OFFICIAL GSWARRIORS 2012 SEASON THREAD.

I disagree with the notion of taking risks just to take them.

Curry is arguably the best thing to happen to us since .... I dont know. But to lose him for nothing is dumb. Sabean risked it with Beltran and now we all feel stupid. If you really want to risk it, get rid of Biedrins/Lee, legit dead weight thats holding this team back.

Holding this team back from what though? If Curry is your best player, the team isn't going anywhere.

Holding back the team from flourishing. Playing the right kind of basketball. Adding pieces that will actually help.

Why can't Curry be a franchise player? Why can't a team build around him?

Originally Posted by What up

Holding back the team from flourishing. Playing the right kind of basketball. Adding pieces that will actually help.

I just don't think that Curry can be the best player on a championship team. I guess we just have different view on what Curry's ceiling is.

Its not about being the best player on a championship team.  Championship require multiple pieces.
Get Curry some help and he might get us there. Paul hasn't come close to getting it done and he's played with more established teammates than Curry. West/Chandler > Monta/Lee

Curry is a very important piece to have. One that you shouldn't just throw for one year of Chris Paul.

The Warriors +@#!*+ up bad for not getting Zach Randolph.... It's funny because it was our players that initiated the trade to land Zach Randolph in Memphis, when we dumped Harrington to the Knicks.

Now we end up with David Lee... When we couldve been resigned Randolph for like 8 years for proabably less than what Lee is making. 
sick.gif

I woke up today and decided I would sell the farm to get Chandler and Paul, only with an agreement that Chris Paul signs an extension.

Part of me would like to see the Ws a little under Coach Jackson before we make any huge moves. I'm undecided if the Monta/Curry duo is a long term solution.

Its not about being the best player on a championship team.  Championship require multiple pieces.
It is though. You can have all of the other pieces, but if you don't have the guy, you're not going to win a title. Trading for that player seldom happens because, well, teams that have those players don't want to trade those players. And if they are on the market, it's a Carmelo-type situation, where he's forcing his way to a certain team. Getting that player through the draft won't happen because the team is too talented to get a top pick if they miss the playoffs (unless you want to count on that 1% chance or whatever to win the lottery).
I'm just different though because I'd rather have the Warriors win 18 games five seasons in a row than be where they're at now or even at their peak, which I think is like a 7th or 8th seed and a 1st round exit.

Originally Posted by FRANCHISE 55

I just don't think that Curry can be the best player on a championship team. I guess we just have different view on what Curry's ceiling is.
What is this.... Its certainly not Maybach Music.....
Steph Curry is shaping up to be the next Steve Nash, rather Steve Nash was the old Steph Curry. You can definitely build a team around him

I'll admit, giving up Curry, Udoh, and Thompson for Paul is a lot. Who would be our bench?? You guys think J-Rich may be looked at to help the team? Idk, if he would accept a bench role though.

I agree with the ones that would rather take the risk then staying in mediocrity our whole warrior fanhood lives.  Also, because I do feel if we amnesty David Lee, we could have a pretty good chance of getting CP3's buddy Dwight the following year.

I love Steph but I honestly don't see him being this "franchise" guy that some of you are making him out to be.  I'm probably still one of the only ones that would rather trade Steph than Monta.  I get that Monta is not your classic SG size mold but he's a special player to me.  The way I see it, CP3 could guard some of the bigger guards while Monta could take the smaller ones.  Yes I know, Monta isn't this ALL world defender but I feel he's definitely under rated in that category and waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay better than Steph, who can't guard his own shadow.  Not sure how money factors in, but I'd love having the idea of Tayshuan being on this team too. 

This might be a pipe dream but for my numbers folks, can y'all tell me if this is possible for next year:

CP3
Monta
Prince
*insert someone to take D Lee's place, since I'm figuring we can amnesty him to get Dwight*
Dwight

This team would be a pretty solid defensive team, imo.  You have probably the top defensive PG currently, great defender in Prince, and THE BEST defender in Dwight.

Originally Posted by Iceberg Slim

Steph Curry is shaping up to be the next Steve Nash, rather Steve Nash was the old Steph Curry. You can definitely build a team around him
If you say so. If I knew Curry would be Steve Nash in a few years then I wouldn't do the trade. But if the Warriors thought Curry would be the next Nash, the Warriors wouldn't even be thinking about pulling the trigger.

This is what MT wrote just a couple moments ago: 
Talked to a couple sources about this Steph Curry for Chris Paul stuff. From what I’m being told, this was always a calculated reach. New Orleans expressed interest in trading CP3 to the Warriors, so Golden State engaged. The expectation wasn’t that anything would get done because Paul wouldn’t sign long term.

However, there may be a circumstance in which the Warriors would take CP3 on a rental … if New Orleans takes Monta Ellis.

One of the sources said Golden State is trying to get the Hornets to take Monta and pieces for CP3 instead of Curry. Not only can Curry play shooting guard because of his stroke, but he clearly has the most value and may help the Warriors make a serious play for Dwight Howard. Chandler and Curry for Dwight may sound appealing to Orlando come February. Getting Howard would be the Warriors’ best chance of convincing CP3 to sign long term.

As one can expect, New Orleans isn’t hot after Monta. But with the Clippers’ offer not including DeAndre Jordan or Eric Gordon, Monta and a few young pieces might be their best offer.

If you say so. If I knew Curry would be Steve Nash in a few years then I wouldn't do the trade. But if the Warriors thought Curry would be next Nash, the Warriors wouldn't even be thinking about pulling the trigger.
Agreed. 

If you say so. If I knew Curry would be Steve Nash in a few years then I wouldn't do the trade. But if the Warriors thought Curry would be the next Nash, the Warriors wouldn't even be thinking about pulling the trigger.
These are the same Warriors who signed David Lee a year ago.  Rational thinking and sound basketball decision making isn't their forte. 

Originally Posted by LiveMyReality

This is what MT wrote just a couple moments ago: 
Talked to a couple sources about this Steph Curry for Chris Paul stuff. From what I’m being told, this was always a calculated reach. New Orleans expressed interest in trading CP3 to the Warriors, so Golden State engaged. The expectation wasn’t that anything would get done because Paul wouldn’t sign long term.

However, there may be a circumstance in which the Warriors would take CP3 on a rental … if New Orleans takes Monta Ellis.

One of the sources said Golden State is trying to get the Hornets to take Monta and pieces for CP3 instead of Curry. Not only can Curry play shooting guard because of his stroke, but he clearly has the most value and may help the Warriors make a serious play for Dwight Howard. Chandler and Curry for Dwight may sound appealing to Orlando come February. Getting Howard would be the Warriors’ best chance of convincing CP3 to sign long term.

As one can expect, New Orleans isn’t hot after Monta. But with the Clippers’ offer not including DeAndre Jordan or Eric Gordon, Monta and a few young pieces might be their best offer.
100% agree with this.

These are the same Warriors who signed David Lee a year ago.  Rational thinking and sound basketball decision making isn't their forte. 
But, BUT Jerry West is now on board. 
laugh.gif

It is though. You can have all of the other pieces, but if you don't have the guy, you're not going to win a title. Trading for that player seldom happens because, well, teams that have those players don't want to trade those players. And if they are on the market, it's a Carmelo-type situation, where he's forcing his way to a certain team. Getting that player through the draft won't happen because the team is too talented to get a top pick if they miss the playoffs (unless you want to count on that 1% chance or whatever to win the lottery).
I'm just different though because I'd rather have the Warriors win 18 games five seasons in a row than be where they're at now or even at their peak, which I think is like a 7th or 8th seed and a 1st round exit.

Forgot to address this...
Say you have THE guy in Paul.  You pair him up with Monta, Lee and Chandler and kicking Biedrins to the curb.

Paul - $16.4

Monta - $11

Lee - $11.6

Chandler $13 (can be as high as 20 but @!@$ that)

That's $52 million out of a $58 million cap!

(If you keep Biedrins then the total is $48 million but without Chandler)

Who are the rest of your guys?!  Is that core even good enough to make it to the playoffs?  I seriously have my doubts with Paul's knee, Monta's style of play and Chandler always being a mediocre center who played 74 games last year his most since 04-05.

I see the appeal in getting THE GUY.  But because of OUR GUYS, we're more than limited.  

We don't have to blow the entire thing up.  Get a fair deal for Monta and get rid of Biedrins.  That will allow us financial wiggle room to improve the club.  Will it be a championship contender - probably not.  But Paul and Co. wouldn't get us there either.

P.S.  I'm also pro Curry because I just enjoy watching the kid play.  I'm so numb to losing, at least I get satisfaction in watching my guys play every night.

I hear what you are saying 715, but if you amnesty Lee, hope Paul makes Andris look serviceable and trade him, doesnt that scenario give us money for Chris' pal Dwight? Doesnt Paul, Monta, Wright, whoever, and Dwight make you an elite team if you fill the roster with vets and role players?

Originally Posted by dland24

I hear what you are saying 715, but if you amnesty Lee, hope Paul makes Andris look serviceable and trade him, doesnt that scenario give us money for Chris' pal Dwight? Doesnt Paul, Monta, Wright, whoever, and Dwight make you an elite team if you fill the roster with vets and role players?

To answer your question directly - yes.  All of that put together is a recipe for success.
But now you're putting all your hopes on Biedrins' shoulders.  Even Biedrins' parents don't have that much faith in the kid.  He had an Andres Torres type season and got paid for it.  He came back down to Earth and has played within his basketball talent since.

Lets say Paul and Howard each sign and average to make roughly 40 million per season together (and that's SUPER conservative).  Monta is making 11 and Wright makes 4.  That's 55.  You would have to fill this team with utter trash.  Jeff Adrien, Acie Law ... I mean, wouldn't Amundson be out of our budget?  That just away says it all. 

Am I missing something, fellas?  Until the Heat/Knicks make it work, I'm not a believer in having 1/2/3 players hog >85% of your payroll. 

Iceberg Slim, I see that youre a Spurs fan ... Ever been to AT&T Center?

I need tips for getting some grub before the game and cheap parking.

Back
Top Bottom