OFFICIAL HOCKEY THREAD: NHL, KHL, NCAA, IIHL

Going to the game tonight. Good luck, Pro.

Spoiler [+]
Not really. Buwahahahahahaha.
tongue.gif

Five thoughts in the immediate aftermath:

1. Congrats to the Capitals, and their fans. Well deserved.

2. McPhee and Hunter look like geniuses for a) signing a proven clutch performer like Joel Ward, and b) finally getting the Caps to buy into a defensive style of play (look at their blocked shot totals). Regardless of how far the Caps go, I'm really intrigued to see what happens with these two in the off-season. Specifically, I know that Hunter wanted to return to the London Knights for this year's OHL Playoffs, but I wonder if he'll be convinced to stay in Washington for a few more seasons after a victory of this magnitude.

3. I hope I never have to see these faces (Doug Jarvis and Geoff Ward) behind the Bruins bench again. Their combined ineptitude has been obvious for three seasons, and frankly, they should not be coaching in the NHL.

dougjarvis2.jpg
ward_geoff_0809.jpg

4. Thomas will be unfairly blamed for this series, and likely run out of town. TT played well in this series, and contrary to what I've said previous, I think it would be a mistake trading him now-- that is, unless he wants out.

5. Regarding Ward and the subsequent Twitter reaction, I know it ruins the narrative, but many of those tweets aren't from Bruins fans. Nevertheless, the tweets are disgusting, and inexcusable.

Yeah...the million-dollar question is what happens to Dale Hunter after the playoffs are done?

He's only signed through this season and from my understanding, it was a mutual agreement. Like Mike Knuble said, it took the 60 games that Hunter was here for ALL the players to buy in to his system. However, Dale is not without flaws. Even with the team moving on, he's had some VERY questionable decisions regarding playing time. And I'm not even talking about Ovechkin.

Everything balanced out in game 7, as I don't think there was a forward who played over 20 minutes (Ovechkin played 16). Top-6 were between 15-18 minutes, and the reason why some of the other guys were closer to 20 was because of being on the PK.

It feels good to actually win a game 7 and sit back and relax for one day knowing that your season will go on. Next round's opponent is still up in the air, but I don't think there will be a series in the East (going forward) that will be as tough as what the Caps just went through. If they can play like they did vs. the Bs, I really like this team's chances no matter who they are playing.

Originally Posted by DoubleJs07

Yeah...the million-dollar question is what happens to Dale Hunter after the playoffs are done?

it's him or Ovechkin
I am telling like I said before; the writing is on the wall for him to be traded...he hasn't contributed much to this series at all and they won

look what the Flyers did with Richards and Carter; got rid of two highly coveted players and brought in youth and more overall talent

Originally Posted by StillIn729

it's him or Ovechkin
I am telling like I said before; the writing is on the wall for him to be traded...he hasn't contributed much to this series at all and they won

look what the Flyers did with Richards and Carter; got rid of two highly coveted players and brought in youth and more overall talent

Bro...i'm telling you right now that there's a 0% chance that Ovechkin is traded this summer. 

Ovechkin's clout with the organization (right now) >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Dale Hunter (as a coach).

It's not even debatable.  Richards and Carter had problems OFF the ice that led to them being moved out.  Ovechkin is the franchise.  He is DC hockey.  You trade him, then I wish Ted all the best in trying to get STH to renew their plans for the upcoming seasons. 

Ovechkin had 5 points in 7 games while going head-to-head with the best defensive pairing in the NHL.  On top of it all, look at his CAREER playoff #'s.  He's tried to put the team on his damn back, and they've had little success even when he was scoring a lot.  This year, it's more balanced.  Which is a GREAT thign going forward.  It doesn't have to just be on #8.  You're getting contributions from guys like Matt Hendricks, Joel Ward, Jay Beagle, etc.  

In the next round, I totally expect Ovechkin to be turned loose.  There isn't another team in the East who boasts a defensive pairing like what they saw in Chara/Seidenberg.  I'm not saying it's going to be easy or a cakewalk, but it will be nothing compared to what he just went through. 

it's him or Ovechkin

Bro...i'm telling you right now that there's a 0% chance that Ovechkin is traded this summer. 

Ovechkin's clout with the organization (right now) >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Dale Hunter (as a coach).

It's not even debatable.  Richards and Carter had problems OFF the ice that led to them being moved out.  Ovechkin is the franchise.  He is DC hockey.  You trade him, then I wish Ted all the best in trying to get STH to renew their plans for the upcoming seasons. 

Ovechkin had 5 points in 7 games while going head-to-head with the best defensive pairing in the NHL.  On top of it all, look at his CAREER playoff #'s.  He's tried to put the team on his damn back, and they've had little success even when he was scoring a lot.  This year, it's more balanced.  Which is a GREAT thign going forward.  It doesn't have to just be on #8.  You're getting contributions from guys like Matt Hendricks, Joel Ward, Jay Beagle, etc.  

In the next round, I totally expect Ovechkin to be turned loose.  There isn't another team in the East who boasts a defensive pairing like what they saw in Chara/Seidenberg.  I'm not saying it's going to be easy or a cakewalk, but it will be nothing compared to what he just went through. 

winning brings season ticket holders to a building more than disappointing season after season because of a star player
sitting your "franchise" player to have a better chance to win in the 3rd period says something to me; I am not saying he will be traded but I would not be surprised if he is...especially if the Caps make a run and he doesn't have much to do with it

Real tough to choose between Hunter and Ovechkin. I mean its impossible to find coaches like Dale Hunter these days.

laugh.gif

no one believes Ovi is seriously getting moved... right?

*goes back to lurkin in this thread*

congrats Double Js and congrats Joel Ward... finally provin his worth and that hes a different animal in the post season
pimp.gif

it's him or Ovechkin

winning brings season ticket holders to a building more than disappointing season after season because of a star player
sitting your "franchise" player to have a better chance to win in the 3rd period says something to me; I am not saying he will be traded but I would not be surprised if he is...especially if the Caps make a run and he doesn't have much to do with it

Dale Hunter decisions regarding PT has been questionable at best.  There is no rationale to playing Dennis Wideman (who was the worst player between the two teams) more than Mike Green, who had a GREAT series.  There is no rationale to giving Keith Aucion more time on the PP than guys like Brouwer, Semin, and Ovechkin.  It goes on and on. 

And another thing I don't think you understand....

DC hockey was DEAD until Ovechkin got here.  He is the single-most important player in the HISTORY of the franchise.  And for a fair-weather sports town, that means a lot.  If he goes, so do the STH.  You'll have a REAL hard time selling your team to people who are only attached because of the excitement that Ovechkin brings. 

There isn't a chance in hell he's moved.  The only guys who are probably locks to be gone after this season are Wideman, Schultz, Knuble, Halpern, and Erskine (might be more, but that's off the top of my head). 

Originally Posted by JewSeeJay

laugh.gif

no one believes Ovi is seriously getting moved... right?

*goes back to lurkin in this thread*

congrats Double Js and congrats Joel Ward... finally provin his worth and that hes a different animal in the post season
pimp.gif
says the guy who called Torres hit clean

Dale Hunter decisions regarding PT has been questionable at best.  There is no rationale to playing Dennis Wideman (who was the worst player between the two teams) more than Mike Green, who had a GREAT series.  There is no rationale to giving Keith Aucion more time on the PP than guys like Brouwer, Semin, and Ovechkin.  It goes on and on. 

And another thing I don't think you understand....

DC hockey was DEAD until Ovechkin got here.  He is the single-most important player in the HISTORY of the franchise.  And for a fair-weather sports town, that means a lot.  If he goes, so do the STH.  You'll have a REAL hard time selling your team to people who are only attached because of the excitement that Ovechkin brings. 

There isn't a chance in hell he's moved.  The only guys who are probably locks to be gone after this season are Wideman, Schultz, Knuble, Halpern, and Erskine (might be more, but that's off the top of my head). 
DC hockey will be dead again if they hold on to Ovechkin and don't win anything; that only lasts so long
I'm giving my opinion on the matter and we disagree; I think he could be traded and you don't...fair enough 

One more thing to add in regards to Ovechkin/Flyers/Carter/Richards.

Flyers have a RICH history that includes SC wins. Richards/Carter were good players...but let's be real. They were NEVER the face of the franchise. Caps have nothing to show in their 35 years of existence other than the SC Finals sweep at the hands of the Red Wings back in 98'. This is exactly why Ovechkin means so much to the team and the city. Trading him right now would be crippling. Keeping him on the roster will not hinder things going forward. Like I mentioned before, they have assets in draft picks to move, cap space, and one of the best prospects in the world possibly coming to the NHL next year. Regardless of how Hunter is allocating minutes, this is STILL Ovechkin's team.

*and fwiw, I think comparing Ovechkin to Richards/Carter is very poor because there were extenuating circumstances that led to them being moved out.  You know damn well if they weren't partying too much, doing drugs, or sleeping with teammates wives...they'd both still be in Philly. 

Congrats, Js and other Caps fans. Still a very difficult Game 7 OT defeat to take. Looking forward to the decisive NYR/OTT and NJ/FLA games tonight. 

Rangers need to play like they didn't at the end of game 6. Play rangers hockey they have been all year. They haven't been playing that way at times this series. But i can't wait for the game tonight.

From a business perspective it makes more sense to keep Ovi and perhaps have a worse chance for the Cup than to move him and give the team a better shot at it.

Originally Posted by rashi

Spoiler [+]
tongue.gif

laugh.gif
 Good luck to you as well.

Spoiler [+]
Serious, been a good series hope it ends like that.  Be rooting for whoever wins this to move on.

Gotta disagree with you DJ's, I think the time would be now to move him.  Especially if they win another round with him playing a somewhat minor role.  Semin is gone for sure but I'd look into moving Ovie as well.

Ovechkin is not leaving DC at all. Seriously, it's like trading Crosby in Pittsburgh. Ovechkin is the face of the Capitals franchise.

Yea but one face has been to two finals with one Cup. The other has a team that choked in the playoffs (not his fault of course) and won big games with him on the bench against Boston. Not saying it will or should happen but it wouldn't shock me at all.

Originally Posted by Solemate96

Ovechkin is not leaving DC at all. Seriously, it's like trading Crosby in Pittsburgh. Ovechkin is the face of the Capitals franchise.

Wayne Gretzky was traded and Oilers ended up better than the Kings...no one is saying it is going to happen I simply stated I could see it happening
never say never; his numbers has dropped vastly in the past two seasons and the Capitals teams have gotten worse 

at some point the face of the franchise starts to turn...I lived through the Eric Lindros era

Originally Posted by Proshares

Originally Posted by rashi

Spoiler [+]
tongue.gif

laugh.gif
 Good luck to you as well.

Spoiler [+]
Serious, been a good series hope it ends like that.  Be rooting for whoever wins this to move on.

Gotta disagree with you DJ's, I think the time would be now to move him.  Especially if they win another round with him playing a somewhat minor role.  Semin is gone for sure but I'd look into moving Ovie as well.

There isn't anyone out there who would replace his value/scoring.  What type of return are we talking about? 

Hypothetically, let's say Semin walks.  He was the 2nd leading goal scorer with 21....yes, 21 goals on the year.  Ovechkin led the team with 38.  After Semin, it was Chimera with 20 and Brouwer with 18. 

If the team deals him, it would be taking an enormous step backwards.  Remember, they BARELY made the playoffs and it took until game 81 to lock up a spot. 

After the season is done, let's see what George McPhee can do with the cap space he has, possibly adding Kuznetsov, or if he thinks he can move the draft the draft pick.  I'm a little more optimistic about the team's future than how it's currently constructed. 

Wayne Gretzky was traded and Oilers ended up better than the Kings...no one is saying it is going to happen I simply stated I could see it happening

Granted they had their dynasty, but what's been the state of the Oilers since the Gretzky trade?  I know they had their one run to the SC Finals back in mid 00's, but they have been a mediocre team for the most part. 

Ovechkin is ONLY 26....you gotta ride this one out for at least another 2-3 seasons to see where this can go.  He's got excellent chemistry with Backstrom and they form an amazing 1-2 punch.  No need to panic right now. 

*Lindros was damaged goods when he was traded. 

**Sorry for the triple-edit....but again, you can't compare guys like Lindros and even Crosby to Ovechkin.  Neither guy was the face of the entire franchise.  I'm not just talking about the face of a specific era...but the ENTIRE franchise. 

Flyers have a rich tradition (and SC titles).  Pens have a rich tradition AND Lemieux (to go w. SC titles).  Caps have a 1998 sweep as the crowning achievement in the history of the team.  We have nothing.  Absolutely nothing.  Ovechkin has single-handedly made the Caps the second most popular team in the city.  I can't stress enough that if he's moved right now, you can say goodbye to about 1/4 of the fans who pay premimum to watch the team play. 

Like I said before...give it 2-3 seasons and see what happens. 

***edit***

the fourth edit is for my boy Physicx....HBD
pimp.gif

GM GM will have a golden opportunity to get some good value for Ovie this summer and maybe even an overpay. If he feels he should trade Ovie, then wait out the Parise FA market and the Nash trade. Detroit, LA, NYR and San Jose (sure I'm forgetting a few) will all be in those markets big time. Couple of em strike out and he steps in, I think you can get a good package especially from the Sharks.

But it is too early to speculate all that and you're right, they are moving in a better direction.

Back
Top Bottom