OFFICIAL HOCKEY THREAD: NHL, KHL, NCAA, IIHL

Happy Birthday Physicx
pimp.gif

Spoiler [+]
Blow out some candles soon and wish for a Devils win.

Trading Ovi would be so stupid, he's an elite talent in this league, and he's 26, in this prime and even in a down year he was 4th or 5th in the league in goals and when you look at the type of contracts teams are handing out to players on the wrong side of 30 desperate to get premium talent (brad Richards), guys his age and his production don't get traded.

He makes this team dangerous, they simply do not win without him, they are not even in the playoffs if not for him and every time in every playoff series, he answered the bell, semin, backstrom, green have been ghost a number of times.

Backstrom and Semin are nice players, but they simply do not draw the amount of attention, create the amount of chaos that #8 does the minute he steps on the ice, an nor do I think they could perform nearly as well the all the opponents resources dedicated to stopping them.

Dale Hunter is simply a buffoon, and the Caps won because of Holtby and a fair amount of luck, not because of Dale hunter some genius.

Whoa I wouldn't put Backstrom and Semin in the same breath. Backstrom was their best player until he went down. You can't even fault him for being a partial ghost, he just came back from the concussion for the playoffs.

Again, I'm not saying trade him. But if you get a package similar to what NYR/SJ were offering for Nash, you have to at least think about it.

Originally Posted by StillIn729

Happy B-Day Physicx!
congrats on the Oilers 23rd straight #1 pick 
laugh.gif

laugh.gif
laugh.gif

HBD Physicx. 

Originally Posted by will068

Classic Boston Fans:

http://chirpstory.com/li/6781

A complete 360 turn -- going from a city of NHL Champion city to a disgusting city composed of lowlives and racists.

Not surprised one bit though. 

Wow really?  These people still exists in this world? 
30t6p3b.gif

Loss may send Tim Thomas to trade block.

Spoiler [+]
The first clue Tim Thomas had that his season ended abruptly was the crowd's reaction. His head was buried in Mike Knuble's stomach, having just saved the big forward's backhand attempt in overtime. Thomas never saw Joel Ward knock home the series-clinching rebound.

Until that moment, Thomas had visions of a Stanley Cup repeat. He had to. That's just how he operates. You don't win a Stanley Cup, Vezina Trophy and a Conn Smythe by anticipating failure.

"I have to say, I'm probably in shock," he told reporters in the Bruins' dressing room following the loss. "I really had a deep feeling this wasn't the end of the road for us tonight, that this wasn't going to be the last game of the season."

It turned out to be exactly that. It's also quite possible it was the last game of Thomas' Bruins career.

Thomas' no-trade clause expires July 1 and he'll be entering the final year of a contract that averages $5 million per season. According to CapGeek.com, his actual salary next year is just $3 million.

When I chatted with an NHL source on Wednesday about Thomas' future, he said it could have very well hinged on the success of the Bruins in Game 7.

"I don't know if Boston can trade him if he makes another run," he said.

That's no longer an obstacle.

Tuukka Rask is a restricted free agent and due for a nice raise. There's a group of teams circling for a shot at one of the young goalies around the league -- like the Predators' Anders Lindback and the Kings' Jonathan Bernier -- who are ready to start, and Rask is certainly in that group. The competition for Rask's services becomes even more intense if Cory Schneider stays in Vancouver, which very much looks like the case.

That leaves the Bruins susceptible to an offer sheet for the 25-year-old Rask, who was 11-8-3 with a 2.05 goals-against average and .929 save percentage in the regular season -- numbers that indicate he's more than ready to assume the starting role in Boston.

The Bruins simply can't afford to tie up too much cap space in both goalies. It's also unnecessary. Rask has proved he's ready to start and Thomas will have a ton of value for GM Peter Chiarelli on the trade market coming off another strong season.

Thomas was 35-19-1 in the regular season with a 2.36 GAA and .920 save percentage. He didn't equal his playoff success from last season, but neither has any other goalie in history.

He finished this postseason 3-4 with a 2.14 GAA and .923 save percentage. He's 38 years old but Boston has always done a good job managing his workload and he has at least one more standout season left in him. I wouldn't be surprised at all if it's more than one, considering 2014 is an Olympic year, when the chance to cap his career with a gold medal would provide the perfect motivation for the highly competitive Thomas.

The kind of team that would target Thomas would be one that believes it's either a playoff contender or on the verge of contention. One that is an elite goalie away from doing something special. And Thomas could be that elite goalie, a much more attractive option than Roberto Luongo, if for no other reason than it's a short-term risk. His contract comes off the books in a year. But his track record during the playoffs is also significantly better.

Toronto GM Brian Burke isn't the kind of guy who would have appreciated Thomas' decision to skip the White House visit, but he's also familiar with Thomas' game and the Maple Leafs would be all but a lock to make the playoffs with a healthy Thomas as their goalie. The Lightning need a goalie, too, although GM Steve Yzerman's preference might be to go younger to find a long-term solution to Tampa's goaltending issues, especially since he gambled and lost on another veteran goalie in Dwayne Roloson.

The Blackhawks would be an outstanding fit for Thomas, although Chicago already has two goalies under contract next season in Corey Crawford and Ray Emery. One could be sent back the other way to back up Rask in Boston if that's the direction GM Stan Bowman decides to go this offseason.

And what about New Jersey? This could be it for Martin Brodeur and there's not a solution in waiting as his replacement. Thomas would be a fantastic short-term fix for Lou Lamoriello, while also providing time for Scott Wedgewood to develop.

According to multiple sources, the expectation is that the salary cap will be dropping when the new CBA is settled, which tightens things up even more for the Bruins. Besides the Rask contract, Boston has Chris Kelly staring down unrestricted free agency and a couple potential holes to fill on defense. The Bruins would probably like an upgrade at forward if possible, with their power-play struggles highlighted in the first-round loss to the Capitals.

It's been a long time since Marc Savard contributed regularly to this team and yet coach Claude Julien acknowledged that Boston never quite replaced his contributions on the power play.

"You miss a guy like Savard, who was so good on the right-handed wall," Julien said during his postgame news conference Wednesday night. "There are some things we have to look at. Now isn't the time to discuss all of this."

The time will come soon enough, and the tough decision regarding their franchise goalie will have to be made.
[h3]Notes[/h3]
• Thomas remains one of my favorite players to cover simply because of his willingness and ability to articulate exactly what he's seeing on the ice during crucial moments. When he met with reporters after the game last night, he broke down the winning goal in fascinating detail: "You see Knuble coming down with the puck, coming to the net hard. He's a big, strong guy, looked like to me he could cut across the net. He could go both ways. I had to play him straight up. When he got in closer to me, he got stuck on his backhand there. I was just trying to play him honest and wait for him to take a shot. I didn't want to go down until after he released the puck. Then he put it on the net backhand. His momentum continued into me. I'm not calling sour grapes, but it's reality. It pushed me out of the way just enough to open up the net for Ward to put it in. I didn't even see Ward put it in." I love that kind of detail.

• Two more Game 7s Thursday night, as the first round sadly comes to an end. It's been fantastic hockey so far, setting a great pace for the rest of the playoffs and I wouldn't be surprised if at least one of tonight's games ends up in overtime. The New York Times had a story setting up Game 7 between the Rangers and Senators that delves into the huge impact Chris Neil has had in the series.

This postseason is proving that you still need some physicality and sandpaper to win in the playoffs, something a couple of the early-exit teams in the West lacked. Neil has one more year remaining on a deal averaging $2 million per season. Can you imagine the payday that would have come this summer had he timed this big postseason with unrestricted free agency?

• The Panthers have plenty of competition for attention today in the crowded Miami sports market with the NFL draft kicking off and LeBron James' Heat concluding their regular season, but Greg Cote of the Miami Herald writes that Game 7 in the NHL is the highlight of a crowded sports Thursday in South Florida. This is the first time in franchise history that the Panthers have hosted a Game 7, and Game 7s in general have been a rarity in that market. According to Cote, the Marlins have hosted only one Game 7 and that was the 11-inning win against the Indians that clinched the 1997 World Series. The Heat haven't played in a Game 7 at home since 2005. It should be a fun night in Sunrise.

Originally Posted by Proshares

Oh, that's not my opinion
laugh.gif
there's an article in the spoiler.
Pro, what's the word on Parise?  Would a deep run in the playoffs keep him in NJ? 

Also, seeing how the Governor of NJ took a big *%*! on the Nets, I wonder if his sentiments are the same for the Devils? 

*I would seriously
roll.gif
if the Panthers win a championship before the Heat 

Anything short of a Cup, he's gone IMO. Zach wants big money but also a realistic shot to win every year. I think it's New York, Detroit or LA. Even though a lot of teams will shoot out offers but those 3 stand out to me. Seeing him in a Ranger jersey would destroy me
laugh.gif
I'm still a tad bit optimistic though. Knowing Marty is back another year might help him. Henrique and Larsson taking steps forward as sophmores and maybe a FA addition might sway him.

Speaking of Marty (probably my favorite player ever) but it's bad timing he's coming back. Raask, Bernier, Schneider and Lindback all young and out there for the taking. Even Thomas as a short term gap. It would kill me to miss out on this opportunity and be stuck in two years.

NJ Gov knows how much the Devils mean to NJ and they're never leaving. He wouldn't do that to them. Nets deserve it
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by Proshares

Anything short of a Cup, he's gone IMO. Zach wants big money but also a realistic shot to win every year. I think it's New York, Detroit or LA. Even though a lot of teams will shoot out offers but those 3 stand out to me. Seeing him in a Ranger jersey would destroy me
laugh.gif
I'm still a tad bit optimistic though. Knowing Marty is back another year might help him. Henrique and Larsson taking steps forward as sophmores and maybe a FA addition might sway him.

Speaking of Marty (probably my favorite player ever) but it's bad timing he's coming back. Raask, Bernier, Schneider and Lindback all young and out there for the taking. Even Thomas as a short term gap. It would kill me to miss out on this opportunity and be stuck in two years.

NJ Gov knows how much the Devils mean to NJ and they're never leaving. He wouldn't do that to them. Nets deserve it
laugh.gif
I'll @#%!$@% puke if he goes to the Rangers.  He'll have to take a massive pay cut to go there, I'm assuming. 

Originally Posted by Osh Kosh Bosh

Dale Hunter is simply a buffoon, and the Caps won because of Holtby and a fair amount of luck, not because of Dale hunter some genius.
Dale's also a drunk, but he was able to impart a defensive style of play the Capitals had resisted in previous years.

Perhaps the best indicator of defensive play is blocked shots (BS). Consider their BS averages of the last 5 post-seasons:

[table][tr][td] [/td] [td]2007-08[/td] [td]2008-09[/td] [td]2009-10[/td] [td]2010-11[/td] [td]2011-12[/td] [/tr][tr][td]TOTAL BS[/td] [td]102[/td] [td]188[/td] [td]109[/td] [td]159[/td] [td]139[/td] [/tr][tr][td]GP[/td] [td]7[/td] [td]14[/td] [td]7[/td] [td]9[/td] [td]7[/td] [/tr][tr][td]BS/G[/td] [td]14.57143[/td] [td]13.42857[/td] [td]15.57143[/td] [td]17.66667[/td] [td]19.85714[/td] [/tr][/table]
Through the first round, the Capitals are blocking an additional 2+ shots than they were in last year's playoffs (when the Boudreau and McPhee shifted the team's direction), and 6+ shots more than they were in their deepest run 3 seasons ago. Moreover, the Caps lead the NHL in blocked shots during the first round (139), and are third in blocked shots per game. It is important to acknowledge that while the above table indicates a general improvement in this category, Hunter certainly deserves some of the credit (along with Gabby) for his team's recent commitment to defensive hockey.

Some other big news today:
[h1][/h1]
[h1]Luongo willing to waive NTC for Leafs[/h1]
Sportsnet Staff | April 26, 2012, 12:45 am

The off-season just got a lot more interesting for the Toronto Maple Leafs.

Vancouver Canucks goaltender Roberto Luongo confirmed with Sportsnet's Dan Murphy Wednesday night that the Maple Leafs are on the short list of teams he will waive his no-trade clause for. The Tampa Bay Lightning are also said to be on the list that Luongo will reportedly file to Canucks general manager Mike Gillis early next week.

According to Sportsnet’s Nick Kypreos, Luongo told the Canucks in his exit meeting that he would welcome a trade.

Nick Kypreos @RealKyper

#SNPlayoffs #Canucks Luongo asks for trade. Van didn't even need to ask him to waive NTC. He tells them himself in exit meeting he wants out

26 Apr 12

Although Gillis said that Luongo and backup Cory Schneider can co-exist next season, it became clear the 26-year-old Schneider was the team's future in goal after he replaced Luongo two games into the Canucks' first-round loss to the Los Angeles Kings.

Luongo, 33, has 10 years remaining on his current contract with an annual cap hit of $5.3 million, while Schneider is due to become a restricted free agent this summer and will require a significant raise from his current $900,000 salary.

The Leafs are in desperate need of help in goal after finishing 29th in goals against with James Reimer the only netminder currently under contract for next season.

Luongo posted a 31-14-8 record during the regular season with a 2.41 goals-against average, .919 save percentage and five shutouts for the Presidents' Trophy winners.

Originally Posted by True Blues

Some other big news today:
[h1][/h1]
[h1]Luongo willing to waive NTC for Leafs[/h1]
Sportsnet Staff | April 26, 2012, 12:45 am

The off-season just got a lot more interesting for the Toronto Maple Leafs.

Vancouver Canucks goaltender Roberto Luongo confirmed with Sportsnet's Dan Murphy Wednesday night that the Maple Leafs are on the short list of teams he will waive his no-trade clause for. The Tampa Bay Lightning are also said to be on the list that Luongo will reportedly file to Canucks general manager Mike Gillis early next week.

According to Sportsnet’s Nick Kypreos, Luongo told the Canucks in his exit meeting that he would welcome a trade.

Nick Kypreos @RealKyper

#SNPlayoffs #Canucks Luongo asks for trade. Van didn't even need to ask him to waive NTC. He tells them himself in exit meeting he wants out

26 Apr 12

laugh.gif
  I hope he doesn't think he won't be under the microscope if he goes to Toronto.  

That would be a horrible move.  He'd be FRIED by the media and fans 10x more if he has any mental lapses etc.  IMO, he should waive the NTC to go to somewhere like Tampa.  Way less pressure and the team is in better shape than the Leafs. 

Luongo, 33, has 10 years remaining on his current contract

sick.gif

Luongo wants to go to Toronto? He'll get eating alive by the media and fans 
laugh.gif

Realistically, where do you guys see Tim Thomas fitting?  Tampa? Chicago? 

That NJ option doesn't sound half bad TBH. But that'd only be if Marty decided to hang em up and everything is kinda leaning that he's back for another round.

Originally Posted by FrenchBlue23

Luongo wants to go to Toronto? He'll get eating alive by the media and fans 
laugh.gif

Realistically, where do you guys see Tim Thomas fitting?  Tampa? Chicago? 
Vancouver is worse than Toronto, the Canucks are the only thing in Vancouve, the micro scope is stronger. If he survived in Vancouver he'll be fine in Toronto.

I really like Parise reminds me of Alfredson a bit, underrated I think.

The funny thing is im not really that stressed about this game 7 for the sens, probably because I was looking up nail yakupov scouting reports at the beginning of this season.

As my current favorite player in the league, its sad to see this kind of ending to his chapter in Vancity. But at least its a little less messy than Bure in 98
He'll be remembered as 1b in Canucks goaltending history. 1a being Kirk Maclean.

I wonder what T. Dot would give up for him....

tired.gif
 @ some of the comments about Joel Ward after last night. Even more shameful is that a lot of the come from Boston fans 
indifferent.gif
. Can't be having these idiots that are always giving Boston sports fans a bad name 
30t6p3b.gif

thanks for the bday love fellas

NFL draft and 2 game 7s in hockey
pimp.gif

LEGOOOOOO

ps. low blow still, low blow
laugh.gif

Back
Top Bottom