Official Cooking Steak Thread

Yea my boy works in the hotel business and always talked about how chefs feel disrespected when someone asks them for a "burnt steak." I tried medium well and it was special. I rarely eat beef but I wanted a steal about 2 months ago and got a bone-in ribeye from Texas Roadhouse and man that steak was vicious man. So yea, I won't do "burnt steak" anymore.

last steak i had was the bone in rib eye medium rare from texas roadhouse in phoenix a few weeks back. joint was :pimp:

Oh my bad.  Didn't know I had to cook only prime cuts.  
laugh.gif

Btw, it's all in the preparation my man.  Not saying skirt steak is gonna compare in quality or taste to a better cut.  But trust that when prepared properly, it's moist and delicious as hell.  
pimp.gif

hey, i like a good salty cubed steak every now and then - with ketchup!

favorite cut - tenderloin
least fav - london broil

Oh my bad.  Didn't know I had to cook only prime cuts.  :lol:

Btw, it's all in the preparation my man.  Not saying skirt steak is gonna compare in quality or taste to a better cut.  But trust that when prepared properly, it's moist and delicious as hell.  :pimp:

Don't know why you're offended when all I said was its skirt steak and that we were talking about cooking med rare prime cuts.

Offended?  You got that from what I wrote?  Interesting.  

Btw, yes, I knew I was cooking skirt steak (see post #371).  

So why should I not eat skirt steak rare?  

my guess is that they're sayin cooking steak rare should be left to the prime cuts
while lesser cuts should be cooked & spiced thoroughly as they lack the inherent flavor to enjoy properly w/o

^ Gotcha.  Honestly, I couldn't tell you what a skirt steak tastes like on its own because I've never had it outside of carne asada (which is pretty much what it's exclusively used for from what I've read).  I'm sure it isn't great on its own, regardless of how it's cooked.  

That said, marinating it in fresh-squeezed lemon, lime and orange juices, plus olive oil, a jalapeño pepper, cilantro, garlic, salt, pepper, cumin and oregano = pretty damned tasty.  Not to mention tender, thanks to the citrus juices that break down the meat over time.  I was surprised that such a cheap cut could come out tasting that good, but it did.  *shrugs*

i may have to bother you for the complete (carne asada) recipe because that sounds delicious

but have da flu right now & am not putting in any kitchen work like that right now

well done :x

is it true some restaurants put aside 'bad' cuts for when people order their steaks well done?
That's close to impossible if you're ordering a specific type of steak.
False. There is even quality cuts from a specific piece.
Prime rib roast / ribeye the end cuts that are closer to another cut looks and taste different. A 3 bone center cut prime rib is the perfect cut.

Carne marinade recipe? :nerd:
Carne asada marinate?

Onions
Cilantro
Sunny D
Lemon Juice
And meat seasoning.

Marinate that over night.

The next day, take it out the fridge an hour before cooking. Add a can of beer to it. This will soften up the meat (dont worry, the alcohol will cook out).

DONE.

Carne asada marinate?

Onions
Cilantro
Sunny D
Lemon Juice
And meat seasoning.

Marinate that over night.

The next day, take it out the fridge an hour before cooking. Add a can of beer to it. This will soften up the meat (dont worry, the alcohol will cook out).

DONE.

Man that sounds :nthat:

I don't alcohol... so I don't really know what beer would add a good touch.

Would you steer me in a good direction? (I'm assuming its something a bit better quality than bud light :lol:)

Also, you marinade it in the beer during the hour you take it out of your fridge? Or during the cooking?

I'm pretty OCD about cooking... Love trying new recipes/techniques.

Man that sounds :nthat:

I don't alcohol... so I don't really know what beer would add a good touch.

Would you steer me in a good direction? (I'm assuming its something a bit better quality than bud light :lol:)

Also, you marinade it in the beer during the hour you take it out of your fridge? Or during the cooking?

I'm pretty OCD about cooking... Love trying new recipes/techniques.
Funny thing is that I dont drink alcohol at all. I just use one of my dads miller lites and Im good to go.

One can should be good for about 5-8 pounds of meat. Add the beer as soon as you take out of the fridge. The reason you take it out an hour before is to let it rest. If you add cold meat to a hot grill, it will shock the meat and make it tough.

So give it some time to get to room temp and then slap it on the grill. It will be so soft and tasty.

Also, add some hot dogs to that marinate. Those hot dogs will taste gooooooood too.

Funny thing is that I dont drink alcohol at all. I just use one of my dads miller lites and Im good to go.

One can should be good for about 5-8 pounds of meat. Add the beer as soon as you take out of the fridge. The reason you take it out an hour before is to let it rest. If you add cold meat to a hot grill, it will shock the meat and make it tough.

So give it some time to get to room temp and then slap it on the grill. It will be so soft and tasty.

Also, add some hot dogs to that marinate. Those hot dogs will taste gooooooood too.

:nthat: thx for the insight*. Repped on both posts

Last edited:
i may have to bother you for the complete (carne asada) recipe because that sounds delicious

but have da flu right now & am not putting in any kitchen work like that right now
Carne marinade recipe?
nerd.gif
2 lbs skirt steak (go for outer skirt)

4 tablespoons olive oil

juice from 2 oranges (or just use orange juice)

juice from 2 limes

juice from 1 lemon

6 cloves of garlic chopped (or use 3 teaspoons of the pre-minced kind)

1 jalapeño pepper, de-seeded and diced (leave the seeds for extra spice)

1 teaspoon cumin

1 teaspoon oregano

1 teaspoon salt (use kosher salt--tastes much better, IMO)

1 teaspoon pepper

4 tablespoons of cilantro (chopped)

Mix all that **** up good, throw it on the steaks and marinate for up to 8 hours.  I'd flip the meat about halfway, too.  And when grilling, be sure to oil your grill and also add some extra kosher salt to the meat while it's on the grill.  Grill 4 to 5 minutes each side, or until the internal temp reaches between 130-140.  Enjoy.  

is it true some restaurants put aside 'bad' cuts for when people order their steaks well done?
Prime rib roast / ribeye the end cuts that are closer to another cut looks and taste different. A 3 bone center cut prime rib is the perfect cut.
What is false though? I'm saying it's close to impossible for the chef to put aside "bad" cuts when ppl order a steak well done if you order a specific steak to be well done. If I order a porterhouse or like you bring up a 3 bone center cut prime rib how are they gonna have a bad cut of that?

or are you agreeing with me and saying the bad cut thing is false? :lol:

Last edited:

What is false though? I'm saying it's close to impossible for the chef to put aside "bad" cuts when ppl order a steak well done if you order a specific steak to be well done. If I order a porterhouse or like you bring up a 3 bone center cut prime rib how are they gonna have a bad cut of that?

or are you agreeing with me and saying the bad cut thing is false? :lol:

They probably meant a bad grade of a specific cut. Maybe they'll reserve the one with better marbling for the med rare folk, while the well done folk get the less desirable ones

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom