**OFFICIAL 2019 NBA OFFSEASON THREAD**

Which team will win the 2018-2019 NBA Championship?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Didn’t think much of it at the time, but a couple weeks ago I heard a Lakers beat writer interviewed on a local LA radio show. Can’t remember what prompted it, but he said people would probably be surprised how “tough” a boss Magic is and that Magic’s quick to call people working for him out if he thinks they’re not getting the job done. Writer also said that, because of all his other business ventures, Magic was around the team less than you might think.

So these might be the kind of things we hear more about as the Lakers situation plays out...

Didn’t think much of it at the time, but a couple weeks ago I heard a Lakers beat writer interviewed on a local LA radio show. Can’t remember what prompted it, but he people would probably be surprised how “tough” a boss Magic is and that he’s quick to call people working for him out of he thinks they’re not getting the job done. Also said that, because of all his other business ventures, Magic was around the team less than you might think.

So these might be the kind of things we hear more about as the Lakers situation plays out...

Imagine a dude who is barely there, is not doing the dirty work that comes with the job (scouting, hours of film, etc), coming in random days and saying no you’re doing your job wrong this is how you do it.

And none of this should be a surprise. He would go on every media outlet and bash the previous FO as they were rebuilding. How does that help the Lakers?

I hate my team.

1E35A885-A65D-42DA-843D-63776647852F.jpeg

Hope y’all been doing well :smokin

Currently at my desk ready to bounce for this vacation.

Leaving for Coachella tonight.
Nba playoffs & Game Of Thrones episode 1 when I get back home.

What a time. Hit me if any of y’all at Coachella :nerd:

cop those John Geigers kicks for me. Srs.

Bro I’m trynna cop a pair for myself Idk how to get em tho. If I find out I’ll get my boy to come with me and we’ll cop 2. What’s ur size
i missed em when they dropped on the site.

they dont do half sizes so no 11.5. 11 should be gucci. I feel like 12 would be boats.

Rooting for John Wall.
John Wall is angry, that’s a good start for the Wizards

USATSI_12504592-1024x683.jpg

By Michael Lee 2h ago
save-icon.png

John Wall made everyone standing around him in a hallway laugh. But he wasn’t telling a joke.

Wall was simply doing what he’s always done: Speak directly, bluntly and defiantly, take it or leave it. Near the end of an almost 10-minute, end-of-year exit interview from the most miserable Wizards season since he arrived, Wall, left foot in a protective boot, leg resting on a scooter, was asked how he’d feel if the franchise for which he’s proudly been the face decided to draft a point guard with their hard(luck)-earned lottery pick.

“Me? I’d be fine. I don’t have no problem with that because it is what it is. You have to do what’s best for the team and make sure that we have pieces,” Wall said, setting up the zinger. “And when I come back, he can be a great backup to me.”

As he looked around at the chuckling audience, Wall didn’t crack a smile. He was as serious as his predicament.

For those who still believe that he’s capable of the impossible, who wonder how Wall plans to attack the toughest rehab assignment of his career, that’s exactly what you want to hear. Because if you have to take your pick of John Wall models, you want the angry one right now. You want the one with something to prove. You want the one who is making a list of doubters, checking it twice, and plotting a rebuttal that will be not nice.

And, whomever Ted Leonsis hires to replace Ernie Grunfeld at general manager, should read that quote or listen to the audio right before informing Commissioner Adam Silver at the NBA draft this June, that with the whatever pick, the Washington Wizards select the best point guard available. If they’re fortunate enough to get Ja Morant, you bet. Coby White? Mhmm. Darius Garland, possibly. Anyone other than those playmakers, just go with the best player available and upgrade the base of talent.

The Wizards would be making the selection based on need — and on a need for the best possible version of Wall to return from an horrific ruptured Achilles’ injury from which the entire league is wondering how, and if, he’ll overcome.

What Wall looks like when he returns is anyone’s guess — and even optimists have to be concerned. But the Wizards can’t wait to see what he becomes before building the team moving forward, because he could miss all of next season and be a 30-year-old coming off three lost seasons of his prime.

Wall shared repeatedly Tuesday night that he’s been taking note of everything that’s been written about him since the devastating news — for him, for the franchise — was announced. No one has to wonder what Wall will be leaning upon for motivation as he undergoes a grueling rehabilitation that will slowly get underway once the stitches are removed from his heel later this month.

“My goal is that everybody that’s writing me off, keep doing it. That’s my ultimate goal,” Wall said. “Other than that, I’m just taking the process: How long does it take to get back right? And whenever my body feels like it’s back to where I feel ready to play, that’s when I’ll come back.”

Even with the most dogged determination — which he has proven to possess in his journey to become an NBA all-star — Wall faces what can easily be described as an uphill challenge. He boasted about his success in returning from previous, minor-by-comparison injuries.

But his current setback has robbed many before of their previous athletic exploits and effectiveness. While the players who have bounced back from ruptured Achilles’ tendons — Dominique Wilkins, Kobe Bryant, Rudy Gay and Wall’s close friend DeMarcus Cousins — can serve as an inspiration, none has a game so reliant on speed and explosiveness. Wall said those comebacks “give me a lot of life” but he can’t necessarily use what they did and expect it to translate to his game.

Before his season-ending bone spur surgery turned into something more career threatening, Wall was going to need to make an adjustment to how he played the game. He was getting older and little knick-knack injuries that he stubbornly played through were becoming more difficult from which to recover. Plus, the evolution of the game and his position was going to require that he would dial it back a bit for the sake of longevity and sustained productivity.

Wall joined the Wizards in 2010, when they already had a franchise cornerstone point guard who was recovering from injury and playing on a contract deemed untouchable. If the Wizards draft a player capable of replacing Wall at his position, the parallels to the end of the Gilbert Arenas era in Washington — sans guns — would be déjà vu.

This situation doesn’t have to end the same way. And given the salary-cap eating fear that almost any franchise would have in absorbing such an exorbitant contract in a trade, Wall will likely play out the duration of his soon-to-kick-in, $170 million supermax extension in Washington. What Wall makes of that deal isn’t strictly up to him; his effectiveness will be determined by what his body and age will allow him to do when he returns.

Anyone who has been around Wall during his time in Washington knows how intelligent he is, what a student of the game he is and what a basketball junkie he is. But the challenge for him lately was turning what he knows into making the best decisions, both on and off the floor. Now, if he wants to continue being a standout, all-star caliber performer, Wall won’t have a choice. He’ll have to side with his smarts over a hunger for the spectacular. That doesn’t mean he can’t be a showman, he just can’t be obsessed with the show.

That’s what makes Wall’s crankiness an encouraging development on his comeback trail. It was interesting that Wall stated that the 2016-17 season was the last time that he was himself on the floor. Wall was especially angry that season. He had plenty to prove coming off two knee surgeries and with the Wizards missing the playoffs and coming off a summer in which they whiffed on signing even serviceable players in free agency.

After leading the Wizards to Game 7 of the Eastern Conference semifinals, Wall was rewarded with a contract that few frowned upon at the time. Ted Leonsis and Ernie Grunfeld had never hesitated to give Wall what he earned. But something happened once they took care of Wall at that time; he lost his edge. Previous slights didn’t sting as much. The desire to prove people wrong — which was a way of life for Wall, not some clichéd, athlete talking point — wasn’t as regnant. Despite touting last offseason as the summer of separation, Wall immediately raised doubt about his commitment to that plan when, according to many within the organization, he showed up to training camp in less-than-ideal shape.

A person close to Wall said this injury, dismaying as it is, is what he probably needed to “grow up” some more. Nothing like the prospect of facing basketball mortality to inspire some maturity. Wall said he’s spent his time away from the game to enjoy the time he gets to share with his infant son, Ace. He’s also gained a greater appreciation for the game and what it has provided for him and his family. And, he’s been bathing in the words of his detractors.

“Just hearing what people say, that just keeps my fuel going,” Wall said. “I read all the articles. It’s over. His career is over. All that type of stuff. So, it’s fun for me.”

What’s next for Wall, and the Wizards, is the great unknown. But anyone prepared to bet on him coming back as good or better than ever should want to see an angry, motivated Wall. The one who wants to laugh last, without telling any jokes.

lolllllllll dudes tripping. no way Bob Myers bouncing on gsw to go start over in LA with annoying *** bron

Lol not reading all that. wall ornery af to never have accomplished anything. even with no injury, gimme mike conley over wall. i remember when you dudes said john was the best pg in the L. seems like just yesterday son in here was arguing his place being over curry :lol:. Life, man. Quick.

Lol not reading all that. wall ornery af to never have accomplished anything. even with no injury, gimme mike conley over wall. i remember when you dudes said john was the best pg in the L. seems like just yesterday son in here was arguing his place being over curry :lol:. Life, man. Quick.

Before The Collector got sent to Alcatraz and ultimately died, he was in here for 4 or 5 straight years calling him better than CP3. Then he said he was better than Curry :rofl:

Crawford becomes the only player to score 50 with four different teams. It's too bad he never made an All-Star game as his game would be perfect for one. He's had a great career and def in conversation for one of the best sixth men ever.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom