OFFICIAL COMIC BOOK THREAD

i kinda agree about black wirters/artists not being nurtured enough in our own community but when you consider comic companys in general not targeting us an other ethnic groups, stereotypical representation, and no job offers its hard to get into this business, but there are groups and other small communitys of black an brown comics enthusiests that have their own independent titles, i bought a book showcasing these artists, yall should really check it out....

Black Comix: African American Independent Comics, Art and Culture

Lack of black writers stems from our community more than anything black people don't look at comic books or video game as more than kid stuff.
I agree and kinda disagree. I think the avenue to make it okay for black youth going in to adulthood isn't there for it to be more apparent that we do take it somewhat seriously as far as seeing it as a job/career. In video games or comic you'd still be a writer or artist/game designer. Focusing more on comics, I've noticed with my generation we all have a love for comics, cartoons, anime, etc. Especially black youth. There just needs to be a way or person to make it more prominent and bring it to the forefront and present it as a viable option.

There's plenty black writers and artists though and I think part of that article is just saying that publishing companies should at least reach out for their talent if anything. I see what you saying about many seeing it as kid stuff so to begin with there's not a huge pool to choose from.

I laughed at "Sailor Venus Williams" but this was a good read. It's crazy the kind of racism/sexism present in these nerdy pursuits, which is ironic considering geekdom itself is the refuge of the outcast.
It made me sad at first but I was being naive in my initial first encounter with this issue. I found my asking is their any place racism hasn't found it's way in to? but I snapped back in reality and realized that racist ppl are everywhere and they'll be racist at any chance they get no matter the subculture. Like there's probably racist Magic The Gathering players, racist medieval live action role players, etc.

Not a complete surprise given the racism in early comics as recent as the 60s

Last edited:
It definitely stems from our community and social expectation. The Aunt and Uncle I lived with moved to the sticks in high school, and IDK how to explain. Donald Glover/Childish Gambino gets it. Basically being a black nerd makes you "too white" so the white people make fun of you and you are a nerd so everyone makes fun of you. Nowhere I felt I belonged. It's cool though. I start at 57 stacks a year as soon as I get the CPA Exam which puts me in a better position than 99% of that school.

Greg Capullo’s ‘Batman’ Covers In GIF Form

tumblr_mhrysnQNK51qbg80vo1_500.gif

http://25.media.tumblr.com/6***8d41c7977538c68ba0504c3de382/tumblr_mhrysnQNK51qbg80vo2_400.gif

Second one requires the *** to be replaced with a 5 5 (no spaces)

Last edited:
I have it, but I only have my personal copy
does your comic shop have it. mine taxes, I may just get it from ebay.

as far as being a black man and being in to comics. growing up in the late 80s early 90s. Marvel (particularly X-men_ was just extremely popular.) though I didn't grow up in the "hood" or anything, everyone i knew was in to comics at that time. (90s was the age of heroes imo).

I know plenty of black people who have been to comic cons and anime conventions. and I never seen backlash like that saying... Wolvie shouldn't be black
That's completely ignorant btw... cuz a lot of comic nerds/geeks/cosplayers are certainly not in the greatest shape.
If anyone knows D-piddy. I think this guy is black but he's in full deadpool gear.

seems like everyones looking for all new xmen #5...

so glad the 2nd print comes out tomorrow cuz i cant find a copy anywhere.

other than that theres #7 and fearless defenders.

I bought 5 6 at the same time. since he charged me like 6 bucks for 1 and 2... ill get 3-4-7 tomorrow

Last edited:
I have it, but I only have my personal copy
does your comic shop have it. mine taxes, I may just get it from ebay.

as far as being a black man and being in to comics. growing up in the late 80s early 90s. Marvel (particularly X-men_ was just extremely popular.) though I didn't grow up in the "hood" or anything, everyone i knew was in to comics at that time. (90s was the age of heroes imo).

I know plenty of black people who have been to comic cons and anime conventions. and I never seen backlash like that saying... Wolvie shouldn't be black
That's completely ignorant btw... cuz a lot of comic nerds/geeks/cosplayers are certainly not in the greatest shape.
If anyone knows D-piddy. I think this guy is black but he's in full deadpool gear.

I can check tomorrow, and I met DPiddy at a Deadpool signing in Monrovia, CA

Funny dude :lol:

DC 17
Hit-Girl 5
Avengers 5
NA 3
AA Annual
Venom 31
WS 15
SA 37
TB 4
DD End of Days 5
RSH 62
FD 1
SSM 3

:smokin

Fearless Defenders #1
Thunderbolts #4
All New X-Men #7
Superior Spider-Man #3
Avengers #5
Daredevil End of Days #5
Iron Man #6
New Avengers #3

my comic shop didnt get the 2nd reprint of. all new x men 3 and 4. I c ant wait anymore. amazon ebay here I come

thanks man, I still have that 5 at my shop, I buried it under the #6 so it should be there tomm if you still need it.

damn. All new X-Men flies off the shelves in my area. 7 came out today and I got the last one despite coming to the store 13 minutes after it opened.
Also got Uncanny Avengers 3 since dude on the site said it picks up in this issue. Got X-Factor 251 but I dont want to start in the middle of this hell on earth saga. I'll be on the lookout for 250 :nerd: and there was a reprint of Uncanny X-Men 138-143 "Days of Future Past" so I had to cop. Love that series and only ever saw it on the cartoons.

let me know how different the comic is from the cartoon

my bro has the original comics just never read

So X men series is that good?
Was also able to get issue 700 of Amazing Spiderman :pimp:

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom