldn't be able to play football in the state of Florida for the full season.
Oh dang, I was mistaking him with someone else's age I looked at on 247 then. Too many random kids that Jimbo is showing interest in (and getting interest from), can't keep them straight.

Even if he needs a year or two, he'll still at least challenge what we have on campus at WDE. Hoping Fadil Diggs is as good as his ranking suggests for the 2020 class though.

Either way though, still got this $18 in my wallet for him.

USC announced they’re closing practices to the media and public this season. Hmm.

How do the rest of you follow your teams with no practice access? Booster and player alum heresay?

USC announced they’re closing practices to the media and public this season. Hmm.

How do the rest of you follow your teams with no practice access? Booster and player alum heresay?
Miami has a short media viewing period and the rest is purely dependent on people who have access to watch practices reporting on the message boards and hearsay.

Jake Garcia looking like a Miami lock now. :nerd: Texas was the biggest competition it seems. Seems like he'll commit after his season.
you can have him. He ain't the goods. I have to remember he's going into his junior year though. But he is very unimpressive. Handsome kid who will get a ton of poon at the U though.

Back
Top Bottom