OFFICIAL 2022-2023 COLLEGE FOOTBALL THREAD

Status
Not open for further replies.
True but to be fair things have been going in my favor for a while now. We haven't lost a regular season game in 2 years now

I see Tennessee getting a lot of love so I think it's an easy opportunity to cash in. I'm surprised the number of people who genuinely believe Tennessee is going to win this game.
Exactly my point lol. So you’re not going out on a limb with the first statement.

You should lay a ton of cash on the number with Vegas if you’re that sure 👀

Illinois defense has allowed 3 TD passes and has 15 interceptions. That’s nuts

I’ve been watching a lot more B1G football than I have in the past and they look good. I was a little surprised to see them at 16, I would’ve expected them to be ranked above Utah.

I wonder where they’d be ranked without the loss to Indiana. That loss was not a good look.

I’ve been watching a lot more B1G football than I have in the past and they look good. I was a little surprised to see them at 16, I would’ve expected them to be ranked above Utah.

I wonder where they’d be ranked without the loss to Indiana. That loss was not a good look.

Yeah that indiana game was mind blowing and the officials screwed them pretty badly on a touchdown that got overturned :smh:

Is Hugh Freeze a candidate for Auburn? With his previous ties to the AD I can see it but can also see if that AD didn’t want him.

I don’t know why Lane would go there. He’s got a good thing at ole miss and once the playoff expands it’ll be a lot easier for him to make it instead of starting from scratch at auburn

Forgot he got that extension just the other day. Surely if Auburn wanted him they’d offer more than that though right? Granted it’s a dumpster fire right now and he’d have to rebuild

Forgot he got that extension just the other day. Surely if Auburn wanted him they’d offer more than that though right? Granted it’s a dumpster fire right now and he’d have to rebuild
You'd think they'd offer more, but does potentially making a little more money offset the risk of whatever's next if/when Auburn gets frustrated and fires you?

Feels like I can sit comfy at Liberty, wait for something more stable/secure to pop up, and not have to deal with all the headaches for what might soon be the 5th or 6th best job in its own division.

The political equivalent at this point of “See, I have black friends!” :smh:

Strong "my African American" vibes here with Pearl. For years I thought he was black, wasn't till pretty recently I found out he's white.

Freeze making a guaranteed 40 mil over the next 8 years with no pressure has me seeing him staying unless somebody come crazy

Totally depends on your personality. We've seen plenty of coaches leave Good, low pressure jobs in order to win at the highest level. Most of these top head coaches have humongous egos and want to compete against the best on an even playing field. We already saw that Freeze is willing to do anything to win, I think you would jump at the opportunity to get a high level SEC job. I'm just not sure if Auburn is a high level SEC job right now.

When you look at Auburn, you can make the case that they are in middle of the pack SEC team. When you consider talent and coaching, Auburn is behind:

Georgia
Alabama
Tennessee
LSU
Texas A&M
Ole Miss

Then you have Florida who might be getting their act together and teams like Arkansas that are currently better than Auburn.

Auburn is closer to being a Kentucky, Mississippi State or Kentucky year in and year out than they are to competing for conference titles. a Mississippi State or Kentucky year in and year out than they are to competing for conference titles.

Last edited:
True but to be fair things have been going in my favor for a while now. We haven't lost a regular season game in 2 years now

I see Tennessee getting a lot of love so I think it's an easy opportunity to cash in. I'm surprised the number of people who genuinely believe Tennessee is going to win this game.
Outside of an opening game against a Clemson team that we found out that was rebuilding last year, who exactly of note that was realistically competing for a playoff spot at the minimum has Georgia played in the last two regular seasons? When they played a legit contender in the conference title game (Bama) we all saw what happened.

Strong "my African American" vibes here with Pearl. For years I thought he was black, wasn't till pretty recently I found out he's white.
Wait, you did? I wonder if other people did too. Thought everyone knew he was a Jewish white guy.

Totally depends on your personality. We've seen plenty of coaches leave Good, low pressure jobs in order to win at the highest level. Most of these top head coaches have humongous egos and want to compete against the best on an even playing field. We already saw that Freeze is willing to do anything to win, I think you would jump at the opportunity to get a high level SEC job. I'm just not sure if Auburn is a high level SEC job right now.

When you look at Auburn, you can make the case that they are in middle of the pack SEC team. When you consider talent and coaching, Auburn is behind:

Georgia
Alabama
Tennessee
LSU
Texas A&M
Ole Miss

Auburn is closer to being a Mississippi State or Kentucky year in and year out than they are to competing for conference titles. a Mississippi State or Kentucky year in and year out than they are to competing for conference titles.

Auburn will be behind OU and Texas soon too. Sure, they’re both having a down year but they have more talent and resources IMO. If I’m Lane, I’m good on the Auburn job.

Georgia
Alabama
Tennessee
LSU
Texas A&M
Ole Miss

Auburn is closer to being a Mississippi State or Kentucky year in and year out than they are to competing for conference titles. a Mississippi State or Kentucky year in and year out than they are to competing for conference titles.

Auburn will be behind OU and Texas soon too. Sure, they’re both having a down year but they have more talent and resources IMO. If I’m Lane, I’m good on the Auburn job.
This is kind of what I was getting at ...

It's not an easy job that comes with prying eyes, opinions, too many cooks in the kitchen - and they're probably not as financially deep in the pockets as most of those other programs, either.

You add Oklahoma and Texas and things start to look wildly dicey depending on what the SEC does with scheduling, divisions, pods, etc.

Outside of an opening game against a Clemson team that we found out that was rebuilding last year, who exactly of note that was realistically competing for a playoff spot at the minimum has Georgia played in the last two regular seasons? When they played a legit contender in the conference title game (Bama) we all saw what happened.

You're right, we haven't played that many great teams in last couple of regular seasons. We beat many ranked teams though. You can only beat who's on your schedule.

We did beat a currently top 10 Oregon team by almost 50 at the beginning of this season, and blew the doors off of Michigan in the playoff game.

Me too. It seems like Lane Kiffin has a good handle on the boosters at Ole Miss and they are in alignment with what Lane wants to do as well as what's realistically achievable at a school like Ole Miss.

Not only does Auburn play in the SEC West but they're crossover opponent is Georgia so in many years Auburn is playing against three of the best teams in the nation (Georgia, LSU, Alabama) and the Auburn fan base expect them to be competitive year in and year out.

Lane can make a similar money at Ole Miss without half of the expectations. If Lane has a complete dumpster fire season in 2023 his job won't be on the line.

If you’re looking at purely resumes and not factoring preseason rankings, is it really that farfetched that Tennessee is #1 based on what’s on paper right now? Even though Georgia is probably a better team in that matchup, Tennessee has a fairly significant resume edge at this point.

Tennessee for sure should be number 1 based off resume, it’s just funny seeing the #1 team an 8.5 point underdog. UGA should be number 2 IMO.

The laughable ones are LSU at #10 when they’ve lost to an unranked FSU and blown out by Tennessee. Their best win is Ole Miss (who has beaten who?) If they’re ranking teams based off resume then LSU has no business being 10 nor does Bama have any business being ahead of TCU. Bama has zero ranked wins and lost to the only ranked team they’ve played (granted it was a last second field goal but still)

Then again the rankings mean nothing at this point and it’s for ratings. Now you get Bama with a top ten matchup in prime time on ESPN. The cover 3 podcast said it best that after the top 6, most of the rankings they do are used to justify their top 6 choices. All about ratings and $$$
My understanding is that while they use resume through the first 8-9 weeks as a guide, they will re-rank the teams each week. It's a bit redundant, because technically all of the polls are supposed to be this, but what you're seeing is the order of who they think the top teams are.

Tennessee is #1 because the CFP committee believes they are currently the best team in the country. Their resume is a guide to coming to that conclusion but Bama not beating a ranked team doesn't matter if in the CFP committee's opinion they have played like the 6th best team.

In theory, next week UGA could be #1 and the top 4 is shuffled and so on.

End of the day you can win a national championship at Auburn. You can't win one at Ole Miss, Kentucky, Liberty, or any of the other jobs listed. We've seen people try. Kiffin is close to the ceiling of what's capable at Ole Miss just as Freeze was and Stoops is at Kentucky.

That's why the coaches of those schools would jump.

If you want to consider a dark horse for lulz: Dan Lanning.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom