OFFICIAL 2020 NBA PLAYOFF THREAD - DISNEY COVID INVITATIONAL EDITION - MAMBA FOREVER - LAKERS WIN THE RONA RAND - ALA FOREVER

Who will win the inaugural COVID Invitational Jamboree?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Untitled-1.jpg

Untitled-2.jpg
Heat don’t have a defensive-minded backup 5 so Boston matches up better just off of that. Bam gets in foul trouble & game over.

But it’s probably a wash considering Boston is still learning how to close games.

Heat don’t have a defensive-minded backup 5 so Boston matches up better just off of that. Bam gets in foul trouble & game over.

But it’s probably a wash considering Boston is still learning how to close games.

i’m more worried about jimmy being able to generate enough points for himself. It’s also maybe the easiest matchup the bum lakers defenders have had.

I agree with you... that was moreso a reference to an earlier discussion in the thread lol
Honestly though having to do a year in college hurt a lot of guys hype wise. Wiggins immediately comes to mind... he had similar hype to Zion before that year at Kansas.

also what about Freddy Adu? I was young then but I remember him having crazy hype
Alphonso Davies >>>>>>

Who else has that much hype? I’m trying to only speak about my lifetime because I wasn’t around when Magic or Bird were coming up but maybe Brosizzlew30.23 Brosizzlew30.23 can chime in about them. Off the top of my head in terms of hype (not speaking to the then living up to it)

Tiger Woods
Bryce Harper (Baseball’s Chosen One)
Sidney Crosby (Next Wayne Gretzky)
Andrew Luck (his hype may be less than all the others but he was billed as the next Peyton)
There was definitely a ton of hype during the Magic-Bird era. If social media were around back then it woulda blown up as well.

The only difference today is that the medium has grown exponentially bigger, there are more media outlets to glorify a player/event.

Magic and Bird surely lived up to all the hype. 8 titles between the 2 legends. Faced against each other 3 times in the Finals from 84-87, with Magic beating Bird twice. The Rivalry hasn't been topped since.

i’m more worried about jimmy being able to generate enough points for himself. It’s also maybe the easiest matchup the bum lakers defenders have had.

Yeah, the more I think about it, as well as the Heat have been playing, I think the Lakers are a real bad match-up for them. Don’t have much hope for a competitive Finals if they close out the Celtics.

There was definitely a ton of hype during the Magic-Bird era. If social media were around back then it woulda blown up as well.

The only difference today is that the medium has grown exponentially bigger, there are more media outlets to glorify a player/event.

Magic and Bird surely lived up to all the hype. 8 titles between the 2 legends. Faced against each other 3 times in the Finals from 84-87, with Magic beating Bird twice. The Rivalry hasn't been topped since.

Thank you for the insight and I concur about the media component. The leaps in media between Magic/Bird as prospects (whatever y’all had back then :lol: )...to LeBron ~20 years later (games on national TV and Pay Per View, magazines, etc) to Zion ~15 years later (social media and a more global NBA) have dramatically increased hype for players. It’ll be interesting to see how things evolve by the time we get next Top 1-5 player.

Yea', I'd expect a fair amount of small ball if/when Heat advance. They'd have to hang their hat on their shooting and defense of Jimmy/Crowder/Andre outside of Bam

Maybe it’s just the areas of the city where I spend my time, but it was really only this week that I started to feel some palpable excitement from the LA general population about the NBA again (Post-COVID shutdown) I think that’s a good development, so if it took the Lakers getting to the Finals to get there, cool.
My IG timeline was hectic last night. Energy is ramping up for sure harkens back to 2009 and 2010

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom