Official 2019 NYK offseason thread. Brooklyn knick fans check in

Question, do we HAVE to use the money? If we go 0/2 or 1/2.

Can the money be carried over to 2020 or used for a trade?

We could definitely pivot and use the money to acquire picks attached to players like the Nets have done

Also, are we completely out of the AD race?

We'll still need a damn rim protector and there are none around. Mitch too young.

Me eating up all these narratives that the Knicks are getting KD & Kyrie this summer

giphy.gif

I'm confident that if we strike on our top 2 targets this off-season the front office will preserve our cap space and only offer 1-2 year deals until we land our big fish(es)

All I ever asked for was consistent competency and flexibility.

BINGO. This is why my expectations are super low.

2010 young assets: David Lee, Chandler, Gallo, 2nd round pick (Fields)
2019 young assets: DSJ, Knox, Mitch, Trier, top 5 pick

2010 FA: Amare Stoudemire
2019 FA: ????

Lazy comparison considering we only had one max slot and we zeroed in on Bron.

If he was able to come here with Wade and Bosh he would've.

Situations are not the same at all

Lazy comparison considering we only had one max slot and we zeroed in on Bron.

We didnt though. We talked to Bosh first, then Amare, then had sitdown with Lebron.

There were deals on the table to open up a 2nd max slot if need be.

No one had 3 max slots though except the Heat. No one.

This is just not true. Melo was already on the decline and realistically no one wanted to play with him.

We had money to spend, but no one wanted to come here outside of Noah and some garbage.

You may have a point. No one wanted to play with Melo? I don't know man. Prime or decline. Phil made stupid moves that kept putting us back further. I mean, he traded expiring contract in Chandler for Calderon who had 2 or 3 years left on the contract and 2 2nd round picks. He gave JR Smith and Shumpert away. He acquired Lance Thomas then waived him then signed him to a 10-day contract twice then gave him a guaranteed contract then a long term contact. Wasted long term contracts on Robin Lopez, Noah, Lance Thomas

BINGO. This is why my expectations are super low.

2010 young assets: David Lee, Chandler, Gallo, 2nd round pick (Fields)
2019 young assets: DSJ, Knox, Mitch, Trier, top 5 pick

2010 FA: Amare Stoudemire
2019 FA: ????

Bruh

In 2009-2010 season. Walsh gave up two first round picks (one of these picks was swap right) to just dump salaries in Jordan Hill and Jeffries for expiring contract in T-Mac. We had no first round pick that year. I believe Jazz used our pick to draft Gordon Hayward. No one saw Miami's big three coming. We had no future trade chips. We let 2010 all-star David Lee go without receiving anything. We had only cap room. That's it

This season, we traded all-star KP, two large non expiring contracts and a player we picked up from G-League for DSJr who is still on a rookie contract until the summer of 2021, expiring contacts and two future 1st round picks. We will have $74 mill in cap along with former lottery picks; Knox, Ntilikina, DSJr plus Trier, Robinson. We have the right to Mudiay. We still have our own pick this year even though NBA lottery has been reformed. We have 6 1st round picks in the next four years

It's all good if stars are not coming to us this summer. I just like the path Knicks are in now. Our flexible path has become wider

Once the Knicks sign Stoudemire, they will have about $17 million of salary-cap room left, enough for one more max contract. If they miss on James and Wade, they could split that sum among several role players and make Stoudemire the centerpiece. They have been aggressively pursuing the sharpshooter Mike Miller and are interested in point guards Raymond Felton and Luke Ridnour.

https://www.nytimes.com/2010/07/06/sports/basketball/06stoudemire.html

Just for the record. We had a bunch of cap room, and assets if we needed to clear a few million to sign another max guy. We were looked at as a two max slot team in the summer of 2010. This is the same situation all over again. Only difference I can see is we have a little bit more of a percentage of the cap to play with...but we could have signed two guys in 2010. No one wanted to come here.

Thank you.

Everyone was saying Knicks going after Wade or Lebron + Bosh, but will end up with Amare and Joe Johnson. That was the narrative that summer. Instead we ended up with Amare and Felton.

Sure we may have more flexibility now, but nothings changed.

This ain’t 2010 though. & Walsh got stopped in his tracks by Dolan around that time. No happening this time around.

As long as we dont do the same mistake as before... maxing out a second tier dude, we will be fine. It cant get any lower than where we at now.

Back
Top Bottom