Official DragonBall Z Thread. R.I.P Akira Toriyama. You will be missed

He shoulda stayed with the green versace track suit :lol:

Nah that's when he was at rock bottom washed. The only green suits we acknowledge are Rock Lee's and my dude Guy. Gohan hasn't found the power of youth yet.

We need the shoulder pads back. Which reminds me....these ****** can grow tails :lol: that has to come back into play at some point right?

For Goku, Toriyama said the tail was a pain in the *** to draw so got rid of it.

For Gohan and Vegeta, Toriyama forgot to draw the tails growing back.

By the time Trunks and Goten come around, Toriyama just totally forgot anyone ever had a tail.

Goku's was removed permanently by Kami. Vegeta and Gohan's just never grew back. Trunks and Goten, irrc, had theirs removed at birth. Nothing stopping Saiyans from another universe from showing up with tails I suppose, which I actually wouldn't mind seeing.

IIRC, Gohan tail grew back during the Tree of Might movie when Turles stepped on his back. Not sure if its valid since the movie isnt canon

Wasn't there an interview with Toriyama that gave an explanation for why goten and trunks have tails? Something about the tail being a recessive trait so not all human/Saiyan hybrids are born with tails?

Edit: According to Daizenshuu #4 they were born without tails.

The tailless second generation are super ultra child prodigies.

Saiyan genes have an extraordinarily good compatibility with Earthling blood. Because of this, when the two races are mixed together children with formidable power are born. Particularly, those Halflings born without tails hide an exceptional battle power. There are many things that they naturally master from a young age, such as the ordinarily arduous transformation into a Super Saiyan. In spite of having such an outstanding battle sense, they do not have a fondness for battle like a pure Saiyan. Instead, it seems that the violent temperament of the Saiyan has been relaxed through their Earthling blood.

Last edited:
The animation went back to old school 90s?!?

They've been using some image tweaks/filters to make the animation look a bit reminiscent of it starting a couple episodes back, but it looks like that in that pic-stitch because of the images are low-resolution/compressed to hell.

A better idea of how the show looks now:

A bit more insight about what they've been doing:

Last edited:
They've been using some image tweaks/filters to make the animation look a bit reminiscent of it starting a couple episodes back, but it looks like that in that pic-stitch because of the images are low-resolution/compressed to hell.

A better idea of how the show looks now:

A bit more insight about what they've been doing:

Dope. Going to use this on a Vegeta piece I made lol

Wasn't there an interview with Toriyama that gave an explanation for why goten and trunks have tails? Something about the tail being a recessive trait so not all human/Saiyan hybrids are born with tails?

Saiyan genes have an extraordinarily good compatibility with Earthling blood. Because of this, when the two races are mixed together children with formidable power are born. Particularly, those Halflings born without tails hide an exceptional battle power. There are many things that they naturally master from a young age, such as the ordinarily arduous transformation into a Super Saiyan. In spite of having such an outstanding battle sense, they do not have a fondness for battle like a pure Saiyan. Instead, it seems that the violent temperament of the Saiyan has been relaxed through their Earthling blood.

Outstanding battle sense? Honestly sounds like something pulled from thin air, because none of the Saiyan hybrids have ever shown an amazing aptitude for fighting :lol: Closest is Gohan and, as much as I love the kid, he didn't pick fighting up anywhere near as quickly as his father did. Goten and Trunks wasted the Buu Saga dicking around, only getting serious at the last minute, when it was too late for them to close the deal. They've done nothing of note since. Future Trunks is easily the standout of the group and i've never really seen signs of enhanced fighting prowess from him either. This battle sense thing falls into the tell, but not show category.

Outstanding battle sense? Honestly sounds like something pulled from thin air, because none of the Saiyan hybrids have ever shown an amazing aptitude for fighting :lol: Closest is Gohan and, as much as I love the kid, he didn't pick fighting up anywhere near as quickly as his father did. Goten and Trunks wasted the Buu Saga dicking around, only getting serious at the last minute, when it was too late for them to close the deal. They've done nothing of note since. Future Trunks is easily the standout of the group and i've never really seen signs of enhanced fighting prowess from him either. This battle sense thing falls into the tell, but not show category.

Sounds funny but if you consider that the Daizenshuu were originally written in Japanese the colorful language comes out weird. But in almost positive that the battle sense line is 100% based on the fact that they were leagues stronger as children than gohan, and their fathers. Which kind of justifies the language in my opinion.

battle sense and power are not the same thing.

One thing I've learned in reading manga and watching anime is that the literal Japanese to English translation doesn't always translate context and meaning. Kind of like how the black in goku black would translate to dark/evil goku in English same thing goes for Pitt and dark Pitt in super smash brothers. The Daizenshuu is the official canon guide book to the dragon ball world. I can't read Japanese so I have to rely on translations I see on the Internet, like the one I posted. But that post is a translation of a passage from the Daizenshuu #4. In English they may not be the same, but in Japanese the same word or phrase could mean 2 different things dependent on context.

Last edited:

This is horse ****. Toriyama just forgot to draw the damn tails

And Goten/Trunks' power levels at age 7/8 are just an example of the terrible power scaling.

Goten and Trunks at age 7/8 are several thousand orders of magnitude stronger than Gohan was at that age, Gohan at age 7 would be a god compared to Goku at age 7.

Last edited:
battle sense and power are not the same thing.

Pretty much the issue that I have, since the statement itself mentions power multiple times, but then states battle sense as if it's something else entirely. Obviouly, translations between different languages can see some meaning being lost for interpretation purposes, but as far as the statement reads in English the line about battle sense doesn't actually make any sense based on what we've seen from the Saiyan Hybrids. Greater power? Sure, I can buy that. Battle sense? No.

For Goku, Toriyama said the tail was a pain in the *** to draw so got rid of it.

For Gohan and Vegeta, Toriyama forgot to draw the tails growing back.

By the time Trunks and Goten come around, Toriyama just totally forgot anyone ever had a tail.

I believe it

Figuarts has Nappa and Vegeta figures coming out. I think they look really good. Pricy tho.

Back
Top Bottom