OFFICIAL 2021-2022 COLLEGE FOOTBALL THREAD

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was thinking if UGA wins out and Oklahoma state does it would be:

1. UGA
2. Mich/OSU
3. Cincy
4. Oklahoma State

(Cincy and Oklahoma State could be swapped depending on the margin of victory for them)

Or if Oklahoma State loses the B12 title game then Notre Dame at 4?
At this point, I think they get in if Bama doesn’t win the SEC.

UGA is locked either way, IMO.

Big10 is getting one. And the Big Xii champ is probably in.

If Bama bears Auburn and wins the SEC, Cincy is toast unless the BigXII goes full chaos.

Yeah I rather watch Cincy get blown out then have to watch Brian Kelly look like an insufferable ***** on the sidelines in a blowout
Yea it’s funny when I see/hear ppl complain bout Cincy getting cooked in the playoff…At least one of those games is terrible every year, might as well have somebody new in there to get washed :lol:

What happens if Oklahoma beats Oklahoma State and then beats Oklahoma State again to win the Big 12 title?

Gonna be an interesting weekend of football.

Agree. And MAYBE Baylor since they have them up there as well but that’s a stretch and would need some chaos ahead of them
11-2 Baylor vs. 13-0 Cincy with conference champs would be a damned fine case study in whether or not G5 is ever getting a slot.

I would guess Baylor losing to TCU killed them.

One of the connected posters on the Iowa State pay board said to expect the TCU game to be Campbell's last |l This year didn't go as well as it could have, but this ******* blows.

One of the connected posters on the Iowa State pay board said to expect the TCU game to be Campbell's last |l This year didn't go as well as it could have, but this ****ing blows.

SC? Good for him, I always thought he’d end up at a Midwest school tho.

USC’s next head coach: What do players’ parents want? The qualities (and possible candidates) they value most

LOS ANGELES, CA - NOVEMBER 20: USC Trojans linebacker Hunter Echols (31) leads the Trojans onto the field before the start of a college football game against the UCLA Bruins played on November 20, 2021 at the Los Angeles Memorial Coliseum in Los Angeles, CA. (Photo by John Cordes/Icon Sportswire via Getty Images)

By Antonio Morales Nov 23, 2021
comment-icon.png
save-icon.png

LOS ANGELES — USC’s coaching search is now more than two months old, and the expectation is that the process will intensify over the final days of the regular season as the most important characters in this year’s carousel have the opportunity to discuss job openings more directly.

Coaches, administrators and agents will take center stage as the rumors fly and the formal contact begins. Parents have an intriguing seat for the action, as the right hire (or the wrong one) could drastically alter their children’s playing futures. Will they have any say in who USC decides to hire as its next head coach? No. But they watch practices, attend games, build relationships with assistant coaches and know what their kids do and don’t respond well to.

So The Athletic polled 16 parents of current USC players earlier this season to gain some of that perspective: the qualities they believe the Trojans’ next head coach needs, the names they’d be excited about if they were hired and the names they wouldn’t be thrilled to hear. Representing roughly 20 percent of the families with ties to USC’s roster, this survey offers only a glimpse into select parents’ thoughts during late October and early November, before any specific names were connected with the biggest jobs open right now.

Here are their responses, with anonymity granted so that they could speak openly while protecting their sons’ status within the program.

What’s the most important quality the next USC coach should have?

Parent of an upperclassman: Honesty and integrity.

Parent of an underclassman: Someone who knows how to build a program. This is a program with a great base, but we have to rebuild this. It’s not a total ground-up restoration at all. I think this person is going to have to come in and architect this program and completely revamp it. So those organizational skills and ability to do that I think would be No. 1.

Parent of an underclassman: (Clay) Helton had a hell of a quality: He loved his players. He built relationships with his players and I loved that quality in him. But you can’t do that at a USC or Alabama, a powerhouse program that has a rich tradition of winning national championships. You can only do that at mid-majors which know they’re going to go 8-5 and go bowling. There needs to be a commitment to excellence, to win, you’ve got to hold them accountable. … I’m a business owner. I fired my mom. I brought her back, but fired my dad. … The bar is set.

Parent of an underclassman: Leadership skills. A lot of people can teach Xs and Os, but you have to know how to reach the kids. You could sit up there and say, “The mike (linebacker) will do this,” but if you can’t reach the kids, it really doesn’t mean anything. They have to believe in you.

Parent of an upperclassman: The Helton way was a good way as far as dealing with the kids. You ask any of the kids, they loved Helton as far as how he dealt with them. You need a coach who’s willing to look out for your kid. Good or bad, Helton did that. As far as coaching, you need to establish some discipline on this team. There’s no consequences for you dropping a ball. There’s no consequences for you not knowing the playbook. It’s just a subtle discipline, and there needs to be more focus on the task from the coaches and the kids.

Parent of an underclassman: To be honest, I’d rather have a coach who’s an ******* than someone who’s trying to please everybody. Somebody that’s going to be fair that doesn’t shy away from tough conversations.

Parent of an underclassman: Some SC background in terms of understanding and knowing the culture of SC. I don’t say that in a lame way, just an understanding if it’s possible. Stern, a man of his word.

Parent of an underclassman: There are a few. Independence, patience, expectation, accountability and real authentic rigor.

Parent of an underclassman: Certainly someone who has a proven leadership style. … They have to have a proven ability to lead a squad. And you’ve got to be able to take this individualized mindset and you’ve got to get them thinking about the concept of the team, and it’s not just the players, it’s the coaches.

Parent of an upperclassman: A disciplinarian. That’s why you’ve got Alabama doing so well. They’re not afraid to discipline these guys.

Parent of an underclassman: A proven system. … I would like to have a head coach with a proven resume. One that likes to recruit and develops (players). Because as you can see, the head of the snake matters.

Parent of an upperclassman: I think it’s kind of twofold. He needs to be a players’ coach but also a disciplinarian. I know it’s very rare to find that where it’s really effective but I think that would be the most important.

Parent of an underclassman: Leadership and a coach that will grind these kids and develop and get the most out of them. Unfortunately, sometimes you gotta be an ******* to get results.

Which potential coaching hire would excite you the most?

Parent of an upperclassman: I don’t have a name in my head, but I’d love to see a candidate like that Chargers head coach (Brandon Staley). Someone who’s young, invigorated with knowledge and an innovative mind and can carry that through the entire organization.

Parent of an upperclassman: Luke Fickell would excite me because at the end of the day he’s at Cincinnati. I don’t care if Cincinnati goes undefeated, that’s not a sexy program. You don’t hear people say growing up, “I want to get the job and go to Cincinnati.”

Parent of underclassman: Luke Fickell.

Parent of an underclassman: (Fickell), and the reason why I say that is because for that guy to do what he’s done there with three-stars, no-stars, I’ve watched them play since he’s been a candidate. … They were talking about the D-line and gap integrity. My lord. When they say gap integrity, it’s about being a man, I’m in the weight room every f—— day because I know I got this gap responsibility that’s going to be on my head. And when they did it, the running back goes to the hole and it wasn’t there. When he bounced it, the strong safety lit his *** up because there was no hole there. … It’s just, “I’m going to do my responsibility.” … When you start playing assignment football … it becomes who works the hardest in the weight room, and that determines if they’re going to be in the hunt for national championships.

Parent of an underclassman: I like the coach from Cincinnati. He’s winning and he’s proven he can turn programs around. I just like what he’s doing, and he doesn’t have a lot of high-profile names over there and they’re still winning and beating big-time programs. I also like the coach from the Chiefs, (offensive coordinator) Eric Bienemy, and I know if you get a coach from the pros here, (my son) is going to be pro-ready when it’s time.

Parent of an upperclassman: I’m more of a pro coach, like a Herm (Edwards) over there at ASU. Other than the trouble he just got in, I think he kind of sets that tone. He knows what to look for as far as you going to the next level. I’d like to see an NFL guy come in. … Someone who has a pro background.

Parent of an underclassman: Someone established, of course. That’s my only prerequisite. Someone who gives us instant credibility.

Parent of an underclassman: We were spoiled a few years back having a coaching staff like Pete Carroll had. We had a history with Coach O. It’s like, “OK. What has happened?” This man just won a national championship for these guys two years ago and it’s, “What have you done for me lately?” His respect and leadership is to be possibly looked at. We’ve got a lot of people out there right now.

Parent of an underclassman: I think the names they’re talking about are all really exciting. I don’t understand the (James) Franklin hate. I think he’d be great for the program. Franklin, Fickell, (Chris) Petersen, they are all such vast improvements. … You need to take the long view in this. It’s not the quick fix. It’s not just the coach who’s had the good season this year. I would even be interested in (Dave) Clawson from Wake Forest. I don’t necessarily think the biggest name is the best hire for USC. It’s more about qualities.

Parent of an underclassman: I’m not too excited about some of the names at the top of the list because none of them have won the big one. I feel like for the caliber of program USC has and the caliber of expectations there are, you have to have someone who’s a proven winner. When you say who’s won national titles, man, the list is small. I would love to see Urban Meyer. Part of that is a slippery slope too because he brings some shenanigans with him that I don’t necessarily like. But he’s proven he can win, and at the end of the day, if that’s what these kids want is to win a national championship and be a part of that, you have to bring someone in who’s like that.

Parent of an upperclassman: I heard a name come up the other day and I think I’d be really impressed with: Jeff Fisher. He did it at the highest level and he’s an alum. … I would like to see somebody come and give back. And to see these programs like Cincinnati do what they’re doing without the players there. We’re a very talented team, there’s no way we should be playing like we’re playing. Could you imagine if a coach like that came in and had the talent (we) have?

Parent of an underclassman: A coach who has a proven track record. When you see results, that means development. A guy that can take three-star guys and get them to the NFL. A guy who can recruit big names in terms of getting four- and five-star players. To me, a proven guy with a proven system.

Parent of an upperclassman: I don’t even know who’s in the running, but Coach O. I know they’d probably never bring him back and he may never choose to come back, but when everybody saw LSU and that he’s not returning, everybody’s like, “Oh my gosh.”

Parent of an underclassman: Any coach that is gonna maximize these kids’ potential.

Parent of an upperclassman: Luke Fickell or Matt Campbell.

Which potential hire would you be the most lukewarm about?

Parent of an upperclassman: Probably Penn State’s guy, Franklin maybe. I don’t think Penn State wants him there. … If anyone puts any thought into Urban Meyer, I’d probably throw up.

Parent of an upperclassman: At this point I wouldn’t give a damn as long as they were good. We need to go after the best coach this time. Not the best motivator. Not the best rallier. Not the dude who listens (best). We want a dude who has his own brand. We don’t want a robot.

Parent of an underclassman: Lane Kiffin.

Parent of an underclassman: They’re calling these pro coaches who coach in the NFL. I don’t think any one of those guys (would be great) because they’re so far removed from the college game.

Parent of an underclassman: I know they were saying Deion Sanders and I respect his game, but that’s the problem. It’s too much Hollywood. We need to go back to old school.

Parent of an upperclassman: Penn State, Franklin, I don’t know if he would be great for us. That style of football is good for Penn State, but I don’t know if it’s good for USC. It’s a different type of ball.

Parent of an underclassman: Not really. It would have to be someone I know who doesn’t have a winning resume, who doesn’t have the cache to handle the market, the media, the access … a lot of the different things that come with being in Los Angeles. I want it to be someone who is going to be able to captivate the fan base.

Parent of an underclassman: I don’t know enough honestly. If we hire a more defensive-minded coach, then the offensive coordinator becomes very, very important for us.

Parent of an underclassman: I think they’re all the same. No one really stands out to me, they are all sort of equal. You’ve got the Cincinnati coach who’s doing a lot of winning but it’s in an inferior conference. And you’ve got the Penn State coach who’s in a big-time conference but is putting up mediocre numbers.

Parent of an upperclassman: To go back with Lane Kiffin. I mean, what can you say, right?

Parent of an underclassman: James Franklin. I’d be fine with Eric Bienemy because of his NFL pedigree.

Parent of an upperclassman: Urban Meyer.

Parent of an underclassman: All the candidates that have been mentioned have good resumes and have won with less. I also think Donte (Williams) has done OK with the hand he was dealt.

Parent of an upperclassman: James Franklin.
(Photo: John Cordes / Icon Sportswire via Getty Images)

Most parents wanted Fickle. Most parents didn't want Franklin.

And we are probably getting Campbell.

USC’s next head coach: What do players’ parents want? The qualities (and possible candidates) they value most

LOS ANGELES, CA - NOVEMBER 20: USC Trojans linebacker Hunter Echols (31) leads the Trojans onto the field before the start of a college football game against the UCLA Bruins played on November 20, 2021 at the Los Angeles Memorial Coliseum in Los Angeles, CA. (Photo by John Cordes/Icon Sportswire via Getty Images)

By Antonio Morales Nov 23, 2021
comment-icon.png
save-icon.png

LOS ANGELES — USC’s coaching search is now more than two months old, and the expectation is that the process will intensify over the final days of the regular season as the most important characters in this year’s carousel have the opportunity to discuss job openings more directly.

Coaches, administrators and agents will take center stage as the rumors fly and the formal contact begins. Parents have an intriguing seat for the action, as the right hire (or the wrong one) could drastically alter their children’s playing futures. Will they have any say in who USC decides to hire as its next head coach? No. But they watch practices, attend games, build relationships with assistant coaches and know what their kids do and don’t respond well to.

So The Athletic polled 16 parents of current USC players earlier this season to gain some of that perspective: the qualities they believe the Trojans’ next head coach needs, the names they’d be excited about if they were hired and the names they wouldn’t be thrilled to hear. Representing roughly 20 percent of the families with ties to USC’s roster, this survey offers only a glimpse into select parents’ thoughts during late October and early November, before any specific names were connected with the biggest jobs open right now.

Here are their responses, with anonymity granted so that they could speak openly while protecting their sons’ status within the program.

What’s the most important quality the next USC coach should have?

Parent of an upperclassman: Honesty and integrity.

Parent of an underclassman: Someone who knows how to build a program. This is a program with a great base, but we have to rebuild this. It’s not a total ground-up restoration at all. I think this person is going to have to come in and architect this program and completely revamp it. So those organizational skills and ability to do that I think would be No. 1.

Parent of an underclassman: (Clay) Helton had a hell of a quality: He loved his players. He built relationships with his players and I loved that quality in him. But you can’t do that at a USC or Alabama, a powerhouse program that has a rich tradition of winning national championships. You can only do that at mid-majors which know they’re going to go 8-5 and go bowling. There needs to be a commitment to excellence, to win, you’ve got to hold them accountable. … I’m a business owner. I fired my mom. I brought her back, but fired my dad. … The bar is set.

Parent of an underclassman: Leadership skills. A lot of people can teach Xs and Os, but you have to know how to reach the kids. You could sit up there and say, “The mike (linebacker) will do this,” but if you can’t reach the kids, it really doesn’t mean anything. They have to believe in you.

Parent of an upperclassman: The Helton way was a good way as far as dealing with the kids. You ask any of the kids, they loved Helton as far as how he dealt with them. You need a coach who’s willing to look out for your kid. Good or bad, Helton did that. As far as coaching, you need to establish some discipline on this team. There’s no consequences for you dropping a ball. There’s no consequences for you not knowing the playbook. It’s just a subtle discipline, and there needs to be more focus on the task from the coaches and the kids.

Parent of an underclassman: To be honest, I’d rather have a coach who’s an ******* than someone who’s trying to please everybody. Somebody that’s going to be fair that doesn’t shy away from tough conversations.

Parent of an underclassman: Some SC background in terms of understanding and knowing the culture of SC. I don’t say that in a lame way, just an understanding if it’s possible. Stern, a man of his word.

Parent of an underclassman: There are a few. Independence, patience, expectation, accountability and real authentic rigor.

Parent of an underclassman: Certainly someone who has a proven leadership style. … They have to have a proven ability to lead a squad. And you’ve got to be able to take this individualized mindset and you’ve got to get them thinking about the concept of the team, and it’s not just the players, it’s the coaches.

Parent of an upperclassman: A disciplinarian. That’s why you’ve got Alabama doing so well. They’re not afraid to discipline these guys.

Parent of an underclassman: A proven system. … I would like to have a head coach with a proven resume. One that likes to recruit and develops (players). Because as you can see, the head of the snake matters.

Parent of an upperclassman: I think it’s kind of twofold. He needs to be a players’ coach but also a disciplinarian. I know it’s very rare to find that where it’s really effective but I think that would be the most important.

Parent of an underclassman: Leadership and a coach that will grind these kids and develop and get the most out of them. Unfortunately, sometimes you gotta be an ******* to get results.

Which potential coaching hire would excite you the most?

Parent of an upperclassman: I don’t have a name in my head, but I’d love to see a candidate like that Chargers head coach (Brandon Staley). Someone who’s young, invigorated with knowledge and an innovative mind and can carry that through the entire organization.

Parent of an upperclassman: Luke Fickell would excite me because at the end of the day he’s at Cincinnati. I don’t care if Cincinnati goes undefeated, that’s not a sexy program. You don’t hear people say growing up, “I want to get the job and go to Cincinnati.”

Parent of underclassman: Luke Fickell.

Parent of an underclassman: (Fickell), and the reason why I say that is because for that guy to do what he’s done there with three-stars, no-stars, I’ve watched them play since he’s been a candidate. … They were talking about the D-line and gap integrity. My lord. When they say gap integrity, it’s about being a man, I’m in the weight room every f—— day because I know I got this gap responsibility that’s going to be on my head. And when they did it, the running back goes to the hole and it wasn’t there. When he bounced it, the strong safety lit his *** up because there was no hole there. … It’s just, “I’m going to do my responsibility.” … When you start playing assignment football … it becomes who works the hardest in the weight room, and that determines if they’re going to be in the hunt for national championships.

Parent of an underclassman: I like the coach from Cincinnati. He’s winning and he’s proven he can turn programs around. I just like what he’s doing, and he doesn’t have a lot of high-profile names over there and they’re still winning and beating big-time programs. I also like the coach from the Chiefs, (offensive coordinator) Eric Bienemy, and I know if you get a coach from the pros here, (my son) is going to be pro-ready when it’s time.

Parent of an upperclassman: I’m more of a pro coach, like a Herm (Edwards) over there at ASU. Other than the trouble he just got in, I think he kind of sets that tone. He knows what to look for as far as you going to the next level. I’d like to see an NFL guy come in. … Someone who has a pro background.

Parent of an underclassman: Someone established, of course. That’s my only prerequisite. Someone who gives us instant credibility.

Parent of an underclassman: We were spoiled a few years back having a coaching staff like Pete Carroll had. We had a history with Coach O. It’s like, “OK. What has happened?” This man just won a national championship for these guys two years ago and it’s, “What have you done for me lately?” His respect and leadership is to be possibly looked at. We’ve got a lot of people out there right now.

Parent of an underclassman: I think the names they’re talking about are all really exciting. I don’t understand the (James) Franklin hate. I think he’d be great for the program. Franklin, Fickell, (Chris) Petersen, they are all such vast improvements. … You need to take the long view in this. It’s not the quick fix. It’s not just the coach who’s had the good season this year. I would even be interested in (Dave) Clawson from Wake Forest. I don’t necessarily think the biggest name is the best hire for USC. It’s more about qualities.

Parent of an underclassman: I’m not too excited about some of the names at the top of the list because none of them have won the big one. I feel like for the caliber of program USC has and the caliber of expectations there are, you have to have someone who’s a proven winner. When you say who’s won national titles, man, the list is small. I would love to see Urban Meyer. Part of that is a slippery slope too because he brings some shenanigans with him that I don’t necessarily like. But he’s proven he can win, and at the end of the day, if that’s what these kids want is to win a national championship and be a part of that, you have to bring someone in who’s like that.

Parent of an upperclassman: I heard a name come up the other day and I think I’d be really impressed with: Jeff Fisher. He did it at the highest level and he’s an alum. … I would like to see somebody come and give back. And to see these programs like Cincinnati do what they’re doing without the players there. We’re a very talented team, there’s no way we should be playing like we’re playing. Could you imagine if a coach like that came in and had the talent (we) have?

Parent of an underclassman: A coach who has a proven track record. When you see results, that means development. A guy that can take three-star guys and get them to the NFL. A guy who can recruit big names in terms of getting four- and five-star players. To me, a proven guy with a proven system.

Parent of an upperclassman: I don’t even know who’s in the running, but Coach O. I know they’d probably never bring him back and he may never choose to come back, but when everybody saw LSU and that he’s not returning, everybody’s like, “Oh my gosh.”

Parent of an underclassman: Any coach that is gonna maximize these kids’ potential.

Parent of an upperclassman: Luke Fickell or Matt Campbell.

Which potential hire would you be the most lukewarm about?

Parent of an upperclassman: Probably Penn State’s guy, Franklin maybe. I don’t think Penn State wants him there. … If anyone puts any thought into Urban Meyer, I’d probably throw up.

Parent of an upperclassman: At this point I wouldn’t give a damn as long as they were good. We need to go after the best coach this time. Not the best motivator. Not the best rallier. Not the dude who listens (best). We want a dude who has his own brand. We don’t want a robot.

Parent of an underclassman: Lane Kiffin.

Parent of an underclassman: They’re calling these pro coaches who coach in the NFL. I don’t think any one of those guys (would be great) because they’re so far removed from the college game.

Parent of an underclassman: I know they were saying Deion Sanders and I respect his game, but that’s the problem. It’s too much Hollywood. We need to go back to old school.

Parent of an upperclassman: Penn State, Franklin, I don’t know if he would be great for us. That style of football is good for Penn State, but I don’t know if it’s good for USC. It’s a different type of ball.

Parent of an underclassman: Not really. It would have to be someone I know who doesn’t have a winning resume, who doesn’t have the cache to handle the market, the media, the access … a lot of the different things that come with being in Los Angeles. I want it to be someone who is going to be able to captivate the fan base.

Parent of an underclassman: I don’t know enough honestly. If we hire a more defensive-minded coach, then the offensive coordinator becomes very, very important for us.

Parent of an underclassman: I think they’re all the same. No one really stands out to me, they are all sort of equal. You’ve got the Cincinnati coach who’s doing a lot of winning but it’s in an inferior conference. And you’ve got the Penn State coach who’s in a big-time conference but is putting up mediocre numbers.

Parent of an upperclassman: To go back with Lane Kiffin. I mean, what can you say, right?

Parent of an underclassman: James Franklin. I’d be fine with Eric Bienemy because of his NFL pedigree.

Parent of an upperclassman: Urban Meyer.

Parent of an underclassman: All the candidates that have been mentioned have good resumes and have won with less. I also think Donte (Williams) has done OK with the hand he was dealt.

Parent of an upperclassman: James Franklin.
(Photo: John Cordes / Icon Sportswire via Getty Images)

Most parents wanted Fickle. Most parents didn't want Franklin.

And we are probably getting Campbell.

But Franklin is so good

It's crazy being a fan of USC, UF, and TCU while being a huge fan of the current and future playoff teams. Very proud of both sets of teams. Really happy that my Gators will get a HANDSOME coach next.
Gonna be a sad day when our huskies rehire Sark doe 😔

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom