Votes: 77 3.3%
  • Kentucky

Votes: 19 0.8%
  • Neutral Grey

Votes: 32 1.4%

• Total voters
?

1683739411584.png
This is great info. All I’m saying the golden era was a great time, and it’s really perspective that makes people appreciate what once was. Things were easier to get, and what you got was worth it.

This is great info. All I’m saying the golden era was a great time, and it’s really perspective that makes people appreciate what once was. Things were easier to get, and what you got was worth it.
How could things be easier to get when there were fewer releases, FCFS/campouts, and less stock produced overall?

Maybe the select releases you want nowadays (I.e. let’s say Chi 1s for an example) are harder but overall retros are MUCH easier to attain nowadays. Nobody has to go walking through a mall for GR releases and, even better than that, the sheer number of releases let’s have actual options with the models we want.

As someone who has been purchasing Jordan retros since 2002, I’ll never understand the nostalgia goggles for that time period aside from the fact that the vast majority of us had less money back then so we valued individual releases more. The early 2000s for retros was nothing special otherwise, JB has vastly improved from those days overall (yes a lot of modern retros are trash quality but, again, there are far more releases and # of pairs produced). Hell even the packaging is significantly better nowadays lol

Now OGs Nike released during the 80s and 90s that MJ played in? Completely different story because the shoes were built for actual performance usage (with different polymers, etc. used in the midsoles, higher quality leathers, and even different sized air units, for example). People who have ever played basketball in OG 6s vs basically any retro of them will easily tell you how much better the OGs felt lol

How could things be easier to get when there were fewer releases, FCFS/campouts, and less stock produced overall?

Maybe the select releases you want nowadays (I.e. let’s say Chi 1s for an example) are harder but overall retros are MUCH easier to attain nowadays. Nobody has to go walking through a mall for GR releases and, even better than that, the sheer number of releases let’s have actual options with the models we want.

As someone who has been purchasing Jordan retros since 2002, I’ll never understand the nostalgia goggles for that time period aside from the fact that the vast majority of us had less money back then so we valued individual releases more. The early 2000s for retros was nothing special otherwise, JB has vastly improved from those days overall (yes a lot of modern retros are trash quality but, again, there are far more releases and # of pairs produced). Hell even the packaging is significantly better nowadays lol

Now OGs Nike released during the 80s and 90s that MJ played in? Completely different story because the shoes were built for actual performance usage (with different polymers, etc. used in the midsoles, higher quality leathers, and even different sized air units, for example). People who have ever played basketball in OG 6s vs basically any retro of them will easily tell you how much better the OGs felt lol
How were they easier to get? They sat on shelves and were in outlets in droves for discount. Besides the XIs, anything you wanted was there to obtain, unlike today you’d have to obtain through a lottery.

Early 2000s were special, because it was a product targeted towards a demographic of us shoeheads; there weren’t resellers yet that were buying at the bulk creating an artificial mark up. We didn’t have today’s Jordan brand literally creating tiers of SKUs on the Jordan 1s alone, targeted at different masses with us being screwed over by the higher pricing because they ‘recrafted to original aesthetic spec’. Leather used back then is marked up now because how saturated the market it.

It’s a mess nowadays, we can barely obtain what we WANT; hence why I called it the golden era. Again, I’m not just comparing the quality and price, it WAS the experience as a whole, THE ERA.

How were they easier to get? They sat on shelves and were in outlets in droves for discount. Besides the XIs, anything you wanted was there to obtain, unlike today you’d have to obtain through a lottery.

Early 2000s were special, because it was a product targeted towards a demographic of us shoeheads;
So having less options as a customer is a BETTER thing?

Completely disagree there.

Also, they are easier to get because there are literally far more places to buy them. Even with resellers, I don’t need to pull up with a gun and wad of cash in a sketchy mall parking lot to buy from the secondary market-I can simply go to eBay/StockX/GOAT. Even with StockX’s recent issues, the risk of fakes is probably still better lol

So having less options as a customer is a BETTER thing?

Completely disagree there.

Also, they are easier to get because there are literally far more places to buy them. Even with resellers, I don’t need to pull up with a gun and wad of cash in a sketchy mall parking lot to buy from the secondary market-I can simply go to eBay/StockX/GOAT. Even with StockX’s recent issues, the risk of fakes is probably still better lol
Bro honestly I’m so lost with your stance right now. Fine I can’t have my golden era are you happy??? Like I literally just mentioned that time being my golden era, and many can agree, but I guess your the baron 🙄

You mention you’ll never understand the nostalgia goggles on a forum built on RETRO shoes. It’s all nostalgia!

You mention you’ll never understand the nostalgia goggles on a forum built on RETRO shoes. It’s all nostalgia!
No because the VAST majority of people buying retros nowadays aren't old heads in their 40s-50s who watched prime MJ play, it's younger kids who see their favorite rappers/athletes/celebs wearing retros and also seeing their friends/influencers wear them. There is no nostalgia there for them, it's all new!

My point about nostalgia goggles wasn't even about that, it is about b.s. "good ole days" type nonsense where this message of "retros were cheap and easy to get!" You know what the funny part is? Retros were cheapest during the Adidas/Yeezy heyday of 2015-2017 when influencers/resellers were pushing Adidas/Yeezy. You could literally get almost every release on sale at various retailers and outlets would even ship to you. I easily purchased 100+ pairs during this run, mostly on massive discounts. Hell, the vast majority of my DS OG AJ1 collection to this day is from this time period. Even the absolutely most hyped cws were not reselling for much over $300 during that time-I literally picked up DS SBB 2.0s right after release for $250 lol Breds and SBB 1.0s were the only ones that went for solid money right after release, even Royals and Black Toes somehow bricked.

No because the VAST majority of people buying retros nowadays aren't old heads in their 40s-50s who watched prime MJ play, it's younger kids who see their favorite rappers/athletes/celebs wearing retros and also seeing their friends/influencers wear them. There is no nostalgia there for them, it's all new!

My point about nostalgia goggles wasn't even about that, it is about b.s. "good ole days" type nonsense where this message of "retros were cheap and easy to get!" You know what the funny part is? Retros were cheapest during the Adidas/Yeezy heyday of 2015-2017 when influencers/resellers were pushing Adidas/Yeezy. You could literally get almost every release on sale at various retailers and outlets would even ship to you. I easily purchased 100+ pairs during this run, mostly on massive discounts. Hell, the vast majority of my DS OG AJ1 collection to this day is from this time period. Even the absolutely most hyped cws were not reselling for much over $300 during that time-I literally picked up DS SBB 2.0s right after release for $250 lol Breds and SBB 1.0s were the only ones that went for solid money right after release, even Royals and Black Toes somehow bricked.
Bro what are you cooking???? This is totally not what I’m talking about lol. So you’re telling me in 2016, the last time the white cement IVs and black met Vs were released, were sitting FSR in the outlets at discount? Nvm outlets at discount, at FSR in store??? Because this was the golden wra I was referring to in 99-01, you can literally go to the outlets and see a FSR at discount, implying that these sat at retail for months! And this was like this for many retros at the time.

Again I have to preface this, there was an opportunity to purchase a now coveted colorway you wanted at a price affordable (accessibility), w/ the materials provided (quality), with a shape so gorgeous (craftsmanship). This all equates to a golden experience that’s unlike the situation today.

I gotta move on, we’re totally cooking different things here. The original premise was a convo on the 01s and how that particular retro holds a special place in some of us, and how its distinct features makes it a unique retro. That’s all. You’ve def hit a gold mine if you were able to obtain most things you wanted in 2015, but the situation wasn’t the same for me. I was either hitting on retail or paying resale at that time.

Bro what are you cooking???? This is totally not what I’m talking about lol. So you’re telling me in 2016, the last time the white cement IVs and black met Vs were released, were sitting FSR in the outlets at discount? Nvm outlets at discount, at FSR in store??? Because this was the golden wra I was referring to in 99-01, you can literally go to the outlets and see a FSR at discount, implying that these sat at retail for months! And this was like this for many retros at the time.

Again I have to preface this, there was an opportunity to purchase a now coveted colorway you wanted at a price affordable (accessibility), w/ the materials provided (quality), with a shape so gorgeous (craftsmanship). This all equates to a golden experience that’s unlike the situation today.

I gotta move on, we’re totally cooking different things here. The original premise was a convo on the 01s and how that particular retro holds a special place in some of us, and how its distinct features makes it a unique retro. That’s all. You’ve def hit a gold mine if you were able to obtain most things you wanted in 2015, but the situation wasn’t the same for me. I was either hitting on retail or paying resale at that time.
Yes, those 4s and 5s actually hit outlets-this was the era where you could call and get them shipped so people on NT,Twitter, and even r/sneakers would share locations of outlets and what stock they had (honestly I think the workers were the ones initially posting). I literally copped my 5s and Bord 7s on discount that way. I even had my fav phone outlet in NJ that I would hit up (shoutout to the dude Jay who worked there if you’re on NT btw) on the phone for store orders. I lived in high sales tax location (DC) and wouldn’t pay sales tax from that NJ store and they would ship for free lol Nike has long since banned this practice though since I guess word got on and nobody was going to their outlets.

This was the era of Eastbay/footlocker phone jigs after hyped releases (people even used this to score 2015 Chi 1s) and stacking of F&F and CS rep coupons (you could literally just ask NDC reps for them when you returned something online). I even somehow scored holiday 11s on discount lmao (granted they were 72-9s so not the best cw but I digress):

IMG_6766.jpeg

But you’re right, we were doing completely different things in 2015-2017, apparently. I sure do miss those days but I think the rise of “easy” reselling platforms like GOAT and StockX and hustle culture on social media kinda killed all of this. That said, I’m not sure buying that many sneakers is necessarily always a good thing either.

EDIT: Also shoutout to the NT Nike Outlet Thread gang if any of ya’ll are still on here-those were fun times haha

Last edited:
Yes, those 4s and 5s actually hit outlets-this was the era where you could call and get them shipped so people on NT,Twitter, and even r/sneakers would share locations of outlets and what stock they had (honestly I think the workers were the ones initially posting). I literally copped my 5s and Bord 7s on discount that way. I even had my fav phone outlet in NJ that I would hit up (shoutout to the dude Jay who worked there if you’re on NT btw) on the phone for store orders. I lived in high sales tax location (DC) and wouldn’t pay sales tax from that NJ store and they would ship for free lol Nike has long since banned this practice though since I guess word got on and nobody was going to their outlets.

This was the era of Eastbay/footlocker phone jigs after hyped releases (people even used this to score 2015 Chi 1s) and stacking of F&F and CS rep coupons (you could literally just ask NDC reps for them when you returned something online). I even somehow scored holiday 11s on discount lmao (granted they were 72-9s so not the best cw but I digress):

IMG_6766.jpeg

But you’re right, we were doing completely different things in 2015-2017, apparently. I sure do miss those days but I think the rise of “easy” reselling platforms like GOAT and StockX and hustle culture on social media kinda killed all of this. That said, I’m not sure buying that many sneakers is necessarily always a good thing either.

EDIT: Also shoutout to the NT Nike Outlet Thread gang if any of ya’ll are still on here-those were fun times haha
That’s insane, you copped those Mfers? I have used this service a few times through Twitter. They’d literally have agents tracking down the style code and size, and have them shipped to you from the outlets :lol: . I got a few shoes this way like under the radar models like footscapes and stuff, but never like coveted retros. Hey man big ups that’s a crazy come up on your end, I kinda wish that service was still up but if may have blown up.

IMG_6766.jpeg

Absolutely hated when they’d stop taking phone orders. You could call your local Nike store and they could tell you which stores in the country had your item too.

That’s insane, you copped those Mfers? I have used this service a few times through Twitter. They’d literally have agents tracking down the style code and size, and have them shipped to you from the outlets :lol: . I got a few shoes this way like under the radar models like footscapes and stuff, but never like coveted retros. Hey man big ups that’s a crazy come up on your end, I kinda wish that service was still up but if may have blown up.
Where were you in the NT Outlet thread in 2015-2017 my guy??? Seriously, so many good memories of ooping ppl stock info, etc. so they could do phone/mail orders. Where I lived and worked in DC at that time, I didn’t have a car so I remember taking the metro and bus to the DC Ivy City Nike Outlet (RIP) to do some recon and found multiple FSRs of TB3s and Aqua 8s on like 30% disco-I only copped one of each but I definitely hooked peeps up on that one lol

Damn, I really miss those days, felt like we were all working together to squeeze deals out of Nike… Gonna need Adidas to come back strong so we have some semblance of this again LOL

Where were you in the NT Outlet thread in 2015-2017 my guy??? Seriously, so many good memories of ooping ppl stock info, etc. so they could do phone/mail orders. Where I lived and worked in DC at that time, I didn’t have a car so I remember taking the metro and bus to the DC Ivy City Nike Outlet (RIP) to do some recon and found multiple FSRs of TB3s and Aqua 8s on like 30% disco-I only copped one of each but I definitely hooked peeps up on that one lol

Damn, I really miss those days, felt like we were all working together to squeeze deals out of Nike… Gonna need Adidas to come back strong so we have some semblance of this again LOL

Remember getting some black/white racers by phone, those were the times lol. Also multiple Royal 1’s through shiekh’s. You could always call around to multiple outlets and they’d ship to you.

I was broke and in college at the time. Only shoes I copped were the OG 1 lows since they sat, and all were sitting long enough to hit the sale racks. But I was stunting on school grounds ahead of time lol. Mfers prolly had no clue what I was wearing :lol:

I definitely scored some good nike retro models through Nike’s DM. Those agents tho…. They’re probably now working government jobs with that A1 service

I was broke and in college at the time. Only shoes I copped were the OG 1 lows since they sat, and all were sitting long enough to hit the sale racks. But I was stunting on school grounds ahead of time lol. Mfers prolly had no clue what I was wearing :lol:
Ah I feel you, I had graduated a few years prior but yeah I still can’t believe I copped Chi 1 lows for like $60. I am kicking myself for not copping multiples because those are going for stupid amounts of money now. Oh well, hindsight is 20/20, as it goes.

I can say I started coping heavy around 01'-02' but I remember not having money like I do now and having no idea when shoes were coming out. I usually found out to late cause I could never find my size. I remember traveling by bus to every store I knew of and had money to get to and I couldn't find any of the 01' 1's in size 11 at the time. Not finding my sz in the OG Flint 13 was a heartbreaker as well. I remember using slow *** dial up to find any info I could. It was an era that had some of my favorite retros like 99'4's and 00'-02' 6's but it's way easier to get pairs now. Now we get better presentation, shape and quality as a whole for the most part than back in the day. I miss the hunt a little bit sometimes as it's so easy now if you have the money and info at your fingertips literally with your phone. But having so many shoes in the collection now and little room, also not wearing them as much as I want I can't get excited for every release as I once did.

Last edited:
Yes and you could still count the solid retro 1s on your hand with the ones you listed.

Ironically, you have also furthered my point here-more retro releases (esp. OG cws with Nike Air) is another sign of a clearly better retro era. I know gatekeepers and people who hoard crumbling retros from previous eras hate this but this is the truth.
What are you talking about?

You can count all the retro ones that release that timeframe on one hand. If 9/10 were good then it’s a good era.

Back
Top Bottom