OFFICIAL HOCKEY THREAD: NHL, KHL, NCAA, IIHL

Originally Posted by cquan05

Originally Posted by Solemate96

Originally Posted by FrenchBlue23

Speaking of P.K., he's also represented by Don Meehan 
laugh.gif

I have a feeling Dean Lombardi will give into the asking price of 7 Mil.   I can remember Jack Johnson wanting 6 Mil per, and got 4.3 without having an agent, but he's no Doughty though.  

If that's the case, there's gonna be some more dealing to free up cap space, since last I heard, the Kings want to keep a maximum 60 Mil cap, and they're at 55 now without Doughty. 
Didn't he miss the first day of camp with The Kings? Who would they deal to free up space? They already dealt my boy Simmonds. They should just move one of the old guys on the blue line and bring someone up. 

Doughty is just chillin' in London, Ontario (His hometown)..........unless he flew out to LA yesterday or is going to today.

He's been working out with the London Knights is what I heard. 

Kings are looking to unload Rob Scuderi, they have some major depth at the D position, and it will save them the extra 3Mil.

So I just looked at the map to see where in the hell Winnipeg was in Canada.....travel is gonna be a +%%@+ for the Southeast Division this year
laugh.gif
Never looked until now.
30t6p3b.gif
Geography fail
laugh.gif

*For what Doughty is doing, he better put up 60+ points this year and get a Norris nomination. 

Originally Posted by Newbs24

Doughty or Weber would get big money from the Wings after they win the Cup and Lids retires this next offseason. I would take either.
I would take Weber over Doughty anyday of the week. That's not even a question to me as to whom I want to be my cornerstone player.

I love you Shea.

Co-sign.

Yeah, i think most people know Shea weber is better, and Doughty still wants more money
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by DoubleJs07

So I just looked at the map to see where in the hell Winnipeg was in Canada.....travel is gonna be a +%%@+ for the Southeast Division this year
laugh.gif
Never looked until now.
30t6p3b.gif
Geography fail
laugh.gif

It's also known for having some of the worst winter weather of any city in Canada. 
laugh.gif

That's the regional Jets channel they created, available in Manitoba, Saskatchewan and N. Ontario and its free til December 
pimp.gif
 so I was able to watch the pre-season game yesterday

I believe that's for the TSN Jets channel.

Ah, good looks. TSN, TSN2, SN1, Sportnet West, and the Score are enough sports channels for me, not to mention CBC. 
laugh.gif

Regardless of how I feel about Doughts personally, recall, he's 22 years old, and already among the top 5 defensemen in the league. How does that not deserve max money?

Originally Posted by True Blues

Regardless of how I feel about Doughts personally, recall, he's 22 years old, and already among the top 5 defensemen in the league. How does that not deserve max money?

Yea?  I wouldn't say top 5 but the kid is really talented.

Originally Posted by Physicx

someone threw a banana at wayne simmonds during the shootout
30t6p3b.gif

30t6p3b.gif
  Unreal....u hear about this $#@+ going on in soccer, but I thought hockey fans were better than that
30t6p3b.gif
  $#@+ is unacceptable and disgusting.  Also, I hope that whoever was in this moron's section either outted the guy or put hands on him. 

Simmonds is a GOOD dude also. 

DoubleJs07 wrote:

30t6p3b.gif

30t6p3b.gif
  Unreal....u hear about this $#@+ going on in soccer, but I thought hockey fans were better than that
30t6p3b.gif
  $#@+ is unacceptable and disgusting.  Also, I hope that whoever was in this moron's section either outted the guy or put hands on him. 

The game was played in my hometown, London, Ontario, so I feel obligated to comment.

Certainly, the racial aspect of this incident deserves discussion, but I think it is largely being overblown by the media. The following scenarios are far more likely in my opinion:
  • Given the short distance from London to Detroit, there is a large community of Red Wings fans in the city and surrounding areas. Next to the Leafs, the Wings are by far the most popular NHL team in Southwestern Ontario. From what I'm told, the crowd last night was overwhelming partisan in favour of the Wings. A Wings fan-- probably drunk-- may have attempted to disrupt the Flyers in the shootout by throwing something on the ice.
  • The annual Flyers preseason game at the John Labatt Centre is typically an attraction for college and university students. In fact, I believe the JLC offers group ticket discounts to students. This has been problematic historically. For example, two students sitting near the Comcast (who manages the JLC) suite were ejected last year for continually chirping the former Flyer, Dave Schultz. Additionally, three years ago, a group of students in the 300-level tossed drinks and popcorn at fans sitting in the lower bowl.
  • Finally, it is also possible the fan was executing a pre-meditated plan. After all, who brings a banana to a hockey game? Admittedly, in this scenario racial animus could have been a motivating factor.
What makes the incident so strange is that Simmonds spends a lot of time in London (He is friends with both Doughty and Couture, and they often golf, and go to the bars here.), and I have never heard a bad word said about him.

Regardless, it was an inexcusable act. Just gutless. I am ashamed to be associated with the city of London right now.

EDIT: I was just browsing the local paper's website, and there appears to be no mention of the incident at all. I knew the London media was bad, but this is just irresponsible.

DoubleJs07 wrote:

30t6p3b.gif

30t6p3b.gif
30t6p3b.gif

The game was played in my hometown, London, Ontario, so I feel obligated to comment.

Certainly, the racial aspect of this incident deserves discussion, but I think it is largely being overblown by the media. The following scenarios are far more likely in my opinion:
  • Given the short distance from London to Detroit, there is a large community of Red Wings fans in the city and surrounding areas. Next to the Leafs, the Wings are by far the most popular NHL team in Southwestern Ontario. From what I'm told, the crowd last night was overwhelming partisan in favour of the Wings. A Wings fan-- probably drunk-- may have attempted to disrupt the Flyers in the shootout by throwing something on the ice.
  • The annual Flyers preseason game at the John Labatt Centre is typically an attraction for college and university students. In fact, I believe the JLC offers group ticket discounts to students. This has been problematic historically. For example, two students sitting near the Comcast (who manages the JLC) suite were ejected last year for continually chirping the former Flyer, Dave Schultz. Additionally, three years ago, a group of students in the 300-level tossed drinks and popcorn at fans sitting in the lower bowl.
  • Finally, it is also possible the fan was executing a pre-meditated plan. After all, who brings a banana to a hockey game? Admittedly, in this scenario racial animus could have been a motivating factor.
What makes the incident so strange is that Simmonds spends a lot of time in London (He is friends with both Doughty and Couture, and they often golf, and go to the bars here.), and I have never heard a bad word said about him.

Regardless, it was an inexcusable act. Just gutless. I am ashamed to be associated with the city of London right now.

EDIT: I was just browsing the local paper's website, and there appears to be no mention of the incident at all. I knew the London media was bad, but this is just irresponsible.

I don't even know what to say about this incident. It's amazing that you checked out the local paper's site and they have nothing about this. That's just unreal. 
How's Simmonds dealing with this? I hope he being the bigger man because I have been involved in these kinds of scenarios before because of my race. 

Originally Posted by DoubleJs07

30t6p3b.gif
30t6p3b.gif

I don't even know what to say about this incident. It's amazing that you checked out the local paper's site and they have nothing about this. That's just unreal. 
How's Simmonds dealing with this? I hope he being the bigger man because I have been involved in these kinds of scenarios before because of my race. 

Simmonds, as classy as he is, downplayed the whole thing...took the high road.  The whole situation sucks and I'm really sorry that he had to go through it.  Like I said before, I hope the ++%*!*@ who threw the banana is outted. 

Here's the most detailed local media account I could find (courtesy of radio station AM980):

Mayor Fontana Blasts "Idiot" Who Threw Banana at Black Hockey Player
AM980 News

9/23/2011

London Mayor Joe Fontana is speaking out against "the idiot" who threw a banana at a black NHL player during an exhibition game at the John Labatt Centre.

He's also offering an apology to Wayne Simmonds, the player who was targeted by the racist gesture, and the entire Philadelphia Flyers organization.

"It's disgusting, it's unacceptable, it's not what Londoners believe in." Fontana told AM980's McArthur in the Morning on Friday.

"We oughta throw the book at the idiot, and a public apology for starters would be the minimum, and banning him from any other sports venue would also be acceptable to me, because that's not what our London is all about."

The banana, thrown from the upper deck of the John Labatt Centre, landed directly in Simmonds path toward Red Wings goalie Jordan Pearce during the shootout.

"I don't want to apologize for the idiot, but of course on behalf of London - I would apologize to the Philadelphia player, that this is unacceptable conduct. It was one idiot who obviously doesn't reflect what we believe in. London is proud of its multicultural heritage and it's unacceptable, and I will do everything I can to make sure this is not a slight on our city." Fontana continued.

Simmonds, 23, who's from Scarborough, told reporters after the game he was unsettled by the incident.

"I don’t know if it had anything to do with the fact I’m black," he said. "I certainly hope not. When you’re black, you kind of expect (racist) things. You learn to deal with it."

"I've never had a banana thrown at me before. That's a first for me," he continued.

"When you’re a black man playing in a predominantly white man’s sport, you’ve got to come to expect things like that," he said. "Over the past 23 years of my life, I’ve come to expect some things like that. But I’m older and more mature now, I kind of just left things roll off (my back). I try not to think about stuff like that. It's over with now." he said.

Simmonds acknowledged the banana rattled him, and his only thought was to get off a shot - which went in for the Flyers’ only score in the shootout.

After the game, some of Simmonds' teammates quietly whispered inside the locker room, shaking their heads in disgust.

"I would have went and kicked that fan's *@$ myself," said one, who asked to remain nameless.

The identity of the person who threw the banana also remains a mystery as the individual, seated in the upper deck, managed to slip away without being caught by other fans or security.

Several Londoners are accepting donations in hopes of offering a reward to anyone who provides information leading to a public ID on the person who threw the banana. You can find more information here.

The incident also caught the attention of NHL Commissioner Gary Bettman who issued a statement on Friday.

``We have millions of great fans who show tremendous respect for our players and for the game,'' NHL commissioner Gary Bettman said in a statement Friday morning. ``The obviously stupid and ignorant action by one individual is in no way representative of our fans or the people of London, Ontario.''

After the game, Comcast-Spectacor, which owns the Flyers and manages the John Labatt Centre, released a statement about the incident.

"It appeared as though a fan threw an object onto the ice during the shootout. Unfortunately, we weren't able to identify the individual. We certainly don't condone such a foolish act (like this) as a player could potentially be seriously injured." said Comcast-Spectacor president and COO Peter Luukko.

"This is the eighth time we have played here in London and the fans have always been wonderful to us. The Flyers consider this our 'home away from home' and that's because this city, the fans and this spectacular arena have been so supportive of the Philadelphia Flyers."

This is not the first time a banana has been thrown at a black hockey player. Former Carolina Hurricanes goaltender Kevin Weekes had a banana thrown at him during a 2002 playoff series with the Montreal Canadiens in Montreal.

Weekes, who is now a hockey analyst for NHL Network, Versus and MSG Network as well as the co-host for CBC Hockey Night in Canada, took to his Twitter account to express his disappointment and disgust about the incident.

"I'm extremely disappointed with what happened to Wayne Simmonds tonight in London Ont. We've taken HUGE steps to grow the game of hockey, as I speak Willie O'Ree and I are in D.C. attending the Black Congressional Caucus on behalf of the NHL & ironically this takes place
frown.gif
There's NO place for this in sports since sport connects us not divides us."

O'Ree was the first black player in league history, making his debut with the Boston Bruins in 1958.

Sharks forward Logan Couture, a London-native, also took to Twitter to support Simmonds, writing: "Wayne Simmonds is a good friend of mine. To hear what happened tonight to him in my hometown us awful. No need for this in sports, or life."

Blues forward Chris Stewart, another black NHL forward, also commented on Twitter. "The incident that happened in London involving my best friend wayne simmonds was simply disgusting, its 2011 ppl need to grow up."

Back
Top Bottom