::Official ask a Muslim vol. Salaam::

Originally Posted by one1 1 1

mo malik salaam. how are you.

2 questions:

1.what surah or dua do u read in witr prayer?

2. when u r reading Tashahhud do you stop at innaka hameedun majeed. or do u read something after that............

thanks for doing a good job in this post!!

Alhamdulillah Akhi.  And you? Thanks for the encouraging words.

The surah that I read in witr really just depends on the day, but usually small surah's like al-Nas.  I don't have as many surah's as I should have memorized, and I'm working on that iA.

After reading Tashahhud on the final rakat I continue and recite the Salawat.  This is what ends with "innaka hameedun majeed."  This much is obligatory.  Some say one should read a short dua, while others say you can end your salaat here.  I was taught to read rabij alni, but I'm fairly certain that you can end your salaat with the Salawat.  Here is the verse that I end my prayer with.
40. رَبّ

Originally Posted by blacktopking319

what do you think about how extremists intrepret the Qu'ran?? Killing those who dont believe.
Naturally I take extreme offense to it.  My religion has been hijacked by the acts of the few.  And while I can recognize that some isolated verses can be interpreted as violent in nature against non-Muslims, if one were to read the entire Qur'an and just some of more well known Sunnah, no one could come to that conclusion without having some other justification. 

That other justification comes in the form of socio-political factors going back anywhere from 20 to 40 years.  Osama Bin Laden has repeatedly stated that he has done these things because of a few main factors:
-American modern day imperialism in the Middle East
-Unfair and Bias position in the Israel-Palestine conflict
-Support of corrupt dictatorships and regimes

Understanding the conflict with Islamic radicals requires much more than just understanding Islam.

Originally Posted by blacktopking319

what do you think about how extremists intrepret the Qu'ran?? Killing those who dont believe.
Naturally I take extreme offense to it.  My religion has been hijacked by the acts of the few.  And while I can recognize that some isolated verses can be interpreted as violent in nature against non-Muslims, if one were to read the entire Qur'an and just some of more well known Sunnah, no one could come to that conclusion without having some other justification. 

That other justification comes in the form of socio-political factors going back anywhere from 20 to 40 years.  Osama Bin Laden has repeatedly stated that he has done these things because of a few main factors:
-American modern day imperialism in the Middle East
-Unfair and Bias position in the Israel-Palestine conflict
-Support of corrupt dictatorships and regimes

Understanding the conflict with Islamic radicals requires much more than just understanding Islam.

If you were known to be in a relationship with a christian white girl. Would you be outcasted amongst your community?

If you were known to be in a relationship with a christian white girl. Would you be outcasted amongst your community?

EDIT: 3000
pimp.gif
pimp.gif

Well, I'm done.  If you'd like some sources for better understanding some of the controversies he discusses, I can add links to articles addressing that.  I lost a lot of respect for Sam Harris after this.  I saw his debate with Reza Aslan (you might want to check it out if you have time).  From that I knew he was misinformed, but after this I feel like he is no better than some psuedo scholars like Robert Spencer or Pamela Geller (for those who don't know, these 2 started the Ground Zero Mosque controvercy).  I've added my comments in quotes.  I hope you appreciate it, it took me some time.

The first thing that all honest students of Islam must admit is that itis not absolutely clear where members of al Qaeda, the Taliban,al-Shabab, Lashkar-e-Taiba, Hamas, and other Muslim terrorist groupshave misconstrued their religious obligations.
It is most certainly clear  where they have went wrong, it's just a matter of attempting discourse.  See, if one were to group all these organizations together as 1, then we will fail in understanding them and where their ideology comes from, because they are all different.  The specificity of leadership and socio political factors must be considered when understanding the justification behind their rulings as far as what is right and wrong.  A refusal to acknowledge this is what leads us to our inability to fix the problem i.e. where we are right now.

If they are “extremists

EDIT: 3000
pimp.gif
pimp.gif

Well, I'm done.  If you'd like some sources for better understanding some of the controversies he discusses, I can add links to articles addressing that.  I lost a lot of respect for Sam Harris after this.  I saw his debate with Reza Aslan (you might want to check it out if you have time).  From that I knew he was misinformed, but after this I feel like he is no better than some psuedo scholars like Robert Spencer or Pamela Geller (for those who don't know, these 2 started the Ground Zero Mosque controvercy).  I've added my comments in quotes.  I hope you appreciate it, it took me some time.

The first thing that all honest students of Islam must admit is that itis not absolutely clear where members of al Qaeda, the Taliban,al-Shabab, Lashkar-e-Taiba, Hamas, and other Muslim terrorist groupshave misconstrued their religious obligations.
It is most certainly clear  where they have went wrong, it's just a matter of attempting discourse.  See, if one were to group all these organizations together as 1, then we will fail in understanding them and where their ideology comes from, because they are all different.  The specificity of leadership and socio political factors must be considered when understanding the justification behind their rulings as far as what is right and wrong.  A refusal to acknowledge this is what leads us to our inability to fix the problem i.e. where we are right now.

If they are “extremists

Outcasted?  Definitely not.  Looked down upon by my parents?  Most probably.  I'm of Pakistani descent, and my culture more than my religion would cause that negative perception.

Outcasted?  Definitely not.  Looked down upon by my parents?  Most probably.  I'm of Pakistani descent, and my culture more than my religion would cause that negative perception.

Originally Posted by Mo Matik

Are women looked as being inferior to men, or is that just a misconception?
As Anton Lavey pointed out, this is a touchy subject and will be addressed as such.

Personally I believe it to be a misconception.  Islam acknowledges the differences between Genders while the current Western social norms pretends there aren't any.  But even the West needs to acknowledge the very fundamental differences between men and women in certain areas. 

Explain.

Are women looked as being inferior to men, or is that just a misconception?
As Anton Lavey pointed out, this is a touchy subject and will be addressed as such.

Personally I believe it to be a misconception.  Islam acknowledges the differences between Genders while the current Western social norms pretends there aren't any.  But even the West needs to acknowledge the very fundamental differences between men and women in certain areas. 

Explain.

Do you believe that Jews, Christians and Muslims all believe in the same God with the difference being that they believe in the different prophets? Jesus was a Jew, and Muhammad was enlightened by the Christian/Jewish angel: Gabriel.

Do you believe that Jews, Christians and Muslims all believe in the same God with the difference being that they believe in the different prophets? Jesus was a Jew, and Muhammad was enlightened by the Christian/Jewish angel: Gabriel.

I remember kicking it with my muslim homies in High School and during Ramadan their breathe would be KICKING!
eek.gif

Is there anything yall can do about this?

I remember kicking it with my muslim homies in High School and during Ramadan their breathe would be KICKING!
eek.gif

Is there anything yall can do about this?

Originally Posted by Nike Star Jay

Outcasted?  Definitely not. Looked down upon by my parents?  Most probably.  I'm of Pakistani descent, and my culture more than my religion would cause that negative perception.
This question really isn't about your religion, but: would the way America tends to typecast Islam as having a radical following factor in to why they would probably look down on you as well?

Questions about Islamic religion: why is polygamy allowed? And is the purpose of the hijab to defer lust that can be caused by staring at a woman's hair?

-Absolutely not.  Pakistanis and Indians are strange in that sense in that they aren't big fans of marrying outside of ones culture so to speak.  My parents would find fault with me marrying an Indian Muslim, or an Arab Muslim as well.  It's definitely more cultural than anything.

-Good question.  Before I answer this I really really appreciate everyone's maintenance of the civility in this thread.  You could have asked this question in many different ways, and I thank you for picking this one.

Now as I stated before, marriage is a key and fundamental institution in the framework of Islam.  It's obligatory for everyone who is able to marry, to do so.  Now during the time of Islam, men married 10s of women.  The cap of 4 introduced in Islam was actually considered a big deal.  But at the time women outnumbered men.  The difference in men to women was larger back then because men were in battle. 

But we find that the same divide occurs today, and women currently outnumber men in every part of the world, except for India.  For example, in America according to the 2000 census there are 143.4 million females to 138.1 million males.  That is a lot of females left on their own with no mates.  And the only reason why India has more males to females is because they continue to practice female infanticide in many villages there. 

Polygamy is allowed to accommodate those women who are given the short end of the stick so to speak.  To protect those who would be left out.

So you say, how do I know that it is in this case only?  One must read the stipulations:
...marryof the women, who seem good to you, two or three or four; and if yefear that ye cannot do justice (to so many) then one (only). Thus it is more likely that yewill not do injustice. (3) Andgive unto the women (whom ye marry) free gift of their marriageportions; but if they of their own accord remit unto you a partthereof, then ye are welcome to absorb it (in your wealth). (4) Givenot unto the foolish (what is in) your (keeping of their) wealth, whichAllah hath given you to maintain; but feed and clothe them from it, andspeak kindly unto them. (5)
Quran 4:2
It is highly encouraged that if one does not believe himself to be capable of taking on more than 1 wife, then only keep 1.

Now, in the same Surah, or Chapter, it comes up again later.  This is key.

Whatever good ye do, lo! Allah is ever Aware of it. (127)Ifa woman feareth ill treatment from her husband, or desertion, it is nosin for them twain if they make terms of peace between themselves.Peace is better. But greed hath been made present in the minds (ofmen). If ye do good and keep from evil, lo! Allah is ever Informed ofwhat ye do. (128) Yewill not be able to deal equally between (your) wives, however much yewish (to do so). But turn not altogether away (from one), leaving heras in suspense. If ye do good and keep from evil, lo! Allah is everForgiving, Merciful. (129) But if they separate, Allah will compensate each out of His abundance. Allah is ever All-Embracing, All-Knowing. (130)
Quran 4:126

In the first part says "if ye fear that ye cannot to justice."  It's an acknowledgment of some men having a better capability than others in this regard.  But here it says no man is capable of treating all of his wives equally, and I think it's safe to say as well.  But then it says "But turn not altogether away" meaning, "but try."  This 'trying' only applies to those who feel they can do justice, or at least come close.  It is interpreted as more of a challenge than anything, because one must do his best to keep this equality among his wives for fear of God.

And is the purpose of the hijab to defer lust that can be caused by staring at a woman's hair?
It's really just modesty.  Muslim men and Muslim women are both obliged to dress modestly and cover up so to protect oneself from bad deeds. 

Originally Posted by Nike Star Jay

Outcasted?  Definitely not. Looked down upon by my parents?  Most probably.  I'm of Pakistani descent, and my culture more than my religion would cause that negative perception.
This question really isn't about your religion, but: would the way America tends to typecast Islam as having a radical following factor in to why they would probably look down on you as well?

Questions about Islamic religion: why is polygamy allowed? And is the purpose of the hijab to defer lust that can be caused by staring at a woman's hair?

-Absolutely not.  Pakistanis and Indians are strange in that sense in that they aren't big fans of marrying outside of ones culture so to speak.  My parents would find fault with me marrying an Indian Muslim, or an Arab Muslim as well.  It's definitely more cultural than anything.

-Good question.  Before I answer this I really really appreciate everyone's maintenance of the civility in this thread.  You could have asked this question in many different ways, and I thank you for picking this one.

Now as I stated before, marriage is a key and fundamental institution in the framework of Islam.  It's obligatory for everyone who is able to marry, to do so.  Now during the time of Islam, men married 10s of women.  The cap of 4 introduced in Islam was actually considered a big deal.  But at the time women outnumbered men.  The difference in men to women was larger back then because men were in battle. 

But we find that the same divide occurs today, and women currently outnumber men in every part of the world, except for India.  For example, in America according to the 2000 census there are 143.4 million females to 138.1 million males.  That is a lot of females left on their own with no mates.  And the only reason why India has more males to females is because they continue to practice female infanticide in many villages there. 

Polygamy is allowed to accommodate those women who are given the short end of the stick so to speak.  To protect those who would be left out.

So you say, how do I know that it is in this case only?  One must read the stipulations:
...marryof the women, who seem good to you, two or three or four; and if yefear that ye cannot do justice (to so many) then one (only). Thus it is more likely that yewill not do injustice. (3) Andgive unto the women (whom ye marry) free gift of their marriageportions; but if they of their own accord remit unto you a partthereof, then ye are welcome to absorb it (in your wealth). (4) Givenot unto the foolish (what is in) your (keeping of their) wealth, whichAllah hath given you to maintain; but feed and clothe them from it, andspeak kindly unto them. (5)
Quran 4:2
It is highly encouraged that if one does not believe himself to be capable of taking on more than 1 wife, then only keep 1.

Now, in the same Surah, or Chapter, it comes up again later.  This is key.

Whatever good ye do, lo! Allah is ever Aware of it. (127)Ifa woman feareth ill treatment from her husband, or desertion, it is nosin for them twain if they make terms of peace between themselves.Peace is better. But greed hath been made present in the minds (ofmen). If ye do good and keep from evil, lo! Allah is ever Informed ofwhat ye do. (128) Yewill not be able to deal equally between (your) wives, however much yewish (to do so). But turn not altogether away (from one), leaving heras in suspense. If ye do good and keep from evil, lo! Allah is everForgiving, Merciful. (129) But if they separate, Allah will compensate each out of His abundance. Allah is ever All-Embracing, All-Knowing. (130)
Quran 4:126

In the first part says "if ye fear that ye cannot to justice."  It's an acknowledgment of some men having a better capability than others in this regard.  But here it says no man is capable of treating all of his wives equally, and I think it's safe to say as well.  But then it says "But turn not altogether away" meaning, "but try."  This 'trying' only applies to those who feel they can do justice, or at least come close.  It is interpreted as more of a challenge than anything, because one must do his best to keep this equality among his wives for fear of God.

And is the purpose of the hijab to defer lust that can be caused by staring at a woman's hair?
It's really just modesty.  Muslim men and Muslim women are both obliged to dress modestly and cover up so to protect oneself from bad deeds. 

Back
Top Bottom