OFFICIAL COMIC BOOK THREAD

It's an event. 10 issues with tie-ins from FF, SSM, Avengers Assemble, and a few other titles.

They made a big deal about SSM cuz it was issue 700 in the same year of his 50th anniversary and that Peter Parker was gonna "die" in this last issue of ASM. They started SSM cuz it's essentially a new status quo and if you check the dialogue Doc Ock refers to himself in a specific way. Most importantly, new #1s are good for business. So any excuse to do it they will.

When I say AU might be retconned by time travel I'd also add that it's still matter cuz that retcon would also be changing the entire MU. The main rumor is that Wolverine and the Invisible Woman I think with a few other ppl are gonna travel back in time and stop Hank Pym from creating Ultron a.k.a. Wolverine is gonna kill Ant Man. Doing that would change a lot and no it wouldn't just create an alt reality cuz they'll probably be using doomlocks (devices made by doom that actually allow you to change events in the past and still return to your timeline).

Dying isn't all that important or special. I tend to focus on the journey getting there and yes event deaths have become more than cliche. As far as bringing ppl back the only person left I think off limits is Uncle Ben and the adult Jean Grey has been dead for like 9 years now cuz writers had nothing to write for her and felt it was the only way to develop Cyclops. Another rumor out there is Wolverine is going to really die and stay dead for awhile in 2014.
Don't think so. There were like mini events/limited editions like Onslaught Unleashed and one other one. The only other Onslaught reference I've seen lately was at the end of the last issue of Uncanny Avengers.
I know issue 1 is good for business. Why not just end the series then make ASM Vol 2 Issue 1 like they did for every other comic? After all they continued the story anyway. Instead they did the cliche crap of a hero dying. One that everyone and their moms knew wouldnt stay dead. Its really a stupid overused concept. **** like that makes it so people can't take comic books seriously as an art form/form of entertainment.

I assure you Wolverine won't die (at least not in Earth-616). He and Deadpool are Marvel's most popular characters. They can regenerate from a single droplet of blood for that reason only.
Cuz they chose not to do that. From the way they say it this isn't an Amazing Spider-Man book so we get Superior Spider-Man. Their choice and the reasons have basically been story driven from what I'm hearing. Plus there'd be way more fan back lash if they relaunches ASM with a new #1, they did that before and it did not work out well. The whole dying may be stupid and cliche but yet it still makes money. ASM 700 got leaked 2 weeks in advance and still did huge #s. What I gather from Marvel's editors and I somewhat agree with is you can't just take the threat of death off the table in a story. The point is to tell a good story and if that involves death of major characters it doesn't matter that tons of characters continuously come back to life in a short period. That's not the point. It's all about the journey getting there. I don't mind it. It's just another plot device to be used like any other literary tool.

I wouldn't bank on assurances. When it's coming from Marvel's own creative retreats I'll take it for what it is when they say they may kill Wolverine and wait to see it happen. They're already setting up why he'll stay dead with Age of Ultron and w/e new rules they're establishing with GOTG, ANXM, and Avengers. Apparently Wolverine doing all this time travel will have some serious effects on him that'll lead to his death but even with that aside (that's the rumor). If Marvel wants Wolverine dead he'll be dead, won't matter if he's popular. They'll just plug in another guy with claws and a healing factor in the mean time. They're basically doing the same for Spidey and killing Wolverine for a while would do the character some good as far as popularity goes anyway. No healing factor feat in a story is gonna stop him from dying if Marvel wants him dead, whether it's coming back from a droplet of blood or Wolverine surviving because he thinks, therefore he is.

NT fam, I just traded my playbook for a Galaxy S3. I am still getting used to Android and I was curious if you guys read comics with your phone. If so, what comic book reader would you recommend?

Thanks in advance!
ComicRack

Cuz they chose not to do that. From the way they say it this isn't an Amazing Spider-Man book so we get Superior Spider-Man. Their choice and the reasons have basically been story driven from what I'm hearing. Plus there'd be way more fan back lash if they relaunches ASM with a new #1, they did that before and it did not work out well. The whole dying may be stupid and cliche but yet it still makes money. ASM 700 got leaked 2 weeks in advance and still did huge #s. What I gather from Marvel's editors and I somewhat agree with is you can't just take the threat of death off the table in a story. The point is to tell a good story and if that involves death of major characters it doesn't matter that tons of characters continuously come back to life in a short period. That's not the point. It's all about the journey getting there. I don't mind it. It's just another plot device to be used like any other literary tool.

I wouldn't bank on assurances. When it's coming from Marvel's own creative retreats I'll take it for what it is when they say they may kill Wolverine and wait to see it happen. They're already setting up why he'll stay dead with Age of Ultron and w/e new rules they're establishing with GOTG, ANXM, and Avengers. Apparently Wolverine doing all this time travel will have some serious effects on him that'll lead to his death but even with that aside (that's the rumor). If Marvel wants Wolverine dead he'll be dead, won't matter if he's popular. They'll just plug in another guy with claws and a healing factor in the mean time. They're basically doing the same for Spidey and killing Wolverine for a while would do the character some good as far as popularity goes anyway. No healing factor feat in a story is gonna stop him from dying if Marvel wants him dead, whether it's coming back from a droplet of blood or Wolverine surviving because he thinks, therefore he is.
All I'm saying is if you are going to kill a character, good for you, kill him off. Just stop with the stupid stories of how they come back to life.

But they don't want him dead. Wolverine comics sell too much for them to kill him off. You keep talking sales and forgetting about Wolverine related comics sales. The worst that will happen is he dies, they make a pitiful excuse for him to come back, and two months later he will be back and all his comics will be renumbered (to boost sales from the 6 weeks he was gone) As well as gather a new fanbase. Him staying dead like you said is not an option. Also you just said they renumbered ASM once but it did not work out well for them. Further proof that Marvel can't do what they want. They have to satisfy people who give them money. With that logic if Marvel wanted to renumber ASM they would renumber it. But they stopped

Last edited:
I was thinking, couldn't a telepath read Peter Parker's mind and discover it's not really Parker? Random thought. Haha.

I am clueless on ASM. I stop liking spiderman a while back. Only see the movies for nostalgic reasons. So Doc Ock is in his body. Is he in the side of the law or no?

Yea doc ock is in Perers body. Trying to fight bad, because he has Peters memories and now wants to be a "superior" spiderman. Peters ghost still lurking

Is he still in the Avengers or no? Because the UXM ended their last isssue with the new x-men and the old ones who cant control their powers being ambushed by the avengers. Is that superior spidey attacking or amazing spidey?

All I'm saying is if you are going to kill a character, good for you, kill him off. Just stop with the stupid stories of how they come back to life.
Why? If they want to kill them they can go and do that if they feel it's a good story. If they want to bring him back to life they can do that too cuz there's a writer that wants to tell good stories about the character. That's how it works.
But they don't want him dead. Wolverine comics sell too much for them to kill him off. You keep talking sales and forgetting about Wolverine related comics sales. The worst that will happen is he dies, they make a pitiful excuse for him to come back, and two months later he will be back and all his comics will be renumbered (to boost sales from the 6 weeks he was gone) As well as gather a new fanbase. Him staying dead like you said is not an option. Also you just said they renumbered ASM once but it did not work out well for them. Further proof that Marvel can't do what they want. They have to satisfy people who give them money. With that logic if Marvel wanted to renumber ASM they would renumber it. But they stopped
I never said he'd stay dead. I'm saying he'd be dead for a while. Not for decades or permanently but a noticeable period of time. That's exactly what they've been rumored to be talking about doing in 2014 with their most recent creative retreat. So the way I see it if they're brainstorming a story to kill him, they want him to be dead for a reason. Of course there'll be a story about he comes back to life cuz eventually they'll be writers who want to tell stories about him and cuz he's a popular character that makes money for the company.

What do you mean they can't do what they want? They DID renumber ASM. It not working out because of the writer's stories at the time doesn't mean they won't do it again. When they ended the new renumbering they restored it for w/e milestone issue of ASM was coming up. You can just about bank on them renumbering ASM again when SSM is done and then bringing back the og numbering down the line.

The thing is they're just doing this for sales. I really feel ppl get too hung up on issue #s anyway. It's a waste of time to argue about. I wish they'd start releasing comics without issue #s on them at all. What Marvel has been doing for the past 2 decades now is relaunch a book with a new #1 and when it reaches a milestone # they restore the original numbering. It usually happens after 50 issues or 100, most times every hundred issues. As of late though they've been relaunching books every 2 years or so as well so they can go either way with it. This is all about making money not satisfying fans who cry about petty stuff like this. If renumbering makes them more money they'll do it, if restoring the original numbering makes them more money they'll do that too.
I was thinking, couldn't a telepath read Peter Parker's mind and discover it's not really Parker? Random thought. Haha.
That already happened in Avenging Spider-Man when he teamed up with the X-Men. That was something a lot of fanboys cried about like a telepath would just automatically invade his mind and discover his secret. He got through it undetected by pulling the old it'd be immoral of you to search my thoughts without my permission (and yeah that's a notable issue among telepaths in the MU, at least the good ppl with the power). Plus he wasn't doing that much questionable behavior. He just beat the **** out of Wolverine in front of them.
Is he still in the Avengers or no? Because the UXM ended their last isssue with the new x-men and the old ones who cant control their powers being ambushed by the avengers. Is that superior spidey attacking or amazing spidey?
He's still in the Avengers for now. Just showed up officially in Avengers #6. If Bendis has him showing up it's Superior Spidey. There's been a teaser poster with the word "FIRED" for a story arc coming up which implies he'll get kicked out but Slott likes to be tricky with those things.

Last edited:
To dude asking for the difference in the X-Men TV show and comic book Days of Future Past, I would read the comics. No need to read to whole trade. A lot of it is boring and has nothing to do with DoFP. Just Uncanny 141 and 142. The storyline is completely different. Many mutants were added and removed but that's not it. The roles of all of them changed significantly. Its also a good read. The ending is very cool. Sorry it took me so long to get back at you.

Zik. First you say they tried renumbering ASM and didnt get away with it, now you are saying they will again. I dont mess with Spidey, I am basing my arguments off yours. :stoneface:

To dude asking for the difference in the X-Men TV show and comic book Days of Future Past, I would read the comics. No need to read to whole trade. A lot of it is boring and has nothing to do with DoFP. Just Uncanny 141 and 142. The storyline is completely different. Many mutants were added and removed but that's not it. The roles of all of them changed significantly. Its also a good read. The ending is very cool. Sorry it took me so long to get back at you.
u got the big book or individual comics

Marvel Comics On Sale March 13, 2013
Joe Quesada To Draw Age Of Ultron’s Top Top Secret Finale

http://www.newsarama.com/comics/joe-mad-zeb-wells-spider-man-wolverine-teaser.html
Zik. First you say they tried renumbering ASM and didnt get away with it, now you are saying they will again. I dont mess with Spidey, I am basing my arguments off yours. :stoneface:
:lol: I'm saying they renumbered Spidey before with a new writer, it got sales at first but the stories weren't that good. Then for some reason they tried this dual numbering system that they claim didn't work at all and stopped doing that. Then they brought in JMS and it was a huge success and everything was back on track. I shouldn't have said "got away with" cuz in the end they brought back the OG numbering for milestone issues.

Last edited:
Just finished reading Foolkiller MAX: White Angels by Gregg Hurwitz :smokin I know there's been past versions but I really liked this one and wish Marvel would've tried to bring the guy in to the main MU more. Real fun stuff. Guess sales kept it from getting an ongoing.

my comic shop (the I refused to go anymore) had plenty of all new x men 8. so I picked up one so I can continue reading. and didn't want to miss out on 1st edition

What website do you guys use to preview the variants? The shop I'm buying my comics from let's me preorder variants

Back
Top Bottom