OFFICIAL Green Bay Packers 2010 Season Thread - SUPER BOWL XLV!!! Vs. Pittsburgh.

Originally Posted by Jehlers02

Friaj we have had him or we just got him?

This is kinda out there and i highly doubt would ever happen. Probably most Packers fan would even disagree with me on this.

But why not go get Marshawn Lynch? Dude is not in a good situation in Buffalo and alot of talent is getting wasted. You could say he has character issues, but again look where he is... Buffalo. Put him on a winning team with a real good oppurtunity to go deep in the playoffs and i bet he will play football. He's 3rd on the depth chart and there's no real future between him and the bills. I doubt we'd have to give up a whole lot for him. If i can remember correctly many people had the Packers getting Lynch in the draft and we scouted him a few years ago but he was picked by the Bills before we could get him.

Again, probably wouldnt happen, but am i crazy to think this would be a good idea? We have a window right here to go win the Superbowl. I think this guy would make our team better. I'd rather do this than stick some no name dude in their behind Brandon Jackson. I like Brandon Jackson but we need a guy who can go in there and do work. Jackson is a bit of a unproven question mark, that most likely will never be as productive as Grant.

Yeah...there are plenty of options out there, but you know how TT rolls.  He'll go with the cheapest possible option every time.

Originally Posted by Jehlers02

Friaj we have had him or we just got him?

This is kinda out there and i highly doubt would ever happen. Probably most Packers fan would even disagree with me on this.

But why not go get Marshawn Lynch? Dude is not in a good situation in Buffalo and alot of talent is getting wasted. You could say he has character issues, but again look where he is... Buffalo. Put him on a winning team with a real good oppurtunity to go deep in the playoffs and i bet he will play football. He's 3rd on the depth chart and there's no real future between him and the bills. I doubt we'd have to give up a whole lot for him. If i can remember correctly many people had the Packers getting Lynch in the draft and we scouted him a few years ago but he was picked by the Bills before we could get him.

Again, probably wouldnt happen, but am i crazy to think this would be a good idea? We have a window right here to go win the Superbowl. I think this guy would make our team better. I'd rather do this than stick some no name dude in their behind Brandon Jackson. I like Brandon Jackson but we need a guy who can go in there and do work. Jackson is a bit of a unproven question mark, that most likely will never be as productive as Grant.

Yeah...there are plenty of options out there, but you know how TT rolls.  He'll go with the cheapest possible option every time.

Although i will say that TT for the most part knows exactly what he's doing and what he wants to do. There is always a reason as to why he does what he does. And so far he's been on point. When we got Jackson TT was really high on him and said this guy could be really good. Jackson has the opportunity now to become a good back or in a sense live up to what TT was saying about him. It's very possible he could be a good back right  now. 

Who knows, if he gets the confidence he could be like a MJD, Ray Rice, or Michael Turner. *crosses fingers* (Ik its way to much to expect, nor am i expecting it, just a possibility)

Although id like to see someone like Lynch in GB considering his situation, im not gonna count Jackson out. He could be a good back. Im actually excited to see what he can do right now with whats on his table. Could be a positive for the Packers right here.

Can not wait tell week 2.

On another note, i had the option to go to the Lions game or the Cowboys game at Lambeau...I picked the Lions game. Cant wait tell October 3rd too
pimp.gif

Although i will say that TT for the most part knows exactly what he's doing and what he wants to do. There is always a reason as to why he does what he does. And so far he's been on point. When we got Jackson TT was really high on him and said this guy could be really good. Jackson has the opportunity now to become a good back or in a sense live up to what TT was saying about him. It's very possible he could be a good back right  now. 

Who knows, if he gets the confidence he could be like a MJD, Ray Rice, or Michael Turner. *crosses fingers* (Ik its way to much to expect, nor am i expecting it, just a possibility)

Although id like to see someone like Lynch in GB considering his situation, im not gonna count Jackson out. He could be a good back. Im actually excited to see what he can do right now with whats on his table. Could be a positive for the Packers right here.

Can not wait tell week 2.

On another note, i had the option to go to the Lions game or the Cowboys game at Lambeau...I picked the Lions game. Cant wait tell October 3rd too
pimp.gif

you dayum milwaukee package people...stealing tickets away from me
laugh.gif
always have the best game to

anywho ill be at the @atlanta game which should be sweet. georgia dome
pimp.gif

and ill be back in green bay for christmas so ill go to the last to home games 26th and 2nd i believe...

fraij, you still going to the patriot game? im still working on that one

you dayum milwaukee package people...stealing tickets away from me
laugh.gif
always have the best game to

anywho ill be at the @atlanta game which should be sweet. georgia dome
pimp.gif

and ill be back in green bay for christmas so ill go to the last to home games 26th and 2nd i believe...

fraij, you still going to the patriot game? im still working on that one

I dunno man I gotta find some good tickets to go to that one... Im not sittin 300 level in Foxborough in late December word to Santa Clause 6 days later.
laugh.gif

I dunno man I gotta find some good tickets to go to that one... Im not sittin 300 level in Foxborough in late December word to Santa Clause 6 days later.
laugh.gif

Brett Favre's wishes unanswered in 2007, 2008 Andrew Brandt

Print ThisSend ThisSeptember 15, 2010, 01:01 PM EST

6 Comments

The strange ranting of Randy Moss this week takes me back to the weekend of the 2007 Draft; much of it spent trying to sign Moss. It was a brief but intense negotiation that fueled some fire with Brett Favre when, for the first of two times, the Packers couldn’t agree with Moss on a contract.

Moss for sale

The Raiders bold experiment with Moss – they had traded Napoleon Harris and the 7th pick in the 2005 Draft for him – ended after two seasons when Moss could be had for a mid-round pick. Ted Thompson surprisingly had some interest, having been impressed with the way Moss handled himself at a charity event that he happened to be at in Texas.  And Brett, of course, was extremely jazzed about the idea.

Now there were two parts to the deal to make it happen. First, there had to be agreement with the Raiders on draft pick compensation. We were offering a fifth-round pick and the Patriots later came up with a fourth. That, however, was the not the key to the deal.

One-year deal breaker

Moss was scheduled to make $9.75 million for 2007 and $11.25 million in 2008. Those amounts may well have been $100 million and $200 million; he was not making what was on the contract. We needed to bring in Moss, coming off a year with a pedestrian 43 receptions, at a more reasonable number with upside.  The Patriots were also showing interest.

I negotiated with Moss’s agent while the recruiting from the alpha dogs – Brett and Tom Brady -- intensified. Moss was getting texts and calls throughout the weekend from both Favre and Brady both imploring him to come and form a powerhouse duo.

The offers from both teams were very similar for 2007, both around $3 million with additional incentives. Our proposal allowed Moss to make more than the Patriots proposal, although we had significant money tied to 45-man active roster bonuses, protecting us from injury if he could not play.

Our offer, however, required a second year in 2008. Moss and his agents were adamant that he wanted only a one-year deal. Having lost market value from his Raider experience, Moss would agree to a massive pay reduction for 2007 but wanted to hit the open market in 2008 coming off what he expected to be a big season.

The feeling in our discussions was that we did not want to rent Randy for a year only to have him shop to highest bidder in a few months trying to recoup some of his lost earnings in 2007. We discussed different ideas, but in the end we were insistent on a two-year deal.  While we haggled about an appropriate roster bonus to activate the second year of the deal, the Patriots relented on the length and agreed to a one-year deal. That was it; he was going with Brady.

Mississippi burning

Brett was livid. The rest of the weekend I was fielding calls from Bus Cook about what went wrong in trying to sign Randy. Ted did not want to deal with Bus, so I listened patiently to their rancor and tried to explain our position.

I truly empathized with Brett. He had befriended and admired Randy for years and the two of them had dreamed of playing together. Here was an opportunity for us to make it a reality. But ultimately, we stood on our principles requiring more than a one-year commitment.

I told Brett to trust what we had at the position; that Greg Jennings would be a star in a couple years. He said he didn’t have a couple of years. Brett offered to give up some of his salary for the following season – although that was his last season with the Packers (see below) -- to bring in Randy. I told that was much appreciated but we would never take his money away from him to sign another player.

Brett was forever wanting a more aggressive attitude by the front office toward player acquisition than the present regime.  My constant message that our method of drafting and developing talent rather than acquiring proven commodities only served to infuriate him and his resentment of a general manager that showed him none of the compassion and welcomed input of previous regimes.

Patriot games

Fast forward to 2008. After a wonderful year for the Patriots, catching 98 balls for 1493 yards and 23 touchdowns, Moss was a free agent as he designed, now with interest from several teams to cash in on his one-year deal. And cash in he did, re-signing with the Patriots for a three-year, $27 million deal with over $14 million guaranteed.

And guess what team showed some decent interest again in 2008? Yes, the Packers (along with the Eagles and Cowboys). But again, despite getting Brett's hopes up again, the Packers bowed out of the bidding (I had left the Packers at that point but heard the anger and frustration from Brett’s camp). Moss re-signed with the Patriots on March 3rd. Favre retired from the Packers on March 4th. Coincidence?

Whither Randy?

Now Moss is coming to the end of that deal with deafening silence from the Patriots about re-signing for the third time. A lot can change between now and March, but it appears he has had his run wit the team, and it’s been a successful and lucrative one. And one that found the Packers in second place for his services twice. 

Follow me on Twitter at adbrandt.

http://twitter.com/adbrandt
Interesting read to say the least...

Brett Favre's wishes unanswered in 2007, 2008 Andrew Brandt

Print ThisSend ThisSeptember 15, 2010, 01:01 PM EST

6 Comments

The strange ranting of Randy Moss this week takes me back to the weekend of the 2007 Draft; much of it spent trying to sign Moss. It was a brief but intense negotiation that fueled some fire with Brett Favre when, for the first of two times, the Packers couldn’t agree with Moss on a contract.

Moss for sale

The Raiders bold experiment with Moss – they had traded Napoleon Harris and the 7th pick in the 2005 Draft for him – ended after two seasons when Moss could be had for a mid-round pick. Ted Thompson surprisingly had some interest, having been impressed with the way Moss handled himself at a charity event that he happened to be at in Texas.  And Brett, of course, was extremely jazzed about the idea.

Now there were two parts to the deal to make it happen. First, there had to be agreement with the Raiders on draft pick compensation. We were offering a fifth-round pick and the Patriots later came up with a fourth. That, however, was the not the key to the deal.

One-year deal breaker

Moss was scheduled to make $9.75 million for 2007 and $11.25 million in 2008. Those amounts may well have been $100 million and $200 million; he was not making what was on the contract. We needed to bring in Moss, coming off a year with a pedestrian 43 receptions, at a more reasonable number with upside.  The Patriots were also showing interest.

I negotiated with Moss’s agent while the recruiting from the alpha dogs – Brett and Tom Brady -- intensified. Moss was getting texts and calls throughout the weekend from both Favre and Brady both imploring him to come and form a powerhouse duo.

The offers from both teams were very similar for 2007, both around $3 million with additional incentives. Our proposal allowed Moss to make more than the Patriots proposal, although we had significant money tied to 45-man active roster bonuses, protecting us from injury if he could not play.

Our offer, however, required a second year in 2008. Moss and his agents were adamant that he wanted only a one-year deal. Having lost market value from his Raider experience, Moss would agree to a massive pay reduction for 2007 but wanted to hit the open market in 2008 coming off what he expected to be a big season.

The feeling in our discussions was that we did not want to rent Randy for a year only to have him shop to highest bidder in a few months trying to recoup some of his lost earnings in 2007. We discussed different ideas, but in the end we were insistent on a two-year deal.  While we haggled about an appropriate roster bonus to activate the second year of the deal, the Patriots relented on the length and agreed to a one-year deal. That was it; he was going with Brady.

Mississippi burning

Brett was livid. The rest of the weekend I was fielding calls from Bus Cook about what went wrong in trying to sign Randy. Ted did not want to deal with Bus, so I listened patiently to their rancor and tried to explain our position.

I truly empathized with Brett. He had befriended and admired Randy for years and the two of them had dreamed of playing together. Here was an opportunity for us to make it a reality. But ultimately, we stood on our principles requiring more than a one-year commitment.

I told Brett to trust what we had at the position; that Greg Jennings would be a star in a couple years. He said he didn’t have a couple of years. Brett offered to give up some of his salary for the following season – although that was his last season with the Packers (see below) -- to bring in Randy. I told that was much appreciated but we would never take his money away from him to sign another player.

Brett was forever wanting a more aggressive attitude by the front office toward player acquisition than the present regime.  My constant message that our method of drafting and developing talent rather than acquiring proven commodities only served to infuriate him and his resentment of a general manager that showed him none of the compassion and welcomed input of previous regimes.

Patriot games

Fast forward to 2008. After a wonderful year for the Patriots, catching 98 balls for 1493 yards and 23 touchdowns, Moss was a free agent as he designed, now with interest from several teams to cash in on his one-year deal. And cash in he did, re-signing with the Patriots for a three-year, $27 million deal with over $14 million guaranteed.

And guess what team showed some decent interest again in 2008? Yes, the Packers (along with the Eagles and Cowboys). But again, despite getting Brett's hopes up again, the Packers bowed out of the bidding (I had left the Packers at that point but heard the anger and frustration from Brett’s camp). Moss re-signed with the Patriots on March 3rd. Favre retired from the Packers on March 4th. Coincidence?

Whither Randy?

Now Moss is coming to the end of that deal with deafening silence from the Patriots about re-signing for the third time. A lot can change between now and March, but it appears he has had his run wit the team, and it’s been a successful and lucrative one. And one that found the Packers in second place for his services twice. 

Follow me on Twitter at adbrandt.

http://twitter.com/adbrandt
Interesting read to say the least...

After further film review, the NFL has credited Packers OLB Clay Matthews with three Week 1 sacks.

He was initially credited with two. Three marks a career high for the 2009 first-round pick. Along with Mario Williams, Brian Urlacher, and LaRon Landry, Matthews was among the NFL's most dominant defenders during Week 1.

pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif

After further film review, the NFL has credited Packers OLB Clay Matthews with three Week 1 sacks.

He was initially credited with two. Three marks a career high for the 2009 first-round pick. Along with Mario Williams, Brian Urlacher, and LaRon Landry, Matthews was among the NFL's most dominant defenders during Week 1.

pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif

pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif

pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif

damn man you guys talking about going to multiple games this year i have yet to be to one! (working on getting to one soon while rodgers and co. are in their prime).

side note: all the packer reporters i follow on twitter are saying its very likely AJ Hawk will be traded soon

damn man you guys talking about going to multiple games this year i have yet to be to one! (working on getting to one soon while rodgers and co. are in their prime).

side note: all the packer reporters i follow on twitter are saying its very likely AJ Hawk will be traded soon

Yea could happen and apparently a Marshawn Lynch trade isnt out of the question even though its not necessary IMO... I mean I dont think it will be a BAD thing but I really don't see it having a ton of upside either.

Yea could happen and apparently a Marshawn Lynch trade isnt out of the question even though its not necessary IMO... I mean I dont think it will be a BAD thing but I really don't see it having a ton of upside either.

man aj hawk...did dude even play last game?

and will we even get good value if we trade him? i dont think so...just keep him in case barnett gets hurt....which is likey

i hate to admit it but we are super thin at alot of positions...we can not afford any more injuries

man aj hawk...did dude even play last game?

and will we even get good value if we trade him? i dont think so...just keep him in case barnett gets hurt....which is likey

i hate to admit it but we are super thin at alot of positions...we can not afford any more injuries

Yeah I was super amped for him to be on the team when he was drafted in what '06? He just never really reached his potential but who knows man I still got faith in the dude... Nick Barnett didnt start playing his best football until his like 6th year.

Hawk is a great role player right now but he doesnt see the field much since it seems were spending most of our time in the Nickel package... I really dont wanna lose a player like Hawk for Marshawn who could easily flop.

BUT, if Marshawn comes on and "BEASTMODE" is in full effect ill eat crow and hopefully well win a championship.

Back
Top Bottom