OFFICIAL COMIC BOOK THREAD

UA3 was CRACK. it's pretty much all fighting after the first few pages. Red Skull begins his takeover in NYC...things get real interesting when Thor & Wolverine enter the battles in the streets

No way. Marvel Now >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> New 52. Marvel is always a lot better than DC.

On another note am i the only one who feels weird picking up comics with a female lead if i dont like the version with the male? For instance i think Supergirl is raw but I hate superman. I feel weird asking for the supergirl paperback.
Nah not really. I read Batwoman and don't care for Nightwing, Red Hood, Red Robin in Titans, or Batgirl.

Never been drawn to Superman either, I only check him when a famous writer that I like writes him like JMS, Millar, sometimes Morrison, etc and even then as great as those writers are they either have to completely change Superman's character to make him likeable or what's great about the story has nothing to do with Superman it's all the plot and villains. Similar to how I liked watching Smallville.
How is uncanny avengers 3? I got 1 and 2 but I wasnt feeling it. May be too early to make that conclusion though
**** got dark. I'll be happier when Cassaday is gone and Acuna joins (with a Coipel issue in the middle). I'd say maybe a bit too much narration but Remender really set the tone with each mini story of a victim and the overall tone of the riot. Some characterization was corny.unneeded though.

Overall dopeness. I feel had this came out on time or at least double shipped the first few issues like other Marvel NOW! titles then readers would be more engaged.

Last edited:
So much Superman hate :lol:

I've read some of the new stuff, but I've always preferred Marvel over DC

If you're not reading Death of the Family :nerd: then idk what you're doing with your life :lol:

It's a batman story arc.
The Joker is back with his cut off face. Taken all of of Batman companions. (Batgirl, night wing....) and messing with Batman mind.
It's at about 6 books right now.
Very dark arc. Honestly probably anything better than DC or Marvel are doing right now.

It's a batman story arc.
The Joker is back with his cut off face. Taken all of of Batman companions. (Batgirl, night wing....) and messing with Batman mind.
It's at about 6 books right now.
Very dark arc. Honestly probably anything better than DC or Marvel are doing right now.
I'll check this out

this is a discussion board let's discuss why superman is such trash.
I'll start first. then the next person add

1. overpowered

Yeah I highly doubt it'd be a war even if all the superman fanboys entered this thread. If we're looking for discussion it's just difference in taste but I doubt I'd see a whole lot of thought out legit reasons for why supes is an interesting character.

Yeah I highly doubt it'd be a war even if all the superman fanboys entered this thread. If we're looking for discussion it's just difference in taste but I doubt I'd see a whole lot of thought out legit reasons for why supes is an interesting character.

1. overpowered

This is NT, everyone knows a discussion turns into an ugly and non-nonsensical argument argument and eventually finger pointing where a positive thread becomes corrupted. No need to even bother trying that in this thread, Superman has been bashed enough it plenty of other threads.

1. overpowered

This is NT, everyone knows a discussion turns into an ugly and non-nonsensical argument argument and eventually finger pointing where a positive thread becomes corrupted. No need to even bother trying that in this thread, Superman has been bashed enough it plenty of other threads.
Eh I doubt it. Everybody in here has been level headed with discussion, it's not like we couldn't focus on the topic for a few posts and move on. Not like a whole bunch of other ignorant posters are gonna invade this thread and chime in but w/e if you don't want to do it if you think it'll be more war than discussion.
2. Not interesting in any way.
3. Most stupid weakness.
I will say when it comes to #3 I hated it when it seemed like other super powered characters were being created and also had some dumb weakness.

It's why I like the analogues and much more interesting parallels like Prime, Sentry, Mr. Majestic, Supreme, etc. When you look at in certain ways it's really like you took Captain America and gave him unlimited power. Of course DC was never known for making damaged characters, that's a Marvel thing but one thing that hurts Supes for me is his character more times than not being interesting to me.

Last edited:
4. Not relatable in any way
A huge appeal to me in comic books is somewhat relatable characters. Thats why I like Marvel, with their "damaged" characters. Stan Lee was genius when he "invented" that concept. Hell everyone laughed at the idea of spiderman when he made the character because that is the most damaged of all superheroes, now it seems to be the trend.

I just finished the carnage USA arc and loved it. I just hate the Flash Thompson Venom. Venom is in my top 3 of characters in marvel and the Flash version kills him

4. Not relatable in any way
A huge appeal to me in comic books is somewhat relatable characters. Thats why I like Marvel, with their "damaged" characters. Stan Lee was genius when he "invented" that concept. Hell everyone laughed at the idea of spiderman when he made the character because that is the most damaged of all superheroes, now it seems to be the trend.

this.
back stories help and if u take Cap. Americas to Supes....incomparable.

this man was seen morning planets in one book. reversing time in another by spinning earth another way. moving a mountain..but then struggling to lift a car/bus in another. the inconsistencies are just mind blowing.

I'm sure there has been good stories.but I'd personally not waste my time

im also not saying others havent been inconsistent. but you take batman and its been consistent with great stories since the beginning imo

Last edited:
To be clear Cap wasn't created by Stan Lee, he just brought him back and added back story to make him have a bit more depth. In the golden age of comics Cap was comparable to Supes, they were both killing nazis and fighting for the American way of life. Cap was just more of a symbol while Supes was more of a superhero given origin and powers.

I could only imagine if Timely/Marvel had managed to buy the rights for Superman instead of DC (or what would become DC) though :wow: :smokin
I just finished the carnage USA arc and loved it. I just hate the Flash Thompson Venom. Venom is in my top 3 of characters in marvel and the Flash version kills him
You should read the Carnage mini 1-5 that came out before Carnage USA, good read as well.

I happen to like what Remender has done with Flash-Venom and what Bunn is currently going with the character. It seemed to be when they tried to make Venom an anti-hero it always failed and came off way too gimmicky which is why it didn't stick and why others had the symbiote. Plus given what's gone on in Spidey's world makes no sense to currently bring back Brock as Venom in a villain role, plus I hear he's gonna be Toxin for a while now.

this man was seen morning planets in one book. reversing time in another by spinning earth another way. moving a mountain..but then struggling to lift a car/bus in another. the inconsistencies are just mind blowing.

See, this is why it is difficult to argue Superman feats, most people didn't read the comics and just read what Supes did or what he could do. Superman never spun the Earths rotation backwards in the comics, that is only on film and pretty much non-canon. He also rebuilt the great wall of China with his mind in Superman IV but again, film is not canon.

Same can be said about the argument "stupid weaknesses". He has evolved since his first incarnation and has developed several weaknesses. Kryptonite and magic are the main weakness for him and what most people know. But Supes is also weak with a red sun and he gets weaker when the yellow sun he absorbed has depleted. His biggest weakness is also being too good, he would not use his full power or force to kill anyone, even the biggest and baddest villain. People now see this as boring and lame but back then when there were wars being fought and civil rights riots in the streets, the good blue boy scout is what people needed, the good old American way, more on this later. But yes, Superman isn't as one dimensional as most believe or choose to believe. He isn't the hero that just adapts some amazing powers anymore.

I'll say my piece on Superman on why he is interesting.

People only see the over abundance of super powers and being a goody goody but that isn't what Superman is all about.

First of all, he is the first superhero. Without him, none of these other superheroes would likely exist. Superman pretty much started it all, hate it or love it but DC or Marvel would not exist w/o Superman.

He is the most recognizable hero in the whole world even surpassing Michael Jordan. That is a fact.

His origins, an alien baby sent to earth by his parents from a dying planet, it is more sci-fi and futuristic but I like it. There are also more depth in that origins story than most people think and Supes always keeps going back to it. Most say it is a story that has been told many times and it is done so because it is interesting. Why was Krypton exploding? Why choose earth? What if he was sent elsewhere? This has been explored to a point like when Supes was sent to Apocalypse instead of earth or when he landed in Russia instead of the US. It is an interesting origin and the backlash is really just how known it is, the same way most do not want to see Bats parents dying or Peter getting bit by a spider over and over again. But it is original and interesting. Supes parents are "murdered' too depending on how you look at it though.

Superman is an alien but dedicated himself to protecting humans. I don't know how people say they can't relate when 2 Jewish kids made Superman from their experience as kids . Superman is practically the kid being bullied as a kid and gotten stronger and became a success as an adult. Plenty of people could relate to this. He was also ostracized and often hated by the general public because he is different until proving that he is good and that he is on Earth to save people. Now this isn't what is conveyed in the comics all the time because that is an origins that can only be told once or twice, it can't be a year long story every year. The US is one of the most (if not the most) diverse country in the world, Superman is an alien that has to adapt to this world. This is what immigrants can easily relate too, not being accepted.

Another thing to relate to with Superman, he is an orphan. As someone boldly claimed in this thread already, only kids with no sibling likes him and that is understandable (though false) because they can relate to Superman or anyone who might be adapted and found out their parents aren't their real parents.

I actually find Superman more relatable than Batman because not many are billionaires that can has insane gadgets too (shark repellent spray? yeah it's a show so no canon but it's as ridiculous as those Superman film powers). He is human who has struggles and has human weaknesses but Superman also has human emotional weakness (more on that later). Bruce is driven by anger and vengeance and just dark and I don't know many people who can relate to that. Superman is driven by doing what is right and what is good and more people can relate to that more on everyday life.

And admit it or not but if you could have all of Supermans powers, you would. I mean why not? Really? He has a plethora of powers and has developed some insane ones and that is why he is deemed overpowered but again, you are lying to yourself if you can honestly say you wouldn't have his powers. Which leads me to...

Superman also struggles, a lot. As I mentioned earlier he controls himself to not just beat the hell out of a villain, he actually tries to analyze and do what is good and right. He also doesn't just swat his enemies like flies, he has to avoid killing them. Bats has the same philosophy but Bats just happens to do it in a darker way, now this is much "cooler" these days because different generations like different things. Why do you think all movies are trying to be "dark" these days? it's what sells. Supes hasn't succumb to this so to me, that is good. At the end of it, he is still the big blue boy scout. It's easy for strong people to just stomp on anything they see, Supes doesn't do it. That is a characteristic that makes him more 3-dimensional than 1-dimensional. If you had his powers and are a hero, would you really take it easy on Darkseid in fear of killing him? Hell no! People see this as "lame" but it's a characteristic that makes Superman unique.

And even though Superman will do what is good for the many, he still struggles when it comes to Lois Lane or his friends. If it affects them, he hesitates and becomes conflicted. He has real human emotions, not just some 1-dimensional character that you know would do the right thing all the time. He does make mistakes and lets emotion take over him on many occasions. Why do you think Bats always has an eye on check with him? Supes is the boy scout who could do no wrong in most peoples eyes but he is deeper than that and Bats knows that, he can still easily go rogue and out of control when the occasions rises and this is what most people do not consider.

I already explained his weaknesses but this is also what most people hate about him outside of all his powers. Magic, kryptonite, red sun, lack of yellow sun and doing the right thing are his weaknesses, which to me is interesting enough. He has emotional weakness like everyone else, towards Lois or his cousin Kara or his friends. You can easily argue that Supes is more vulnerable to this since he has more friends than Bats. Supes is also susceptible to getting his face pounded by a opponent of similar or comparable strength.

Love story, the Superman/Clark/Lois love triangle might be corny to some but it is interesting. Add in Wonder Woman and you got something really cooking in the drama department. I'm sure some could relate to this too. The love or secret crush thing, not the hidden superhero identity. I can go into further details but there isn't a secret here, it's an interesting melodrama if you look into it.

Another thing, agree to disagree about it but it is worth a mention, Tarantinos take on Superman. Kal Els alter ego is Clark not Superman. What he really is is the strong and confident Superman and the bumbling , slouching reporter is what he dresses up as to blend in with the humans. Not many heroes has that complexity in their story and this take is interesting to me. Sometimes he does want that simple life of being human but he can't hide for what he truly is.

Villains, well this can get tricky but he does have good one. Lex is his polar opposite, he stands for everything that is wrong with humans while Supes (an alien) stands for everything that is right with humans. Brainiac, the embodiment of what is an evil alien is all about. Then you have Zod, a general from his own planet and what Superman would be if he wasn't raised by the Kents or are just pure evil. Then theres Bizarro, Parasite, Metallo, Superboy Prime, Magog/Gog, Doomsday, etc...

Of course Superman isn't perfect, people still argue why they can't tell he is Clark with a simple pair of glasses. Some say people wants to see what they choose to see, further complications in humans and Supermans interaction with this race, he knew he could get away with it. Who knows. But Superman far out weighs these by what makes him interesting. No other hero has to evolve as much as Superman does, comes with being the first superhero but adjustments were made, for good or bad depending on the generation it applies too. You know how Psycho was a very scary film back then but today it is just a classic film but somewhat laughable how scary it can be with todays gory films? Same thing with Supes, his old powers and persona is deemed lame and uninteresting because he has to evolve with the times and being dark and emo is what's popular these days, not exactly what Superman is all about.

Ok well that is a lot to type and most NTers will like not read and ask for cliff notes, I might add that later but this might just be part 1 on my take on Superman.

Last edited:
I read it all, and I appreciate you typing that out,
No supes fan has ever went to that extent to explain.
I still won't voluntarily read a comic, but if you suggest one and swore by it, i'd give it a try.

repped for that.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom