OFFICIAL 2022-2023 COLLEGE FOOTBALL THREAD

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know quarterback gets the majority of the attention but Clemson's offensive line and skilled position players aren't great either.

People forget that Georgia Tech is one of the worst teams in the P5 (Georgia and Notre Dame beat Tech by a combined 100-0 last season) and the fact that they were hanging with Clemson late into the third quarter should be troubling to them. I think Clemson takes another step back this season and goes 9-3

West coast insider said last night that clemson doesn’t want to bench DJ and really want (need?) him to work out. The sentiment has been that DJ was supposed to be a sure thing and so benching him would hurt their recruiting, especially on the west coast. His struggles are being used as an anti clemson offense pitch more than they are being pinned on him and whether he’s a bust or not, the view is it’s Dabo’s fault for not figuring it out.

Interesting idea.

The receiving school certainly wouldn't be happy with this arrangement, knowing beforehand that they're going to spend years developing a player only to have him transfer back. In this scenario SDS you would require some type of compensation other than just having a 3-star player.

Also, the dynamics in a sport are different. Soccer players are still under contract and are collecting a salary from their home franchise, college kids aren't under contract. If a player wants to gain experience or want to change of scenery, why not just transfer? Why obligate yourself to returning? Also, in some cases the school may not want the player back after 2-3 years at a lower level, especially if they don't develop.
I think the lower level school wouldn’t be part of the decision making but they would benefit from receiving, for a short while at least, a player of a talent level that they otherwise wouldn’t have access to.

She’s dead *** right about all of it.

The idea the more teams having a chance to play meaningful late-season games makes the regular season less meaningful is nonsense.

I’ve even seen people try to argue it bastardizes conference titles.

It’s just a silly argument.

Obviously the PAC isn’t completely out of it yet, they’ve still got USC, UCLA, Oregon, and Utah left. They’re actually one of the more balanced conferences out there but the problem they’ve had is they don’t have an elite team (or two) that’s head and shoulders better than the rest of the conference and as strong as everyone else’s top 2. I mean their two highest ranked teams just got beat in week one. Oregon flat out embarrassed and Utah losing to an unranked Florida with a first year coach (I think Florida will be better than people think this year). Nobody was expecting Oregon to win but to come out and lose 49-3 isn’t a good look at all.

There’s too much football to completely rule them out but are people really THAT wrong for saying that about a conference that hasn’t made the playoff in 5 years?

Last edited:
I think the lower level school wouldn’t be part of the decision making but they would benefit from receiving, for a short while at least, a player of a talent level that they otherwise wouldn’t have access to.

Sounds good in theory or in a video game but wouldn't work in real life. There's too much of a coaching fraternity for big time coaches to screw over small time coaches like that. Also, eventually the small-time teams would complain to their conference commissioners and put rules in place.

This would also make it impossible for smaller teams to manage their roster. "I was expecting this guy to be my starting right tackle but he already had a deal in place to go back to Texas AM.

Also 18-year-olds having clandestine plans with their prior school doesn't seem likely. Coaches would snuff it out pretty quick.

West coast insider said last night that clemson doesn’t want to bench DJ and really want (need?) him to work out. The sentiment has been that DJ was supposed to be a sure thing and so benching him would hurt their recruiting, especially on the west coast. His struggles are being used as an anti clemson offense pitch more than they are being pinned on him and whether he’s a bust or not, the view is it’s Dabo’s fault for not figuring it out.

This doesn't really make much sense to me. If anything, Susan even bigger indictment on DJ because the prior QBs have worked out and he is being given a very long leash. If this is a general "Dabo can't develop QBs" argument that I get it (although I don't agree with it). But thinking that it's on Dabo to "fix" DJ is wild and reeks of entitlement. Quarterbacks bust all the time, I don't think it hurt Clemson that Hunter Johnson didn't work out lol

Sounds good in theory or in a video game but wouldn't work in real life. There's too much of a coaching fraternity for big time coaches to screw over small time coaches like that. Also, eventually the small-time teams would complain to their conference commissioners and put rules in place.

This would also make it impossible for smaller teams to manage their roster. "I was expecting this guy to be my starting right tackle but he already had a deal in place to go back to Texas AM.

Also 18-year-olds having clandestine plans with their prior school doesn't seem likely. Coaches would snuff it out pretty quick.
Only way I could see it working is JUCO - where some of these types of under-the-table agreements already kind of exist.

Just got done listening to the CFB nerds and they brought up a very good point. People's often say that the FCS football has things figured out with their playoff format but they fail to mention that the same team has won 9 out of the last 11 FCS national championships.

Making a player field larger isn't going to give us any different winners, it's just going to give the same small group of teams multiple mulligans in the regular season and still providing them an opportunity to make the playoffs.

If you want different teams winning, you should want a smaller field instead of a larger field. Look how many different BCS champions we had as opposed to CFP champs.
The FCS doesn't have everything figure out. Majority of those teams in the FCS playoffs said they lose money by participating. That's why the two HBCU conferences came together and created the Celebration Bowl.

7A3235BE-9260-4DDA-8D95-DA8E296BB3AE.jpeg

Shedeur Sanders really a P5 QB playing in the SWAC
Thee I love!!! It wasn't just Sanders that got the job done though. Jackson State has an incredible list of receivers that know how to get open. Not to mention the fact that Coach Prime had Shadeur practicing with Michael Vick right before this game took place. Most p5 coaches cant even get you that type of access. Hell he even had Warren Sapp make pop up to teach the linemen.
FAMU on the other hand had access to Ocho Cinco, but that wasn't enough to help them based on the score. I'm shocked to see a blow out like this as FAMU is one of the most talented squads in the SWAC.

Sounds like something West Coast schools would feed to people to try and affect recruiting :lol:

Well just look at Clemson outside of the years they had Lawrence and Deshaun and you’ll get your answer

She’s dead *** right about all of it.

The idea the more teams having a chance to play meaningful late-season games makes the regular season less meaningful is nonsense.

I’ve even seen people try to argue it bastardizes conference titles.

It’s just a silly argument.

Give me a comes down to one question: What is the point of the postseason format?

The whole point of going from the mythical national championship era, to the BCS to the college football playoff was in order to find the best system to crown a national champion. I think that the 4 playoff does that the best.

At some point the narrative shifted from "What system does the best job of crowning the national champion?" to "how do we become more inclusive and keep more teams engaged throughout the season".

We all know that the 5-12 seeds aren't really going to have a chance to win a national champion but I guess they get to feel good about themselves for making the playoffs? I guess the fans also win because we just get to watch more "meaningful" postseason games? 🤷🏿‍♂️

I'm a Georgia fan, we were the first team left out in 2018 and 2019 and you know what? I'm perfectly fine with that because you had our opportunities and we blew it. We didn't deserve another shot to play for a national championship.

I gave DJ a C+ for last night. Would have been a B/B- had his teammates (WR's) gave him more help instead of dropping some nice throws.

It was encouraging for me but also frustrating in the sense that I don't think they are using him correctly. You can tell he's healthier this year based on how he runs. I'm just not a fan of running the RPO to death. Its predictable but part of that is on DJ. DC's aren't scared. Can I get a play action, just once?

I think as long as they keep winning, DJ is safe. The players, and most of the coaches, want DJ to be the guy.

We haven't seen the WR group for Clemson be this bad. Its not good when Beaux Collins is your best WR. Love him but he's not #1 type, especially for Clemson. And the right side of the OL was atrocious. I think the RT is a freshmen?

Overall, encouraging. I had my shirt off the entire game.

I gave DJ a C+ for last night. Would have been a B/B- had his teammates (WR's) gave him more help instead of dropping some nice throws.

It was encouraging for me but also frustrating in the sense that I don't think they are using him correctly. You can tell he's healthier this year based on how he runs. I'm just not a fan of running the RPO to death. Its predictable but part of that is on DJ. DC's aren't scared. Can I get a play action, just once?

I think as long as they keep winning, DJ is safe. The players, and most of the coaches, want DJ to be the guy.

We haven't seen the WR group for Clemson be this bad. Its not good when Beaux Collins is your best WR. Love him but he's not #1 type, especially for Clemson. And the right side of the OL was atrocious. I think the RT is a freshmen?

Overall, encouraging. I had my shirt off the entire game.

I think Clemson's schedule may give them a false sense of security. They don't play that many good teams and I can totally see them going 11-1 with DJ just playing "okay" the entire season. They would be in for a wake up call against Georgia, Alabama or OSU. I think it's in their best interest to get Cade ready but I understand that there's more politics involved.

Give me a comes down to one question: What is the point of the postseason format?

The whole point of going from the mythical national championship era, to the BCS to the college football playoff was in order to find the best system to crown a national champion. I think that the 4 playoff does that the best.

At some point the narrative shifted from "What system does the best job of crowning the national champion?" to "how do we become more inclusive and keep more teams engaged throughout the season".

We all know that the 5-12 seeds aren't really going to have a chance to win a national champion but I guess they get to feel good about themselves for making the playoffs? I guess the fans also win because we just get to watch more "meaningful" postseason games? 🤷🏿‍♂️

I'm a Georgia fan, we were the first team left out in 2018 and 2019 and you know what? I'm perfectly fine with that because you had our opportunities and we blew it. We didn't deserve another shot to play for a national championship.

I’ve watched Ohio state finish 5th like 2 or 3 times and never had a problem with it, they weren’t one of the 4 best. I was fine with expanding to 6/8 but 12 is just kinda dumb but it is what it is. Most years there aren’t 6 teams good enough to win a Natty against the top 2. With that being said, I’m sure some years I’m sure it’ll benefit my team in making it in as a team outside the top 4. I’m not sure why people think it’s going to help middling teams in recruiting though. Those top recruits are still going to go to the Georgia’s and Alabama’s of the world over a program who made the playoff 2 years in a row as a 7 seed and got washed. Oh well it will be exciting as it’s more football. It benefits the teams who can’t finish in the top 4 usually more than anyone so it’ll be cool to see some new teams at the end

I’ve watched Ohio state finish 5th like 2 or 3 times and never had a problem with it, they weren’t one of the 4 best. I was fine with expanding to 6/8 but 12 is just kinda dumb but it is what it is. Most years there aren’t 6 teams good enough to win a Natty against the top 2. With that being said, I’m sure some years I’m sure it’ll benefit my team in making it in as a team outside the top 4. I’m not sure why people think it’s going to help middling teams in recruiting though. Those top recruits are still going to go to the Georgia’s and Alabama’s of the world over a program who made the playoff 2 years in a row as a 7 seed and got washed. Oh well it will be exciting as it’s more football. It benefits the teams who can’t finish in the top 4 usually more than anyone so it’ll be cool to see some new teams at the end

I agree. In most years, we can barely find four qualified title contenders, this is why we see so many blowouts in the CFP semifinal games. Personally, I don't think watching Georgia, Alabama, Clemson and Ohio State skull drag the Pitts and Michigan States of the world is going to help lesser teams close the recruiting gap. If anything, it will just make it more apparent how much better the good teams are then the lesser teams.

Look at last season for example, in the BCS era the national title game would have been Alabama versus Michigan, This probably would have been a better outcome for Michigan than having to play a semi-final game where they lose by 30 to a lower seeded, but more talented SEC team. Do you think getting blown out by Georgia helped Michigan's recruiting?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom