OFFICIAL COMIC BOOK THREAD

Ok, at this point the discussion has become pointless. Round and round we go.

You only hone in on one sentence or one word and can't even accept that I included a little background or a little scope of things in the post, you just want to focus on one thing instead of taking the post for what it is. I should have just posted bullet points so that you didn't have tot ake other things into the discussion because apparently I can't sail off slightly to provide some context. Whatever.

The same discussion that goes back and forth has happened to practically nothing that has probably ruined the thread for others. Exactly what I didn't want to happen to I'm just going to back off.

The reason the complex is named after him is completely different:
The expression seems to have been first been used by Dr. Fredric Wertham in his 1954 book Seduction of the Innocent and his testimony before the Senate Subcommittee on Juvenile Delinquency. He claimed that children reading Superman comic books were exposed to "phantasies of sadistic joy in seeing other people punished over and over again while you yourself remain immune
http://www.crimeboss.com/history03-2.html

That's why it was named after him and that has nothing to do with feeling responsible for everyone, it's the exact opposite. So I'm not sure where you're getting all of that from.

Well I actually just went with the first sentence where you got your source. In comic book hero sense, it makes sense to Superman. It also clearly states that it started from that but just like trends and other words, the meaning and term has evolved and changed or just has a different meaning.

In business, Superman Complex also means you have do to everything and feel responsible for everything.
Superman Complex in business.
Another article on Superman Complex in business.
If you read my entire post all of that is already there. That's the same link and external links I used :lol: I even say part of the definition deals with feeling responsible for everything.

What you're wrong about is why the complex is named after Superman.
Okay this simply not true, just about on every count. Bats limits his superman complex to Gotham cuz he's human. If what you said was true he wouldn't be apart of the JL if he only cared about Gotham and would rather protect one city before anything else. So I don't know where you're making that up from. You couldn't show me a time where another city or world was in trouble and Batman said "Nah I'd rather go catch the Mad Hatter, he just escaped Arkham." As far as Superman feels the need to protect everyone, that's not shown any more in the comics than it is for Batman or Green Lantern nor is he actually capable of that, that's just a deluded guy with a bleeding heart.
I never said Bats would not save the world if needed, of course he would. But put it up with other cities and he will save Gotham first and foremost instead of solving it all at the same time. Simple as that. You hone in on too much specificity w/o reading the whole context.
What are you basing this off of? It just seems like something you're making up to prop up Superman. You don't need to put down batman to make Superman look better for your argument. I'm gonna have take this as a bias opinion since I doubt you can actually back this up with anything from the comics.

Batman : Dark Knight Returns. Superman tried to save the US from the Nuke. Bats save Gotham and had no intention to help the other. He was fine with Gotham perfectly intact.

Kingdom Come, his main goal was to protect Gotham, his BatBots circled the city and really just let Superman do what he wants as long as he doesn't bother Gotham.
What do you mean he had no intention? Go reread DKR. Superman was the only one that could save the entire US in that situation.

In KC, he was working the entire time to circumvent Luther and his group from taking over the world. He was watching them the entire time. He even pretended to side with him.

If I'm focusing on one word of your posts you're poorly citing the comics to try and give an example.
Ok, at this point the discussion has become pointless. Round and round we go.

You only hone in on one sentence or one word and can't even accept that I included a little background or a little scope of things in the post, you just want to focus on one thing instead of taking the post for what it is. I should have just posted bullet points so that you didn't have tot ake other things into the discussion because apparently I can't sail off slightly to provide some context. Whatever.

The same discussion that goes back and forth has happened to practically nothing that has probably ruined the thread for others. Exactly what I didn't want to happen to I'm just going to back off.
If you want to claim we're going round and round go ahead but that's not what I'm seeing at all.
Like you said, Spiderman, DD and Bats has the same complex but you find it interesting but with Supes it isn't? Because he adds humanity by trying not to kill at the same time, which Bats and SM and DD deals with as well? Something doesn't add up there. Because they show their regret more often?
This does not seem like you read my post at all. I said other heroes do it. I didn't say they're interesting because of that and Superman isn't. Where are you getting that from?

Last edited:
It is still named after him, not exactly because of what Superman does but it still involved superman.

And look at what I wrote, I never said it was named because of what he did, technically. And now, it still pertains to him and he is still the reason it is called Superman Complex. I agree it might have been a different reason that I thought but it is still after him so I am not wrong on that one. :tongue:

I am not sure what you mean by God Complex, Superman doesn't have a God Complex, Superman actually has a Superman complex. The belief that he is responsible for everyone and it is in his hands to save everyone.

God Complex is knowing you have superior powers but also believe that they are above laws and rules and the government, Superman is not at all like that. Superman believes in what is right and what is wrong, he follows laws and rules and regulations, he tries to operate within limits and under the government even with his infinite powers. In the Dark Knight Returns, he is actually a US Government stooge.

With that said, how cool is that that Superman has his own complex named after him. :D

It is still named after him, not exactly because of what Superman does but it still involved superman.

And look at what I wrote, I never said it was named because of what he did, technically. And now, it still pertains to him and he is still the reason it is called Superman Complex. I agree it might have been a different reason that I thought but it is still after him so I am not wrong on that one. :tongue:

I am not sure what you mean by God Complex, Superman doesn't have a God Complex, Superman actually has a Superman complex. The belief that he is responsible for everyone and it is in his hands to save everyone.

God Complex is knowing you have superior powers but also believe that they are above laws and rules and the government, Superman is not at all like that. Superman believes in what is right and what is wrong, he follows laws and rules and regulations, he tries to operate within limits and under the government even with his infinite powers. In the Dark Knight Returns, he is actually a US Government stooge.

With that said, how cool is that that Superman has his own complex named after him. :D
Oh I thought you would understand, it's not cool at all. It's actually pretty ****** up but it was the Atomic age. That was all part of a movement to wipe out comics.

Plus you say this later
And no, not every hero deals with Superman complex. Bats himself would rather protect Gotham before anything else, he covets his city and willing to protect it before anything else. Superman on the other hand feels the need to protect everyone and everything at once. This is what he is known for and why the complex is named after him.
That's not why the complex is named after him though.
This is a conflict between them most of the time and that is their difference. In Batman/Superman with Supergirl once again, Bats threatened to destroy Apocalypse so that Darkseid releases Kara, was it a bluff? Most likely but Supes would not risk that, again difference. Bats is willing to cross the line and even beating Joker close to death, as long as the enemy survives, Bats is good with it.
So Batman has more balls than Superman, so what? Him not being willing to risk that only shows the difference in character it doesn't exclude Batman. I don't get how you'll show me examples of Superman supposedly almost killing ppl for wiping out the heroes in KC and killing Lois Lane and call it a struggle but Batman holding a world hostage or beating up a murderous psychopath is out of bounds.

Also are you really trying to say Superman doesn't hurt his enemies? So what if Batman beats Joker close to death? They're both humans.
You want to see it, I just showed you panel for panel of it with Manchester Black but you do not want to accept Supes not wanting killing as part of his humanity so there is no winning in that argument.
Yeah just to be clear, since I've said a bunch of times I've never asked for this, not once. I never said I didn't accept Supes not wanting to kill as being apart of his humanity.

Last edited:
C-C-C-C-C-C-OMBO BREAKER

Now I know why we don't talk about Superman lol ...

just picked up the All-new Xmen 5 and 6. Who was that that needed #5 or 6. my shop still has it for retail.

The Tarantino quote isn't really related to his complex vs. humanity discussion and that is why I ignored it nor have I mentioned it in this current discussion. I just pointed out that it is a good point that many may not have seen. This is all I wrote about it, not a mention of Superman complex in that paragraph, don't confuse it with the word "complexity" I used in that paragraph that merely means his characteristics are not as simple, it is complex or to use another word more complicated.
I'm not confusing it with the word complexity. I'm the one that used superman complex in response. I'm not sure why you brought up Tarantino at all if you didn't want to discuss it. What he brings up in Kill Bill Vol. 2 has nothing to do with a superman complex. I was just calling his take on the Superman the Superman complex but like I said I should've said syndrome but either way Tarantino's take which is actually interesting is not used in the comics at all. The first and only time it's brought up is in that movie.

God you are thick in the head, you just want to read what you want to read and understand what you want to understand.

Like I said before, not that I don't want to discuss Tarantinos point but you keep bringing it up as a Superman complex when I never mentioned it as a Superman complex. I never even mentioned Superman Complex in my original post. You kept using it as an example of me saying it as Superman Complex as a negative and against my point when I clearly said (by quoting myself) that it was just an interesting point.

And if you want to see Superman deal with Tarantinos point, just look at all his books. Read Batman/Superman: Supergirl from Krypton, he explains to her why he dresses the way he does and how to properly behave in society, pretty much the struggle to be human. With Tarantinos point, you really do not even need a specific example, Kal is always bumbling and be out of his character as Clark, you can see this as he isn't the same when he is Clark with his parents and obviously when he is Superman.

And please, do not come back with the Superman Complex again in regards to Tarantino. I have read all you've written and I do know what you are saying and we are just agreeing or disagreeing.

And it's funny you tell me I don't know what Superman COmplex meant but you were right there arguing with it with me. You barely found out what the words came from too so don't act like you are all high and mighty. :lol: But yes, it still means "trying to be responsible for everything" these days no matter what you say. Check the links I posted on it pertaining to business again.

The first and only time it's brought up is in that movie. It gives fans something to think about and is interesting but unfortunately it doesn't make Superman interesting unless you actually see Superman dealing with it.

It isn't interesting to you but it is interesting to me and maybe to others. Have you thought about that? My post was simply about that, why I find him interesting but you don't seem convinced why those reasons make him interesting to me for some reason. We don't have to find the same thing interesting.

Ok, you can have your last word now. I hope that at least some of these discussions were entertaining to a few.

Geez man if you can't do this without hurling insults maybe you were right to say you didn't want to post your opinion at all.

I'm thick in the head? **** you.
The first and only time it's brought up is in that movie. It gives fans something to think about and is interesting but unfortunately it doesn't make Superman interesting unless you actually see Superman dealing with it.

It isn't interesting to you but it is interesting to me and maybe to others. Have you thought about that? My post was simply about that, why I find him interesting but you don't seem convinced why those reasons make him interesting to me for some reason. We don't have to find the same thing interesting.
:smh: WOW. It's pretty clear here you're not really reading what I'm saying at all :stoneface:
And it's funny you tell me I don't know what Superman COmplex meant but you were right there arguing with it with me. You barely found out what the words came from too so don't act like you are all high and mighty. laugh.gif But yes, it still means "trying to be responsible for everything" these days no matter what you say. Check the links I posted on it pertaining to business again.
It seems here you either are still confused or barely have caught up. I explained most of this in my last two replies to you. All you did here is repeat what I said. Nobody is acting high and mighty. You said the complex was named after Superman for a wrong reason. Since I had already looked it up and pointed out you were wrong about that and all that simply pertained to more irrelevant stuff you were padding your posts with that didn't really add to the discussion. I dunno why you can't do this without getting so emotional. You'd at least think coming back to post after you said 2 posts ago you weren't going to reply anymore that you at least manage to calm down and check your attitude at the door.

Last edited:
Geez man if you can't do this without hurling insults maybe you were right to say you didn't want to post your opinion at all.

I'm thick in the head? **** you.

:smh: WOW. It's pretty clear here you're not really what I'm saying at all :stoneface:

You consider that an insult? :lol: if you were hurt ny that then I apologize, i just meant it as stubborn rather than stupid. You just cant seem to get what im saying and keep pushing what you want people to agree with even if that wasn't what I was talking about, you kept honing in on one word "interesting" and i cant say anything else unless I specifically say it is not directly related to my point of why Supes is interesting. That is all.

But again, if you are offended by what I said, sorry but dont take it too seriously.

Im emotional? :lol:

Calmed down? I was never mad.

Really good at telling that through posts on a forum? Just like you being sarcastic? Yeah i can easily tell that when said in the middle of a paragraph.

If you simply did not agree and do not find himinsteresting, saying I disagree would have sufficed.

Whatever, im done. Continue on.

I don't know why you can't stick to the topic instead of attacking the person. I'm not hurt, I'm just trying not to get banned. I could easily go down that road. All you kept doing before you actually posted your opinion was whine about how the thread would end up in a war and all this other nonsense and then on the last page you talk about how this back and forth has probably caused ppl to leave the thread for good, more bull ****. It's ridiculous and then the next day you reply to me with an ad hominem attack. I don't get it.

If you don't want to part take then don't. Leave it to someone else who actually wants to.

As far as me honing in on one word, as far as I'm concerned that's how this whole thing started and that was the point of it. I don't give a **** if Superman is allegedly more popular than MJ or that ppl want to have Superman's powers and I never argued anything about Superman struggling to kill. That was just more **** you brought up saying that's what other ppl want when nobody in this thread said it, it's like you're replying to ppl not here and then going on a tangent paragraph talking about it instead of staying on topic.

I find it hard to take your whole post as is and not break it down as you claim to be establishing context when there's so many unnecessary things brought up to deflect from the topic. If it's a book it isn't a good one.

EDIT

Another declaration of you leaving/being done :lol: W/e man.

Last edited:
2m514dz.gif

Ok, now I'm really done on the subject of Superman....

for the time being. :evil:

Last edited:
fellas fellas, now that this is done...
Can anyone throw the assist with helping me find All new X men #3 and #4

Can't think of any place online you'd get a reasonable price. Some ppl are taking advantage with it and charging more than double.

If you don't mind it wait until it comes out in trade. That's what I do with all of the x books I pull.

[COLOR=#red]Man I really don't know how you guys do it. When I was younger I didn't mind the monthly's, but as I get older I need the Paperbacks.

Just picked up Deadpool kills the marvel universe. Really getting into deadpool, wasn't the biggest fan of his when I was younger. No real particular reason, I just favored Batman, Spawn, Calvin and Hobbes and Superman. Mainly what I stuck too.

With that said I am REALLY looking forward Death in the Family (may I think?), Batman Detective vol. 2 (april), Batman vol. 2 city of owls (march), Before Watchmen (june), and a bunch of others. but those are the mains for me. end of randomness. [/COLOR]

I couldnt find those two comics. The guys in both stores say that is a fast selling comic compares to much of the **** they get. sorry

I couldnt find those two comics. The guys in both stores say that is a fast selling comic compares to much of the **** they get. sorry

Appreciate you even looking sir,
my store is getting them Next week just didnt want to wait to read when i got 5 and 6 ready :nerd:

Is deadpool kills the marvel universe a good story, or just funny with nice pics?

Is deadpool kills the marvel universe a good story, or just funny with nice pics?
[COLOR=#red]
I actually really enjoyed it. I wasn't sure about it going in and didn't read reviews. It just really intrigued me title wise and it's deadpool.

I'd say a big drawback for me though was how short it was. If it would of had more details on certain things and expanded certain fights I would of been 100% behind this. [/COLOR]

[COLOR=#red]With avengers gone, x-men gone, and others who I can't think of off the top of my head it kind of leaves a weird... OK what next feeling? I would have like to of seen where it went Before it got to the ending. It was just rushed. All of that could have been a lot more detailed and drawn out. I did like how this started, when psycho man tweaked something in his brain and he had one all powerful voice talking to him. I liked the ending and thought it was an interesting twist/kind of funny. But it leaves little room for much else. You confront the creators/staff and then what? Go back to the marvel universe to kill the rest? (everyone was Not killed, but a lot were) Seems a bit off. All in all I did enjoy it.[/COLOR]

Last edited by a moderator:
how many books do I need to buy. ive never read deadpool or particularly liked him. but id be into it from the sound of what's going on

how many books do I need to buy. ive never read deadpool or particularly liked him. but id be into it from the sound of what's going on

[COLOR=#red]Just one for paperback bro beans. 4 if you want the monthly's.

Amazon has it for 10 or 15 I think.

*** edit: Amazon product ASIN 0785164030
Side bar I plan on doing more of this, I just got both of these over the weekend.[/COLOR]

[COLOR=#red]Still some work to do with the background and cleaning up an old frame. But I kind of like this on my walls.[/COLOR]

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom