Official BBQ thread

First attempt jerk chickens with "indirect heat"

Turned out ok.
Coulda used more char
I love the smokey taste. I'm gonna do this again next weekend...I like this method

Feels like I have a new toy.

20200920_174516.jpg

Tips

1. Char/Blacken First, then move to the indirect side. You create the crust to sear in the flavors. Always sear first. When the chicken is blackened, remove to indirect - SC kid SC kid

2. Keep that Top Exhaust away from the coals, above the meat, so the smoke has to travel to escape from the dome. (See diagram below)

3. Bottom vents stay open, top vents control heat. (Oxygen feeds the first). For good smokes, keep the top vents open like 20%.

1600783729797.png

Last edited:
I've been watching that - exactly the format of bake off and all those other shows but with bbq. Was good fun - made me really hungry though.

My guy Shotgun on the American BBQ show is a straight fool. I love it. He said ‘My goto drink on the grill is Billy D baby colt 45 double malt.’ I was instantly hooked....but...

Chicken again today. Turkey next weekend - my local supermarket is clearing out their premium turkeys - the fancy free range ones. Reduced to $5 so I got one to try. Not really got room to store one until Thanksgiving or Christmas though - it’s in the fridge in my office thawing.
I can’t get a turkey hanger for my Pit Barrel anywhere - so I bought some chain and hooks and I think that it will work. Pictures later.

I been watching too. I really liked the chefs table bbq season too. I would love to try any of those peoples food, especially the Mayan lady down in Yucatán. I bet those tacos are unreal.

I said the same thing. When the show was over I started looking at hotels closest to her

Chicken/turkey hanger ready. I bought 2 types of chain - the thinner one is probably enough but the chunky one will be good for a turkey. Got to use my big bolt cutters for the first time - bit excessive for this but made it easy.
Filed the end off the points of the hooks and squeezed one end a bit narrower for security.
For a turkey I could use both hooks to hold the top too - a chicken will be fine on one though. Basically stick the hook right through the cavity so it’s sitting on the 2 hooks - better than having to pierce it and less risk of falling off.

B61EC33B-6EC7-4ED0-829A-E5E1B131FF8E.jpeg

Smoked a turkey this afternoon. Came out pretty good - I’m just not sure about smoked turkey. The smoke is kind of overpowering.

8F4666DA-E034-4542-84DD-C43BFBA0AF10.jpeg

Would you change how much wood is used and/or the amount of time smoked? Would that change it for you?

I’ma grab one of these brining buckets and practice with a chicken then do something similar for thanksgiving
Need to find a brine or brine recipe that I wanna use
Also I didn’t grow up eating butter so injecting straight butter with a syringe is a little difficult for me :lol: :lol: will probably skip that step

Im gonna use the walk in fridge at work when it’s time to store them overnight, def don’t have enough space at home

edit
Or do something like this

Not sure if I wanna roast or smoke it 🤔

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom