Official BBQ thread

Anyone here have the vortex attachment for the Weber kettle? Wondering if it really makes a difference and if it’s worth getting? Trying to get that crispyness on wings

I have this and it was worth it to me. I found them on Sale @ Lowe's.

Helps me cleanly organize my coals/water pan.

Of course, it isn't NEEDED.

1595427660903.png

Just grilled up some chicken ******* and thighs. First time grilling breasts..Man they took forever (they were thick) and are already kinda dry :lol: .. I’ll stick with thighs on the grill

Just got a vortex so I’m gonna try wings with that next. After that I’m gonna try to smoke a whole bird

Last edited:
Then baby backs 🔥

Just grilled up some chicken ******* and thighs. First time grilling breasts..Man they took forever (they were thick) and are already kinda dry :lol: .. I’ll stick with thighs on the grill

Just got a vortex so I’m gonna try wings with that next. After that I’m gonna try to smoke a whole bird

I know the pain :lol: but def. try breast again

Flattening/tenderizing breast help with an even cook to prevent a dry out. A quick brine can help also

Once you get your color/sear to your liking on the surface wrapping and cooking indirect also help with keeping juices in. I like to do my breast a few degrees before 165 and rest

Then baby backs 🔥

I know the pain :lol: but def. try breast again

Flattening/tenderizing breast help with an even cook to prevent a dry out. A quick brine can help also

Once you get your color/sear to your liking on the surface wrapping and cooking indirect also help with keeping juices in. I like to do my breast a few degrees before 165 and rest

That’s decent advice - but breasts are never going to be as good as thighs no matter what you do. There’s just more flavor in the thighs and they won’t dry out the same.

That’s decent advice - but breasts are never going to be as good as thighs no matter what you do. There’s just more flavor in the thighs and they won’t dry out the same.

g1Jc.gif

I love thighs but I absolutely believe you can achieve an excellent breast on the same level.

You definitely have more room for error given the fat content of a thigh but a perfectly cooked breast is (especially sous vide)
wow.png

Agreed. Thighs are easily the best piece of chicken to be cooked on an open fire.

g1Jc.gif

I love thighs but I absolutely believe you can achieve an excellent breast on the same level.

You definitely have more room for error given the fat content of a thigh but a perfectly cooked breast is (especially sous vide)
wow.png

I’m not sure about that - sous vide is great for a lot of meat but I don’t get the point with chicken - there’s not enough fat or connective tissue there where the method will do anything - chicken is all about getting it to a safe temperature without drying it out and I’ve never been convinced that the method really makes any difference.
Happy to be proven wrong if someone has done it differently but I’ve never seen sous vide chicken that is any better than it would be grilled at the right temperature.

I’m not sure about that - sous vide is great for a lot of meat but I don’t get the point with chicken - there’s not enough fat or connective tissue there where the method will do anything - chicken is all about getting it to a safe temperature without drying it out and I’ve never been convinced that the method really makes any difference.
Happy to be proven wrong if someone has done it differently but I’ve never seen sous vide chicken that is any better than it would be grilled at the right temperature.

I think there's two benefits I have experienced with it that I don't get with open grilling. More retention of liquid during the cooking process to prevent basically any kind of dry out and the pasteurizing process. Given that you are able to cook it safely for a longer period of time of different temperatures (according to the USDA). I've also gotten a bit better texture in this format due to cooking it safely and not requiring the the magic 162-65 needed for instantaneous kill of any bacteria that is in poultry.

but not here to prove anybody wrong, just my personal experience and not to discourage someone from never grilling a breast again :lol:

That’s a fair point - I use this graph:

3CF4597F-5CDE-46C6-9FA8-8BC7A979B4E7.jpeg

So you could do chicken for 30 minutes at 140° and it would be safe - long cooks apparently do something funny to the texture though - goes mushy I’ve heard.

yeah 140 is a little weird texture wise to me. Some people prefer it but 150-155ish has been what I've liked personally. You still get a softer texture and the stringiness that we're used to in poultry

Breasts are a lot more work than thighs but, you can absolutely keep them moist over direct heat. I normally turn them every couple of minutes, especially if theyre thicker. To me, it keeps the outside from cooking too fast.

Just got a black stone and it’s technically not a grill...but my next buy is definitely gonna be a traeger of some sort...pros cons?

Just got a black stone and it’s technically not a grill...but my next buy is definitely gonna be a traeger of some sort...pros cons?
Don't have a Traeger but do have a pellet grill.

Pros are easily the convenience of setting and forgetting it without worrying of temp spikes. Set a temp and you're good and mines stays within 5 degrees of what I set it to

Maintenance upkeep is pretty easy. Shop Vac helps with cleaning up all the ash faster

Cons- Some ppl say they don't get as much smoke flavor as you would usually get from a traditional grill/smoker. It is sometimes more mild than ppl prefer but you can always get a smoke box or tube for that (but this adds a step to the convenience factor)

Lack of charcoal flavor is a con imo. While you still get great food I still prefer charcoal and wood on an offset/bge/weber/ect.

and unless it has a sear box that exposes the direct flame I personally don't like them for high temp grilling. Will be hard to get good sear with one

Last edited:
Don't have a Traeger but do have a pellet grill.

Pros are easily the convenience of setting and forgetting it without worrying of temp spikes. Set a temp and you're good and mines stays within 5 degrees of what I set it to

Maintenance upkeep is pretty easy. Shop Vac helps with cleaning up all the ash faster

Cons- Some ppl say they don't get as much smoke flavor as you would usually get from a traditional grill/smoker. It is sometimes more mild than ppl prefer but you can always get a smoke box or tube for that (but this adds a step to the convenience factor)

Lack of charcoal flavor is a con imo. While you still get great food I still prefer charcoal and wood on an offset/bge/weber/ect.

and unless it has a sear box that exposes the direct flame I personally don't like them for high temp grilling. Will be hard to get good sear with one

The Green Mountain pellet grills reach 550 for searing...

Back
Top Bottom