OFFICIAL 2021 NBA PLAYOFF THREAD - YAWNIST WITH THE CLOSEOUT 50 PIECE - BUCKS WITH FIRST CHIP SINCE ‘73 - CP0 LOSES AGAIN

Status
Not open for further replies.
Those other teams in the finals are built around Steph Curry and Lebron James, 2 of the greatest offensive players we will ever see.

It’s not that defense doesn’t matter. It does. It’s that a certain type of defense is no longer valuable deep in the playoffs.

You cannot play drop coverage in the playoffs. IMO you just can’t. The remaining offenses are way too good.

You’re best defensive players also have to contribute on offense. If the opposing team is going small, Gobert has to make the 6’5” players PAY. He has to seal and score easy buckets around the rim. A high percentage hook or something. Anything. At least try.

They had to take Simmons off the floor because hack-a-Ben ****s up the entire flow and rhythm of the offense every time.

Prime Dwight was every bit the defensive player Rudy was (he was better tbh) but he was also giving you like 20-30 points a night. You can win with that. The magic would’ve won with that + surrounding him with shooters until they ran into Kobe Bryant.

The days of playing defensive players who can’t contribute anything to offense and expecting to win a ring are over.

Not disagreeing with this at all, the opposite is obviously true on offense as well & it's proven constantly in the playoffs.

You are not going to win anything of significance if you can't get stops/have a few players who can contest & agitate star players.

Ben's scoring ability in a nutshell.

giphy.gif

So hack a Ben instead of defend him?

Definitey gotta be something more to it. Maybe it's cause hes Australian idk. Almost everyday folks in here are rewording the same nonsense about him. It's like if people came in here everyday to complain about kyrie irving not being a shot blocker. Doesn't make any sense u guys are clearly infatuated with the man for one reason or another.
Hacking him IS defense. Putting him on the line where there's only a 30% chance of him earning ONE point is the best defense you can play.

So hack a Ben instead of defend him?

Definitey gotta be something more to it. Maybe it's cause hes Australian idk. Almost everyday folks in here are rewording the same nonsense about him. It's like if people came in here everyday to complain about kyrie irving not being a shot blocker. Doesn't make any sense u guys are clearly infatuated with the man for one reason or another.

He played last night and was awful. I don’t care where he’s from. We are going to talk about him.

I still don't quite understand the two minute rule change with free throws. On the one hand, I definitely don't want to watch that stuff at the end of close games.

On the other hand, if you shot like 55% or better from the line it wouldn't be an issue. The rule change basically applies to like 3 dudes at any one time.

Those other teams in the finals are built around Steph Curry and Lebron James, 2 of the greatest offensive players we will ever see.

It’s not that defense doesn’t matter. It does. It’s that a certain type of defense is no longer valuable deep in the playoffs.

You cannot play drop coverage in the playoffs. IMO you just can’t. The remaining offenses are way too good.

You’re best defensive players also have to contribute on offense. If the opposing team is going small, Gobert has to make the 6’5” players PAY. He has to seal and score easy buckets around the rim. A high percentage hook or something. Anything. At least try.

They had to take Simmons off the floor because hack-a-Ben ****s up the entire flow and rhythm of the offense every time.

Prime Dwight was every bit the defensive player Rudy was (he was better tbh) but he was also giving you like 20-30 points a night. You can win with that. The magic would’ve won with that + surrounding him with shooters until they ran into Kobe Bryant.

The days of playing defensive players who can’t contribute anything to offense and expecting to win a ring are over.
Well put. NOBODY is saying defense is irrelevant or doesn't matter. You at least have to be somewhat competent at that end, which is why I don't think a team like the Hawks could realistically win a title as presently constructed, even under these circumstances.

Iso scoring is the single most important thing to playoff basketball though. The league's best offensive players are barely getting slowed down, let alone "stopped" by the best defensive players in the league. Just is what it is.

And at some point we have to start putting blame on coaches/ guards for not taking advantage of these small ball lineups.

There's no reason guys like Rudy & Brook Lopez are being guarded by guys 6'8 & down & instead of trying to get them the ball in the post players are taking contested stepback jumpers.

Not disagreeing with this at all, the opposite is obviously true on offense as well & it's proven constantly in the playoffs.

You are not going to win anything of significance if you can't get stops/have a few players who can contest & agitate star players.

I agree but all I heard about Trae is that he’s too small and he won’t be able to do it in the playoffs because other teams will make him pay on offense.

I have yet to see it. Ben Simmons and Thybulle aren’t torching the Hawks backcourt. The Knicks didn’t have anybody to torch Trae. Reggie Bullock wasn’t doing it.

I can hide elite offensive players on defense.
I can’t hide elite defensive players on offense.

Ok I'll rule out Australia as a reason. Guess I gotta learn more about the guy cause yall clearly got a crush :lol:. It reminds me of when I used to come in here and folks are discusing stpeh currys wife 24/7. Now that I understand many of you think steph is God it makes more sense. Bad free throwing shooting from an under 60 % career shooter so we gotta talk about it lol yall looking for any reason:lol:

Sixers didn’t turn down the trade. The Rockettes did because Tillman is petty

Ben was basically told “you outta here”. This ain’t on Philly believing in Simmons to say no

mitchell misses hitting rudy with a lob or drop off at least 3 times a game. Sometimes he scores anyway but he really cant see or make some passes

And at some point we have to start putting blame on coaches/ guards for not taking advantage of these small ball lineups.

There's no reason guys like Rudy & Brook Lopez are being guarded by guys 6'8 & down & instead of trying to get them the ball in the post players are taking contested stepback jumpers.
It's making the game harder to watch when adjustments a youth league coach would make are being ignored. Makes me think it really is all about stats analytics incentives and fantasy sports nowadays.

Ok I'll rule out Australia as a reason. Guess I gotta learn more about the guy cause yall clearly got a crush :lol:. It reminds me of when I used to come in here and folks are discusing stpeh currys wife 24/7. Now that I understand many of you think steph is God it makes more sense. Bad free throwing shooting from an under 60 % career shooter so we gotta talk about it lol yall looking for any reason:lol:

You right. Let’s talk about furkan krokmaz

Well put. NOBODY is saying defense is irrelevant or doesn't matter. You at least have to be somewhat competent at that end, which is why I don't think a team like the Hawks could realistically win a title as presently constructed, even under these circumstances.

Iso scoring is the single most important thing to playoff basketball though. The league's best offensive players are barely getting slowed down, let alone "stopped" by the best defensive players in the league. Just is what it is.

Yup. This is why I kind of question the lakers direction in the future. Playing 2 bigs in the playoffs is putting yourself at a major disadvantage. Could they have won with 2 bigs if AD didn’t get hurt? Sure, they probably could have.

But if I’m an opposing team, anytime AD is sharing the floor with a center, I’m happy as ****. I’d be absolutely terrified of Ad/Bron at the 5/4 surrounded by shooters. That’s the lineup that the Lakers should be aiming to optimize. Not AD at the 4 with elite defense around him. The league is trending the completely opposite way.

There's zero chance that Morey would've turned down any opportunity to get Harden that didn't include moving Embiid. His whole philosophy is that you need 3 elite guys, or at least 2 and then piece the 3rd guy together. Some sort of Simmons-based trade would've given him that.

Fritatta just didn't want to deal with him.

I agree but all I heard about Trae is that he’s too small and he won’t be able to do it in the playoffs because other teams will make him pay on offense.

I have yet to see it. Ben Simmons and Thybulle aren’t torching the Hawks backcourt. The Knicks didn’t have anybody to torch Trae. Reggie Bullock wasn’t doing it.

I can hide elite offensive players on defense.
I can’t hide elite defensive players on offense.

That's more on coaching & personnel IMO. Trae can't guard a soul & for whatever reason neither coach has made him pay for it consistently. That was an overwhelming talking point in the Knicks series & it's the reason Ben Simmons is getting slandered today. Same Reason bud should be FIRED for not attacking James Harden on one leg.

Two way players >>>>> Unless you are cool with individual awards & 2nd round exits... Which a lot of this thread is usually ecstatic about so i get it

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom