• UNC

Votes: 77 3.3%
  • Kentucky

Votes: 19 0.8%
  • Neutral Grey

Votes: 32 1.4%

• Total voters
No one said this was the case.
I think people are suggesting that the current state of the company is just a temporary slump and that Nike and/or JB is so far ahead of the competition that they’ll be able to course correct before the other major companies can catch up or surpass them.

…and that’s never a guarantee.

I think people are suggesting that the current state of the company is just a temporary slump and that Nike and/or JB is so far ahead of the competition that they’ll be able to course correct before the other major companies can catch up or surpass them.

That’s the thing, you have to be a dope to look at actual sales data and see how anyone else catches up, let alone surpasses them, without the entire market contracting at Nike’s expense. They’re doubling adidas who is in a worse position at the moment. None of these companies are gaining an additional 2-3B in annual sales to catch up

I understood what's being said but I think a lot of guys are speaking figuratively and trying to say Nike/JB is in a creative slump because financially Nike/JB is doing fine.

That’s the thing, you have to be a dope to look at actual sales data and see how anyone else catches up, let alone surpasses them, without the entire market contracting at Nike’s expense. They’re doubling adidas who is in a worse position at the moment. None of these companies are gaining an additional 2-3B in annual sales to catch up
it would have to be the perfect storm of events.

1. Transcendent athlete…MJ

2. All time great designer…Tinker

3. Visionary leader/marketer…Uncle Phil

Those three things don’t come around very often, but when they do, it’s a game changer.

…it’ll happen at some point.

it would have to be the perfect storm of events.

1. Transcendent athlete…MJ

2. All time great designer…Tinker

3. Visionary leader/marketer…Uncle Phil

Those three things don’t come around very often, but when they do, it’s a game changer.

…it’ll happen at some point.
Nah even that would do it at this point. You don’t see the difference between an immature market and a fully developed one. We haven’t seen more than a handful of models from any company break through in the past decade. Almost every one of them is moving more retro product than fresh models. Even an athlete like MJ wouldn’t be transcendent today until they win the titles. And marketing and commercials aren’t making billions of dollars of difference in a mature market.

Last edited:

Do y'all agree?

Edit: I think they're wylin... Rookie of the years are way better than the mochas to me. They should switch spots.

They also just laid off 1600 ppl in February to cut costs. Is that to be ignored or is that something?

they couldn’t even spell obsidians correctly. They need to be higher. Mochas lower possibly out of top 10. Rookie of the years don’t really do much for me.

They’re struggling with growth, not sales. This is what I’m talking about being brainwashed by wall st. A company that tripled their sales from a decade ago and is now only hitting modest growth isn’t in any financial difficulty. You’re feeding the lie.

Like trappedintime trappedintime just pointed out, the stock and revenue are two different things. Please understand what you're reading before posting.
Wasn’t 1970s-80s Adidas basically where Nike is now in terms of dominance in the sportswear market? I don’t think Nike is struggling like can’t pay the bills but I do think they’re in trouble. Their problem is going to be a consistent erosion of market share because they’re missing out on a full generation of customers that have no loyalty to the brand. That happened because they completely stopped innovating.

Do any of the signature shoes ever make a splash anymore? I would argue that nobody has really cared at all about a signature line since Kobe was playing.

Think about the 90s. You had Jordan, obviously and people couldn’t wait for the next model to come out. But you also had the Penny and Barkley lines in the early-mid 90s pushing the more tech heavy or radical designs. You also had a lot of awesome non-sig models being worn by the second tier guys like Pip, Kidd, Garnett, Duncan etc. Those were exciting times. Now we always know exactly what we’ll get from the next LeBron/KD/Ja etc. It’ll be a low top cheap-to-manufacture fabric upper with a swoosh on the side and zero casual appeal.

Lamelo Ball has a better signature shoe than anyone on Nike.

Wasn’t 1970s-80s Adidas basically where Nike is now in terms of dominance in the sportswear market? I don’t think Nike is struggling like can’t pay the bills but I do think they’re in trouble. Their problem is going to be a consistent erosion of market share because they’re missing out on a full generation of customers that have no loyalty to the brand. That happened because they completely stopped innovating.

Do any of the signature shoes ever make a splash anymore? I would argue that nobody has really cared at all about a signature line since Kobe was playing.

Think about the 90s. You had Jordan, obviously and people couldn’t wait for the next model to come out. But you also had the Penny and Barkley lines in the early-mid 90s pushing the more tech heavy or radical designs. You also had a lot of awesome non-sig models being worn by the second tier guys like Pip, Kidd, Garnett, Duncan etc. Those were exciting times. Now we always know exactly what we’ll get from the next LeBron/KD/Ja etc. It’ll be a low top cheap-to-manufacture fabric upper with a swoosh on the side and zero casual appeal.

I like this comment minus the Lamelo comment just to be clear…eww :lol:

Last edited:
Again, this isn’t specific to Nike. You can look at what’s selling for Adidas, and even NB, ASICS, and Saucony and they’re all moving retro models way more than new product. The only companies succeeding with truly new products are Hoka, ON and Solomon. And when you look at market share they’ve barely chipped single digits off.

But no, 70’s Adidas doesn’t resemble 2020’s Nike outside of market share.

Eh AE’s and Hardens have been moving pretty well over their retros. AE’s probably would have moved quite a bit more if they weren’t initially an Adidas/FTL/Champs exclusive and all retail chains were able to sell them.

You're the second person to mention Adidas reigning supreme in the 80s, I never said or alluded to anything about being "too big to fail" so I'm not sure why you guys keep attributing that sentiment to me lol. Even using the Adidas analogy is bad imo because Adidas hasn't failed they just aren't number 1 anymore. I was speaking solely in terms of revenue, Nike/JB is killing the competition. Every problem you claim Nike has can be said for all the other big brands as well. If Nike is "struggling" then what are the other guys doing? g-time g-time my bad I didn't see your original comment but Nike is a public company which means they suffer from the same thing that all other publicly traded companies which is that they are slaves to the shareholders. Instead of lowering salaries, these companies tend to do mass layoffs to appease the shareholders. Same thing happened with Apple a year or two ago despite them having a stranglehold on the cell phone market. It doesn't mean they are failing it just means they aren't growing at a rate that satisfactory to the market/shareholders. I think things are just leveling out. A lot of companies showed unrealistically high and unsustainable due to COVID.

You're the second person to mention Adidas reigning supreme in the 80s, I never said or alluded to anything about being "too big to fail" so I'm not sure why you guys keep attributing that sentiment to me lol. Even using the Adidas analogy is bad imo because Adidas hasn't failed they just aren't number 1 anymore. I was speaking solely in terms of revenue, Nike/JB is killing the competition. Every problem you claim Nike has can be said for all the other big brands as well. If Nike is "struggling" then what are the other guys doing? g-time g-time my bad I didn't see your original comment but Nike is a public company which means they suffer from the same thing that all other publicly traded companies which is that they are slaves to the shareholders. Instead of lowering salaries, these companies tend to do mass layoffs to appease the shareholders. Same thing happened with Apple a year or two ago despite them having a stranglehold on the cell phone market. It doesn't mean they are failing it just means they aren't growing at a rate that satisfactory to the market/shareholders. I think things are just leveling out. A lot of companies showed unrealistically high and unsustainable due to COVID.
I think it’s also has something to do with the loss they might be taking from the various retail chains once they announced a more direct to consumer approach though too.

Nike's direct revenues earned from consumers during the quarter also took a major hit, declining 8% year-over-year, while the company's total revenue shrunk by 2%. During a recent earnings call, Nike CEO John Donahoe attributed the company's weaker quarter performance to declines in its lifestyle shoe product.

That’s from an article at the end of June.

Retros are considered lifestyle shoes by Nike by the way.

May not be a big hit per se, but it’s eye opening enough for them to supposedly want to make changes.

I think it’s also has something to do with the loss they might be taking from the various retail chains once they announced a more direct to consumer approach though too.

Nike's direct revenues earned from consumers during the quarter also took a major hit, declining 8% year-over-year, while the company's total revenue shrunk by 2%. During a recent earnings call, Nike CEO John Donahoe attributed the company's weaker quarter performance to declines in its lifestyle shoe product.

That’s from an article at the end of June.

Retros are considered lifestyle shoes by Nike by the way.

May not be a big hit per se, but it’s eye opening enough for them to supposedly want to make changes.
Good looks on the source. Yeah the COVID run got to their heads, I remember when someone first posted the article detailing the direct to consumer strategy and it made no sense to me then. I guess it's biting them in the butt.

Good looks on the source. Yeah the COVID run got to their heads, I remember when someone first posted the article detailing the direct to consumer strategy and it made no sense to me then. I guess it's biting them in the butt.
Article says they’re expecting a 10% decline this next quarter which is about 3X’s more than what they projected.

Article says they’re expecting a 10% decline this next quarter which is about 3X’s more than what they projected.
Well I guess this explains them bringing out so many heavy hitters in 2025. I think they need to also bring in some new blood in design department for the signature lineups...

Sidenote, if you're into stocks then now's the time to buy.

K Kierris excuse me for not taking anything
Like trappedintime trappedintime just pointed out, the stock and revenue are two different things. Please understand what you're reading before posting.

Did you even read the article?

“$27.5 billion. That’s how much market value Nike lost Friday. That’s a massive chunk of the total market capitalization of the next-largestathletic wear companies, Adidas ($43 billion valuation) and Lululemon ($38 billion).”

“Nike has also dealt with an apparent decline in interest in its products—its global search volumes have been down year-over-year constantly dating back to last July, and were down about 10% last month, according to Goldman Sachs research. “Rising competition” in the athletic apparel and footwear space “doesn’t help” either, noted Jefferies analysts led by Randal Konik, naming newer entrants like Alo and Hoka as threats to Nike’s market dominance. Nike stock is trading at its lowest price-to-sales valuation since 2013, indicating diminishing investor confidence in the Oregon-based firm’s ability to grow its profits.”

K Kierris excuse me for not taking anything

Did you even read the article?

“$27.5 billion. That’s how much market value Nike lost Friday. That’s a massive chunk of the total market capitalization of the next-largestathletic wear companies, Adidas ($43 billion valuation) and Lululemon ($38 billion).”

“Nike has also dealt with an apparent decline in interest in its products—its global search volumes have been down year-over-year constantly dating back to last July, and were down about 10% last month, according to Goldman Sachs research. “Rising competition” in the athletic apparel and footwear space “doesn’t help” either, noted Jefferies analysts led by Randal Konik, naming newer entrants like Alo and Hoka as threats to Nike’s market dominance. Nike stock is trading at its lowest price-to-sales valuation since 2013, indicating diminishing investor confidence in the Oregon-based firm’s ability to grow its profits.”
Your post is speaking about market value brother. I was speaking on revenue which g-time g-time just provided a more up to date source for, sorry for the confusion.

Even if Nike takes a 3% loss in revenue year over year we’re talking magnitudes of difference between this company hitting a downturn after a historic decade of growth that is still better than any year prior to 2020. That doesn’t spell the end of any company with that kind of market share. It’s a blip outside of the gambling nature of stock buyers. They have an insane $11B in cash on hand.

If Nike or JB is on death’s door right now, I’d love to hear how they weren’t on life support from 2000-2012. What they’ve done in the past decade shames their performance for the previous 50 years. Exponentially.

IMG_0617.png

Back
Top Bottom