• UNC

Votes: 77 3.3%
  • Kentucky

Votes: 19 0.8%
  • Neutral Grey

Votes: 32 1.4%

• Total voters
i got a really good question

why did nike make so many colorways of the 1 but every other model for a long time after had only 4-6 colorways each?

Last edited:

why did nike make so many colorways of the 1 but every other model for a long time after had only 4-6 colorways each?
Probably after they wholesale discounted all the 1s back in the day and the next shoe was like the equivalent of Waterworld the movie.

Last edited:

That's actually a pretty good question. I'd like to hear an answer for it as well.

My personal thoughts are that it might have something to do with the 1s resemblance to the Nike Dunk, which had a bunch of colors from the gate, so it was less of an original silhouette and therefore less of a stretch to sell new colors. Meanwhile, the other models were pretty much original designs so they wouldn't want to pump out 10 colorways for a new model and have only 4 do well. 

Just my two cents though. Probably wrong as hell, haha. 

Last edited:
I think they realized a Home, away, a UNC color, and a fashion/lifestyle (something trendy like crazy pattern or wacky colors.) shoe would be just fine. No real need for them to make 10 shoes when you can have the bulls colored game worn pairs with one or two extras. Military 4, Grape 5, Sport Blue 6, Bordeaux 7, and Aqua 8 seemed like the fashion/lifestyle/Non traditional colors that probably had a smaller market than the bulls colors back then.

Last edited:
check your local Nike outlet! Copped 2 pairs the other day for $69.97... come to find out today the shoe had an extra 30% off.... went back and price adjustment...

Came out to $40ish a pair

Just copped a pair for $44.07 for my brother in law. I wish I had held off to cop for myself at this price.

I know the 1 was specifically designed to facilitate a wide variety of colorblocking. Maybe on the original launch of all the colorways they realized too many would cause pairs to sit. So they decided to limit colorways on all the subsequent models.

dog I'm so hurt right now

I had 3 pairs locked but missed on all of em taking a gamble on getting the satins and didn't land them either

not so lowkey pissed

Quote:
Originally Posted by NikeOtaku  

Well gents the bad luck streak continues. Struck out on footsite reserves, 30 something shiekh raffles, 2 NikeLA draws, 2 Snkrs draws (1 took hours to stop saying pending). No luck on unclaimed pairs  at two Shiekhs in the morning, and Footaction, Champs, and Footlocker in-store re-raffle. Gave it my best shot. 

mean.gif
was really hopin to secure multiples to help out fam, but couldnt even eat myself. pretty disappointing, but aint no doubt we'll eventually get ours. patience something something virtue.
Thanks brother, same here. Hopefully we can score in the near future, best case is retail but hopefully resale isn't too out of hand and we can catch a good deal. 

That's actually a pretty good question. I'd like to hear an answer for it as well.

My personal thoughts are that it might have something to do with the 1s resemblance to the Nike Dunk, which had a bunch of colors from the gate, so it was less of an original silhouette and therefore less of a stretch to sell new colors. Meanwhile, the other models were pretty much original designs so they wouldn't want to pump out 10 colorways for a new model and have only 4 do well. 

Just my two cents though. Probably wrong as hell, haha. 

The ESPN 30 for 30: Sole Man literally explains all of this... Dunks and AJ 1s were given to schools and teams for free to be seen "on court." Not everybody could wear Chicago Bulls cws because of strict uniform regulations so team cws were developed.

Last edited:
The ESPN 30 for 30: Sole Man literally explains all of this... Dunks and AJ 1s were given to schools and teams for free to be seen "on court." Not everybody could wear Chicago Bulls cws because of strict uniform regulations so team cws were developed.
unc, Kentucky, and what else?

dog I'm so hurt right now

I had 3 pairs locked but missed on all of em taking a gamble on getting the satins and didn't land them either

not so lowkey pissed

There's plenty of mediocre retros that are sitting that you could buy.. It's not like you don't have any other shoes you could buy.

can you use a ftl/fta reward, then return the shoes that you bought to earn the intial reward? how does that work
example..bought a men's and gs pair today and earned a $20 reward. can i use the $20 reward, then return the gs pair

Last edited by a moderator:
can you use a ftl/fta reward, then return the shoes that you bought to earn the intial reward? how does that work
example..bought a men's and gs pair today and earned a $20 reward. can i use the $20 reward, then return the gs pair
wouldn't that be called fraud?

Maybe I'm different, but if I strike out on a shoe, Buying a different shoe that I probably didn't want anyway just because it's cheaper and available at that moment seems wild to me. I just think that I should keep my $160 and add money on top, to cop resell because I wanted that shoe and nothing else. Not knocking anyone, I just don't get(agree) with the consolation prize mentality.

It's my opinion of course

Last edited:
Maybe I'm different, but if I strike out on a shoe, Buying a different shoe that I probably didn't want anyway just because it's cheaper and available at that moment seems wild to me. I just think that I should keep my $160 and add money on top, to cop resell because I wanted that shoe and nothing else. Not knocking anyone, I just don't get(agree) with the consolation prize mentality.

It's my opinion of course
I feel the same way but only up until a certain price point. For me that's a max of $350. I did that with the Breds last year.

I feel the same way but only up until a certain price point. For me that's a max of $350. I did that with the Breds last year.
Same. I don't mean add $300 on top of $160. But it really does come down to how much you wanted the shoe in the first place. Royal 1 as a backup for the satin pair makes sense since $350 sounds better than $1000 but Kentucky 1s as backup for Royal 1s will just make me save up the extra $100-$150 for the royals

Back
Top Bottom